The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time: Dawn of the Seven Heroes

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
We all know that I’ve not been very active on the forum, but in my absence, I’ve not just be twiddling my thumbs. I’ve been writing a lot in the form of fan fictions. I did a few kinky one shots that aren’t really worth making a thread about, but there is one with chapters that took me around a year to write. Even so, the quality is not that great. It is the first fan fiction I ever finished that isn’t a one shot. I did proofread it, but with my inexperience, I likely made a number of grammatical errors, plot holes, contradictions, confusing parts, and so forth, but I really did my best.

I feel that it’s decent for a first attempt at this sort of thing, but still, it’s a far cry from the stories of the veteran writes of this forum. I would also like to add that this isn’t a “pure” Land Before Time story. The content of this would never be considered in the making of a LBT movie. I blended a lot of Final Fantasy elements into it, so it’s a pretty crazy story. If you only like stories that could have been made into one of their movies, this story is certainly not going to interest you at all. I gave it somewhat of an RPG feel.

Anyone, let me continue by saying that it won’t bother me if no one has anything to say about it. I am well aware that it is very amateurish, so I give myself plenty of negative feedback as it is, heh heh. If you absolutely love reviewing and/or commenting, I won’t try and stop you, but my feelings won’t be effected if this thread is only littered with my own statements. I hope you fantasy lovers enjoy this a little bit. I’ll put up new chapters often, so at least there won’t be much of a waiting game to reach the end. So, that all being said, here is what my brain came up with over a year’s time. Oh, and because the prologue is very short and doesn’t really advance the story itself, I’ll start by posting the prologue along with chapter one. Have a nice day.

I can face the world through a different light. Though it pains my heart, all I can do is fight, fight, fight! With the power of my mind, and the strength of my friends, I’ll put a stop to destruction ends.

I will follow my destiny no matter the path. Though danger looms within, I will find the courage to win, win, win! I’ll protect who’re close, and save who’re dear, and stop all the perils that keep drawing near.

I won’t give up and I can’t lose hope. Though the troubles are many and eases are few, I won’t stop till the job is through, through, through! As I gaze up and look all around, I wonder, is there really evil to be found?

Prologue: Read Me a Story Please

In which bedtime leads to an epic struggle.

The sun started to retire for the day, and the moon began to take its place. A warm, gentle breeze whistled through the fields of grass and tall trees. No children roamed about, playing and laughing gleefully as they tend to do; it was the time that they were tucked in for the night. A tall, stone castle stood above all else in the kingdom. From even its lowest tower, the entire kingdom could be viewed with watchful and caring eyes. Inside the window of one of the highest towers, a dim glow could be seen, as well as two shadows moving about.

“Okay, daddy, I'm going to bed now,” a small child declared.

“Now son, I know how much you like to stay up, but- wait, you want to go to bed!?” his father asked incredulously.

“Yep!” he answered cheerfully, jumping into his bed and pulling up his own blanket.

“My, you sure are growing up. This is the first time you've willingly gone to sleep.”

“I didn't say I was going to sleep, daddy,” he replied with a grin. “I said I was going to bed. Read me a story.”

His father had to keep himself from chuckling. “Where did he learn that one?” he thought to himself. "All right son, but remember your manners."

“Oh yeah! Read me a story please.”

“Good boy. Now, which one would you like to hear tonight?” he asked him.

“Well,” he began, “Is there one I haven't heard yet?”

His father pondered this. He walked over to his son's bookshelf, scanned over its contents, and then replied, “I'm afraid I've read you all of your books.”

“Oh... Well, what about one of your books? Got any interesting ones?”

“Hmmm. I'm pretty sure that what I find interesting, you would find boring.”

“Any story'll do. Don't you have just one story book?” he pleaded.

“I do have one, but you might find it boring at your age. Besides, it is quite long. How about I just make one-”

“Ooh! I love long stories! Read it! Read it!" the child exclaimed, getting very excited. His father hesitated, so the boy added, "I can just ask if I don't understand something.”

“Very well, but I can't guarantee we'll finish it tonight.”

“That's okay. You can just read the rest some other time then.”

“I only wish my wife was this agreeable,” he thought to himself. “I'll be right back,” he said aloud as he went to his quarters to retrieve the book.

He did not have to go far, since his room was just a little down the hall from his son's. His wife was snoring loudly, which blocked out the noise he made as he got the book down. He couldn't light a candle for fear of waking her, but he grabbed the right book with ease since it felt different from any of his other ones. He crept back into his son's room, only to see him fidgeting immensely.

“I was only gone a few minutes,” he said with a laugh.

“Yeah but, I've never heard anything that wasn't from a child's book before. I've never even opened one for adults before.”

“Probably because you can't read yet," he replied with a grin. "But who is to say if a story is for youth or the elderly? If you enjoy it, then it's right for you; it doesn’t matter whether you're young, old, or something in between.”

“Wow, I never thought of that.”

“Well, as you get older and experience things for yourself, you will also learn a great deal. Now, let's get started, shall we?” With that, he drew attention to the book.

It was covered in dust, yet appeared brand new- an odd combination. It had a golden inscription in bold lettering on the cover.

“What does that say?” the child asked.

“It says, ëLegend of the Seven Heroes,’” came his father’s reply. He opened it up to the first page. The book seemed completely new, from its binding, to its pages, to its lettering.

“How old is this book?”

“It’s many years old.”

“Wow, you sure take good care of it then.”

“But of course. This book is my most prized possession. Well, besides you and your mother, of course. It is the only copy in existence.”

“Wow. It must be super valuable!”

“You’re probably right. Now then, shall I begin?”

“What is it about?” he wondered aloud.

“It's about an epic struggle of young, well, why not have me start reading and see for yourself?”

“Yeah, that's sounds more interesting. Okay, I'm ready.”

With that, his father took back the book, and began to read.

In which friends are left, and a friend is made.

The brilliant star known as the bright circle had been up for quite some time. It wasn't yet evening, but the day had already passed its brightest point. It was a warm day, and a cool breeze roamed through the trees. They began to dance back and forth, and a single leaf, called a tree star, broke free from its high branch and began drifting down slowly to the Earth below.

It was rather beautiful, with its deep green coloration and the way it fluttered about as gravity called it down. It teetered back and forth as it neared its destination, and drops of dew on its blade began falling off, like it was crying. It was almost like the little leaf was afraid of some impending danger, as it trembled through the air. As it neared the ground, the final contribution of its life became clear.

Chomp!

“Spike! It Ducky's turn to get first tree star of day!” Petrie exclaimed.

“Oh, that is alright. It is. It is. Spike is probably much hungrier than I am,” Ducky reasoned.

“Uh huh,” Spike agreed with a nod while chewing. He finished then knocked against the tree his snack had fallen from, causing many more to fall down, resulting in a pile big enough to fill the whole gang.

“Okay guys, let’s get some tree stars too!” Littlefoot exclaimed to the others.

“I’m gonna get some, but not because you told me too,” Cera responded.

“Huh? Did I say something wrong?” he asked her, confused.

“You’re not our boss. Whether I eat or not is not your decision.”

“Uh, it was just a suggestion; I wasn’t ordering anyone to eat,” he shot back, getting a little worked up.

“Sure didn’t sound like a suggestion.”

“Two berries say Spike finish off that bush before they stop arguing,” Petrie whispered to Ducky.

“You are on.” Turning to her brother, she said, “There is plenty Spike. You do not need to rush.”

“Hey, that no fair!” Petrie huffed. Ducky just giggled.

Spike simply continued eating, wishing that everyone would just get along.

“Would you like me to say ëOkay guys, I suggest we all get some tree stars, if that’s okay with all of you?’” Littlefoot asked, getting quite angry.

“Sounds good to me,” Cera replied with a shrug. “You just solved your own problem.”

Littlefoot sighed, knowing that this could go on all day if one of them wouldn’t be the bigger dinosaur.

“I’m sorry for starting this argument. I’ll try to be more careful in the future with what I say,” he said meekly.

“Uh, good,” Cera replied slowly, a bit taken back at his surrender.

Petrie picked Ducky two berries.

“Hello my friends, my friends hello. What is up besides what is normally up?” a familiar voice called as its owner approached.

“Oh hi, Ruby,” Littlefoot said. Seeing her alone, he asked, “Where’s Chomper?” When Ruby’s around, Chomper tends to be also.

“He’s still back at the Secret Caverns; he isn’t feeling well.”

“Huh? Is he okay?” Littlefoot questioned her, quickly concerned.

“Worrying is something you don’t need to do.” She sighed. “It’s his teeth again.”

“Did he lose another one?” Cera asked.

“No, Chomper didnët lose one, two is how many he lost. That is not a bad sign though; it shows how much he’s maturing. He even said he’d be okay by himself and that I should go ahead without him. Sometimes I wonder if he even needs me to look out for him anymore,” she finished with a low tone. “Even though it wasn’t yesterday that his parents asked me to take care of him, it certainly feels like it.”

“Do not worry, Ruby. Chomper will always need you. He will. He will,” Ducky added in a comforting voice.

“Thanks Ducky, but Chomper becoming independent is not a bad thing, but a thing that is good. All Sharpteeth, actually, all dinosaurs, one day learn to take of themselves. It’s part of the great circle of life. Still, it will be sad for me when he’s ready to be on his own. He may even end up leaving the Great Valley. That’s why I want to enjoy him as much as I can while I know I still can.”

Chomper had gotten used to his most recent mouth trauma and had headed toward the others. There was now only a short distance and a small bush between them.

“I wish Chomper’s parents had let someone else be his caretaker. I certainly don’t feel comfortable doing it, even after all this time.”

Chomper froze. He had done so right behind the bush, so no one had seen him yet.

“Ruby doesn’t like taking of me?” he said to himself as a small tear formed in his eye.

“I still regret agreeing to look after him.”

That was all Chomper needed to hear. He quickly took off, running back down the hill he had just climbed up, all the while wiping away tears.

“You see, I really care about Chomper, so I just want him to have the best care, and the best care is something I don’t think I can give.”

“Don’t say that Ruby! You’ve done so much more than just keep an eye on him, and even with that you’ve done great!” Littlefoot exclaimed. “Remember the first time he lost a tooth? He was so depressed but you were able to cheer him up when we couldnët. You have done so many things for him, and so well, that I can’t think of a better dinosaur to be his caretaker.”

