The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

One Long Tail

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Quote from: Chiletrek,Dec 9 2007 on  02:41 AM
Hello:
 Oh cool! I wanted to read another chapter, I hope they will keep on coming, the presence of another character adds a bit more of foreshadowing to the whole story :yes , keep it up!
Oh don';t worry by the time Chapter 19 is up...you won't know who to turst...well maybe you will...we'll just have to see!

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
You forgot a "who" in the 3rd to last paragraph, but this is really outstanding. However, I have a feeling that the plot might soon take a sort of "fairytale direction" that I see occasionally in LBT (and other types, too) fanfictions. Only time will tell....

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Dec 9 2007 on  02:51 AM
Oh don';t worry by the time Chapter 19 is up...you won't know who to turst...well maybe you will...we'll just have to see!
Hello:
 I look forward to see what happens B) .

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Sorry if I broke some rules, and I admit I hate double posts (even though I've been forced to do them in more than one ocassion :blink: ), but I really need to tell this to The Great Valley Guardian: PLEASE POST MORE!!!!!!, I saw the story in your devianart page and I really really want to know what will happen next, please :^.^: , the story is amazing and it really caught me asking for more, not everybody can do that.
 Thanks!

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Finally here is Chapter 7! Enjoy and my first fanfic update of 2008!

A sad revelation

ëYou must wake up little one.’ called the voice. He knew it well, almost too well…as he now understood that when this voice spoke it usually brings with it very bad news.

He also began to realize that he wasn’t in the great valley anymore…..come to think of it his surroundings were abnormally bright, almost blinding to look directly at in any direction. Then the voice began speaking once again ëYou can feel it can’t you….chaos coming…now know that there is no way you can lose….or face the loss of the ones you care about.’

Longtail then cried as loud as his vocal chords would go and shouted “I will never let go….I know my life has been one long walk….but I will NEVER let my friends and family down…..not now nor EVER again….I will show the living AND the dead that I can see…what a this flyer can do!”

The voice as clam and collected as it usually sounded, Longtail could hear the emotion in its voice. ëThe reason you keep coming here is for answers, but even now you refuse to ask any of the right questions!’ Longtail then looked around and said “What questions! I’m just a kid who wants to forget…” he said with a sigh

At that point if Longtail had guessed at what was going to happen next he probably would’ve been wrong. The voice screeched almost in his ear, but at the same time came from nowhere! ëYou useless little ball of flesh and bone! How dare you try to forget! If you won’t listen…then I will SHOW YOU!’

Then Longtails surroundings drastically changed, from a blinding uncontrollable white light, into a vision he wished would disappear for ever…but again he saw his mother being struck in the back by a flying rock…but this time something was different…noticeably different…in the darkness of what little forest was left, he could see a figure….

A dark and mysterious figure, and as Longtail relived this morbid scene again he also noted that this dinosaur in the shadows had a pair of yellow, piercing, glowing eyes, and in that moment the memory froze in place, time seemed to stop altogether.

“Those eyes….those horrible yellow eyes…” Longtail quietly whispered to himself. To look directly at the two symbols of darkness scared the child more than facing ANY sharptooth ever had!

The voice then broke Longtails trance on the creature by saying: ëYou don’t remember who that is do you?’ When silence was all that the voice received. He only had to whisper it to shock himself out of his sleep-story, but before he did...

He saw the Great Valley under him with it’s lush green trees, and unique outcroppings, and happy inhabitants, but then the valley…just like his home was taken away in a single flash of red light from the Yellow-eyed monster.

With his eyes filling with tears of anger and sorrow at the same time he uttered only one word “D-Dad” And in a flash his eyes shot open, only this time he actually had a reason to scream…and he did just that. “AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!”  

After closing his beak and listening to still of the night, he put his head down and cried…and he continued to cry though-out the night with no care or concern if anyone was watching…he just sat there with his tail wrapped around his body trying to steady his shaking body…but to no avail

Even when the Bright Circle rose in the sky, lighting the ground under it, chasing away the physical shadows of the night…it still meant nothing to the flyer as he sat and let the tears flow undisturbed…he didn’t whimper, or sob in fear…just let the natural salt water drip from his eyes.

A short time later…

As Ali, Cera, Ducky, Littlefoot, Petrie, Spike and Terri walked down to the watering hole for their morning drink, they all noticed a crowd of onlookers at the edge of the falls.

When Littlefoot and company had forced their way through the crowd, they saw exactly what was causing the large group of adults to look so upset.

