The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

One Long Tail

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, I may get nagged by other members, but maybe you should wait a bit, so you can have some surprises stored, just in case you suffer some delays to complete new chapters.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I have a general warning for those looking forward to seeing the end of this fanfic....IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!  :(  I'm sorry to all my devoted fans, however I no longer have the time or reserves to continue making this fanfic...due to to time, and pressure constrants...this fic just can't be finished.

So these two chapters 25 and 26 respectivly will be the last two updates EVER!!!!!

And now onto the show!

Chapter 25

The winds of Change!  

"It's been a whole bright circle now." "Yes this does not look good at all." "Well then, what should we do?"  

"Everyone please calm down..." asked Grandpa Longneck "Now Cyrix are you sure about all this?"

The rainbow face nodded and said "Yes... all of it...and they have my nephew as well. We need to help him!" Cried Cyrix  

"Well I believe the best action would be to..." but Grandpa Longneck never got a chance to finish his sentence as Korr spoke up..."We leave him to die!" Several of the valley dinosaurs were simply outraged at what he had just said!  

"How dare you!" cried Cyrix as he stepped forward, almost willing and ready to strike Korr across the face for such an outburst. However Tria was the one to settle things...  

"Now please listen everyone...while Korr may be here at the meeting, which by the way I have no idea how he got here to begin with...he holds no official position during this meeting, so we can ignore any ideas or suggestions he may make."  

Cyrix seemed to smile at this bit of information as he replied "Well then, I say we continue." But someone cut Cyrix off. "What...is...that?" asked Mr. Clubtail  Everyone at the meeting including the children looked up and saw something strange... there were storm clouds coming into the valley, but this was the first time anyone saw storm clouds coming in from every side of the valley!  

No matter which way you looked the clouds were dark, and covering the entire valley, however as they began to come together over the Tree of Life in the very center of the valley the clouds began to spin, very slowly but they were spinning and this new change in the weather was cause for concern among the valley herd.  

"What's happening?" asked Littlefoot "This is a storm but not one I or your grandmother have ever seen before..." said Grandpa Longneck.  

"If I might make a suggestion..." asked Pterano as he was seen flapping his wings to keep himself airborne "We all take shelter until this storm passes." Topsy then said "You know Pterano as much trouble as you've caused before, this is one idea I support!"  

Topsy then turned to Tria and Cera, and replied "Both of you follow me...we are going to Shelter Rock until the storm is over!" Just as the trio of threehorns were turning to walk away, Mr. Thicknose spoke up and said “Wait…do you feel that?”  

Topsy of course turned and asked “What are you talking about?” Thicknose however simply replied “The wind…it isn’t blowing at all.”  

It was then that Mr. Threehorn did indeed notice the lack of a blowing wind, and as still as the air was…it gave off a sense of foreboding danger, and that is what gave him and the rest of the valley reason to worry.  

Outside the Valley…

Longtail wasn’t sure if he was doing the right thing, but if wanted to gain these sharpteeth’s trust he had to do this. Then again…they also knew the pathway into the valley, so why use him to walk the path as well?  ëBecause they want to be sure I didn’t set a trap, even if I had, it wouldn’t be at this entrance.’ Longtail thought to himself.  

“Well you are now inside the Great Valley…what’s next?” asked the young flyer.  

“We start off with easy prey, ones that are small or weak and won’t be able to fight back very well.” Said Bleeding Heart “Do you know of any groups of little hatchlings or elders that are easy pickings?” said Blackfoot to Longtail.  

Longtail was about to lie and say no, but Dark Eye beat him to it by saying “Why yes…he actually has a small group of little leaf nibbling friends who would make a perfect beginners snack!”  

Thinking as fast as his mind could, Longtail tail whipped Dark Eye in the face, and said, “No you fool!” Dark Eye was getting tired of letting that small piece of food get away with stunts like this, but before he could raise a protest Longtail kept on talking…  

“I said I’d get you all a feast, and that’s what I’ll do! Now just wait over there…” He pointed towards several tall standing trees and said “When the prey is in range, I’ll give you some kind of signal…okay?” he asked looking back at Bleeding Heart.  

The black sharptooth nodded his head and told the others to follow him into the tree line as Longtail ran ahead into the valley, ready and willing to do almost anything to keep both sides guessing.  

In the Meeting Circle…

Cyrix and the other elders had been debating on what to do, even after they had noticed the storm. But so far none of them had been able to come up with a solution, and it was beginning to grate on some of the elders nerves.  

“We need a solution to this problem now!” shouted Mr. Clubtail, however just as Ducky’s mother was going to protest, something, or someone came flying out of the bushes and collided with Cyrix at a very fast pace and knocked him to the ground.  