“Me think so too. You do whole bunch of good for Chomper, like how helpful you been when he and Ducky trapped with Thud in Mysterious Beyond,” Petrie chimed in.

“Or the time when Chomper flooded your guys’ old cave. You did not get angry with him like many would have. Oh no,” Ducky added. “In fact, Chomper tolded me later that you were still nice when he broke those stone teeth, and that made him feel much betterer.”

“Thanks guys, to all of you I thank,” Ruby told the group. “Well, I’d better go see how he’s doing.” She stooped over to pick up a crawler she had spotted, explained “In case he’s hungry and his mouth is feeling better,” then headed back to her cave.

“I guess I’d better go back to my parents’ place. I’ll just tell them I was ready to go home. I don’t want them to think badly of Ruby,” he thought to himself as he trudged off into the Mysterious Beyond. “Maybe I’ll get lucky and see Elsie again.” He slid down a small decline that led up from the valley then continued his somber trek.

He was a bit nervous. After all, last time he came out to the Mysterious Beyond on his own he was nearly killed by some other Sharpteeth. He wished that he didn’t have to walk all by himself, but he didn’t know anybody way out here; his far-off parents were it. However, that was about to change…

Dark clouds had begun looming overhead. The sky puffies bulged with the large horde of evaporated water they had collected. They rolled in from all directions, shielding the Earth below from the warm, brilliant rays of the bright circle. It had been a while since it had rained, so plant life was sure to appreciate such an oncoming event. Chomper, on the other hand, would not be so happy about it.

The winds began to pick up slowly, but gained speed as the minutes passed by. The trees swayed back and forth, while smaller plants like grass and flowers shook violently. Flyers in the area sought land as the skies became unsafe for travel. The clouds wasted no more time and small droplets began to descend upon the land.

At first, Chomper was too fixated on the news he’d stumbled upon earlier to care about the bad weather very much. As things continued to worsen though, he came to his senses and looked for shelter. Try as he might though, he could not. A tree, having had its support uprooted by the strong winds fell over, nearly hitting him.

“Wah!” he exclaimed as he jumped out of the way just in time. More and more trees began to lose their hold and come crashing to the ground. They were fairly small, barely big enough to scratch a full-grown Sharptooth, but to a very young one…

“Look out!” a voice roared through the air. Chomper turned around and stood dead in his tracks. Another tree had lost its grip and was about to crush him when he was knocked back a good distance. The tree crashed to the ground and splintered off into several pieces- a safe distance from him. He looked up to see another Sharptooth, black, and about twice his size. He seemed to be around Littlefoot’s age and stood just a bit taller than him.

“Who’re-?”

“No time. Come on!” the mysterious Sharptooth ordered. He grabbed one of Chomper’s arms and raced towards a large rock formation that towered high up and over at an angle. He got underneath, pulling Chomper in with him. “We’ll be safe here. It would take a lot more than wind to knock this place over,” he roared gently but loudly enough to be heard over the storm.

“Th-thank you,” Chomper roared to the stranger as he shivered.

“You’re welcome,” he answered. Then he noticed Chomper’s discomfort. “Hey, you’re gonna freeze like this. You don’t have enough fat to keep you warm at your age. Come ëere,” he offered, holding out his arm. Chomper happily obliged and huddled in close to be somewhat protected from the chill. He had been much afraid, but with this new Sharptooth, he felt at ease.

Despite it not yet being even midday, Chomper was exhausted. The combination of traveling and his emotional trauma had drained him. It wasn’t long before he fell asleep, leaning against the stranger.

The storm raged on for a while, but fleeted as daylight took its rightful place. The bright circle broke through the clouds and one of its rays shined directly onto Chomper’s face. “Ungh,” he moaned while shielding his eyes with an arm. He didn’t stir right away, but when the realization of the day sunk in, he awoke with a start. He looked around, but he saw no one; the Sharptooth from last night was gone.

He got to his feet and walked out from under the rock formation. There were several small trees scattered across the ground, but the area didn’t look too bad. There was a squishing noise as he walked on the soggy grass while he got his bearings. While he wasn’t very far from the course he had been on, the fallen foliage completely threw him off.

“Where am I?” he wondered aloud.

“Not far from where you were before,” came a voice.

“Wah! Oh, it’s you!” Chomper said, relieved at the sight of the Sharptooth from earlier. “Where did you go?” he asked him.

“I’m sorry for not telling and startling you. You seemed very comfortable so I didn’t want to wake you. I was just getting these for us,” he replied while revealing a large, folded leaf he was carrying. Opening it, Chomper’s eyes fixated on a wide selection of buzzing buzzers, none of which flew away.

“Wow! These are for me too?” he asked as he began salivating.

“I said ëus,’ didn’t I?” he answered with a laugh.

“Oh boy, I love those! But, how did you get them to stay on that leaf?”

“Ah, that’s one of the tricks I’ve picked up in my travels. A buzzing buzzer nest is full of a sweet-tasting liquid called honey. I’m not keen on eating that stuff, but it works wonders on catching these delectables. You take a large leaf, break open one of their hanging nests, get the goo all over the leaf, then when these little guys fly in to attack you, you start swatting the leaf at the swarm, and there you have it- they all get stuck to it,” he explained.

“Wow, youëre so smart!”

“Heh, I’ve just been around, that’s all,” he replied, handing the buzzer-covered leaf to him. Chomper took it with a hearty round of gratitude. He picked some off and munched on them gingerly, so not to aggravate his mouth pain from earlier.

“Anyway,” the stranger continued, “if you don’t mind my asking, what’s someone as young as you doing out here all alone?”

Chomper had been warned by his parents against telling too much to strangers, but he had really warmed up to this one. He had saved his life after all. “I just found out that one of my best friends wished she’d never met me, so I ran away,” he replied gloomily.

“Oh, I’m so sorry. That’s just awful. I shouldn’t have asked such a thing. How about something more pleasant, like, what’s your name?”

“I’m Chomper, but I don’t mind talking about what happened. I was just about to meet up with my friends when I heard one of them say that she isn’t comfortable looking after me.”

“Oh my, that must have really hurt.” He paused, trying to think of the best thing to say next. “You know, Chomper, that story sounds pretty hard to believe.”

“What!?” Chomper asked incredulously. “It’s all true! I’m not lying!”

“I dunno. You seem too mature to need someone to look after you.”

Chomper now turned red at his outburst. “Oh, uh, thank you. I didn’t mean to-”

“Don’t worry about it,” the stranger roared gently. “I should have said that in a better way.”

“May I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“What’s your name?”

“Oh, you’re right. It was rude of me to ask about you without introducing myself first. The name’s Dusk.”

“Will you be my friend Dusk?” Chomper asked him.

“No, I will not be your friend because it looks like I already am,” he replied with a grin.

“Thanks,” was all that Chomper could think of to say.

“Anytime.”

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
nice opening chapter sharp. keep up the good work..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wasn't this posted on fanfiction.net?  If so, I've read it (I won't give away any spoilers!) and liked what I read.  The story reminded me of a much more tame version of the Warriors of the Solar System fanfic.  Just curious, did that story have anything to do with the inspiration for your fanfic?

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wasn't this posted on fanfiction.net? If so, I've read it (I won't give away any spoilers!) and liked what I read. The story reminded me of a much more tame version of the Warriors of the Solar System fanfic. Just curious, did that story have anything to do with the inspiration for your fanfic?

Yes, I did post it there first. As for the Warriors of the Solar System, I did start reading it a long time ago, but didn't get very far. From what I saw, it was well-written, but I just had so much going on back then that it eluded my focus. I had all but forgotten it as my story was coming along. The story behind my story, if you will, was that it was, in a way, inspired by another story. Several years ago, when I was thirteen, I started brainstorming about a fiction. Not a fan fiction, but something original. I worked on it for years, but it was very boring and I didn't like how it turned out at all. I was overwhelmed with trying to create a story from scratch. I eventually cast it aside and was done with it. Years later, I happened upon fanfiction.net.

Before gong there, I had never heard of a fan fiction, much less that there were some about The Land Before Time. I started reading some, and was really impressed. I was inspired in general by reading so many good stories to try one of my own. At first, I didn't know where to start. Then I remembered my old fiction from years back, and started looking it over. I took the elements of that work and twisted things around to make them into a LBT story.

It was originally about seven people, minus the main character, who was half dragon. Anyway, I just took the ideas I had for my original story and made it work into the LBT universe. Some of the personalities I had made for the humans I instead used to portray the characters of Dusk's group. Of course, I had to change a lot about the plot to make it work with LBT, but I eventually converted it successfully, and it is the story you see now. And I am honored that you liked it.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter II: Strange Sight Starts Search

In which a search begins and disappearances abound.

“Ruby, please try to calm down; you’re exhausted,” Littlefoot reasoned.

“You want me to calm down!? Calming down is something I cannot do! I haven’t seen him in a long time, and even a little time is bad! I checked the Secret Caverns, the Thundering Falls, the Sheltering Grass, all along the Fast Water-”

“Ruby!” Littlefoot exclaimed. She stopped and looked at him. “Getting excited won’t help us find him. I’m worried too, but we have to think clearly about this. You said the last place you saw him was back at your cave, right?” She nodded. “Well then, let’s head that way.”

“But I already-”

“You were really worked up and might have missed something. Let’s take this slowly and search the Secret Caverns carefully. The others are helping to clean up after the storm, but my grandparents said I could help find Chomper, so let’s go.” Ruby could find no objections to any of that, so the two of them set off.

“Maybe Chomper decided he doesn’t need me anymore and set off on his own,” Ruby wondered aloud gloomily as they walked.

“Ruby, that kind of thinking won’t help the situation. If weëre going to find Chomper, we need to focus on the where not the why. Now think. What was Chomper doing when you last saw him?” Littlefoot questioned.

“Well, let’s see. Last time I saw Chomper, I saw him just sitting down while rubbing the side of his mouth. That is nothing unusual since he just lost two of his teeth.”

