The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Mysterious Beyond

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
The sequels haven't been coherent about this topic. The plot of the original film talked about a leaf shortage that made the herds leave their homes in search of the Great Valley. Their World was a desolate place, a desert of sorts, with little to no food, and the threat of Sharpteeth always looming around them.

In the sequels 2-5 we see that the mysterious beyond is still a desolate place, roaming with Sharpteeth, with only a few spots of green. Except for the Valley of the Mists, no other place seemed habitable or big enough to hold a herd the size of the population in the Great Valley.

However, from LBT VI, onward, we see that the mysterious beyond has changed. It’s now filled with trees and other leafeaters choose to live there, in spite of the danger from Sharpteeh.

Did the first movie intend for us to think that the dinosaurs were becoming extinct, and that their only salvation was the Great Valley? Or was this a localized event? Why don’t the other herds stay in the Great Valley too, since it’s safer and big enough to hold them? What’s it like in the outside World?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I think maybe that theory could be how it was intended. With the Mysterious Beyond changing, I don't really think it's an idea filler, but just that time went by and the plants grew back.
8 years with TGOF :yum

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • Also known as DesertLily32 on FF.net
    • View Profile
I think that Mysterious Beyond is only a large section of desolate land. Quite a few miles wide, but once one would get out of the zone, it would become leafy and green again. The Great Valley is the best place because it 'always' has food, water, and protection from predators.  

Or, it could also be that when the first movie came out, the land was dying. But after the first movie, it righted itself and began to prosper once more.

I don't really pay that much attention to the scenery just outside the Valley.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I agree. I guess the vegetation returned in the Mysterious Beyond, but for whatever reason, the Great Valley residents don't go outside for extra food.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
They do go out for extra food on LBT V and LBT VIII at least. The idea that the land healed after a few years makes sense and ties in to another topic I published about how much real time has passed in the LBT franhchise.

Still, why don't the migrating herds stay there? In LBT IV and LBT VII it would make sense for those herds to stay, instead of wondering around, since it's a big place, filled with food and safe from predators.

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • Also known as DesertLily32 on FF.net
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Nov 19 2015 on  05:28 AM
Still, why don't the migrating herds stay there? In LBT IV and LBT VII it would make sense for those herds to stay, instead of wondering around, since it's a big place, filled with food and safe from predators.
I think the migrating herds keep going for a few reasons. They may not like the diversity in the Valley. Migrating was the life they were raise in, all they know is moving from place to place. They may have specific nesting grounds. Maybe they just have seasonal places they live. The Great Valley could be one of those places or it might be a pit stop.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I agree with most of your argument Kittybubbles, except for the first part. In LBT VII we see a migrating herd with very different species of dinosaurs among them, so the Great Valley species diversity wouldn't be an issue. Maybe more for herds like Ali's herd. They didn't seem very tolerant of other kinds.