As both figures stood back up, they locked eyes only for a moment before Cyrix had his hands around the one who had knocked him on his belly and exclaimed “My nephew! You’re safe!” he then looked the little flyer over, and noticed that just like last night his scales color were still changed and even from where he was standing could see the mark on the back of his neck still glowing.  

Several of the elders then spoke up… “Longtail, you escaped?” “But how?” and the ever classic “What did they do to you…?”  

The young flyer looked around for a moment at everyone, clearly not expecting there to be a meeting going on…and then looked up at the sky to see the storm over head. ëNo blowing winds…that’s strange…even for a storm!’ Thought Longtail to himself as he continued to look around wondering what the elders were talking about.  

But before anyone could raise another question Longtail blurted out…”The Saurischia, they are here…in the Great Valley!”  

“WHAT?!” shouted Topsy, Longtail then said “T-they forced me to show them an opening in the great wall…I’m sorry, but we don’t have time right now we…” Korr then cut Longtail off “This freak is crazy! Like we are really going to listen to him!"  

Instead of Cyrix shouting at Korr, another voice called out to them saying "We have no choice, but to listen to him he may be out one chance to find out what those sharpteeth are up to."  

As Cyrix turned around to see who had spoken he was stunned...it was a female rainbow face...and in his opinion she was beautiful! 'So I'm not the only rainbow face in this valley...its...nice.' said Cyrix to himself.  

Unfortunately everyone was brought back to the issue at hand when Longtail spoke up and said "Look the Saurischia are here and we need an idea on how to beat them...now I know where they are so all we have to do is..."  

"Not get eaten!" came a horribly dark and cruel voice from behind the valley herd, and as every moved away from the voice hidden in the shadows, Longtail said at a whisper...'Oh...no!'

Out of the shadows stepped Bleeding Heart and his gang of sharpteeth. "Oh sorry kid, we just didn't feel like waiting on you to come to us, so we came to you instead!" commented Dark Eye with a sneer.  

"I thought you might still be alive...I knew that morsel couldn't kill you Korr...and thank you so much for helping us find him."  

Many in the valley herd were shocked to hear what was happening, but others were even more worried to hear an entire group of sharpteeth speaking the flattooth language!  Topsy was the first to address this issue as he asked "How...how are you speaking our language?"  

Bleeding Heart smiled a wicked smile as he replied "You don't think we just killed our food did you, oh no, we wanted to learn how to communicate with the rest of you so you would know who it really was you should fear!"  

Dark Eye then smiled and asked "Do you want to know a secret about someone here in this herd?"  

Longtail immediately knew who they were talking about. Cyrix wanted to step in and interfere but he also figured Longtail could handle this.  

Dark Eye continued to speak anyway... "You know this flyer here before you, how you all love him so much...well the terrible truth is...he is a half sharptooth by blood!"  For several moments the entire valley was silent, no one spoke, and the winds failed to make a noise as everyone in the valley tried to understand what had just been said.

Then it started to rain once again, at first in small droplets, but after another few moments of silence it began to fall harder and faster...however above it all a single sound could be heard...it was the sound of laughter!  

A child's laughter to be more accurate as Longtail was now laughing fairly hard. Dark Eye and even Bleeding Heart were wondering what was so funny and just to get the question out Leviathan asked "What is so funny little one?"  

Longtail took the time to breath; he then replied, "They already know my secret! You're just wasting your time..." Longtail then took up a fighting stance and continued speaking "...now get out of here before I have to use my claws!"

Now it was Bleeding Heart's turn to laugh and that crushed Longtail courage very quickly. Dark Eye then took a step forward and asked "Master Bleeding Heart, can I take this one, please...he's so been asking for it!"  

The larger sharptooth just nodded his head and replied by saying "This should be a fun little fight."  

Dark Eye then charged at Longtail with terrifying speed, and although it looked like Longtail was frozen with fear, in truth he was just realizing something amazing, as Dark Eye then lashed out with his left claw aiming for Longtails face.  

Longtail however only blinked as he spun his body sideways and moved out of the attack with ease. He stopped right behind Dark Eye and smiled as Longtail then said "Come and get me!"

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
And here it is....

Chapter 26!

The Face of the enemy...is my Friend?

Dark eye turned and charged again at Longtail with the intent to kill written all over his face. He reached out whit his claws several more times, each aiming for Longtail's face or neck, but every time he tried, Dark-Eye would come up just short of a killing blow because Longtail managed at the last moment to move out of harms' way.  

Longtail for his part just continued to duck, dodge and quite literally step out of the way of every single attack Dark-Eye threw his way.

