The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time: Dawn of the Seven Heroes

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter XXIII: The Day Rocks and a Log Flew

In which many things make their way into the Great Valley.

Dusk’s body lied motionless on the ground. Menta was wailing uncontrollably with no end in sight. After a while, she started sniffing involuntarily and began wiping her eyes. She donned a very serious expression and walked over to the edge of a cliff. She turned back with one last sorrowful look at Dusk’s corpse- then jumped off to her death. Dusk sat up with a start. He began panting and quickly looked to where Menta was sleeping.

“Just-  just a dream,” he whispered to himself. He got up and went over to a watering hole; he felt so hot. The noise woke Tria who silently got up and followed him. As Dusk was bending over for a drink, he noticed her reflection in the water.

“Sorry if I woke you,” he told her.

“It’s no trouble at all,” she replied, then continued, “Have a bad dream?”

“Yes…” he said quietly.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Dusk remained silent.

“Is it about your parents? Lots of dinosaurs have nightmares about lost loved ones.”

“No, it wasn’t about my parents, but it did show someone I care about die.”

“You’ve lost someone besides your parents?”

“No,” was all he said in reply.

“Are you worried that someone may die soon?” she asked gently.

Dusk twitched. “She is so intuitive,” he thought to himself. “I had a dream that I died, and then someone close to me killed herself from grief.”

“You’re worried that you’ll die soon? You’re so young; you have your whole life ahead of you.”

Tria was so caring, it almost made Dusk want to tell her the whole story, but he wisely refrained.

“Let’s just say, I live life dangerously. I guess that’s hard to imagine with someone so young.”

“You’d be surprised how well I understand that,” she replied. “I have a stepdaughter who ends up in one adventure after the other. I worry often, but I’ve learned to trust her. In fact, she’s off somewhere right now. I would look for her, but neither Topsy nor myself knows where she went, so all we can do is have faith.”

“So she left the valley all by herself? The outside is very dangerous.”

“No, she has several friends with her. The other families reported their kids missing too, so we know they’re traveling as a group. And yes, it is dangerous, but there is nothing we can do.”

Dusk’s eyes narrowed. “Other Three Horns?” he asked her.

“You’d think that, but Cera actually spends her times with an entire assortment of kinds: a Long Neck, Swimmer, even a Sharptooth.”

“What a small world this is,” Dusk thought to himself. “I meet two of their families in one day.” He wanted to reassure her, so he said, “I saw your daughter on the way over here.”

Tria’s eyes widened. “You did? Where?”

“They went to see Chomper’s parents. I happened to be in that area myself.”

“Phew, that’s a relief. Cera had told me how nice they are. Now I understand why she didn’t say anything.” Dusk raised a brow. “Topsy never would have allowed her to visit a family of Sharpteeth,” she said with a laugh. “He’s old fashioned, but I love him.”

“I’d best get back to sleep,” Dusk said with a yawn. “Nice talking to you.”

“You too. And if you ever need to talk about something, I’m all ears, okay?” She nuzzled her face gently against his, and he pressed back with a smile. The two dinosaurs then went back to the others, curled up, and slept till daylight.

Cera was the first to wake up, and upon opening her eyes, she was greeted by a giant, wide-open Sharptooth mouth. She screamed, and others quickly stirred.

“What is it, Cera?” Littlefoot asked her right away.

Cera, who had finally remembered that she was sleeping with Chomper’s parents, lied in embarrassment, “Nothing, just had a bad sleep story.”

“Ooh, what it about?” Petrie asked, insensitively.

“None of your business. Hmph!”

“Uh, sorry?”

“Alright, now that we’re up, I suggest we get some food then plan out what we’re going to do next,” Littlefoot instructed.

“Hey Chomper, would you like me to rustle up some food for you?” his father asked him.

“Sur- uh, I think I’m good,” he replied, nudging his head in his friends’ direction.

“Oh, right,” he said quietly.

“You can come with us, buddy,” Littlefoot told him. “I’m sure we’ll find some bugs on the way.”

Chomper licked his lips and followed his friends to a very fertile part of the island.

“You sure learned this place fast,” Chomper had to say.

