The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Archery

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've been looking quite a bit at archery for some time now, and I'm especially interested in Kyudo, or Japanese archery.  The books and videos I've found shows that archery as an art makes for good mental and spiritual training, and perhaps physical as well.

Anyone here know much about archery?  I could use some advice.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Kyudo? Is it archery conducted with an assymetric bow (a bow held not in the middle but which has a lower grip)? I have been wondering for quite a while why many Japanese bows were designed in that manner. Does it give any particular advantages? Can you tell me anything about this?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
It is the type of bow with the grip that is lower than the center.  I know the bow itself is rather tall, and it can be used on horseback.  I guess it's made that way so the archer could use it and move without tripping on it.  Schools that teach kyudo uses different types for different levels, because that the traditional bamboo bows that only experienced martial artists use are expensive and rather easy to break.

There's not a lot of sources that compare the Japanese bows to other types.  I'll have to find someone with the personal knowledge of archery.

What I have found are simply the philosophies and principles of Kyudo, and that practitioners strive for Truth, Beauty, and the Good.  I don't truly understand it all, but it fascinates me.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does sound interesting and I hope you do get more information.  Good luck.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oooo I've always been interesting in archery, never found any group where i could practise myself though. But to be honest, I don't know much about it at all. So I probably can't give you any information.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I did Archery for 4 and a half year. I managed to reach 5th place in the Swedish championship in my age. :D
So yeah, I know some stuff.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Congrats on the placement, Lillefot!

Anyway, what kind of bow is good for a first-timer like me?  What are the advantages of a compound bow and a recurve bow?  And do you think I can learn on my own or do I have to take a class?

Speaking of classes, I've managed to find a Japanese archery school 60-70 miles from where I live.  If I have to live in Tucson, then I might be able to check it out.

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,Nov 22 2008 on  06:35 PM
Congrats on the placement, Lillefot!

Anyway, what kind of bow is good for a first-timer like me?  What are the advantages of a compound bow and a recurve bow?  And do you think I can learn on my own or do I have to take a class?

Speaking of classes, I've managed to find a Japanese archery school 60-70 miles from where I live.  If I have to live in Tucson, then I might be able to check it out.
Well, as you might know, you get more precision with a compound bow (I used this kind of bows).
It has a scope, a balance pole and are smaler. Some of them are heavy though, so you better train that arm of yours! :)
You can stand further away from the target.
A compound bow has a special "lock". Which means that it might be heavy to pull the strain, but once you pull it enough, reaching this lock, it will become MUCH lighter, and you can stand with a pulled strain for quite the time, giving you more time to aim.
There's more work with a compound bow though. You have to adjust it well to your needs. A to big/small/heavy bow will make the shooting terrible, so make sure you get some help with this. trust me, I had one of this kind, and my shooting got horrible.

A recurve bow is a lot easier to use, there are some with scopes and balance poles aswell ofcourse. They are lighter. I haven't used them so much so I can't really say.

I don't think you learn compound, or even recurve for that matter, by yourself.
I wiuld recommend you to take some classes. And start with borrowing the different bows and try them, to see which you like the best.
Should you have any more questions, I'd glady answer them for you. :)

Best of luck!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe you can ask some of those who have studied Kyodo before and can ask them certain questions, good points, bad points, ect.  That may help you decide if you want to study it or not.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've noticed how heavy some of them are, so I'll have to train my arms for it.  I also saw some recurves that use same additions, but all the recurves I found were for smaller archers.

I went to an outdoor sporting goods store last weekend that has a section devoted to archery, and I'm sure they mentioned about a special session in which they help me put together my own bow.  For now, I'll have to get money and time first to take the session, for all of those bows are NOT cheap...

Focusing on the compounds now, I noticed the wheels on the ends are in different shapes.  Are those for accuracy or speed?

Oh yeah, as for Kyudo, it shows more like a life commitment than a simple hobby to kill time.  As fascinating as it looks, I think I'll pass until I get a more stable life.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You can still look into it in books, online, and other things to get some information.  Good luck wither you choose to pursue it or not.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,Dec 3 2008 on  09:21 PM
I've noticed how heavy some of them are, so I'll have to train my arms for it.  I also saw some recurves that use same additions, but all the recurves I found were for smaller archers.

I went to an outdoor sporting goods store last weekend that has a section devoted to archery, and I'm sure they mentioned about a special session in which they help me put together my own bow.  For now, I'll have to get money and time first to take the session, for all of those bows are NOT cheap...

Focusing on the compounds now, I noticed the wheels on the ends are in different shapes.  Are those for accuracy or speed?

Oh yeah, as for Kyudo, it shows more like a life commitment than a simple hobby to kill time.  As fascinating as it looks, I think I'll pass until I get a more stable life.
I don't think the wheel shapes matter.

No, they are quite the expensive stuff. I bought a pre-owned one. But if you do, TRY it out and make sure there's no issues with it!
And before you buy one, make sure you've tried it for some time.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think I just found out my draw length and draw weight.  Now I'll have to see if my measurements are correct.  I'm still not sure whether to get the compound or a recurve bow.  They got some real nice-looking recurve bows this year.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can only suggest try to do research and learn the advantages and disadvantages of each, and try to use both types for some shooting so you can get the personal feel of both if you can.  They you can weigh what you've learned from research, how each feels to you, the care needed, how you like their looks, their price, and decide from there.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
You think the archery shops will let me test out their bows for feel, or do I have to get involved in an archery club or group?

By the way, I found a fishing and archery shop in my home town that does customized bows, and they got both types.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Archery types here will know better then me.  Some places may have an area where you can practice, or you may have to go to a club or something.  Friends who have bows maybe can help also.