The whole time this was going on Longtail had this happy, but cocky grin on his face as if he knew something that Dark-Eye didn't.  

After several more moments of swinging and missing his target Dark-Eye stopped for a moment and asked while taking deep breaths "W-why can't...I hit you?"  

Longtail laughed again as the sky water continued to fall from the sky. He then spoke up by saying "You just don't get it do you?" He then had to shout to be heard by everyone as he said "Yes, your master Bleeding Heart is right...I have accepted what I am...I know I'm half Sharptooth, there is nothing that I can do...it's just a part of who I am now."  

Longtail took a deep breath and continued by saying "But after the second Night Circle of Darkness, something amazing happened. I can't really explain it too well, but now I can smell better, see farther, and for some reason every single one of your attacks I can see coming...just based on the way you stand."  

Dark-Eye at that point said "Oh yeah, then see this!" The Sharptooth charged once again aiming his claws high into the air, but this time he had an idea!

Dark Eye ran at Longtail attempting to attack him, but as he got close he jumped over the young flyer and ran right at Topsy intending to wound him instead.

Topsy and everyone else for that matter were far too stunned to react in time, but just as Dark Eye was bringing his claw down towards Topsy face, the raptors claws dug into something other than his new target…it in fact was another set of claws…but it wasn’t Longtails…this one was black and had several ritualistic markings running up it.

Longtail turned to see who had been so bold as to stop that attack and almost laughed as he saw who it was.

The newcomer smirked as he said; “Ya know…that claw of yours stings…now try mine!”

The black sharptooth swung his right claw out and made contact with Dark Eyes face leaving three shallow cuts along his nose, and throwing him backwards.

Longtail having enough sense to move rolled across the ground and out of the way of the falling sharptooth. He then stood up and said…

“Dante!” said Longtail with all too enthusiastic voice

The black sharptooth smiled and replied, “Good to see you too buddy. Now what’s say we finish this?”

Longtail gave a devious grin as he replied, “I thought you’d never ask!”

Dante gave a small laugh as he smiled and charged forward with his claws extended. Longtail folded his wings at his side and followed Dante’s lead.  However Longtail had one small change as to what weapon he’d be using to attack with.

As Dante and Longtail closed the gap between themselves and Dark-Eye Longtail let his tail go limp, and as it did it began to swing from side to side almost as if it had a mind of its own.

Dante however reached Dark-Eye first and swung out with his claws, which missed as Dark-Eye easily stepped the attack, he also knew that a second one would be coming in a matter of seconds, and he was prepared for it…or so he thought.

Longtail was next to reach Dark-Eye, but instead of using his claws he dug his feet into the soil beneath him and spun in a circle, bringing his tail around him at full speed catching Dark-Eye in the throat.

Dark-Eye gave a startled yelp, and staggered backwards. He stared at Dante and Longtail for several moments before charging again.

Longtail however was still seeing things in slow motion and in response Longtail out of reflex jumped into the air and swung his tail around once again catching Dark-Eye off guard again.

Cyrix who was watching the fight began to see something in his nephew that surprised him. “I didn’t teach him those moves…so how did he?”

The female rainbow face stepped next to Cyrix and asked, “How did he what?”

Cyrix immediately blushed as he turned to face her. He was stunned to see her this close, but he smiled nonetheless and asked a question.
“What is your name if you don’t mind my asking?”

The rainbow face smiled as she responded, “My name is Mim. It is a pleasure to meet you. Cyrix.” Mim then surprised Cyrix further by saying something important.
“Your nephew seems to know at least three of the normal six fighting styles. But the moves he’s using now…seem to be something he created.”

Cyrix had to admit, despite the current danger a few feet away he couldn’t help but smile inside. “It would seem that we have a lot of knowledge between us.” said Cyrix with a serious tone.

Without taking her eyes off the fight ahead Mim stated: “It would seem so.”

At this point in the fight, Dante had taken a step back to catch his breath but Longtail now knowing he had to give Dante a moment to breath, he only pushed his attacks.

Dark-Eye once more brought his claws to bear down on Longtail, but the young flyer simply stepped to his right, and using the momentum he’d gained in that small movement to jump off the ground, and slashed at the fast biters neck, and scored a direct hit, leaving several small scratches.

However before Longtail could come out of his jump, Dark-Eye swung his tail and caught Longtail in the belly, sending him backwards, and sliding across the grass.

Dark-Eye smiled at his saw Longtail hurt, but before he could take any more action, Dante stepped in-between the two combatants and again the two sharpteeth traded claw for claw, neither one able to out maneuver the other. That is until Dante brought his tail around, and hoped Dark-Eye would see it coming.