“Actually, I just remember this spot from when we walked to your parents’ nesting area last night. A place this big would take a while for me to memorize,” Littlefoot explained.

“Oh, right,” Chomper said, slightly embarrassed.

In a few minutes, all of the children had found food and were happily munching away. Soon, a buzzing sound caught Chomper’s attention. Chomper ran towards it, and his friends looked up at him with little interest. In less than minute however, they would be very interested…

Chomper burst through the trees, shouting, “Run!” His friends looked up again to see him being chased by a swarm of buzzing buzzers.

“You just had to go and disturb their nest, didn’t you?” Cera asked, greatly annoyed.

“Wait, we don’t need to run,” Littlefoot suddenly thought to himself. Stopping and turning, he said, “Light, shine within my heart!” There was a brief flash, and Littlefoot’s skin shone brightly. “Intervention!” he shouted, and the group was surrounded by a barrier of light. The insects swarmed them, stinging at the protective wall, but could not get through. However, against what Littlefoot was expecting, they did not back off, but continued their barrage.

“This does not bode well,” Littlefoot said worriedly. “When the time cometh that my shield fails, they’ll be upon us before the cool down draws nigh.”

“No problem,” Cera said casually. “Petrie can just blow them away.” Petrie said nothing, so she looked up at him, only to find him looking very ill. “Petrie?”

“Ugh, me no feel so good, ugh,” he moaned, clutching his stomach. He then proceeded to throw up.

“Gross!” Cera exclaimed at the same time Ducky said, “Ew!”

Littlefoot’s shield dissipated, but Ruby yelled “Intervention!” just in time to keep them out a little longer. “Whoa, this power takes so much energy. I can’t hold it up for very long.”

Littlefoot suddenly had a plan. “Keep thy hold but a moment longer, then release when giveth the word I do,” he instructed. Ruby struggled, but managed to do so. “Now!” Ruby quickly relaxed and the barrier fell, then Littlefoot shouted, “Cleansing Wave!” A wall of light shot out from his body, passing through the buzzing buzzers. The wall turned red then vanished. The insects stayed no longer and quickly turned back the way they came.

“Wow, what did you do, Littlefoot?” Ducky asked him curiously.

“I cleansed them of their negative emotion. Their rage was captured in my wall,” he explained.

Another groan from Petrie had his friends remembering that he isn’t feeling well. Littlefoot gazed at him, and announced, “He seems to have dined on inedible berries.”

“Can’t you just make another wall and cleanse away his sickness?” Cera asked.

“Nay,” he replied. “Emotions and illnesses are of different planes. A sickness is tangible; an emotion is not. This will take a bit more work. Friend, lead on to the food of thine illness.”

Petrie felt too sick to move, so he rested on Littlefoot’s head and pointed to guide them. They soon arrived in front of a berry bush.

“There,” was all he managed to say. Littlefoot craned his neck forward and grabbed a berry into his mouth.

“Littlefoot, what are you doing!?” Ducky asked in surprise.

“Are you trying to get sick too?” Cera wondered aloud.

Littlefoot moved the berry around in his mouth, then set it down on a leaf that was lying on the ground. “Friend,” he said to Petrie, “Eat that berry and you’ll become whole once more.”

“I don’t think you’re crazy, but isn’t that a little crazy?” Ruby asked him.

“And gross,” Chomper couldn’t help but say.

“Your concerns are understandable,” he replied, “But you need worry not. By placing that berry inside me, I have purified it. It will now work in the very opposite fashion of before. That kind of meal made him ill, and now, it shall renew him.”

Petrie wished Littlefoot hadn’t had to put it in his mouth, but he’d do almost anything to get rid of the intense pain he had in his stomach. He picked it up, chewed it slowly, then swallowed. The result was like an explosion. One moment he felt terrible, and the next, he felt great. He flew into the air, doing loops to express his joy.

“Release!” Littlefoot shouted, and his body returned to normal. “It looks like we got away from those buzzing buzzers,” he remarked.

“Thank you for helping me,” Petrie told him, neglecting the fact that Littlefoot remembers nothing when he transforms.