They saw Longtail sitting on a rock, crying like a new born hatchling. And while everyone was trying to call out to him, Littlefoot walked up to his grandparents and said “Why is Longtail so sad, and crying?”  Ali walked up to Littlefoot and offered her opinion “I think he needs someone to help him, he looks afraid…..but of what I don’t know. What do you think Teri?” When Ali got no reply from her friend she looked over to where Teri was sitting, but Ali noticed she wasn’t there anymore.

She didn’t understand what was happing, or why it was happening at all, but Teri for one reason or another, found herself slowly walking towards him. When she first saw him staring into the sky with a blank look on his face and crying, something inside her heart told her to be by his side.

As Teri walked towards Longtail, just wanting to make him feel better, she failed to notice that she herself was begging to cry, not out of fear, but understanding. When Teri reached the rock Longtail was currently residing on, she slowed her advancement, called out his name, and when he didn’t respond she took further steps.

She quickly realized that simply trying to talk to Longtail wasn’t going to work, and much like many in the Great Valley, she listened to her heart, and sure enough it gave her an answer. Teri climbed onto the rock, which surprisingly held both of them…she proceeded to wrap her wings around him…then decided to try calling his name. “Longtail….I know you can hear me…please look at me.”

Still getting no answer she tried again “Longtail please for your friends and….” Understanding what she was about to say to him she only thought about it for a few seconds and then continued “…family…yes, that is the right word…we’re your family now…and please for those that like you and like having you here…please just look at me and let me know your okay…please Longtail…”

Just then Terri was getting desperate, and it was in this moment, she remembered hearing a song not to long ago and this feeling in her heart told her it was the only way to get her friend back……….

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very well written, how many more chapters, roughly, is the story?

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Awesorme, a new chapter! :) , so sorry for the late reply. I really enjoyed to read more about Longtail's story and you really know how to get us with that sensation of "oh noes!, and what comes next!", it is really well written, keep it up and I look forward for your next update.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the review! I will be updating tongiht or tommorw so be on the lookout!

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
What a build up. Once again, you really captured the emotion there. I don't know what to expect next, nor do I know if this will be my type of fanfiction or not. I'll keep an eye out on this one. I'm definitely interested in the progress on this one.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I am very interested too, for many reasons. :)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah....I'm bored now...so here's Chapter 8!

Just for future reference when you see this (Que) at any point in the story, it will indicate for you the reader to play a certain song…depending on if you have it….or if you’re like me…just use YouTube and listen to a music video)

Five long days, One short attack!

Teri could almost hear the song in her head….and then she suddnely remembered the words to the song and of course she decided to sing it.

'It's lucky I couldn't sleep the other night, or I might not be able to help him.' Teri thought to herself as she quietly sang...'Don't you cry...hide your tears...for a new day will start...your heart will be saved...by the ones you love...know that everything is in your wings...we rise or fall!' 'please Longtail show us you're okay.'

Although, he could still hear the voice speaking….Longtail had long ago lost interest in the seemingly never-ending ranting it continued to shout in his ear. ’Are you even listening anymore child!’ cried the voice “To be honest…” called Longtail “…No….actually I’m more interested in that new sound I can hear.”

It began as a light buzz in the back round of this ’place’, then began to get louder and louder, and then it became so loud Longtail’s head began to hurt. He gritted his teeth and tried to block out the sound, but he just couldn’t block out this seemingly unending droning sound.

This new buzzing sound just would not end…and it was beginning to get on his nerves….so much so that it made him want to scream. ’You know what you must do….NOW DO IT!’ screamed the voice, and for once Longtail not only agreed with the voice, but actually did as he was told.

(Que= Rise from 2:58--3:34)

Longtail opened his beak, inhaled as much air as his lungs would allow, then he let out a scream so loud it equaled and surpassed the droning around him, louder and louder, and louder still…then his voice became more and more shallow, until it didn’t even sound like him anymore, it actually sounded like…like…someone he knew…almost like….his eyes shot open at the sudden revelation “Teri!”

Just as she was getting towards the end, Teri could hear Longtail slowly and surely humming along with her…and she knew she was getting though to her friend. Teri then noticed that the tears had finally stopped flowing from his blood shot eyes, which meant that she could stop crying as well…

And then the most amazing thing happened. Longtail blinked, leaned his head against hers, and whispered in her ear “You….you….helped me….thank you….” And with his that he fell into a deep, soundless sleep which would last for days….but when he awakens he will discover abilities he didn’t know he had………

Five days later……

He could smell it, before he realized he was walking subconsciously towards it. His heart was racing, but his body, just like before in the Mysterious Beyond continued to walk….towards what he would just have to find out.  

