The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Genocide in LBT? Good or bad idea?

Ruby2 · 12 · 1698

Ruby2

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I keep wondering, should there be genocide in LBT?    I mean, it HAS been done in kids movies (The Hunchback of Notre Dame for instance with what appears to be gypsy genocide) and also in Avatar: The Last Airbender, almost the whole Air Tribe was wiped out by the Fire Nation.   And both were highly successful in their sales, etc, too so it's not like it's unmarketable.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Down with the Yellowbellies!!!  :lol

No seriously, bad idea. Very bad idea...
Inactive, probably forever.

AllegroGiocoso

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Maybe in a fanfic where the writer wants to go dark or something... but the thing here is if they go for a genocide it would presumably mean going after one of the main characters and their families... and apart from being really dark for a kids movie,  considering how harmonious the Great Valley is, I can't imagine any GV resident going to that level, maybe except Mr. Threehorn but even then under really dire circumstances and it would set back his character development to even before where he was in Movie 1.

Maybe it could work with a guest herd perhaps or something or perhaps if Chomper is the target but for a kids movie it would still be pretty dark and while it could attract some new fans, it could jeopardize the series' future. I recall there was a huge backlash to Babe 2 when that was released because of its darker tone. I dont know anything about Avatar but while Hunchback did well on release, it's certainly one of the less successful Disney Renaissance movies and one they're not that eager to promote, it took forever for Disney to release Hunchback on Blu-ray.

I could see this idea working well in a fanfic targeted to teeagers and older, especially for fans who love the first movie and don't like the sequels and there could be a good audience for such a fanfic online. But a movie would probably get a lot of hate mail from unsuspecting parents of younger kids watching and could potentially deter them from making another movie again.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
sorry I didn't get purpose of question...
I mean why it was asked? Intentional genocide in society of dinosaurs?
Herds of individual species can live separately, even with some racism was presented in early LBT movies. But genocide?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Genocide is too deep a topic for TLBT. Racism and xenophobia, or in this case, speciesism, has been an overall theme, throughout the first movie and a lot of the sequels.

If I was a producer or a head of Universal I would never associate genocide with TLBT, it would most likely kill the franchise.

Most of us here are probably young adults who grew up watching TLBT, and we would like to see something in a darker tone and with a more mature theme to it, but this is a kids franchise, targeted for small children, it's not like an anime where you can go nuts and kill the entire planet if you want, because your audience is just too young to understand or to even grasp the consequences of such an action.

Now, there could be guest characters from a species that's on the brink of extinction, and we had that with Sue in LBT X, and a bit with Doc in LBT VI. That's a concept that makes sense for children to start learning about at a young age, especially today where we are seeing one of the biggest extinction level events since the global extinction of the dinosaurs, and it's being caused by human activity.

I grew up watching cartoons like Denver, the last Dinosaur, Widget, the World Watcher and Captain Planet. These days there doesn't seem to be a lot of media directed towards kids that discuss these issues, like species going extinct, climate change and the effects of pollution. Maybe it's lobbying from big oil in the US, but still, it's a theme that I would like to see being explored in TLBT.

But I digress. This topic made me think about the first movie and how the herds had to leave their lands in search of the Great Valley because of a food shortage. How is the world outside of the Great Valley? Are dinosaurs becoming extinct? Was that event of the first film localized to a single region and that’s why we keep seeing other herds and wanderers coming to the Great Valley?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Actually, I just remembered that one fanfiction author here on the GoF has one of their villain OC's go that route, attempting to get rid of all Sharpteeth. It's good story so it actually can work if done carefully. However that story really is too dark for some 9 year olds :p
Inactive, probably forever.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
For fanfiction, a very interesting path to go down if you want to write something deep and dark. But for the actual movies? Nah. Doesn't sound like LBT.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Killing off all Sharpteeth would present a big problem, not only for the Great Valley, but for the entire world. The leafeaters would breed with no restrains, there would be less food to go around, and the dead would only lie there rotting and disease would spread. Scavangers and Sharpteeth, like it or not, are really important for animal population control.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Nov 18 2015 on  09:05 AM
Down with the Yellowbellies!!!
I WOULD NOT OBJECT TO THIS

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Nov 19 2015 on  01:34 PM
Killing off all Sharpteeth would present a big problem, not only for the Great Valley, but for the entire world. The leafeaters would breed with no restrains, there would be less food to go around, and the dead would only lie there rotting and disease would spread. Scavangers and Sharpteeth, like it or not, are really important for animal population control.
True.

as one sharptooth says:
We're sharpteeth. We are part of Great Circle of Life.

Don't forget about Great Circle of Life.

Down with the Yellowbellies!!!
life will do this, if only wise ones don't teach them
„„

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Nov 19 2015 on  03:01 PM
Quote from: NewOrder,Nov 19 2015 on  01:34 PM
True.

as one sharptooth says:
We're sharpteeth. We are part of Great Circle of Life.
Whoa. Nice quote. Forgive me, but where did that come from?

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Whoa. Nice quote. Forgive me, but where did that come from?
well, it is said by my fanfiction character
 :rolleyes: