The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Oct 5 2014 on  04:38 AM
What is your own view on the matter you asked about John?
One of the best joys I got from the haters was just how wrong their beliefs were.  The main thing is that they say that this revelation came from out of nowhere.  Except, it didn't.  There were hints on the show that it was planned that Twilight would eventually become a princess from the very first episode.

Let me ask you one question, do you expect ANY student of royalty to not get some kind of life changing reward in their life?  Heck, with the evidence that there is no known child of Celestia, I wouldn't have been surprised if Twilight was the planned heir to the throne.  Oh, and why did Twilight get a crown when her element appeared, while the rest of her friends got a necklace of sorts?  Yeah, not too subtle there, writers.

However, overtime, it has been shown that being a princess in Equestria is more of being proven that you deserve to rule.  That you have the traits needed to carry out such a responsibility, and if you ask me, Twilight Sparkle has definitely earned that.

There is no doubt in my mind that Twilight deserves that title more than anyone.  Even if it was planned, she earned it in the end.

So yeah, I wasn't surprised, because I saw it coming from the beginning, and I take joy in just how wrong the haters are in this.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't really have a single favorite character.  I do have some I like more then others like Spike, Twilight Sparkle, and a few based on how well they are written since I think some characters are not handled as well with some writers as they are with other writers.  Rainbow Dash & Applejack.  

Though I think Pinkie, Rarity, & Fluttershy are not handled with as well with some writers as they are with others.

I've not thought about plot lines, though endings do seem to be pretty abrupt, like the writers, or some writers, are not good at writing endings, or are not use to writing 22 minute episodes and overly rush through the ending.  

Some thing I'd like to see.  Like I agree the party that we only see the beginning to in season 1's 2nd episode may have been an interesting party to see onscreen.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oh gosh, the thing with Twilight becoming a princess is still being argued? That's like complaining about David Tennant leaving Doctor Who at this point.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I wasn't arguing anything. I am not so much into the franchise that I would take any interest at all into battles among the fans.
The content and opinions of (not declarations of war among) fans are what interests me. I am curious for everyone's views. I am not interested in whatever battles may be going on outside the GOF among fans (outside they shall remain).
But what is your opinion on the plot (rather than about the opinions of others on the plot) WR? :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I wasn't referring to you. I was surprised to hear that some fans are still arguing about Twilight becoming a princess after all this time.

My opinion of is: it's fine with me. I always had an inkling that big things were in store for Twilight from the beginning. In fact, one of my earliest theories was that she'd become an alicorn as well. It was the name that tipped me off. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Twilight. I caught the theme.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 7 2014 on  01:09 PM
Oh gosh, the thing with Twilight becoming a princess is still being argued? That's like complaining about David Tennant leaving Doctor Who at this point.
Yes, and some of the haters have gotten pretty bad. (Trust me, you don't want to know how bad it got at one forum.) I'd say that the only other thing that's just as hotly debated, if not more, is Twilight's love interest.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So far (last episode I watched is 75 (the one in which Rainbow Dash has to choose between the Wonderbolts and the flight team from Ponyville)) the transformation of Twilight doesn't seem to have caused much of a change however. She got wings now (which she hardly ever used since the first two episodes following the transformation) but the princess part doesn't seem to come with any change of obligation or scenery.
I'm not complaining about that (I'm quite okay with the way the episodes are while not opposed to every change they might decide to make), but given what I have seen so far the direct impact of the transformation has been a small one (I sure am glad though that Twilight insisted on her friends not calling her "princess"; everything else would have sounded kind of awkward to me :lol).
I want to avoid spoilers, but are there episodes to come in which the transformation of Twillight will play a really important role?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Oct 8 2014 on  02:35 AM
So far (last episode I watched is 75 (the one in which Rainbow Dash has to choose between the Wonderbolts and the flight team from Ponyville)) the transformation of Twilight doesn't seem to have caused much of a change however. She got wings now (which she hardly ever used since the first two episodes following the transformation) but the princess part doesn't seem to come with any change of obligation or scenery.
I'm not complaining about that (I'm quite okay with the way the episodes are while not opposed to every change they might decide to make), but given what I have seen so far the direct impact of the transformation has been a small one (I sure am glad though that Twilight insisted on her friends not calling her "princess"; everything else would have sounded kind of awkward to me :lol).
I want to avoid spoilers, but are there episodes to come in which the transformation of Twillight will play a really important role?
I'd say to not expect anything of Twilight's Role as Princess to come into play until at least the second half of Season 4.  Even then, don't expect anything too big.  At least, not until the very end. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think that would be the library from the first of the two Christal Empire episodes? 53 or so I think.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks, thought may be that after looking the image over for a few minues, but wasn't sure and couldn't exactly place it.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, it is official!  The movie "My Little Pony - Equestria Girls - Rainbow Rocks" will be airing on Discovery Family on October 17th!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/10/disc...hts-to-air.html

The time it will be airing that day has yet to be made public, but I'll let you all know as soon as possible.  Once we have that, I'm sure the various stream channels will be ready to set themselves up.

So, until then, see ya later! :wave

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
And Hasbro continues the trend of insisting that their movies about My Little Pony contain no Little Ponies. I will watch one of these insipid Equestria Girls films when the vast majority of the screentime includes these characters in their equine incarnations.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How about Celestia and Luna's younger days.  The founding of Equestria.  That could be interesting also.  Though it would likely have to have the  main 6 as main characters.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 12 2014 on  06:43 PM
And Hasbro continues the trend of insisting that their movies about My Little Pony contain no Little Ponies. I will watch one of these insipid Equestria Girls films when the vast majority of the screentime includes these characters in their equine incarnations.
I just have one question to ask you, WR, and I want you to be brutally honest with me.

Were you set to hate the first movie before you even saw it?  Was there something that made you believe you were going to hate it no matter how good it was?

I'll give my thoughts after you answer me this one question I want answered.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't think there was any talk about hatred there John. WR said that he would see of the other MLP movies (I didn't see any of them so far either) when they actually included the pony version of the main characters.
That is not hatred.
Even if someone wrote that he or she hated the movies, that would still be an opinion everyone is entitled to have (so long he or she doesn't keep ramming it down everybodies throats).
Let everybody watch the movie if he or she wants to and allow them not to watch them without being declared "haters" (or something along the lines) if they don't want to.
That's all the "brutal honesty" needed on this matter.
How about Celestia and Luna's younger days. The founding of Equestria. That could be interesting also. Though it would likely have to have the main 6 as main characters.
I agree Kor. The banishment of one sister for 1000 years is a rather important point that could be explored further (same as her reformation back). They (or the fans) do have a lot of material for future stories.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, I do hate Equestria Girls, Malte. I'd hate the Equestria Girls movies even if they were as brilliant as Hamlet. I hate the philosophy behind their creation, I hate the artstyle, and I hate, hate that they don't give us a movie about the characters from the show in the show's setting. There are all kinds of awesome things they COULD be doing with Equestria for a full length feature, but no, they'd rather force us to sit through tired high school cliches that were out of style before the 90s began. It's almost like Hasbro doesn't have enough faith to seriously try to expand on their product (or they're too ashamed to). Equestria Girls can go to hell.

As unbelievably bad as the original 1986 My Little Pony movie for G1 was, at least it was about the ponies in the setting that was created for the series.