The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Written any songs lately?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Post your own written songs here!

I unfortunately haven't, I usually make them up aloud, but I hardly write them down or even remember the lyrics so I can't write them down :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
While the music I write typically doesn't have lyrics, I suppose I can post up something here anyway. B)

This is a piece I wrote for my grade 12 final composition assignment in high school.  There were no restrictions on style, length, etc. so I spent a good amount of time and effort and went all-out. :p
http://search3.idrive.com/driveway/jsp/dwa...p?id=n3z0v4h9f4
It's an instrumental piece featuring a small orchestra, choir and keyboard.

I'm working on some cool projects right now, too.  I just want to wait until they're more complete before I post anything more about them. ;)

(Sorry the sound in this mp3 isn't especially realistic...It's the best I could do in 2004, when I recorded this from a MIDI source off of my computer.  The amount of time it would take to convert this to a more realistic format makes it hard to justify doing now.)

Probably not quite what you meant when you mentioned "writing a song" but it's the best I've got. :p

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,May 6 2008 on  10:14 AM
While the music I write typically doesn't have lyrics, I suppose I can post up something here anyway. B)

This is a piece I wrote for my grade 12 final composition assignment in high school.  There were no restrictions on style, length, etc. so I spent a good amount of time and effort and went all-out. :p
http://search3.idrive.com/driveway/jsp/dwa...p?id=n3z0v4h9f4
It's an instrumental piece featuring a small orchestra, choir and keyboard.

I'm working on some cool projects right now, too.  I just want to wait until they're more complete before I post anything more about them. ;)

(Sorry the sound in this mp3 isn't especially realistic...It's the best I could do in 2004, when I recorded this from a MIDI source off of my computer.  The amount of time it would take to convert this to a more realistic format makes it hard to justify doing now.)

Probably not quite what you meant when you mentioned "writing a song" but it's the best I've got. :p
Wow, that was actually very good :) I probably would be able to create music without lyrics if it wasn't for the notes :p I don't understand them at all <_<

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't believe poetry counts as songwriting.  When I first began writing poetry, I wrote it as songs(choruses included).  If I were to put them to music, most of them would be metal rock songs :lol.  However, I don't play guitar nor can no longer scream like the singers.  I injured a vocal cord a few years back while screaming like that, and I'm lucky it was not serious.  Only bled for a few days :x.  So...I just stick to my Soprano I singing and have not attempted to scream like a rockstar since :rolleyes:.  I just write poetry now :yes.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Some of my poetry ACTUALLY turned into songs later, but, as I have no means - yet - to compose them on a computer, I'll just have to keep them in my head...  Of course, I've written a few parodies to songs, as well.

EDIT: Ouch, Cancerian Tiger!  Man, that would hurt!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, that was actually very good
Thank you. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I probably would be able to create music without lyrics if it wasn't for the notes I don't understand them at all
LOL I'm actually the exact opposite. :p
I wrote this piece of music back in 2004 on a program called "Noteworthy Composer", in which the user interface for writing music is basically exactly like looking at sheet music as we know it.  This was fine when I was working with the low-tech instrument sounds I used "back in the day". B)

Nowadays though, I'm forced to use more powerful, complex software.  You may find this one interesting actually: FL Studio.
It can be used to produce music without ANY knowledge of conventional sheet music.  Here is a screenshot of one of my projects (Our If We Hold On Together karaoke song, actually), produced in FL Studio:

There is a free trial (Fully functional, no time limit.  You can even save to MP3 files and WAV files with the trial!  You just can't save *project* files without purchasing it.  I actually own the full Producer Edition, which I'm putting to good use, I think. :p) on their website.

But anyway, I'm having a hard time "visualizing" my music with FL Studio's interface.  It's so simple:
the horizontal axis is time, the vertical axis is pitch and the bars are all of the notes.  It's as simple as it can get!  I just find sheet music easier to comprehend when composing complex music, especially when keeping track of musical themes, structure, etc. in my head.  That's where I find FL Studio more challenging....but I need FL Studio (along with a shwackload of plugins that Noteworthy doesn't support!) to produce music with professional sound quality.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,May 7 2008 on  09:06 PM
I don't believe poetry counts as songwriting.  When I first began writing poetry, I wrote it as songs(choruses included).  If I were to put them to music, most of them would be metal rock songs :lol.  However, I don't play guitar nor can no longer scream like the singers.  I injured a vocal cord a few years back while screaming like that, and I'm lucky it was not serious.  Only bled for a few days :x.  So...I just stick to my Soprano I singing and have not attempted to scream like a rockstar since :rolleyes:.  I just write poetry now :yes.
Well poetry in a way is song writing...you just need to add music to it and there you go, a song!

Owwww that does not sound pleasant...

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, here's a song I thought of a while ago, if you combine the the sound of the song "I Hate Everything about You", "Call me when you're sober", and one song of Merediths, you get my song here: Do keep in mind, I wrote this when I was EXTREMELY angry and I just needed to write a song about my loathing.

I Hate Everything about Me

Mmmm....ohh...why????

I’m the type of girl that walks through the shelter to care for the animals, I’m the type of girl that expresses her creativity, I smile so sweetly.

People look at me and envy at what I have and how I live. People wonder what’s going through my head and what am I doing differently.

But they never know, how my eyes turn red, at the world, at everyone, and especially...me...

Ohhhh!!!!

I HATE EVERYTHIG ABOUT ME!

Why am I still living?

I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS WORLD!

Why is it still going?

YOU SEEM TO LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT ME!

How can this be?

(Mmmm...hear me out)

I’m the type of girl that writes stories and poetry. I’m the type of girl that goes online daily.

People I have met are special, wonderful folks.

They laugh, play games, chat a lot, the fun never croaks.

But they don’t realize, the envy I have inside. The demon that seems to always be at my side!

(Oh!)

I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT ME!

Why am I still living?

Why is it still going?

How can this be?

No one will ever understand!

(No one will ever understand)

My extreme loathe for me and everything!

Sensitivity to the world and other people...

Can be a blessing...

As well as a curse...

(Oh yeah!!!)

I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT ME!

Why am I still living?

Why is it still going?

How can this be????

If I can’t even...

Love me?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I do sometimes, though I never write them down.  Like most folks they are often fragments and are funny to me at that time.  I don't know how often I do it, just whenever I Feel like it, but actually write down a song I've not done, unless you count the Amazing Longneck Boy I did in an rp, forgot which one, but most of the lyrics were based on the song The Amazing Threehorn Girl so not very original.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
:blink:  :o  :yes
Love that one, Rat_Lady7!  That is so awesome, and I could envision that being recorded by a(preferably) rock artist one day :yes.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@ Kor-I think any form of creativity is good. Just as long as you're actually saying that the idea was someone else's you just put in your creativity into it, it will be fine. :)

@ Cancerian Tiger-Thank you CT. :D I'm glad you liked it.