“Hey Littlefoot!” called Cera “How about another game of sharptooth?” the rest of the group just sat in the grass with their heads hanging low….then Ducky decided to voice her opinion. “I really wish Longtail were here….he makes the best sharptooth.”

However what surprised Cera the most was that in fact everyone else agreed with her. This of course enraged the threehorn “Wait a minute, I thought I was the best sharptooth!” she cried “Well if you want we can always have a sharptooth scare-off, if it’ll make you feel any better.” Cried an unknown voice from the shadows

Almost in synchronized unison they entire group shouted “LONGTAIL!!!!”  “The one and only….and don’t you forget it, now about our challenge….Cera?” It only took the orange threehorn a few seconds to respond to the question. “Well then….” She said with a sly smile on her face “….BRING IT ON!!!!”

As the group approached the forest of darkness, which was of course off limits to the children in the valley….but of course this didn’t stop them from going it was a bad habit they had formed. Just before they reached the edge of the forest, Longtail stopped in his tracks, and said “Stop everyone!” “Why?” asked Ali

But Longtail didn’t give her an answer…..he just stared straight ahead into the forest…..

Meanwhile inside the forest of darkness…..

“Sister do you really think we need this many sharpteeth for just one kid?” then the White and red striped sharptooth turned her head and looked at her brother with her emerald green eyes and said “This is no ordinary child, this child killed most of our brothers and sister before she hatched…or do you need another reminder?”

“No sister…..I remember very clearly….after what father told us…..I still want revenge!!!!” The sharptooth’s older sister looked away from her brother and stated “Then we will have our revenge together!!!”

“Well well what do we have here...he came to us all on his own….and he brought friends with him…after all…we might need a meal on the way home…" Her brother on the other hand whispered to himself "I really hope that the child doesn’t decide to…."

“RUN!!!” cried Longtail, but the others were just confused…. “But…” Littlefoot never got to finish his sentence as Longtail said again “I don’t have time to explain this to you guys….JUST RUN NOW!!!”

The others now knowing that something was wrong….turned and ran as fast as they could away from the forest…but unfortunately it wasn’t fast enough….as the shaprteeth chose that moment to attack.

Longtail extended his wings, locked his claw tips into attack position, and readied his tail for an immediate assault…..and when the shrpteeth rushed from the bushes…and tried to go after Littlefoot and the others….Longtail did the one thing he was good at...fighting other sharpteeth!

He turned his head around and chased after the four sharpteeth, and managed to catch up with them….however, just as he was about to interfere in the chase, another sharptooth jumped up from behind and grabbed Longtail, dragging him to the ground, and knocking him unconscious……

And as he began to awaken, Longtail looked around and feared for what was coming next……….

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 This is awesome, thanks for the fast upload (I really need my rocking smilie in here B) ).
 And I bet it will become more interesting, keep it up! I really mean it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Judging from all of these chapters, and just the last one alone, it seems to me like Longtail has a multi-personality.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not saying yes and I'm not sayng no.....but this will be a very unique story...I'm love being able to post it here!

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
You don't have to say anything. :lol: The story will ultimately speak for itself.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting chapter and great having a cliffhanger ending like that.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Alright! New chapter to read.  :lol:
Keep it up.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
:DD Updating this is fun! Enjoy!

A flyer leans the Truth!

As Longtail began to awaken, he noticed…something was wrong…he was being held by something, or someone…..he noted with a grim disposition that he was being held by his most hated enemy….a sharptooth, but not just any sharptooth…”It’s you….it can’t be….” Stuttered Longtail “Oh but it is me my child.” said the sharptooth with a grin on her face.

When Longtail decided to look around he saw that he wasn’t the only captive in the sharptooths’ clutches. They were also holding Littlefoot hostage as well….and then Longtail knew he’d have to change tactics if he wanted Littlefoot to come out of this unhurt.

Just then Littlefoot began to wake up as well, and then asked “Longtail, where are we?” But of course Longtail didn’t answer….one of the shrpteeth did. “Don’t worry little one, you are still inside your Great Valley…just not anywhere you know of.”

“Well this stinks…” commented Longtail, but for his muttered out-burst the young flyer received a swift kick in his stomach, forcing him to cough just a bit. “Well, well, well, I didn’t know you still held a grudge….I mean after all this time I thought you would’ve forgotten all about that messy little tussle we had out in the Mysterious Beyond.” said Longtail to the lead sharptooth

But of course this only served to get Longtail another forceful smack, this time across his face. Littlefoot couldn’t understand how Longtail could just sit their and take that kind of abuse…but of course, from what he had heard, Longtail had survived much worse.