“Okay then. Let’s just start loo-” suddenly, everything went black for Littlefoot. “Huh?” he said, looking around him only to see nothing. Then the darkness began to clear up and he saw the Great Valley. Something was strange though. The entire mess from the storm was gone, but Littlefoot was certain it was still there just a moment ago. “What’s going on?” he asked, but there was no answer. Then all of sudden, he saw Chomper.

“Chomper!” he called, but he did not hear him. Littlefoot tried running up to him, only to find that he couldn’t move. All he could do was watch. He saw Chomper approaching the rest of the group. Littlefoot couldn’t believe his eyes. Amongst the group was- himself!? He saw himself talking to Ruby, then Chomper approach them. As Chomper came closer, Littlefoot saw him duck behind a bush to listen to the group. Then tears began swelling in Chomper’s eyes and he ran off. As Littlefoot continued to watch, he saw him leave the Great Valley into the Mysterious Beyond. Then as suddenly as these images appeared, everything went back to the way it was before.

“Littlefoot, are you okay?” Ruby asked him, concerned.

“Huh? What happened?” he asked her.

“You stopped talking halfway through saying ëlooking’ and seemed like you had something on your mind. Did you come up with an idea of where Chomper might be?”

“He’s in the Mysterious Beyond,” Littlefoot replied with utmost certainty.

“How do you-?”

“I don’t know how to explain it, but I just know he’s there. Come on, this way!” he called as he led Ruby to the place where Chomper exited the Great Valley.

“And uh, did you see anything, well, unusual a minute ago?” Littlefoot asked her.

“Unusual? Like what?”

“Err, never mind.”

“He didn’t stop to question it, just heeded it. Excellent,” a female voice said.

“I knew that boy was intelligent. He doesn’t waste time when the situation is dire,” male added.

“That’s enough chit-chat for now. Let’s see what happens next.”

“Very well. Let’s go.”

And with that, they were gone.

Two Sharpteeth walked side by side, while the younger one led.

“Thanks for coming with me. It’s nice to have someone to roar to.”

“No problem. I like to travel anyway. So, your parents live on an island and you live in a place called the Great Valley with your friends?”

“Yup,” he replied, and then his face fell. “Or at least, I used to.”

“Oh, I’m sorry again. I don’t mean to keep reminding you of painful memories.”

“That’s okay. I know you don’t mean to.”

“Why not you choose something to discuss? It’s safer that way,” he said with a laugh. “That is, if you want to keep chatting.”

“Oh yes! I like talking with you. Would you like to hear about my friends?”

“Sure. I’m all ears.”

“Okay. Well, there’s Ducky. She really likes water and is very nice. She repeats herself a lot when talking. Then there is her adopted brother Spike. He really likes food and is also pretty nice. He doesn’t talk though. I heard he can, but he just chooses not to.”

“I suppose he doesn’t get in too many arguments then, huh?”

“Nope,” Chomper replied with a laugh, and then continued. “There’s Petrie who can fly. He doesn’t like adventuring as much as the rest of us. Then there’s Cera. She gets in a lot of talking fights with us. She can be really nice, but I wish she would be more often.” Dusk chuckled at that description.

“Then there’s Littlefoot. He’s my best friend. It’s like he cares about everyone, and he does a lot of nice stuff to show it. He was the first one to accept me and tried harder to be my friend than any of the others when they visited my home. (Ruby wasn’t there at that time though.) Now, about Ruby. She told my parents that she’d look after me but I just found out that she really didnët want to. That’s why I left. I didnët want to be around when it makes her unhappy.”

“So, you have- six- friends?” Dusk asked in an odd tone of voice.

“Yup. Back in the Great Valley, the seven of us had a lot of fun.”

Dusk was silent for a moment and appeared to be deep in thought.

“You said some of your friends used to be afraid of you. Does that mean they aren’t Sharpteeth?” Chomper was a bit nervous at first to tell a Sharptooth he was friends with leaf-eaters, but Dusk was his new friend so he decided to tell him anyway.

“Yeah, they’re all Flatteeth.”

“By any chance, are they all different?” he asked sharply. He was completely unfazed by the fact they weren’t Sharpteeth, much to Chomper’s relief.

“What do you-?”

“I mean, is each of your friends a different species? Like Dome Head, Yellow Belly, and so forth?”

“Uh, yeah, each one is a different kind,” Chomper replied slowly, a bit taken back by the sudden spurt of questions.

“So let me get this straight. You have six friends, all different, who live in a place called the Great Valley?”

“Yup, you got it.”

“I’m terribly sorry. I just remembered that I have to do something important. Will you be alright walking to your parents’ place on your own from here?”

“Uh, sure. Is everything okay?” Chomper asked him out of concern.

“Oh, I’m fine, really. Thanks though. It was very nice meeting you. Good-bye!” And with that, Dusk took off in another direction in quite a hurry.

“Bye!” Chomper roared out to him. “Gee, I wonder what he needed to do all of a sudden?” he thought to himself.

Dusk’s run came to a halt when he was certain no one was around to see him.

“Menta, can you hear me?” he thought.

“Yes, Dusk, loud and clear.”

“I think I found them.”

“You never stray from success, do you?”

“This isn’t the time for small talk. Send Coaley my location. We all have much to discuss.”

“Yes, my lord, right away.”

“Are you sure Chomper came this way?” Ruby asked Littlefoot as they went along. “We can’t follow any tracks because there aren’t any tracks to follow.”

“I know. That storm washed away so much,” he responded, looking around. “And yes, I just know Chomper came through here.” The two of them came to a variety of trails. They had followed the path out of the Great Valley, and now there were numerous ways to continue on.

“I really wish you’d tell me how you know Chomper went the way we’re going, especially since you didnët seem to earlier.”

“I, uh, I kinda saw him leave,” Littlefoot replied awkwardly.

“What!? Then why didn’t you stop him? And if you watched him go out this way, then why did you want to check for him back at the Secret Caverns?” Ruby wanted to know. Given the circumstances, she had every right to.

Littlefoot was feeling more and more uncomfortable. The truth is, he didn’t know either. His knowledge and actions made as little sense to him as they did to Ruby. How was he supposed to explain that?

“Well, what happened was, he was there, but I was too, but not this me, I saw another one, but he couldn’t hear me yell, and I couldn’t move, so-”

“Hey, guys!” a familiar voice called from a distance. “You weren’t thinking of going on an adventure without us, were you?”

“Me hope not.”

“That would not be very nice. Oh no. Oh no.”

Cera, Ducky, and Spike ran up to them with Petrie following from the air.

“Is the mess from the storm cleaned up already?” Littlefoot asked, trying to get out of having to finish explaining to Ruby.

“No, but last of mess has big trees and rocks that grown-ups have to move,” Petrie told him.

“Humph! I could have helped them with the big stuff too, but I couldn’t let you two go off without me. Who knows what trouble you might get into without me around?” she asked with a smirk.

“Hey Dusky, I found you!” came a loud, female’s voice. Dusk turned to its owner and watched as she ran toward him, tripped over a tree root, and then landed at his feet.

“Oomph!” she exclaimed on impact.

Dusk put his hand on his forehead and sighed. The female Sharptooth, a brighter shade of black than Dusk, started getting to her feet, being about half his size. She was pretty much the same size as Chomper.

“Ouchy,” she moaned while rubbing her back.

“Are you alright?” he asked her, offering his hand to help her up. She took it and returned to a standing position.

“Yeah,” she replied quietly as she lowered her head.

“Coaley, how many times have I told you to stop running up to me like that? I mean, itës not like I was going anywhere just now.”

“Um…” she replied, trying to count them on her fingers. Dusk rolled his eyes.

“Never mind. And for the last time, stop calling me ëDusky!’”

“Yes, sir,” she responded softly.

“Now, let’s get back. Time is of the essence.”

“Okey dokey.”

Then the two of them vanished from sight.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter III: The Race to Chomper

In which the two groups make their move.

“They’re all out of the valley,” a male whispered.

“Please stop telling me things I already know,” a female whispered back.

“My humblest apologies,” the male replied insincerely. “Anyway, do you want to take care of Chomper, or should I?”

“What difference would it make?”

“I merely wanted to know your preference.”

“How thoughtful of you. You finally ask my preference when it’s irrelevant.”

The male sighed. “I’ll go after the boy.”

“Good-bye,” she said sarcastically after he was already gone. “Best get this over with,” she thought to herself.

“Maybe Spike can sniff for Chomper like he did a while back,” Ducky suggested.

“Oh yeah! Spike can find Chomper by his scent because he found Chomper by his scent,” Ruby said excitedly.

“Don’t bother,” came a voice from behind them.

They all jumped besides air-born Petrie who instead let out a yelp.

They all turned around, and Littlefoot exclaimed, “It’s you!”

Six small figures sat in a circle. Five had sharp teeth, one did not. Among those five, one had wings. The one without sharp teeth had a neck much longer than the others. The group therefore consisted of four Sharpteeth, a Sharptooth Flyer, and a Long Neck.

“Why do you think it’s them, Dusky?” the female, bright-black Sharptooth asked.

“Two things. First of all, they are seven friends, each of a different species, who all live in one place- the Great Valley.”

“What about the other thing, Dusky?”

“The second thing is- stop calling me Dusky!”

“Oh, right, sorry,” Coaley apologized while turning red. A small, green Sharptooth snickered loudly.

“Still your tongue, boy!” the orange-colored Long Neck ordered, getting to her feet. “At least show some respect in our meetings!”

Dusk raised his hand, and she settled back down. “Thank you, my dear, but it is quite alright. Agu will learn his place in time.”

Agu folded his arms and let out a dramatic “Humph!” but Dusk ignored it.

“Ma lord, if I may, what species are these friends you speak of?” the Flyer with yellow coloration asked.

“I’m not sure, though one of them is a Sharptooth, another is a Flyer, and I believe one is a Swimmer, as the boy mentioned one liking water. Why do you ask, Ceit?”

“Well, ma lord, my masterpiece went to a place called the Great Valley. During which time, it saw a group of children, seven to be exact: a Long Neck, Three Horn, Swimmer, Flyer, Spike Tail, Fast Runner, and Sharptooth. Perhaps they are-”

“Why didn’t you provide this information earlier!?” Dusk fumed. This was a much bigger deal than showing a little lack of respect.

