The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

First Pokemon, then Ponies, now Dinosaurs

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: RockingScorpion,Mar 27 2015 on  04:52 PM
Dr. Who? I've never seen that, so yeah, that is unintentional then. :D

Oh I must say I'm suprised you haven't seen Dr who as it's been back on the air for 10 years and it is shown in Germany. I do recommended it. Also part of my user name " Dalek" is named after one of the villian's from the show.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
I do know some stuff about Dr.Who, but mainly because I'm an MLP fan and there are a lot of references to that show, both on official and on fan creation side. ;)

...I'm not posting here because I have something new to show, but sadly I got some bad news recently and now I gotta explain them somehow.

Oh well, let's just get over with it:

I've received a C&D, regarding my LBT fanart.
Now, what does that mean?

Well, a C&D (Cease&Desist) is in other words a friendly warning that you should stop doing what you do because you're using stuff that is copyrighted, in this case the LBT characters. I've received that letter a while ago, but I wanted to confirm first if it is actually legit and...well, it is.

This means, as you might expect by now, that I can't show my LBT related stuff online anymore. Now I really wish I had finished the drawing I'm working on yesterday...

I sometimes said in this thread that drawing is a pure hobby, but that some people actually like what I do for fun was driving me forward as well, wanting to get better. Guess I'll keep that hobby to myself from now on.

As long as I won't show anything at all online, I should be fine.

I'm actually awaiting one more reply. I explained that what I do is merely for fun and has absolutely no profit-oriented purposed; I've never sold anything or was commissioned for anything, because I just don't want that.
So yes, there might be that chance, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I'm willing to exchange a few more mails regarding that case, but I've seen someone else getting a C&D already, and he is negotiating for more than one year now; I don't think I'll have that willpower.
But please don't start sending mails yourself. That wouldn't do anything at all.

I'm going to remove all the links and images posted in this topic as a next step (yeah I have to do that, it was clearly asked for that I do) and also the actual submissions on deviantart.

I guess..that's it then. It has been a fun ride while it lasted and I wanna say a huge thank you to everyone who gave feedback/comments or just visited this topic. You rock. ;)

One last thing. I asked for permission to show the letter online with censored names and so on of course, so you can read for yourself: Link

I'm sorry, guys. xD)

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Well I will say this is the first April fools joke I've fallen for online..  :oops

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Someone had to manage that, Dalekdino. :D
And you weren't the only one. ;)

Just a quick something:

[align=center]Ducky Illusion

Source
(for bigger size etc.)[/align]

This is one of those moments where I'd like to have some damn studio lights at home. That would've saved me some time during post production xD

This isn't photoshopped. The effect is called anamorphic illusion, if you want to look it up. ;)

Also, my next traditional drawing IS coming before I'll go to bed. No matter how long it takes. I wanna see that one finished! :D

Hope you like this one and...until next time. In a few hours then. :D

Oh and..this is how that actually looks like. :D

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Wow good stuff. I would say bit looks a little too flat, but then I read that it's not a Photoshop effect. Wow your really determined to do your next drawing, I thought I liked to get my drawing done in time. I await your next PIC:)

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
I edited a link into my last post how that Ducky actually looks like when you're not using any foul perspective tricks. ;)

And yeah, I got that drawing finished about one or two hours ago, then did the digitalizing/post production stuff and now it's there. Somewhat another milestone regarding backgrounds, but that comes later. Here is it:

[align=center]One Last Glance

Source

As time passes by, things always change, whether we want to or not.
Every change also brings good things, if you look in the right places

This is starting to become some sort of series. This would be the 4th drawing for that series, and it probably will get the name "Untold Stories".
Maybe, we'll see if I continue with stuff like this.

In movie 4, we get to know that Littlefoot doesn't want to leave his home, the Great Valley. When I was a kid I always considered the Land Of Mists to be Ali's home, and her herd had to leave because of the land changing. We never heard a word about that, but I don't think Ali was so excited to leave her home, too.

The background is inspired by one in that movie, but I made some changes. The grass isn't as high, the path isn't as narrow, and there are fewer Night Flowers, which are also smaller. Basically, the place as it looked like when there were still herds of dinosaurs walking around.
This is the background as seen in the movie: Link

I thought about somehow adding the tree but then decided to put that scene on one of the hills you see on that screenshot. Because that made it simpler and backgrounds are still something I'm getting experience with.