“I-If I may a-a-ask, what is your name?” croaked Littlefoot to the lead sharptooth. And she of course answered. “My name dear child is…” “Her name is Darktooth Littlefoot, supposedly one of the most feared sharpteeth in the entire Mysterious Beyond…or so the rumor goes.”

That one sentence finishing outburst got Longtail a very painful induced roundhouse tail whip from every single sharptooth in striking distance. “Look can you just take us to our friends in the center of the Valley, because if the others made it back to the elders, then you may be able to reach a favorable type of deal.” Said Longtail in a distant, almost dream like voice.

When Darktooth was about to strike again, she stopped herself and said “Yes, that is a very good idea, you may have a place here yet.” She then turned to her brother and said "Sniff out the rest of the valley herd so we can get this...deal underway!"

Inside the center of the Great valley….

“WHAT?!” roared Cera’s father in a fit of rage. “You must remember that the children didn’t mean for this to happen, but now that it has, we have to find a way to get them back, especially Littlefoot.” said Grandpa Longneck

“Wait what about Longtail? Are we just going to leave him with those vile sharpteeth?” asked Petries mother with a hint of concern in her voice.

“Of course we are!” cried Topsy “No we’re not!” shouted Littlefoot’s grandmother “Well then what are we going to do?” asked Tria “I say we try to face a bargain with these sharpteeth”

“That was MY idea!” cried a voice everyone recognized almost immediately. The elders looked over to the bushes on their right and noticed that along with Longtail, was of course Littlefoot, but they were both being held by sharpteeth.

“This is all my fault….I should’ve KILLED YOU WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE!!!!” screamed Longtail at the top of his lungs at Darktooth who was holding him in her claws.

Darktooth looked calmly down at Longtail, and said “Don’t worry little one, you may still get the chance to kill…it just won’t be me.”

At this point Longtail was obviously confused, and to clarify the situation, Darktooth said “Let the little longneck go….and don’t even THINK about questioning me….just do it.”

The other sharpteeth did as they were told and let Littlefoot go, and of course he wasted no time in running to his family who was waiting for him at the far end of the meeting circle.

ëBut what about Longtail….we can’t just leave him with those monsters!' thought Littlefoot to himself  

Darktooth then opened her mouth, exposing her pearl white teeth, and one began to change color….and she placed her open maw over Longtails neck….and said:

“Oh don’t worry young one this won’t hurt a bit…….”

As Darktooth prepared to do what she had dreamed of for years, she spoke up one more time… “If you have anything terribly important to your little friends, I would do so now….because once I’m done with you…well let’s just say you won’t be you” she aid with a sly look on her face.

Longtail looked at his captor out of the corner of his eye as she dug her blood red fang, and the rest of her teeth into his neck, and held it there for what felt like forever, and even though in reality it was only a few short seconds The fang seemed to be getting hotter with each passing second….at one point Longtail could’ve sworn she was going to burn a hole through his neck.

Then just as quickly as it had started, Darktooth removed her jaw from his neck, and casually threw Longtail into the center of the field.

ëSo….what now?’ thought Littlefoot to himself. ëThis can’t be good…she bites him and then lets him go?’

Just then, Longtail began to feel sick to his stomach…really, really sick…he insides were on fire, but his outsides were freezing over…his vision began to blur…he broke into a cold sweat…his mind was so dissolved by all this happening at once…that he couldn’t even form a full sentence…as a matter of fact, he couldn’t speak….at all!

And right then in that moment, Longtail’s heart skipped a beat…and then his body, and his mind, were assaulted by what would felt like fire…burning, slowly enraging and killing the young flyer.

But every time he opened his eyes Longtail saw the friends he had made, before and after arriving in the Great Valley. Longtails vision was only getting worse…a red cloud began to form around his eyes and he knew something was terribly wrong.

He could feel his emotions flaring like a fire during the dry spell…the two most dominating were his anger, and hatred. Every moment that passed he only became more and more angry with not only the one responsible for this, but at the elders for not trying to help get him out of trouble.

Longtail knew he could never truly hate anyone in the valley herd, but this new sensation was just too overpowering…and while sitting still would have been a good idea his body went into convulsions…causing the flyer only more blinding, mind numbing pain.

Then to add more fear to the valley herd watching, Longtail began to bleed...it started slowly, leaking out of his nose…then it sped up, and then started to drip from his mouth, and finally as he attempted to breath, he forced out a cough and of course a small spatter of blood was the result.