“My apologies, ma lord. They acted so immaturely. I couldn’t imagine them being-”

“You fool! We’ve been looking for children! How did you expect them to be?” Dusk continued to rant.

“Please forgive me. I just expected The Seven to be a bit more- erm, refined. Their behavior when I saw them was most uncanny.”

Dusk took a deep breath and relaxed.

“Forget it, Ceit. What matters now is that we seem to have found who we’ve been searching for. I know the general location the young Sharptooth was in when Coaley I returned, as well as the direction he is going. I want all of you to head to the Great Valley. Coaley will take you all back to where she got me, and from there, see where our footprints were heading and go the opposite way. Menta, get the list of names from my mind that that little Sharptooth gave me, as they will be of use to you.” She nodded in agreement. “If you all get to them first, they could possibly be persuaded to join us. If those two do, we could be in trouble.”

“What are you gonna do, Du- uh, sir?” Coaley asked him.

“I’m going after the Sharptooth- Chomper. Now let’s get moving.”

They all got to their feet. As they all began to leave the meeting area, a white Sharptooth, standing just slightly shorter than Dusk, approached him.

“Very nicely done, my lord,” she said.

“Thanks for your help.”

“Thanks are not needed, my lord. A simple, telepathic reminder to take a deep breath and calm down is nothing, really.”

“No, it was very thoughtful of you. You know I need help with my tension and I appreciate getting it. Furthermore, we wouldn’t have even gotten this far in our quest if not for you finding that prophecy in Rey’s mind. You deserve a great deal of thanks, Menta; I mean it.”

“Anything for you, my lord. Well, I’d best be going. Good luck on your part.”

“Same to you. Did you get all the information from me?”

“I did.”

Then they both headed out.

“Get away from me!” Chomper yelled as he ran from his pursuer.

“Please stop! I only want to talk!” came the reply with huffing throughout.

“Stop chasing me first!”

“Stop running and I’ll stop chasing!”

“Not going to happen!”

“Ugh, I wish I exercised more often. I can’t believe I can’t keep up with a little kid. He leaves me no choice,” he thought to himself.

The stranger suddenly appeared directly in front of Chomper.

Chomper ran right into him and recoiled to the ground. “Oomph!”

“Now be a good boy and don’t-”

“HELP!”

“-scream. Now listen, I just want to talk to you. I’m not going to hur-”

The stranger suddenly lost his footing and slammed to the ground.

“Chomper, get out of here! Run!” came a familiar voice.

Chomper turned around. “Dusk!? What’s going on?” he asked, very afraid.

“I’ll explain later. Now go! I’ll handle him.”

The stranger was now getting to his feet. Chomper had been frozen in his tracks, but the urgency in Dusk’s face brought him to his senses, and he ran away as fast as he could.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
looks very good Sharp, and your back story is interesting. funny how things we imagine when we are young, are picked up again later..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter IV: The Familiar Strangers and the Visited Valley

In which the two strangers are revealed, and the Great Valley receives some visitors.

“Making your move, are you?” the stranger asked.

“And I see you’re doing the same,” Dusk replied.

Dusk and the stranger locked eyes for a couple seconds, and then backed up.

“There are plenty of shadows around to veil mine, Dusk; we’re surrounded by trees, and you’re all alone. You donët stand a chance,” the stranger declared as he backed against a tree. The shadow of the tree completely covered his own.

“I know I’ve lost a lot of weight,” Dusk replied with a chuckle, “but only half of my strength has left me. These trees are nothing.” Dusk raised his arms towards the tree that the stranger was leaning against. “Shadow Pull!” The tree gave a great lurch and began tumbling down towards the stranger, who leaped out of the way just in time, landing on his belly.

Quickly, before getting up, he tapped the tree and shouted, “Transport!” The fallen tree vanished, appeared over Dusk’s head, then dropped, but Dusk leapt out of the way.

“We’re both manipulators. I don’t think this kind battle is going to end any time soon,” Dusk said.

“Manipulators fight often. Victories aren’t so rare as you may think,” the stranger replied.

“You don’t listen, do you? I said ësoon.’ I know very well that such battles are determined by skill, and I don’t have the time to fight someone with your experience.”

“I’m flattered,” the stranger replied.

“Don’t be,” Dusk retorted. “My victory would be certain. Again, I just don’t have the time.” Dusk suddenly stopped, looking up towards the sky, then quickly turned around, trying not to make it obvious that something caught his eye. Dusk began to walk away hurriedly, but the stranger saw the whole thing.

“Transport.” And with that, he appeared on top of one the trees and looked in the direction that Dusk had turned to. There was nothing unusual to see. “Oh no,” the stranger thought.

“Shadow Pull!” Dusk shouted, and the tree the stranger was on top of suddenly came crashing to the ground. Dusk hurried away, not even staying to see if the stranger survived.

“Whoa, whoa,” the child interrupted. “Shadow Pull? What exactly does it do?”

“Good question. The Shadow Pull ability pulls an object’s or dinosaur’s highest point down towards its, his, or her shadow. The power is also dependent on the user’s strength. One cannot yank something with a Shadow Pull that he or she couldn’t pull down with bare hands.”

“Wow, neat,” came the boy’s impressed remark. “Okay, that was all I wanted to ask. Continue. Uh, please.”

Chomper was still getting farther away from Dusk and the stranger who had chased him.

“Please let Dusk be alright,” he kept saying to himself. Then he screeched to a halt. “Wait a minute! I can’t leave Dusk back there all alone! He’s my friend and that mean whatever-he-was might hurt him.” He clenched his fists. “I’m a Sharptooth, so I can’t run away when there’s danger.” He turned around and ran back the way he came at full speed, despite his exhaustion from already running for so long. “Don’t worry, Dusk. I’m coming.”

“I haven’t seen you for some time. Are you going to stay for a while again?” Littlefoot asked the female.

“I know, and hopefully not,” she replied. “We’re just here on business.”

“Oh, your friend is around too?” Ducky asked her.

“Well, he isn’t my-”

“Guys! We don’t have time to be talking because we don’t have any time. We have to find Chomper before something bad happens to him,” Ruby exclaimed.

“Take a deep breath, Ruby. Everything’s going to be fine,” the female assured her.

“What do you mean!? Chomper’s out there all alone and- wait, how do you know my name?” Ruby asked her.

“I do have ears, you know,” she replied flatly. “It’s not like your friends never call you by it.”

“Hey, have you been spying on us again?” Cera asked her angrily.

“Trust me; you’ll be thankful for that later. As for now, let’s go meet up with Chomper and my ëfriend,’” she told them.

“You know where he is?” Tell me!” Ruby demanded.

“Sorry, but requests go both ways. You didn’t take a deep breath when I asked you, so I have no obligation to respond to your question. Just follow me and everything will be fine.”

“Excuse us for just a moment, please,” Littlefoot said, and the gang huddled up a short distance away.

“I don’t trust her,” Cera said.

“Yes, and she certainly doesn’t seem very nice at all,” Ruby added.

“I say we go with her,” Littlefoot said. “Chomper could be anywhere, and if she knows where he’s at, it makes more sense to follow her than wonder around.”

“That’s just it Littlefoot! She won’t tell us if she knows, so we may end up wandering around anyway if we follow her,” Cera pointed out.

“Guys, we’re wasting time. If we don’t go with her, we’ll be lost for sure. If we do, we have a chance.” Littlefoot paused. “You know what? Whether you guys come or not, I’m going. Sometimes you just have to take a chance when it comes along.” With that, he left the circle, and walked back to her. “Let’s go.”

“Just like before, you always did seem to have a sharper mind. Alright. Come with me.” And with that, they began to walk off.

“Wait!” Ruby called. “Chomper is worth taking any chance when it comes along,” she said, smiling at Littlefoot.

“No go without us!” Petrie called, as he came over as well, riding Spike along with Ducky.

The six of them turned to Cera. “Humph!” she exclaimed, and sat down facing the opposite direction. Littlefoot sighed, and they left without her. After about a minute, she slightly turned in their direction.

“This looks like the place. Yay!” Coaley exclaimed, as she and the others stood atop part of the wall surrounding the Great Valley.

“We didn’t even need to retrace to Duskës steps,” Agu said. “Ceit easily found it from the air. I bet he wanted us to do it the hard way to be mean.”

“Shut it!” the Long Neck ordered. “Lord Dusk is not perfect. Iëm sure retracing his steps was the best idea he could come up with. With all thatës going on, surely he can’t think of everything.”

“Ooh, someone has a temper,” Agu provoked.

“You’ve not yet begun to see my temper!” she replied with a growl, bearing her teeth.

“That’s quite enough you two. Stay focused on the mission,” Menta ordered. “Ceit, you’d best get started. We’re not going to find out much looking like this.”

“Aye,” he replied. The Sharpteeth gathered in a circle while the Long Neck stood back.

The land Sharpteeth were engulfed in black smoke. When the smoke lifted, they no longer looked like Sharpteeth.

“As for me,” Ceit began.

The same dark smoke appeared around Ceit, and he emerged looking like a leaf-eating Flyer.

“Alrighty!” Coaley exclaimed. “Don’t I just look so cute as a Long Neck?”

“Sure, Coaley. And excellent work, Ceit. Now, let’s see if we can find where those children are,” Menta instructed, and they all trudged down a narrow decline into the Great Valley.

“Hey, daddy. I have a question,” the child interrupted.

“Sure, go right ahead,” his father replied.

“So, this Ceit guy has the power to change a dinosaur into another kind?”

“Not exactly. He uses magic to make others seem different to the eye, but they are really still the same species. The neat thing is, the magic adapts to their bodies to remove the physical differences. Therefore, even though Sharpteeth stand on two legs, the illusion made it look like they were really walking on four legs. And that was a good question.”

“Thanks. You can keep reading now. Err, please,”

“Alright,” his father replied with a chuckle.

The group of “Long Necks” and the “Flyer” went through the valley slowly, taking in the sights.

“Hey guys, I think this place had a brain-washing power cast on it,” Agu said. “We’d better not be here too long.”

“What are you talking about?” the Long Neck asked. “You really need to stop being weird.”

“No, I’m serious! Have you guys taken a close at the grown-ups here?” he asked the others.

They looked around, observing the adults in the valley very closely. “I’m sorry, Agu, but would you please explain yourself?” Menta finally asked him.