Dark-Eye indeed fell for the ruse and ducked his head to avoid the tail whip from Dante, but failed to notice that Dantes’ foot was coming around as well, and caught Dark-Eye in the stomach, knocking him backwards and falling onto his side with a scream of pain.

Longtail at this point had gotten up, rather shakily from Dark-Eyes last attack. He shook off the pain as best he could and was about to take a fighting stance, when he heard Bleeding Heart say.
“We are done here! But we will be back!”
He then turned and began to walk away, but as he and the other fast bitters stalked off into the forest, Leviathan looked back at Longtail and frowned, she almost seemed sad.

As soon Dante was sure the sharptooth and the fastbitters were out of sight and far enough away he turned and gave Longtail a high-five, which was quickly returned.

“Yes!” cried Longtail.

“I never thought we’d get to do that again! It’s great to see you alive and well Longtail.” said Dante with a wide grin.

“I’m just glad to see that in our time apart you haven’t gone soft Dante.” said Longtail with an equally wide grin.

As the two friends chatted away several of the valley residents were confused, upset, and a little afraid.

Topsy decided to interrupt Dante and Longtails’ conversation. “What is another sharptooth doing here in our beautiful home?!”

Dante being caught by surprise turned to face the crowd of leaf eating dinosaurs and bowed as he said in response to Topsy’s question.
“Relax old timer, I’m on your side!”

“WHAT DID YOU CALL ME?!” cried Topsy in a fit of anger.

Tria who was standing next to her mate smiled lightly and said at a whisper “Well, Topsy, you are old. But I love you all the same for it.”

Topsy smiled as he nuzzled with Tria, but his frown returned when he heard a familiar voice.
“Well it seems Longtail has done the impossible, and made friends with a sharptooth.”

Topsy turned to face the speaker.
“Pterano, you haven’t left yet you no goodó“

“Topsy! We’ll have none of that today.” Tria said as she scolded Topsy for speaking like that.

Pterano gave a small smile as he replied.
“Well Mr. Threehorn, despite your lack of hospitality, my opinion still stands, I believe Longtail has made a rather large stepping stone in our world. To make friends with a fast biter, and form a bond like they appear to share isn’t easy, dare I say near impossible.”

Cera having heard Pterano’s comments muttered under her breath “Yeah, well we did it first!”

It was then that Korr once again butted into the meeting.
“So it’s true, you really are some kind of half breed freak! You said you were half sharptooth, and that alone makes you a threat!”

Longtail immediately cast his gaze down to the ground in front of him, and refused to make eye contact with anyone.

Grandpa Longneck saw the change in Longtail and gently asked, “Is what you said true? I can promise you, it won’t change anyone’s opinion of you here.”

Longtail merely nodded his head fearing his voice would tell more than he wanted them to know, as his breathing became faster paced and his body started quivering.

Dante noticed the change in Longtail, and placed his hand on Longtails head as he said:
“Relax, buddy. Nothing bad is going to happen, not here. I promise.”

Longtail seemed to get the message as he opened his eyes and looked up to meet his uncles’ gaze.

Cyrix was gauging his nephews’ feelings and at the moment they locked eyes, Cyrix could tell Longtail was afraid. He then turned to Mim and sighed.
“I’m sorry Mim, but perhaps later we can talk again later?”

She smiled in return and said, “That would be nice.”

Cyrix then stepped over to Longtail and Dante.
“You boys did a great job today, you should be proud.”

Dante was going to respond, until Korr spoke up once more.
“Oh please, that sharptooth and that freak nephew of yours have nothing to be proud of except for the fact that they don’t belong here!”

Cyrix sighed and patted Longtail on his head and said, “Don’t listen to him Longtail, remember you saved his son. You’ve done very well.”

“So it’s true then! The face of our greatest enemy is a child, and he’s staying in our valley.” stated Kosh with a grunt.

Pterano seemed to take that last comment as an insult as he retorted, “Now wait just a moment. Are you saying that young flyer down there is our enemy just because he has potential ties to the sharpteeth?!”

Kosh looked up and stuttered, “That’s right! And I say we banish him and his sharptooth friend quickly! Or else more sharpteeth might gather here!”

Ducky’s mother then voiced her opinion.
“Are you all listening to yourselves, you are all arguing over the fate of a child, a hatchling no older then our own! How dare you all treat him any different!”

Korr stomped his paw into the dirt and shouted “Keep your big mouth out of our business!”

But before Ducky’s mother could give a comeback to Korr, Longtail called out from in front of his uncle, “HEY STUPID!!! I believe I’m the one you want to be talking to, so either sit there and shut up or come and get me!”

