The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ants in Pets food?

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hello was wondering if anyone had any advice for this matter.

The last few mornings when I put food down for my dogs, I always only put enough down for them to eat in one sitting, the first morning I whistled for them but they didn't seem hungry. One of them ate a bit out of their bowl and seemed to just nibble on it so left the food be, and did my housework. 30 minutes later I came back to see ants all through both bowls, making me need to throw out the food. I gave the bowls a scrub out and re-filled them since my dogs barely ate any of it, they ate it all fine, so I gave the bowls a wipe out and put them up until the next feed.

Now every morning when I put food down for my pets I'll go do housework and at least one bowl will have them crawling, it only happens for their morning feed strangely enough. But thats most likely my pets will eat all the food at once for their midday and night feeds.

It's getting a real pain to keep throwing out the food all the time, I'm going to buy those ant-proof trays but they are out of stock until the New Year, I had one for years and it worked great, no ants at all but it got a giant crack in it so had to toss it.

Anyone know of a temporary fix until I can get the trays? It's getting wasteful to keep throwing the food out, I keep the food stored in tubs designed mainly for pet food, nothing gets into it there, but soon as I put it down in a bowl it's an invasion.

I'm gonna spray the area my pets eat, just trying to find something that won't be chemical for my pets and lots of stuff I looked at so far is.

The ants only to seem to be after my dogs kibble. They don't bother my cats dry food.

If anyone ever had ants in their pets food bowls, please tell me how you can fix it.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Is there somewhere else you can feed them for a few weeks? If you feed them somewhere else, and keep the ant infested area very clean, with no food or crumbs around, the ants should go away on their own eventually.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh God.... I see why your stressed... maybe what vonboy said... is there anything else you can feed them? Also, what's the weather like where you live? I live in Chicago where right now it's cold and we are expecting our annual blizzard soon, is hard for me to picture ants right now.  :lol
8 years with TGOF :yum