“Sure. From what I’ve seen here, the grown-ups have forgotten how to do everything besides eat. That’s all they’ve been doing since we’ve arrived. ëTis the work of black magic!” Then he burst out laughing at his joke.

“Agu…” Menta trailed off, while shaking her head.

“You little pest! You are so not funny!” the Long Neck shouted.

“What’s with all the racket?” a gruff voice bellowed from behind them. All of them jumped besides air-born Ceit, who instead simply jerked. They turned around to see a very angry-looking, full-grown Three Horn.

“I should ask you the same question,” Agu retorted. “You’re ten times louder than all of us combi-”

Menta, who was standing directly beside Agu, quickly covered his mouth. “We are sorry for disturbing you ,sir. We will try to be more quiet.”

“Humph! You’d better do more than just ëtry.’” Looking right at Agu, he added, “And if I were you, I’d watch that mouth of yours, boy.”

Agu tried to say something back, but Menta’s grip was too firm. “Understood sir. We will be more quiet,” she told him.

“Good!” And with that, he tromped away.

Menta let go, and Agu made a very dramatic gasping noise.

“I wasn’t holding you that tightly,” Menta said flatly. “Anyway, if we’re going to find out where those children are, we’d best not be stirring up trouble. Do you want them to drive us out? Even with powers, we would be overwhelmed if all the residents attacked us.”

“I know that,” he replied.

“Do you kids need any help?” another loud voice came from behind them.

This time, only Agu jumped. “Will you dinosaurs stop doing that!?” He turned around to see an elderly Long Neck with a friendly expression.

“Heh heh. Sorry about that. I see that you’ve already met Mr. Three Horn.”

“If you’re talking about that obnoxious creature that yelled at us earlier, you have made an accurate observation,” Agu replied curtly.

The Long Neck nudged him sharply. “Please excuse him,” she said.

The old Long Neck chuckled again. “That’s alright. So back to my question. Is there anything I can help you kids with?” he offered.

“Yeah, we’re here to find The Sev-” Menta stepped on Agu’s foot, causing him to stop talking as he clenched his teeth.

“Yes, some help would be nice, sir,” Menta began. “Would you happen to know of a Long Neck named Littlefoot?” She had memorized the list of names that Dusk had given her, and had chosen a name at random to ask about. “You see, one of Littlefoot’s friends had told one of our friends about him, who in turn told us. I must say, he certainly sounds like someone we’d like to meet,” she said, being completely honest the whole time.

“Well now,” the old Long Neck replied with a big grin, “I think I can be of some help with that. I’m sure he’d love some new playmates too.”

“So you know him?” Menta asked.

“Why yes. Actually, I’m his grandfather,” he answered.

“Excellent,” she said, then closed her eyes and concentrated.

“I see,” she thought.

“Well, what would you like to know about him?” he asked them.

“Thank you for the offer, sir, but that is quite alright. Since you’re his grandfather, he must live here too. We explore a lot, so we’ll just look around until we find him. Thanks again!” she called, and then she turned and walked off with the others following.

“She certainly is polite,” Littlefoot’s grandfather thought to himself. “She should get to know old Mr. Three Horn’s daughter.” He chuckled to himself, and then went back to his eating.

“That was a waste of time,” Agu complained.

Menta sighed. “I have to admit, I was rather disappointed that his own grandfather doesn’t know where he is. It turns out that he just lets his grandson roam about without supervision. Still, it wasn’t a complete waste of time. At least I know what The Seven look like now.”

“I don’t get it. Why didn’t you just read his mind right away?” Agu asked.

“I didn’t want to waste any energy if he didn’t know anything about them. We’ll just have to span out and start looking. Gather around, everyone. This is what they look like,” she said, after projecting the old Long Neck’s mental image of the gang into their heads.

“Ooh, Chomper is a cutie,” Coaley pointed out.

“It would seem that the group I saw a while back is indeed them,” Ceit thought to himself.

“Alright guys, let’s head out. We’ll meet back at this waterfall in an hour, but feel free to contact me if any of you find them sooner,” Menta told the group, and they split up to find the gang.

“How much longer till we find Chomper?” Ruby asked.

“I don’t know,” came the reply.

“Don’t you know where he is?” Ruby questioned.

“In a way.”

“How do you intend to find him?” Littlefoot asked her.

“I don’t.” The gang members stopped and looked at each other. “Relax. My partner went to find him and is going to meet me at a certain place. Don’t stop now.” She suddenly heard some noise, and then glanced up. “I take that back. You can stop now.”

Now too far off in the distance, a familiar face was approaching. She waved him down, and he came over to the group and stopped, huffing loudly. He was clutching his left arm with his right, and she glared at him. “Well, where’s Chomper?” She seemed completely uninterested in his injury.

“Dusk,” was all he said in reply.

“Are you alright?” Littlefoot asked him. “What happened to your arm?”

“Don’t worry,” he replied. “I just- fell.”

“You good-for-nothing, totally idiotic, complete failure of a partner! How do you let one guy make the best of you? And now of all times!” the female exclaimed.

“Are you quite finished? I did my best and could have easily been killed, and all you can do is insult me?”

“Perhaps if you weren’t a fool, I wouldn’t have anything to insult you for!”

“Are they always like this when they’re together?” Ruby whispered to Littlefoot.

“I’m afraid so,” he replied. “I haven’t seen those two Rainbow Faces get along since I met them a while back, though I’ve never seen them this bad before.”

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The transforming aspect is interesting TFS, please continue!

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter V: Together Again

In which Dusk completes his task.

“They’re gone,” Chomper said, having reached the place where Dusk had fought that Rainbow Face. “Dusk? Hello? Is anybody around?” he called out. Then he quickly covered his mouth. “What if that weird guy hears me?” he thought. “I just hope Dusk is okay.”

A fair distance away, Dusk looked up to the sky and thought to himself, “I hope the kid’s alright.” He suddenly paused. “I wonder if…?” He suddenly turned around, and headed back the way he came at a brisk pace.

“Now what do I do?” Chomper wondered. “What if that guy comes back? I’d better get out of here. Err, but where am I?” His environment contained rocks, sinking sand, old logs, and a few bones scattered about. There were few trees, and the ground was rather hard. He didn’t recognize the place at all. “Oh no, I was too busy running from that guy to pay attention to where I was going.” Suddenly, he heard footsteps. “Oh no,” he thought. “That guy’s come back for me!” Looking around, he spotted a thick branch on the ground, picked it up, and hid behind a huge boulder.

The sound of the steps became louder, signifying that whoever it was, was coming closer. He tightened his grip on the stick and waited as the figure came closer and closer to where he was. His teeth began to chatter slightly, as he was very nervous. Then the figure walked right by where Chomper was standing. He raised the stick high and brought it down swiftly.

“Hey Chomp- ow!” Dusk yelled, clutching his head. “Ooh, that’s gonna leave a mark. I know Sharpteeth like to fight, but did you have to hit me so hard?” Chomper immediately dropped the stick.

“Oh I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to! I thought you were somebody else! Are you okay? Did I hurt you really badly?” Chomper asked in a frenzy.

Dusk let out a hearty laugh, much to Chomper’s surprise. “Relax, Chomper. I’ve got a hard head. I’m fine. It just stung a little. I was just kidding about it leaving a mark.”

“Oh, thank goodness!” he said, very relieved. “So what happened back there? Where’s that guy?”

“I got rid of him,” Dusk replied. “You can relax now.”

“Did you- eat him?”

“Nah. He got careless and had quite a fall so I just left. I wasn’t hungry.”

“Do you know why he was after me?” Chomper asked.

Dusk paused. He did know, but he also knew that this wasn’t the time to explain it. “When you left, he didn’t mention why he was chasing you.” And Dusk wasn’t lying.

“Wait, you can understood that guy? So you can understand leaf-eater?” Chomper asked in that language. Dusk and Chomper had only communicated through roaring since they had met, so he never thought that Dusk could do more.

Dusk roared “Yes” in reply.

“Ooh, say something in leaf-eater! I wanna hear how you sound when you aren’t roaring,” Chomper said.

Dusk paused. “I can understand what dinosaurs mean when they talk that way, but I don’t know how to talk that way myself.”

“Huh?”

“It’s complicated,” Dusk said. “I’ll explain it some other time though. I think you should come with me. Things have gotten dangerous, so you might want to put your family visit on hold. It’s all up to you though. What do you want to do?”

Chomper had only known Dusk a short time. Even so, he already looked up to him. He was kind and thoughtful, and he did save his life. Dusk had more than earned his trust.

“I’ll go,” he said.

Dusk raised a brow.

“Err, with you I mean,” Chomper clarified.

Dusk’s face brightened. “Alright then. Let’s go buddy.”

Chomper smiled at the sound of that nickname. The significance of the matter had finally sunk in. Finally, after all this time, he had managed to make friends- with a Sharptooth.

Agu and the Long Neck were the first to make it to the waterfall, and he looked extremely bored.

“Did you find anything?” she asked him.

He turned to her. “Look closely at my face. Now do I really need to answer that?”

“Good night, I was just asking!” she exclaimed.

Now Menta neared the waterfall. She didn’t even need to see their faces to know what was happening. “Those two again?” She sighed. “I’ll bet half of the valley can hear them.” Arriving, she said, “That’s enough you two.”

“He started it!” the Long Neck replied.

“I believe that you were the first one to speak,” Agu pointed out.

“But you were the one who was rude!”

“I said, that- is- enough,” Menta repeated. They both stopped immediately. They dared not say another word when she used that tone.

Ceit flew down from the sky and landed beside them. “We seem to have all arrived- except Coaley.”

“Aw, they’re all such cuties!” a glossy-black “Long Neck” exclaimed as she watched a group of young Swimmers playing together.

“Well thank you,” an older, female Swimmer told her after overhearing.

“Are all these yours?” Coaley asked.

“They sure are,” the mother answered proudly.

“Wow, you sure have a lot of kids.”

“Mm-hm. And two of them aren’t even here right now,” she added.

“An even bigger wow! That means you have even more than a lot of kids,” Coaley said, matter-of-factly.

“Uh, sure dear,” she replied.

“Coaley, where are you?” came a voice in her heard.