“Uh, anytime,” he replied, wondering what he did. Focusing on the task at hand, he turned to Cera and asked, “Would you please see if Dusk is anywhere near plants?”

“Fine,” she replied. In a few seconds, her eyes widened and she turned  a slight shade of pale.

“What is it?” he asked her quickly.

“They’re- they’re- home. Dusk and his group are in the Great Valley.”

The children were terrified. Dusk may be causing trouble, even hurting their families, was what was on their minds.

“We have to get back, now!” Littlefoot exclaimed.

“But how?” Ruby wondered. “We don’t have the Rainbow Faces to transport us.”

Littlefoot looked around him in a panic. He then spotted a large log, and his brain kicked into action. “We can ride that log home,” he told them.

“Are you feeling sick too?” Cera asked him. “There isn’t a water path to the Great Valley.”

“Who said anything about a water path? Petrie, with your wind power, do you think you hold that log into the air and move it with us on it?”

“Me think so.”

“You’re a genius, a genius you are,” Ruby told him, amazed at his idea.

“Aw, it isn’t that amazing,” he said, turning a slight shade of red.

The kids climbed aboard the log, and Petrie tensed, and the trees around them starting shaking. The log suddenly lifted into the air, and the kids had to hang on tight to avoid falling off. With a slight lurch, the log began moving towards the Great Valley, and to Dusk.

The bright circle shined down on the faces of the Great Valley residents. However, something was not right. Sudden, brief instances of shade caused Dusk to wake up suddenly. Not only was he a light sleeper, but he was very familiar with what was happening.

“Wake up!” he shouted. The others drowsily opened their eyes.

“What is it?” Mr. Three Horn asked gruffly.

“Flying rocks!” he yelled. “We need to get out of the open, now!” The others’ eyes opened abruptly, and they got up, scrambling to avoid the showering of rocks from the sky. Mr. Three Horn snatched Tricia up in his mouth and they all started moving towards a cave. Dusk and his companions didn’t know the area, but Mr. Three Horn led and they all followed.

Flying rocks fell from all around them, knocking down trees and creating huge splashes from watering holes. The Three Horn family was not used to waking up after a night’s sleep and running head on. Mr. Three Horn was tough and he did fine, but Tria developed a cramp in her back leg and started to lag behind. The shadow of a flying rock appeared nearby, and its owner began to draw near. At the rate they all were moving, it would have missed them. However, Tria’s leg cramp finally got the better of her, and she tripped and fell.

Dusk heard the “Oomph” from behind him and turned in horror. A flying rock was about to crush her. Mr. Three Horn also turned, exclaiming, “No!” Dusk panicked and suddenly didn’t care if he was revealed. He quickly glanced down to the shadow moving beside her, held out his arm, and shouted, “Shadow Pull!” The rock suddenly shifted from its course and slammed down to the location its shadow was. Tria quickly got to her feet, and they all continued running until they arrived at the mouth of cave, immediately entering.

The whole group continued panting for a while but finally settled down. Dusk cringed, expecting one of the Three Horns to ask how he did that. Mr. Three Horn did speak, but his comment made Dusk raise a brow.

“Thank you for warning us, kid.” He said nothing about the flying rock suddenly changing course after Dusk moved his arm and shouted. Ceit looked at Dusk as if he wanted to say something. Dusk tipped his head towards farther into the cave and the two of them ventured in for a talk.

“Did you wish to tell me something, Ceit?” Dusk asked.

“In case you were worried, no one saw what you did and said but me.”

“How…?”

“I saw what you were getting ready to do, so I made it sound you said ëOh no!’ and made it look like your arms were kept to their sides. It merely seemed like you were worried; your power was not noticed.”

“I love you.”

Ceit looked shocked. “M- ma lord?”

Dusk let out a heart laugh. “Just a slight exaggeration of how much I appreciate that.”

“Ah, heh heh.”

They both returned to the others, just as Mr. Three Horn was saying, “Mighty strange if you ask me, the way that flying rock suddenly moved in a different direction.”

“Oh Topsy, it doesn’t matter. Let’s just be thankful,” and the two of them nuzzled.