Now, because of the poll last week, from now on there will be WIP pics as well. This time without some text because I've been blabbering about that picture enough already. :D
(Unless someone wants me to talk a bit about the process, then I'll do that of course)

First sketch
Finished lineart
Filled spots

That's it then for now (I think xD with my habit of forgetting stuff)

Hope you like it, and..until next time. Whenever that may be. :)

RS

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
LOL Ali's eyes pupils look rather big, like she's in some kind of trance. XD

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Maybe Ali's eyes are like that because she's so astonished by the picture?  :wow I've already told you that, RS, but you make me jealous sometimes :DD GREAT stuff again!  :exactly
Inactive, probably forever.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
That's all you get from that drawing, Dalek? Alright xD

Thanks, Ducky123, and if I continue making you jealous, I better stop drawing now because that's nothing I want to do, that's for sure. :D
But thanks, and glad you like it. :)

Colored one:

[align=center]One Last Glance

Source

Everything was said with the pencil version already, so yeah. Only thing to say is that I improved the coloring technique to make it look better than my colored versions usually do.

So...hope you like the colored version and..until next time. Not sure when I'll have time for another traditional piece though. :)

RS

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I really, really like the way the coloured version turned out. Great job!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oddly enough, I like the pencil version better than the coloured one... I usually prefer coloured pictures over sketches a lot. Still it looks terribly good though  :lol

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: RockingScorpion,Apr 3 2015 on  10:59 PM
That's all you get from that drawing, Dalek? Alright xD

Sorry I'll give more feedback next time. Also, I know you do it to make realistic, but it's soo odd seeing Ali without her eyelashes..

Anyway you did great job with this one as usual. I like how you did the nightflower field.

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://https://reia73.wordpress.com/
That is absolutely beautiful. I can't tell you how in love I am with pencil and shading...And you know, movie scenes are definitely good for practice. :) It's how I start all of my first-time attempts, lol. Once you get the hang of it, you can draw the character(s) without a guide. ^_^

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Mumbling: Thanks :)

Ducky123: Good you said that, so I could...well you see what I mean after I'm done answering the replies ;)

Dalek: You don't have to give any feedback if you don't want to. ;)

fanciful_flyer: Thanks, and yeah, I have a thing for shaded pencil drawings, too. ;)

And yeah, I know about that xD. I spent a lot of time practicing the LBT art style, and it was certainly worth it, now that I can draw the characters out of my head as you said. :)

Now, I don't really have anything new, but it's easter, so...
Oh wait. First comes this:

Happy Easter!
Happy Easter!

Translation:
Hey Andy, nice to see you!
Happy Easter!
Thanks, Happy Easter too!
What are you doing!?
Looking for eggs!
Have fun!
I will!

ah...this never gets old for me. :D

And because it's easter and everything I've made some full hd wallpapers out of my drawings (6 in total, including colored and pencil versions)
You can get them all here: Link

And remember, personal use only ;) No uploading anywhere else yadda yadda, I already said that some time ago. :D

Hope you find these useful as backgrounds, and..until next time. :)
Ideas are definitely there. ;)

RS

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, it's been a while, but let's remove the dust that has buried this topic under itself and bring it back again. :D

[align=center]Land BEFORE Time - phone background

Source

I'm sorry for the bad pun (I'm absolutely not :p )

An idea I had a few days ago. When used as a background, it looks like this:
Link

Also, this was made to be used on an iPhone 4S. It should somewhat work on other iPhones and even android phones because the time is always shown at the top, but it might not be a perfect fit as it is on the 4S.

I tried to draw the alternative design I gave Ali some time ago from a different perspective here. The first time I used that design was here: http://fav.me/d8ixxd4

I'd like to hear some opinions about if I managed to pull the alternative design off well in this perspective, so, hit the comments with that. Only if you want to, of course. :)

As for more LBT stuff..it's coming. I don't know when, but it is definitely planned. I can't promise anything, but it might come this week.^^

That's all there is for now, so..
Hope you like it, and until next time. :)

RS

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Glad I'm not the only one who's struggling with getting some art sone :p Looks good :)

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks, you two. ;)

I was just drawing some random sketches a few days ago and liked one of them, so I finished it.
I messed up a bit on one eye and it was too late to fix that, but eh, things like that can happen.^^

[align=center]Resting Time

Source

(Uncolored version and some WIPs linked in the description of the source, if anyone wants to see those. ;) )

I have a question this time though: What do you think of my altered design for Ali? It is supposed to show her when she's a little older than she is during the movie. Another example where I used this design is here: http://fav.me/d8ixxd4
Her proportions are a little different in general, but the most changes I made to the head.

Let me know what you think - only if you want to, of course.
(I'm not sure if I asked this question already...if I did, I'll remove this part later xD)

So..I guess that's all for now, hope you like this one and until next time. :)

(I should do random sketches more often xD)

Oh, and btw, because a friend reminded me of that:
Alternative title: Draw me like one of your North American dinosaurs. :p

(North America. Not France. Apatosaurus never lived in Europe. xD)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Aside from the messed up eye, this looks really great :)

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Apart from her nose been out of shape, the eyes and looking a little tubby. Ali looks lovely here:)