“Oh, I found the most adorable little Swimmers!” she answered aloud.

“Thank you,” their mother said, thinking that Coaley was talking to her.

“Coaley, will you please just think? It’s rather hard to hear you when you’re talking.”

“Oops,” she thought to herself. “I was just adoring these adorable Swimmers.”

“Uh, that’s really nice Coaley. But haven’t you been looking at the bright circle? It’s been an hour.”

“An hour?” she thought blankly.

“Yes, we were supposed to meet at the waterfall an hour after we split up. Don’t you remember?”

“I sure do, thanks to you!” Coaley thought appreciatively and she giggled at the rhyme she’d made. “I’ll be right over there.” Turning back to the Swimmer, she said, “It was nice meeting you. And don’t worry. I’d never eat anything that cute! Good-bye!” And with that, she walked off towards some bushes, while waving to a very confused-looking mother Swimmer.

She got behind the bushes and made sure that no one was watching. There was a small flash.

“Hey guys,” Coaley said to the others at the waterfall.

“You made us wait,” Agu complained.

“A few minutes isn’t going to kill you,” the Long Neck told him.

“It only takes a second to die,” he replied with a smirk.

Menta stepped between them to stop things from escalating. “So did anyone find something worthwhile?”

Coaley’s shot her arm up to be called on. “Ooh, ooh!” she exclaimed.

“Let me rephrase that. So did anybody find anything worthwhile besides some cute, little Swimmers?”

Coaley’s arm fell. “Never mind,” she said sadly.

Agu snickered. The Long Neck glared at him.

“From the air, I had a better chance of seeing them than you all, and I still came up with nothing. That, combined with the fact that you four spread out into different directions and saw neither heads nor tails of these children, causes me to believe that they are not presently in the Great Valley,” Ceit explained.

“What a genius conclusion,” Agu thought to himself. “A simple ëThey aren’t here’ would have done just fine.”

“I would think nicer thoughts if I were you,” Menta said sternly.

“Urk,” was all that came from his mouth.

Menta smiled. “And I didn’t even need to read your mind.”

“What!?”

“I could tell just by looking at you that you were in thought, and it seems that I made an accurate guess as to the type of content.”

Agu looked away as his face turned red.

“Back to business,” Menta said. “Seeing as they aren’t here, and knowing that they could be anywhere, we’d best find out what Dusk suggests we do.” Concentrating, she thought, “My lord, can you hear me?”

“Yes, Menta, very clearly.”

“I’m afraid I have ill news.”

“Think no more. That can only mean that you didn’t find them, and that’s alright. We have time, and I’ll think of something else. Do you have enough energy to track me?”

“I still have plenty, my lord.”

“Excellent. Unfortunately though, I have to keep moving. I do not want to make Chomper suspicious by asking him to stop, and who knows? Maybe I’ll bump into the others.”

“Understood, my lord. I have tracked moving targets before, and I’ll make sure we move briskly so we can catch up. Oh, and excellent work on the success of your part, my lord.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” she thought. Turning to the others, she said, “He has met up with Chomper, and we’re going to meet up with them.”

“What is their location?” Ceit asked.

“They’re on the move, so we’ll have to move faster than usual to catch up with them.” Menta closed her eyes and concentrated. “Let’s not waste on time. Come on!” Menta ordered as she turned to leave, and the others followed.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The plot is getting quite interesting, and the bit about the swimmers cracked me up!  :DD

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter VI: The Lost Finds

In which three groups become two.

“Please be quiet!” Ruby yelled at the top of her lungs. The Rainbow Faces stopped arguing and turned to her. “I don’t know if you find arguing helpful, but arguing won’t help us find Chomper. And will you please tell me what ëDusk’ means? That’s what you said,” as she turned to the male, “when you asked about Chomper,” she finished, turning to the female.

“Dusk is a Sharptooth,” the male told her.

Ruby gasped. “Did he hurt Chomper? Take him away? What happened?” she asked frantically.

“Dusk would not hurt Chomper,” the male said reassuringly, though he really didn't know for certain. “On the other hand, there is a chance he took him away.”

“What should we do?” Ruby asked the Rainbow Faces desperately.

They looked at each other and said nothing, having no answer at that time.

“So, where are we going?” Chomper asked Dusk.

“Hopefully, we’ll find your friends,” he replied.

“Gee, thanks. That’s really nice of you, but…”

“Hm?”

“Ruby doesn’t want me around, remember? I don’t want to live in the Great Valley if she doesn’t like it. Also, it wouldn’t be safe for you to come with me to them, because the grown-ups in the Great Valley don’t like Sharpteeth in general. They accepted me because I’m not very big and Littlefoot and his friends already knew me. I know you, but I’m not sure if they’d listen to me about one of my own kind.”

“Yes, they would mostly likely think you’re biased. And I don’t know this Ruby friend of yours to say one way or another, but you do have other friends there, remember? In any case, I do not believe that they are in the Great Valley.”

“Huh?”

“I think they left there to come looking for you.”

“You really think they did?”

“That’s just what friends do. So about finding them- I was thinking that we’d do so out here.”

“Dusk, can you hear me?”

“Yes, what is it, Menta?” Dusk thought.

“I checked your surrounding area, and there are eight dinosaurs just a short distance to the northeast of you.”

“Did you take a break from tracking me?” he asked.

“Oh no, my lord. We are still approaching you.”

“You fool! What have I told you about doing Mind Seek and Mind Scan at the same time!?” he thought in anger.

“I-I’m sorry, my lord. I just wanted to make sure you were safe.”

“While I appreciate that greatly, you know how bad it is for you to multitask that way. If you get hurt again on account of me…”

“Thank you for worrying about me so, but I feel fine. Besides, I don’t care what happens to me as long as I can keep you safe.”

“Menta…”

“Please don’t worry anymore. I stopped the scan the moment I told you of its results. We’ll see you soon.”

“Alright. Good-bye.”

“Dusk?” Chomper asked.

Dusk immediately came back to his senses and said, “Yes, Chomper? What is it?”

“Just seeing if you were okay. You seemed lost in thought.”

“What a perceptive child,” he thought. “Thank you for your concern, but I’m fine, really,” he told him.

“Well, okay,” Chomper replied, a bit unsure.

“We should change course a little.”

“What does that mean?” Chomper asked.

“Sorry. What I meant was, we should be going a different way now. I really don’t think there’s anybody over this way. We’ve gone pretty far. Let’s try looking elsewhere, okay?”

“Sure. Whatever you say,” Chomper agreed.

“What a nice kid,” Dusk thought to himself. With that, he turned and began walking northeast, Chomper at his heels.

Finally, the male Rainbow Face spoke. “We’re just going to have to start searching for him.” The female smacked his head. “Ow! What was that for!?” he demanded.

“For wasting time. ëWe’re just going to have to start searching for him?’ No duh!” she retorted.

“You’re wasting our time right now!” he argued.

“Guys, please!” Littlefoot exclaimed. “Look, he’s right. All we can do is keep looking for him. The sooner we start that and stop standing around here, the sooner we’ll find Chomper. We’ll never find him if we stay here.”

“I do not agree. No, no, no,” Ducky said. “Look!” And with that, she pointed into the distance.

The kids all smiled in relief. The Rainbow Faces tensed up.

Chomper was approaching, followed by a much bigger black Sharptooth.

“Dusk, look! We found them!” and Chomper raced over to his friends. Dusk, however, stopped moving.

The moment he had seen the kids, his heart sank. His mouth was slightly agape and his entire body trembled slightly. He could barely think straight. “Th-those children! They’re the ones who-”

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter VII: Planting the Seed

In which Dusk makes a tactical decision.

“Oh Chomper, I’m so glad we found you!” Ruby said, giving him a hug. “I was so worried about you.”

“But, you said you didn’t like me. That’s why I left,” he explained, still in her embrace.

“What? I never said that because I would never say that,” she replied, confused.

“You said that you wish you hadn’t agreed to look after me. I heard you.”

Ruby paused to recall, and then laughed, much to Chomper’s surprise. “You heard what I said, but you didn’t hear everything I said. Afterwards, I said that I didn’t like agreeing to that because you deserve the best care, and I don’t think I can give you the best. You should have asked me about this before running away.”

Chomper hugged her all the more tightly. “I’m so sorry Ruby. And you’re wrong.”

“Huh?”

“You’ve given me only the best, and I thank you so much.”

“Me hate to break up touching moment, but who that?” Petrie asked Chomper fearfully, motioning toward Dusk.

“Don’t be afraid, Petrie. He’s my new friend Dusk. He wouldn’t hurt us.”

“Don’t believe I word he’s told you!” the female Rainbow Face exclaimed.

Chomper turned, finally noticing the Rainbow Faces. “You!” he exclaimed, pointing at the male.

“Relax. I told you before that I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Yeah, you wouldn’t dare with Dusk here!”

The male sighed.

Dusk had snapped out of it, and came over to the group. “Is there a problem?” he roared gently to Chomper.

“I’m okay, thanks,” he replied.

“Hey!” Littlefoot exclaimed to Dusk. “I understood you, but you spoke Sharpooth. How is that possible?”

“Like the two of us, he is free from the communication barrier,” the male Rainbow Face explained.

“What does that mean?” Ruby asked.

“I’ll explain that another time,” he replied. Turning to Dusk, he asked, “So how do you intend to recruit them? Are you going to take them by force?”

Dusk looked confused. “I beg your pardon?”

“Don’t give us that! You want them as badly as we do,” the female insisted.

Dusk turned his head and said nothing.

“See? You won’t even deny it!” she continued.

“It’s not that,” Dusk told her while sniffing the air. “We’re being watched.”

“One of your tricks, no less,” she said.

Dusk sighed and rolled his eyes. He stooped down, picked up a small stone, and tossed it into a nearby bush.

“Ow!” came a cry. The voice was undeniable.

“Cera?” Littlefoot asked.

She came out from behind the bush with a mix of anger and embarrassment, and she was rubbing her face with her front foot.

“Were you spying on us?” he continued.

As an indirect answer to his question, she turned to the female Rainbow Face and asked, “So how do you like it?”

“I really don’t care,” she replied dully.

“Rrrgh.”

“I want to ask something,” Littlefoot began. “What do you three want us for?”