“Well, we’re going for a walk. It’s been an exciting day and a little stroll will do us good,“ Dusk announced.

“Okay, have fun you kids. You’re welcome to stay with us longer if you decide to,“ Tria told them. As Dusk and his companions moved on, Tria turned to Topsy. “I don’t like those kids being on their own like that, They’re too young. Do you think, maybe…”

“Absolutely not! We have two of our own kids to worry about. Still, we may be able to find a family here in the valley that would take them in.”

“Good idea. I’ll start asking around.”

“Alright.”

Dusk and his group roamed the Great Valley at a leisurely pace then decided to sit down and relax for a while. He didn’t realize it then, but it was very fortunate he had them take a breather at that time. Not far, a flying log was making its way into the valley…

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
So as promised, heres my review. I liked this chapter alot. You're very good at doing fantasy. I just never expected a fantasy LBT fanfiction...and I guess as well as many other people.

So excellent work. And excellent fantasy writing. I'm sure it takes alot of energy to write as such. And you have amazing titles as well.

Keep up the good work! :DD
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile

http://s7.zetaboards.com/thegangoffive/msg/?c=2&mid=285419'>http://z5.ifrm.com/static/1/p_offpm.png' alt='PM Offline Member' />
                  http://s7.zetaboards.com/thegangoffive/profile/285419/'>http://z5.ifrm.com/static/1/p_profile.png' alt='Profile' />

http://z5.ifrm.com/static/1/p_edit.png' alt='Edit Post' /> http://s7.zetaboards.com/thegangoffive/mod/?c=24&f=63439&t=1160758&p=337986&pg=1' onclick="return secureForm('d59b2826af476c01da1048cb0cbb5e95', this);">http://z5.ifrm.com/static/1/p_delete.png' alt='Delete Post' />
                  http://s7.zetaboards.com/thegangoffive/comm/?c=3&t=1160758&pid=337986&pg=1' rel='nofollow'>http://z5.ifrm.com/static/1/p_report.png' alt='Report Post' /> http://s7.zetaboards.com/thegangoffive/post/?mode=2&type=2&f=63439&t=1160758&p=337986&qhash=2ab5e7203a0e3bf8ec61a175bbc7e815' rel='nofollow'>http://z5.ifrm.com/static/1/p_quote.png' alt='Quote Post' /> http://z5.ifrm.com/static/1/p_top.png' alt='Goto Top' />

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Pterano has kindly offered to post this for me since when I type out a post then put it up, nothing shows up inside of it. It just looks like a blank post which you can see by looking at the previous one. Like all the other glitches I experience on the forum, I’m sure this will past in time. From beginning to end, this post has been written by me, The Friendly Sharptooth. Special thanks to this fine member for his help.

"So as promised, heres my review. I liked this chapter alot. You're very good at doing fantasy. I just never expected a fantasy LBT fanfiction...and I guess as well as many other people. 

So excellent work. And excellent fantasy writing. I'm sure it takes alot of energy to write as such. And you have amazing titles as well. 

Keep up the good work!"

Thank you for your kindness. The unexpected can be a funny thing, huh? So many things can happen. One may embrace it and end up pleased. One may embrace it and end up disappointed. One may run from it and regret it. One may run from it and live in peace. One may taste a sample and judge prematurely. One may taste a sample and decide to find out more. Whatever people do with things that were never anticipated is fine with me. Yet I feel that actions should be contemplated and not rushed, regardless of how insignificant things may seem or really are. Many times as a child when I feared that I would despise the taste of a dish, the end result was a smile on my face and a craving for more, and at times when I truly believed that I would love something, my gag reflex got some exercise. During other instances, a tiny bite of something turned my nose, but when I had fully experienced the flavor, it became a preference. I highly appreciate your praise, it does take some fair energy, but I enjoy it, and I will do my best to keep up with the way I am so far. I am glad you enjoy my titles, and here is the next chapter:

Chapter XXIV: Return to the Valley, Return to the War

In which the gang of seven return home and yet another battle ensues.

“What in the world!?” Cera exclaimed, gazing at the devastation in the valley. “Dusk is gonna pay for this big time!”