Korr was never one to take an insult, and that included one from children but that last outburst from Longtail threw Korr into a rage, and to prove it he turned his head and charged towards Longtail and Cyrix.

Cyrix seeing this happen jumped out of the way, but as he looked back he could see Longtail was standing his ground.
“Longtail…move out of the way!” cried Cyrix with a desperate look in his eyes.

Dante as well dodged out of the way of the charging Red Horn, but as he too looked back to see his friend standing still he looked into Longtail’s eyes and he could see the seriousness and pure resolve to face Korr no matter what the cost.

Korr was now too close for Longtail to dodge, but just like with Dark-Eye everything to Longtail was moving in slow motion. He didn’t understand it yet, but it was cool all the same.

Longtail turned his body, and spun in a circle and as Korr lowered his horn to try and pierce Longtail’s body, Longtail let his legs fall out from underneath him and he landed on the ground, on his back still spinning, and lashed out with his tail using it much like a whip and trying to trip Korr like a vine in the jungle.

And to everyone’s surprise it worked! Korr’s rear left foot was caught by Longtail’s whip like move and Korr landed hard on his side.

Longtail rolled off his back and stood up dusting himself off, but decided it would be best not to say anything, as he really didn’t feel like angering Korr again.

The Red Horn then stood up as well, with a bit of effort on his part, looked back once, sighed, and began to walk with a slight limp back to his herd in another part of the valley.

Longtail let go of a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding. It was then he felt a hand on his back, but the voice that accompanied it wasn’t familiar to him.

“That was most impressive Longtail. It seems your uncle was right about you. You really are unpredictable and wild.” said Mim with a warm smile.

Longtail turned and was surprised to see another rainbow face like his uncle standing behind him. He only stared for a moment more before speaking.
“Hello, nice to meet you….”

Cyrix chose that moment to interrupt “Her name is Mim Longtail.”

Longtail only smiled.
“Hi Mim.” as he finished his greeting a thought crossed his mind as he asked Mim. “If you know my Uncle Cyrix, does that make you my aunt?”

Both Cyrix and Mim were caught off guard by the question, and for a moment neither of them spoke, but as they were thinking of a response their eyes locked, and almost immediately Cyrix began blushing again.

It was Mim however that broke the tension as she began to laugh, and quickly after her Cyrix laughed as well.

“If it is easier for you Longtail then you may call me aunt, but just know that I only met your uncle today, so we don’t know much about each other.” Said Mim with a casual tone in her voice.

But the argument from the rest of the valley herd was escalating into another shouting match.

“I don’t care! He needs to be removed now, so as not to cause anymore trouble!” cried Topsy.

However a swimmer in the back of the group commented: “Yes, but he’s playing both sides, good and bad, I say that’s rather useful and we should keep him around for a while longer.”

Petrie’s mother Ptami then spoke her mind.
“But he can’t leave, his wing is still wounded. And beside he has family here, his Uncle Cyrix is looking after him.”

Kosh then grunted and replied, “Not well enough if the child can be taken from this valley so easily and tortured into working with the enemy!”

Cyrix then took a step forward and said, “Now wait just a moment! We don’t know anything about what happened to Longtail while he was outside the valley! He may have just been held prisoner until he agreed to work with them, there is no proof to say they tortured him!”

Longtail’s facial expression however changed immediately as he thought about what he had to do to gain the sharpteeths’ trust…and it made him feel sick all over again.

Dante stepped forward and helped sit Longtail down as he could see his friend wasn’t looking too well. “Just relax buddy, this’ll be sorted out sooner then you think.”

Dante’s voice was reassuring to Longtail, but it still didn’t quiet the sickening feeling his belly was giving him.  Longtail thought that taking a nap would make things better, so he laid his head down and let the sound of the elders arguing to lull himself to sleep.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Those were two very good chapters. I hope you'll get one day to finish your storyline, but I can understand how busy and timeless things can turn, so take your time and do what you think is best. Nice to see well known OCs in your storyline too :) .

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Its a shame that this fanfic has been dead for so long... it's interesting so I'm planning to read and review it from front to back in the next few weeks.  One thing I like about the first chapter is how the action starts with a secondary character and not a member of the gang - it gives the gang some status in the Great Valley and it also shows that there are other kids out there that are the same age as them.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, what can I say? you made me want to re-read this fanfic, Caustizer :DD .
 The LBT world is indeed very big for stories and characters to develop.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well then do I have good news for you all! :lol :idea

As my muse has come back from the dead, I will be reviving and revising this entire fanfic to relate to several of the RP's that have taken place since this story started, so expect more of this story to come. ;)