“Do you need help with something?” Ducky asked.

“You could say that,” the female replied.

“Will you all quit being so mysterious!?” Cera demanded. “It’s getting really annoying. What exactly is going on here?”

“This world is in danger. We need you kids’ help to save it,” the male Rainbow Face said.

“Very funny,” Cera said. “What do you really want?”

The male leaned closer to the female. “I told you that this wouldn’t be easy.”

Cera scoffed. “Even if there was trouble, what could we kids do about it?” Looking at Dusk, she asked, “And what’s your story?”

Dusk’s eyes narrowed, but it was too slight for anyone to notice. “Those two speak the truth,” was his reply.

The Rainbow Faces were dumbfounded. “What is he up to?” the male thought to himself.

“Trouble is indeed brewing. You all, of course, have the choice to help or not. I’m certainly not going to force you to. Still, if you kids are willing help out, I must admit that I would certainly appreciate your help.”

“So that’s it,” the male thought. “That’s enough of your mind games, Dusk!”

Dusk raised a brow.

“Stop acting like you only want what they do! Your shrewd tongue may fool them, but not us!” the male shouted. “You are going to do whatever it takes to walk away with this children alongside you.”

Dusk lowered his head. “I have voiced my feelings on this matter. The time for discussion- has now reached its end.”

Both of the Rainbow Faces tensed their bodies. They were going to fend off Dusk at all costs.

“Well kids, you just do what you think is right.“ And with that, Dusk turned around and began to walk away.

“Where are you going!?” the male Rainbow Face called. He and the female were certain that Dusk was going to attack.

“As I said,” Dusk began as he continued moving, “I’ve already voiced my feelings. The choice of what to do from here is up to them.”

“Dusk, wait!” Chomper called. “I don’t want you to go!”

Dusk turned his head and said, “Don’t worry, Chomper. We will meet again.” And with that, Dusk soon vanished from their sight.

“There,” he thought. “The seed of trust has been planted, and it will grow.”

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Another good chapter TFS!

I'm wondering, since the story you said will have Final Fantasy elements, will FF terms show up in the story? (Ex: limit break, ara and aga spells...)

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm wondering, since the story you said will have Final Fantasy elements, will FF terms show up in the story? (Ex: limit break, ara and aga spells...)

Originally, my story did, yes. All the powers the characters got were literally copied from Final Fantasy. Dusk was a Dark Knight, Ducky was a White Mage, Agu was a Summoner, Petrie a Geomancer, and so forth. While doing that, the story started to become so much like an RPG that it didn't feel much like a story. It was more like people were watching someone play a game. In the end, I really didn't like the way it sounded. Here is an excerpt from a deleted scene:

Battle Start

An axe head fastened itself onto Cera’s horn, jutting out several inches with a spike on the end. Cera charged the creature, ramming it with axe head then slashing back and forth. Each attack caused the creature to flash.

“Notice how the Ice Flan is not taking visible damage. Each of Cera’s strikes are depleting its health points. It is defeated when all of its health points are gone, though the same applies to all of you as well. Get ready Cera, it’s about to strike back,” Rey cautioned.

The Ice Flan shook slightly and opened its mouth wider. A wad of slime hit Cera in the face, dimming her coloration.

“Ew, gross!” she exclaimed.

“Don’t stop attacking! Keep it up!” Reina shouted.

Cera continued slashing away, but she wasn’t moving as quickly as before. The Ice Flan whacked her a couple times as well, and she too would flash.

“Everyone see how Cera is moving now?” Rey asked the other. “That slime she was hit with is an ability called ëAcid.’ It can cause a number of debuffs, and Cera is now inflicted with Slow, reducing her movement speed.”

“How do I go back to normal and why can’t a beat this thing?” Cera called out.

“Two very good questions,” Rey continued. “Time for lesson two and three- defensive magic, and offensive magic. Ducky and Petrie, please join Cera.”

They both went over to her, each at a different side. A small, white staff with a yellow orb at the end came to Ducky’s right hand, and a gray pole a bit longer came to Petrie’s.

“Now Ducky, cast Esuna on Cera, and Petrie, cast Shining Flare on that Ice Flan,” Rey told them.

Ducky raised her staff into the air.

~Esuna~

There were sparkles of light around Cera and her colors and movements went back to normal. “Why can’t I beat this things!?” she called out angrily.

“Flans have extremely high defense; normal attacks do very little to them,” Rey told her.

“Then why did you ask me to attack it?” she shouted, all the more angry.

“Because they are very weak, therefore good for a training battle,” he continued. “However, they have very low resistance to magic, and ice ones are especially weak to fire magic. The weather is clear; Petrie, cast Shining Flare on that Flan!”

Petrie flew up and raised his pole.

~Shining Flare~

A small ball of flames materialized above the Ice Flan and descended upon it, causing it to flash then vanish.

Battle End

Cera gained a level!
Ducky gained a level!
Petrie gained a level!

As you can see, it didn't flow like a story very well. It was like reading a player's guide to a game or something. In the end, I removed most of the Final Fantasy elements. Now, the characters' abilities are for the most part just roughly based off of Final Fantasy, though I did keep the color changes that are traditional when changing your class in Final Fantasy games. Instead of using MP, a lot of spells in my story have a cool down, like you see in World of Warcraft.

So in short, all that's really from Final Fantasy now is some basic class aspects and new colors. Dusk was going to originally be the Dark Knight class from FFX2, but instead ended up with just a couple shadow based abilities. I removed the RPG elements like experience points and gaining levels as well. I took Final Fantasy aspects and tweeked them, so you won't really find much of anything directly implimented from the Final Fantasy universe now.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Gotcha, I understand.

But I have to say, the deleted scene was quite interesting.  :)

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter VIII: Conversation’s End

In which the gang reaches a decision.

Dusk sighed. “I’ve been sitting in the same place a long time. Why is she taking so long to find me?” he thought. “Hmmm.” He suddenly had a thought.

Dusk pointed his hand upward, and a large cloud overhead slowly began descending to his location. He continued to wait where he was, and after a few minutes, Ceit landed in front of him.

“Ma lord,” he said with a bow.

“Don’t worry about pleasantries. Just guide me to the others. I suppose Menta ran out of energy?”

“Err…” he trailed off.

“Ceit? Is, something wrong?”

“I will guide you to the others right away, ma lord,” and with that, he started to take flight. However, Dusk jumped up and grabbed his foot, preventing him from leaving.

“I asked you, is something wrong? Is Menta alright? Answer me!”

“Well ma lord, you see, uh, what happened was-” he was cut off by the deathly glare in Dusk’s eyes. “She lost consciousness,” he said straight out.

“Were you guys attacked?” he asked in a chillingly-cold voice while keeping his hold on Ceit.

“N-no, she passed out from the strain of using two powers at the same-”

Dusk let go of Ceit while his eyes blazed like a raging fire. The roar that followed from his throat shook the nearby trees and caused a small tremor. “Go,” he said in a deathly tone. “And you’d best fly quickly.”

“Y-yes, ma lord,” and Ceit quickly took to the skies, then set a pace to allow Dusk to keep up.

“So let me get this straight,” Cera began. “There is a rock from where you guys live and someone is trying to steal it and you believe the seven of us are the only ones who can stop this guy?”

“Yeah, that uh, that pretty much sums it up,” the male answered.

“I don’t know if we can, but what makes you think we can?” Ruby asked.

“Well now, that would be telling, wouldn’t it?” the female responded.

“If you two need help, we have the right to know why you chose us first,” Littlefoot declared. “Why not ask grow-ups? The can do a lot of things we can’t.”

The female let out a sigh. “This conversation is getting tedious.” She looked at Littlefoot and said, “You saw when that herd of Yellow Bellies needed help, and you did not hesitate to do what you could, not knowing what would be in store for you along the way. You listened to wisdoms, and trusted your instincts. You just couldn’t stand to see those in need and do nothing about it. Have you changed since then?”

“How did you know about-?”

“Well have you?” she interrupted him.

“No, I haven’t.” He paused, and there was a brief silence throughout the whole group. Finally, he said, “I’ll go with you. Tell me what I can do to help.”

“I’m afraid you can’t help,” the female told him.

“But you just said-”

“I said we need the help of all seven of you. Come alone, and you will be of no benefit.”

Littlefoot turned to his friends. “Well, guys?”

Two Sharpteeth and a Long Neck sat together, their backs to a rock. One of the Sharpteeth was leaning against it, unconscious.

“I think I like her better when she’s quiet,” Agu said.

“That’s funny,” the Long Neck replied, “Because I was just thinking the same about you.”

“Nice come-back, but it doesn’t work since I’m not a ëher.’”

“You aren’t?”

“You’re asking for it!”

Ceit landed beside them as Dusk ran up to Menta. He knelt beside her with a look of utmost concern, as her breathing was irregular.

“Did any of you know she was multitasking with her powers?” he asked quietly, though his tone did not hide his rage.

The other three looked at each other.

Flash Back

“Slow down,” Menta told the others.

“What for?” Agu asked.

“I’m going to make sure Dusk’s location is safe for him, and the slower we go, the better I can do it.”

“You aren’t attempting to multitask with your powers, are you?” Ceit asked. “Doing so causes a tremendous strain. Don’t you remember what happened last time?”

“As long as Dusk is safe, nothing else matters.”

“You do realize what Dusk might do to us if we let you do this again,” Ceit warned.

“If you all tell him you knew nothing of this, I will backup your words. Now please, no more talking. I need to concentrate.”

End of Flash Back

“We had no idea she was attempting such a thing, ma lord. Had I but known, I would not have allowed it,” Ceit told Dusk.

Agu said, “Yeah,” and the Long Neck said, “It’s true,” at the same time. Dusk looked at them suspiciously, but knew he could just ask Menta about it when she came to.

“I think we should all help out with this. But, I’m not so sure we should be going with them,” Chomper stated, looking in the direction of the Rainbow Faces as he finished speaking.

“What do you mean, Chomper?” Littlefoot asked. “Who else is there to- Wait, you want to go with Dusk!?”

“Well, yeah. These guys keep asking us to go with them and do what they want. Dusk only wants what we do. I trust him a lot more than these two.”