“Hold it, Cera. I don’t think Dusk is responsible for this. That is, unless he controls flying rocks. They’re all over the place,” Littlefoot reasoned. The log they were riding lowered gently to the ground and the gang dismounted. Petrie was panting, so Littlefoot scooped him up with his tail and let him ride on his back. “Good job, Petrie.”

Huff thank huff you.”

“Oh no!” Chomper cried, dismayed. “I forgot to say good-bye to my parents.”

Ruby rested a hand on his shoulder. “I’m sure they understand. They probably know you wouldn’t take off like that unless it was very important.”

“Thanks, Ruby,” and she smiled at him.

A voice suddenly rang out, and they all turned their heads. “Littlefoot?”

“Grandpa!” he exclaimed back. He rushed over and nuzzled his head against his grandfather’s.

“It was good fortune that you were gone,” he told his grandson. “As you can see, things got a little out of hand over here.”

“Did these flying rocks seem normal?” Cera asked him.

“What do you mean?” he asked back.

“There was nothing strange about them? Odd colors? Weird shapes?’ she inquired further.

“Mm, not that I noticed. They seemed just like the ones that blocked the water to the valley a long time ago.”

“I see.”

“Now Littlefoot,” his grandfather went on, “I think we need to have a little talk. I know how adventurous you are, but your grandma and I really wish you’d start telling us where you are going. We trust you, but we still feel uneasy when you vanish like that.”

“I’m sorry, grandpa. I’ll work on it,” he replied quickly, scanning the area.

“I’m sure grandma would you like to see you,” his grandpa continued.

“Can it wait just a little longer?” he pleaded.

His grandpa was taken back at his hesitance to see her. It was so unlike him to have something on his mind over his family. He knew it must be very important and that he’d probably hear about it later, so he simply said, “Alright.”

“Can you find them, Cera?” Littlefoot asked.

“Already did. Follow me.” The kids entered a run which led them up a hill. “They’re really close!” she shouted. They reached the top at a great speed so couldn’t stop in time. They collided with a pack of Three Horns and both groups tumbled a short distance then came to a halt.

One of the “Three Horns” looked up in surprise and started to say, “How did you-” but Menta quickly covered Agu’s mouth.

“They don’t recognize us,” she said in his thoughts.

“Oh yeah,” Agu thought back, feeling foolish.

“We’re really sorry about this,” Littlefoot told them all.

Ceit quickly closed his eyes, and Dusk replied, “No problem at all.” However, he didn’t sound like he normally did. “I can always count on you, Ceit,” he thought to himself.

Littlefoot motioned to his friends to move on, and they all followed him down the hill.

“What happened, Cera?” Chomper asked her. “I thought we were tracking Dusk and his friends, not some Three Horns.”

“I don’t know. Maybe I’m just tired and didn’t use my power right. I could have sworn it was Dusk I sensed on that hill.”

“Hm,” Ruby said thoughtfully. The others turned to her. “Did anyone else notice how many Three Horns were up there?”

“Sorry, me no pay attention to that,” Petrie told her.

“Neither did I,” Ducky added. Spike shook his head.

“Why do you ask, Ruby?” Littlefoot asked her.

“There were six of them, and it looked like one of them had a stone under his foot. Maybe Cera wasn’t wrong…” All of the kids’ eyes widened at once in realization.

“Hurry!” Littlefoot exclaimed as they raced back to the hill. However, when they reached the top, the “Three Horns” were gone. In their place, a tiny hole hovered slightly off the ground.

“I remember the Rainbow Faces saying something about how when they warp away, they leave a tiny hole behind that they can be followed with,” Ruby recalled.

Littlefoot turned in the direction of his nest. “I’m sorry, grandpa, grandma. This is just too important,” he said aloud quietly. “Come on!” he instructed, and the lot of them walked into the hole and vanished.

Dusk and his companions were at the mouth of a cave outside of the Great Valley. They were about to walk in farther when they heard a noise behind them. They turned to see Littlefoot and his friends standing right behind them.

“You caught on quicker than I’d anticipated,” Dusk told them.

“This ends now, Dusk. Give up Ali and the stone and we’ll walk away,” Littlefoot told Dusk.