“You see, this is what I like to call the Sharptooth disease. It infects the host, and in this little ones case…” gesturing towards Longtail… “It can change someone from a sweet, innocent child, into your worst fears!”

“But why him?” asked Topsy. “What this child did to me is none of your concern…but at this point…you and your herd have three choices…..One, you let the flyer turn into a sharptooth, and he kills you all….Two, the child transforms and you defend yourselves and kill him, or Third, if he continues to resist this as he has…it will just run its course and kill him…..so, you see either way I win!”

With one last long look into the eyes of his newest friends, and two he considered family in the valley, Longtail the flyer put his bloodied head onto the stained grass beneath him, and closed his eyes…hoping his pain and anguish would disappear forever as his heart beat became slower, and slower and slower…..

….but it was not to be….as Longtail soon discovered. “Not again!” said the flyer as loud as his weak and tired voice would allow. ëIt seems to me…’ started the voice, but was cut off by Longtail.

“No..." he sad inbetween breaths "I’m done listening to you….now you WILL listen to me. I finally have questions that I want answered NOW!” The voice simply gave a grunt of approval and allowed the child to continue

“I want to know three things: One, who am I….Two, what am I and don’t say a flyer…and Three, show me this ëGuardian spirit’ you keep referring to.” Said Longtail in an even toned voice

ëWell child I for one am finally glad to see you’ve learned your first lesson about being a Guardian….knowing when to take command of a bad situation….’ said the voice, with an almost motherly embrace. Then it continued talking

ëAs to the answers to your questions…I’d be happy to help you. Although not in the order you asked them. First…to put it simply you are right you’re not just a flyer, you are also half sharptooth by blood.’

Although Longtail knew he had heard the voice correctly, he at this point in time just didn’t care. While still lying on his stomach, in the light he simply looked up and said “Yeah, what else ya’ got?”

The voice then seemed again pleased with the flyers response. ëMy, my, it looks like your learning all over the place today. The second lesson of a Guardian is, knowing when to let go of your feelings and emotions…as they can sometimes hurt you when they get in the way of protecting the ones you care about.’

Longtail again wasn’t even so much as moved…as his answer dictated “And the hundred treestar question is…”

ëHmm…It looks like you have a stronger heart than I realized…and now for your final answer....your real birth name is…Longtail Skyfire.’

That last answer caught Longtail by surprise as he raised his head as high as he could while still laying on his stomach. “You mean the name my friends gave me only a few days ago….is the same name my birth parents gave only moments after I hatched?!?!”

The voice gave a pleased grunt of approval, and said ëyes little one…Longtail has been and will always be your own name.’

“Well…” began Longtail “…this is pretty cool.” “So, do have any other words of wisdom, oh mysterious light?” asked the flyer with a hint of pride in his voice. ëWhy as a matter of fact…I do have something to show you, but first you must do one thing for me….’

“And that would be what?” asked a somewhat confused Longtail ëWhy it is really quite simple…all you have to do to see what I have to show you is….change the color in your right eye.’

“You want me to WHAT!?!” cried Longtail still knowing he actually couldn’t move his body he still felt a shiver go down his spine. “H-How do I do that?” he stammered to the voice.

ëChange the color in your right eye…just like this.’ And without knowing where the voice was coming from, he felt a jolt, like sky fire (that’s lighting to you and me) his right eye dilated and he could see it happen like looking in the water at his reflection, and indeed his right eye changed colors from a hot pink, to a sun-burst yellow.

And his response to this change was two-fold “It’s just as bright as the Day Circle….but why do I feel….different.” The voice of course sensing the young ones distress said

ëNow that you have learned to open your heart to the truth of your past and family….I can show you my secret.’ “What secret?” asked Longtail

ëJust stand up and you’ll see what I mean.’ Said the voice, and Longtail did as he was told and finally found the strength to stand on his two feet. But upon standing, a soft yellow glow began to radiate from where his heart would be.

As surprising as this was to the flyer, he didn’t have time to respond, for at that very moment, the yellow light drifted away from his chest and moved a distance from the child. Then the ball of light began to take on a shape, and then a whole new form…“No, you can’t be….it’s not possible….I’m facing a-a-a-….”

ëYes, little one’ said the voice looking down at him from the air ëI am a Guardian…and not just any Guardian…..but your guiding spirit. And I have one other thing to tell you little one…..’

But before Longtail could get past his current shock the spirit then told him

ëI am your mother…………’