“This has to be the longest conversation I have ever had, and I’m completely sick of it. It’s time for action. You want to go with Dusk? Go right ahead. But Dusk is gone for now. If you want to meet up with him again, you’ll have to come with us first. End of story. No more talking. My ears are about to fall off. You have ten seconds to answer before we leave. You guys coming or aren’t you?” the female asked in exasperation and impatience.

The gang looked at each other, Spike let out a tired moan, and Littlefoot started to speak.

“Ten.”

“We should tell our-”

“Nine.”

“They’ll worry if-”

“Eight.”

“How far is-?”

“Seven.”

“Alright we’re going!” Cera yelled.

“Good,” she answered. “Let’s go then.”

“But like I was trying to say, we should tell our folks. If it’s really far, we’d be gone a while and they’d worry,” Littlefoot finally managed to say.

“Don’t worry,” the male Rainbow face said. “You’ve left the valley many times without telling them. They should be used to it by now”

“I guess,” Littlefoot replied.

“And,” the male continued, “since we’ll be a group, best to stop using pronouns to refer to us.”

“Using what?” Littlefoot asked.

“Never mind. My name is Rey; hers is Reina. Use them,” the male Rainbow Face instructed. “So, are we all ready to go?”

“Yes,” Littlefoot answered.

“Good,” he said. “Now everyone gather around.”

The gang couldn’t imagine what for and glanced at each other, but got closer to them as told. Rey went around, putting his hand on each of their heads momentarily.

At that moment, both the Rainbow Faces and the gang, were no longer there.

Dusk’s ears perked up. He looked down at the still-unconscious, white Sharptooth. Looking up, he told the others, “We’ll let her rest back at the mountain. There is nothing more to do here.”

“Left with those two, did they?” Ceit inquired.

“They did,” he answered. “The sound of their power is unmistakable, and I donët believe theyëd go without them.” He turned to the youngest member. “Coaley?”

“Awww. Already?” she whined. Dusk nodded. She hung her head in disappointment.

The Long Neck walked over to her. “Don’t be sad. You can come back and see those Swimmers again when the mission is over, ëkay?”

“Yes!” she exclaimed with much enthusiasm as her face brightened.

Ceit’s eyes narrowed as he focused and the altered group members suddenly looked like Sharpteeth again.

“Here we go, guys!” Coaley shouted. And in flash, they were gone.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter IX: The Thief and the Stone

In which the past comes to light.

Nine dinosaurs appeared atop a tall mountain.

“Wh-what’s going on?” Cera stammered. “How did we get up here?”

“You worry too much about the how’s and why’s when what’s done is done. We are here, so let’s discuss our situation and move forward,” Reina told them.

“Hmph! Do you know anything but rudeness?” Cera demanded.

“Living with that father of yours, you should be quite used to it,” Reina replied.

“Ooh!” Cera squealed before starting to charge, but Littlefoot stepped in front of her.

“Okay, we’re here,” Littlefoot said, “So please tell us what we need to do to help.”

Rey cleared his throat. “This is about the Stone of Cold Fire.”

“Huh?” Petrie interrupted. “Me thought that all made up.”

“Oh yes. When Pterano tried using it, it did not work for him, nope nope nope,” Ducky added.

“The reason it did not work for him, is because that was not the stone. It was just a rock I had sent to this planet to help me find the real thing,” Rey explained.

“What do you mean, ëthis planet,’ and how could you send a flying rock?” Littlefoot asked.

“It’s a long story. I will start at the beginning. Everyone should take a seat,” Rey instructed.

“How can we take anything when there’s nothing here to take?” Ruby asked.

“He meant ësit down’. I don’t see how the creatures of this planet survived as long as it has with such limited intelligence.”

“Hey!” Cera shouted.

Rey sighed, then sat down to set an example for the group. Littlefoot followed suit, then the rest of them sat down together.

“My kind lives peacefully on another world. This planet you call home is not the only one with life. Someone found a strange stone, and after picking it up, received great power. He shared it with many others, giving anyone a gift as well. Eventually, some of our wisest researchers learned how to adjust the stone’s energy output to various ends, one being to have its energy flow so folks didn’t have to touch it to receive it’s power. We thrived using the energy of the stone, as it gave us all great power, the ability to do things your kind can only dream of. The stone’s power was used equally for us all, until one day, a rather selfish ëRainbow Face’ (as you call us) decided to flee with the stone to this world. We believe he wanted to wait until the rest of us ran out of power then return to take over.”

“Unh, ugh,” Menta moaned, as she slowly opened her eyes. A wet leaf covered her forehead, and she was sprawled out on a nest of dry ones. Though her head still throbbed slightly, she was more concerned about Dusk’s reaction.

“Um,” a voice said. Menta jumped slightly, and the voice continued, “Sorry Menta, it’s just me,” the Long Neck told her. “Dusk asked me to keep an eye on you and tell him when you awoke, but uh, I can wait a while if you’d like.”

Menta smiled. “Thank you. Though I typically like to get things over with, I would like more time to collect myself before the lecture of my life.”

The Long Neck chuckled slightly. “I understand. Are you alright though?”

“I’m fine, really. If I wasn’t already tired from the journey, I wouldn’t have ended up like this. Nothing happened to Dusk, right?”

“Perfectly safe.”

“And that’s all that matters.”

“Alright, you just get some more rest and I’ll stay here to if you need anything. Besides, Dusk will figure out you’re awake when I leave.”

“Oh, I think I’ll figure it out before that,” Dusk said, standing right behind the Long Neck.

“One day, he came into the stone’s holding area and stole it. He chose his timing well. Some of our kind had been working on a method to visit other worlds. It was a very complicated procedure, but an opening was created in the end. Though it was believed that it would take anyone to another world inhabited with life, it wasn’t certain just where this world would be. The thief grabbed the stone and ran through the opening, and ended up in this world. It wasn’t hard to figure out what happened with several bits of evidence that was collected, and some of us went through as well to catch him and get the stone back.”

“So there’s a whole other world out there filled with dinosaurs just like us?” Chomper asked.

“Not quite,” Rey answered. “We have no diversity. Using your reference of us, there are only ëRainbow Faces’ where we come from. This world has a few of them here and there, but they are originally from our world. This one had none before some of our inhabitants decided that they wanted to observe the dinosaurs of elsewhere. Anyway, some of us came here to find the thief and the item he stole, and find him we did. He was cautious, believing we might come after him, so he hid the stone.

A group of three went to bring them back. It took a while, but they finally tracked him down. He kept on the move, but justice cannot be escaped from. When they found him, he was already being attacked by others. A giant of a beast along with his two followers. The power that the stone granted him allowed him to wield fire, and he fought hard. He slashed the giant with a blazing whip, burning his flesh from his eye all the way down his arm. Unfortunately, that only enraged the giant further, and thief was caught then devoured. The ones we had sent waited too long to intervene, and as a result, we had no easy way to find where the stone hidden.”

“A burn from his eye down his arm?” Ruby pondered. “Could he be talking about-?”

“We brought them back, and eventually created a way to find the stone’s general location. We infused a large rock with some of the stone’s power that was left in our world, and sent it hurdling through space. We had reason to believe the empowered stone would move toward the source of its energy, like an attraction. With the speed it flew at, we theorized it wouldn’t be able turn enough to land at the Stone of Cold Fire’s exact location, but its general area. It landed on this mountain.”

“Wait,” Littlefoot interrupted. “That stone that Pterano chased after and we all found- was that the stone you all sent?”

“I say again, you have a sharp mind, Littlefoot,” Rey told him. “What we said to the adults of the valley was true. However, we chose our wording carefully, making them think we referring to the rock you saw fall. We said, ëWhat if this was no ordinary flying rock?’ What if it was, for example, a Stone of Cold Fire?’. We never said we actually thought that rock was one. ëWhat if’s’ can be applied to anything. If I said, ëWhat if it rains today?’ that doesn’t mean I actually thought it would.”

“If I had to guess, I’d guess this happened before Chomper and I moved here?” Ruby asked.

“Yes,” Littlefoot replied. “I can tell you all about it later.”

“Okay, thank you.”

“As I was saying,” Rey continued, “We told everyone about the real stone’s power in hopes of getting help in our search. We thought that, maybe, if some went looking for the rock Littlefoot had seen, they would find the real one. We thought it was a stroke of luck that Littlefoot had seen it and told the others, but the actual stone was never discovered. When all had been said and done, it was time Reina and I reported back, so we returned to our world. We’ve made many trips to continue our search, but they were to no avail.”

“Perhaps if you didn’t keep insisting on seeing what these children were up to,” Reina added a sigh.

“You’d been spying on us?” Cera asked angrily.

“Observing, is the term I’d prefer. You kids, especially Littlefoot, have shown a broader mindset than any others we’ve come to see on this planet, so I’ve developed an interest in your activities and adventures.”

Be it spying or “observing,” all the children felt a bit uncomfortable that they had been watched on many occasions, and they shifted around uneasily.

Finally, Chomper broke the silence. “So, I’m guessing you want our help finding the stone?”

“You are correct,” Rey told him.

“The magic left in our world is dwindling. We have come to rely so heavily on it, if it leaves completely, things will not go well.”

“Hey, I thought you said it was our world that was in danger,” Cera pointed out. “Or did you just say that so we’d help?”

“Many, many years ago, a ëRainbow Face’ had a vision that a world would be in peril- yours. A group of dinosaurs of this world would gain control of the stone and attempt to use it. The stone has the ability to grant one wish, though while the details aren’t important, it isn’t easy to do. He foresaw that without the aid of a group of seven dinosaurs, each different and living in one place, a wish will be granted that would mean trouble for this world. His dream was passed down over the generations, and I believe those seven our the children who stand before us.”

The children grew silent at the dire prospect Rey was presenting. Finally, Cera spoke up.

“Even if we are, you make it sound like some big adventure, but all we have to do is find the stone, right? It may take a while, but it doesn’t sound very difficult.”

“Oh, but it is. You see, there are others seeking the stone,” Rey explained.

“You mean uncle Pterano still looking?” Petrie asked.

“No. We’ve kept an eye on him here and there, and he truly believes the stone does not exist. The group seeking the stone is lead by someone you’ve all met- the Sharptooth called Dusk.”

Chomper gasped.