“Huh? Whaddaya want with me?” Ali asked him curiously.

“Come on, Ali! Snap out of it! You don’t belong with them,” Cera coaxed.

“You must have me confused with someone else,” she told them. “Dusk raised me from a hatchling.”

“No, he did not!” Littlefoot exclaimed, outraged at how Ceit was messing with her mind.

“Quiet,” Dusk ordered menacingly. “Now, you can forget about Ali and the stone and we’ll let you walk away from this.”

“Not a chance!” Littlefoot shot back. “We beat you once; we can do it again.”

“We learned a lot from last time. You won’t be so lucky this time,” he replied calmly.

“Littlefoot,” Cera said.

“What?”

“Use your dark form.”

“But Cera! I might hurt you guys again.”

“We’ll stay out of your way. It’s just that, your light form won’t be of much use here. It’s about healing, not hurting, and Dusk needs to go down.”

“Alright, I understand.”

“How about this?” Dusk proposed to Littlefoot. “Why endanger us all? Let’s fight, just you and me.”

“Fine,“ he agreed. “Darkness, burn within my body!” and Littlefoot’s body shone like night itself. “I have more stamina now. This ends when you die!” he shouted to Dusk.

Dusk raised his arm. “Shadow Pull!” The top of the cave broke loose and fell on him, covering him in shards of stone.

“Littlefoot!” Chomper exclaimed.

The rocks quickly exploded off of him, and he snarled, “That only succeeded in ticking me off!” His front feet began to glow and sharp claws protruded and curled from them. He dashed at Dusk, who dived out of the way. Littlefoot broke clean through the wall of the cave.

“Such power,” Dusk marveled. He quickly ran out of the cave to the wooded area just outside.

“You cannot run!” Littlefoot shouted. He followed Dusk outside who had stopped near a tree. Littlefoot tried pouncing on Dusk who barely ducked in time. Littlefoot landed in the shadow of the large tree, and Dusk grinned.

“Shadow Bind!”

Littlefoot tried tearing into him, but stopped abruptly from the weight he suddenly felt behind him.

“I bound your shadow to that tree. You aren’t going anywhere.” Dusk proceeded to slam Littlefoot to the ground with Shadow Pulls over and over again.

His friends rushed over to help him, but Dusk’s group got in their way.

“Your friend agreed to fight one on one,” Menta told them. “Are you really going to go against his wishes?”

The Leaf Eaters did not even have to think. “Yes,” the said in unison.

“Copy!” Agu yelled and four more of him appeared. “Then  you’ll have to go through us.” He thought to himself, “I got the feel of making four at once back when Dusk was trapped. Now they’re in trouble.”

“Copy!” Ruby repeated, and there were quickly five of her. “Fine with us.”

Littlefoot was panting hard. He had been slammed to the ground with immense force many times. He looked up to see Dusk standing a safe distance away. At least, Dusk through it was safe. Littlefoot’s body glowed with intense darkness, and he bolted hard enough that he pulled that tree from its roots. He slashed into Dusk’s chest and his whole body erupted in pain. The searing pain caused Dusk to lose focus and the Shadow Bind dissipated.

Littlefoot chuckled and said, “I did not deliver a fatal blow. No, there would be no pleasure in that. The dark energy from my blow is filling your body with an intense agony. I will greatly enjoy watching you writhe in torment.”

Dusk could barely move. His whole body felt like it was sitting in fire, but he still managed to look up at Littlefoot defiantly.

Littlefoot spit on him. “You don’t seem sore enough!” He whipped his tail back and let loose a mighty sweep that sent Dusk sailing into a tree. He coughed up a small amount of blood. Littlefoot dashed into him with so much force that the tree behind him started to splinter.

Ruby’s and Agu’s copies were struggling against each other evenly; none were winning. Chomper watched five Agu’s fight five Ruby’s and didn’t know where to jump in.

“Strength,” Ali said, and started to dance. She swung her tail around, whipped her head back and forth, and moved her body rhythmically.

Agu’s copies started to overpower Ruby’s until they had all vanished. They all made their way to the helpless Ruby until Chomper stood between them.

“I’ll handle them, Ruby,” he told her.

Ruby knew that Chomper’s great strength might be enough for all five Agus, but she did not leave it to chance. “Strength,” she said, and started to move her body in a fashion similar to Ali’s.

Chomper paused, his now-intense strength nearly overwhelming him. All five copes piled on top of him, but he threw them all off with one move. The copies vanished, leaving Agu wide open.

Ali was at a loss. Any power up that she made for Agu would simply be copied for Chomper. Then she had an idea. She quickly ran away, far enough into the cave to be out of eyesight.

“Looks like youëve been left alone,” Chomper told Agu.

“I don’t think so,” Ruby said. Running after Ali, she added, “I think she’s trying to keep from being copied.”

Ruby hurried into the cave, turning the corner to find Ali. The Long Neck, however, was waiting. She slid her tail on the ground in a fell swoop, knocking Ruby off of her feet. With Ruby on the ground, Ali continued to lift her tail and bring it down hard on Ruby’s head, knocking her out. She ran back out to see Chomper taking out more of Agu’s copies, and Agu himself panting hard.

“Don’t worry, Agu. We can take him,” she encouraged.

“Where’s Ruby?” Chomper demanded.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Ali retorted. “Quick, make some copies.” Agu did so, and she said, “Speed,” while starting to dance.

Agu’s copies rushed Chomper very quickly. They all collided with him at once, knocking him down. Chomper swung at one of them, but it moved out of the way with ease. Chomper saw that the real one was standing back safely beside Ali. He rushed him, trying to defeat the copies at their source, but Agu dashed away.

“How do I defeat someone I can’t catch?” he thought desperately. Then he remembered the fight against Redclaw and his Fast Biters, especially Thud. He smiled, knowing how to get them all at once. He raised both hands and brought them down hard onto the ground. There was a small tremor and Agu, his copies, and Ali lost their balance and fell to the ground.

“Ugh, you won’t beat us again!” Agu shouted. The tension of the battle was really getting to him. This was the first time he’d made four copies without help, but his adrenaline wasn’t letting him stop there. “Copy!” Another two copies came out, making seven Agus in all. Though he wasn’t breathing hard before, with seven copies he seemed to be gasping for breath, barely able to stand.

“No, Agu! That’s too many. You’ll exhaust yourself,” Ali said as she stopped worriedly.

“I’m fine,” he replied, but he was trembling. They all rushed Chomper who stood tense, and Ali began her dance of strength once more to account for how weak Agu was getting. Chomper flexed his muscles and starting wailing at the copies.

They began to vanish, one by one, but Chomper’s strength was waning. Powered up, they were taking numerous punches to go down. Chomper defeated the last copy and fell to his knees.

“Now, Agu! Take him down while he’s defenseless,” Ali shouted.

Agu rushed with his claws out, but Chomper suddenly rose to his feet and grabbed him by the throat.

“Ho- how…?” he choked.

Chomper pointed behind Agu and he turned slightly to see Ruby back and dancing.

“It’s over,” Chomper told them. Chomper let Agu go who immediately lunged at him. Chomper shoved him back with great force, sending him back a great distance into the outer part of the cave wall, dazing him. Ali rushed to his side while Chomper shook his head. “They just don’t know when to give up.”

A tree began to collapse on Menta, but she telepathically shoved it back. “You waste your time,” she called to Cera. “Anything you throw at me, I can throw back.” Several trees started falling on her but with one swing of her arm, they all shot backwards.

Petrie flapped his wings and a small whirlwind formed, coming right for Menta. She simply pulled her arm back and Petrie was thrust head-on into the very attack he’d created. He started spinning uncontrollably until the wind finally died down, but he was too dizzy to see straight. He accidentally shot a gust of wind right at Cera who was knocked back hard into a tree. The tree lowered its leafy branches just in time to cushion the impact.

“Watch what you’re doing!” Cera roared.

Petrie looked at Cera who looked like three Ceras to him, and said, “Me sorry.”

“I have a plan,” Cera whispered to him. “I’m gonna throw a tree at her and you make the attack stronger with wind like we did with Redclaw. She won’t be strong enough to shoot it back.”

“Gotcha,” he replied.

Cera focused and a giant tree uprooted and came right for Menta, Petrie flapped his wings hard, sending a gust behind it that greatly increased the force it went through the air. Menta, however, did not try shooting it back. She dived out of the way and the tree went crashing into the cave behind them.

“Ugh,” Cera moaned.

“They seem to have forgotten I read minds,” Menta thought to herself.

“New plan,” she said to Petrie. “I’m going to throw one to her, and when she dodges, blast it back. She won’t expect the tree that misses her to come back.” Menta grinned.

Cera ripped out another tree with her energy and it came flying towards Menta. She dodged again, then turned to prepare for it to come back. Instead of the tree flying back however, Menta was hit in the back with a strong blast of wind. She staggered to her feet, but Cera quickly had the tree behind her wrap around Menta, holding in place.

“You can’t move things if you can’t move your arms,” Cera taunted.

“I don’t understand. You were planning to have that tree swing back and hit me, but that didn’t happen.”

“Hee, think we forgot you can read minds?” Cera asked. “I said that strategy to Petrie while thinking about it, but even though I kept picturing that same strategy, I told Petrie my real plan. That way, reading my mind worked against you.”

“Clever girl…” Menta thought dejectedly.

Ceit swooped down, clutched Ducky in his talons and flew into the cave. Spike followed in hot pursuit, but Ducky suddenly ran out of the cave. “Get him, Spike!” Spike charged into the cave, but he was stunned to see Ducky inside the cave as well. The one inside said, “No, get him, Spike! He made himself look like me!” Spike turned to the one outside, who screamed, “Quick, Spike! I’m the real one! Get him before he does anything else!” Spike placed his head on the ground and covered it with his front feet. This scenario was making his head hurt.

The real Ducky had an idea, recalling Ceit’s lack of altering the sense of smell. “Spike, use your sniffer!”

Spike went over to her, smelled her, then went to the other one. They smelled no different from each other.

“Oh no,” she thought to herself. “He did not slip up this time.” Getting a new plan, she called out, “Remember when we got the night flowers for Littlefoot’s sick grandpa?” she asked, trying to prove it was really her.

“Yes,” Ceit added, “And they ended up making him all better, yep yep yep.”

Ducky’s mouth dropped open. “How did he-?” she wondered, puzzled, not knowing that Ceit had met Littlefoot’s grandfather. The few trees around were rotting and dry. Ducky had no water to manipulate to prove that she was the real one. Spike lifted his front foot and brought it down hard into a mud puddle, splattering both Duckys. One laughed while the other said, “Hey, what did you do that for?” Spike ran over to the one spoke, hardened his head, then swung it hard, knocking Ceit into a tree who changed back from the impact.

“Good thinking, Spike,” Ducky cheered. Spike had cleverly reenacted the time Ducky was splashed by the mud the day before they had all met Mo. The battle was now drawing to a close.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter XXV: The Battle’s End, and the Journey’s Beginning

In which the fighting stops and new territory is ventured to.

Coaley peered out from the outer side of the cave. She was no fighter, and as such, all that was expected of her was transportation. She looked at her fallen comrades in a panic. They were too spread out to reach all of them with her warp power. Littlefoot was still wailing on Dusk, and she finally couldn’t take it anymore. She reach down, picked up a stick, ran over to Littlefoot and clomped him on the head. The stick instantly broke and he turned to her.

“I see that you have a death wish, brat.” He turned his attention toward her, but Chomper tackled Littlefoot and they rolled away.

“Chomper, what are you-?” Coaley began.

“We’re even now,” was his reply.

Littlefoot’s body glowed again, and the immense heat caused Chomper to lose his grip. Chomper looked down to see small burns on his body. Littlefoot’s claws extended and he lurched at Chomper. Suddenly, Chomper was gone. Coaley and he appeared a small distance away.

“Looks like you owe me again,” she said playfully with her tongue out. Chomper grinned, but quickly turned his attention back to Littlefoot. The enraged Long Neck raised his front foot and his claws shot out of it, pelting Chomper all over. The pain was so intense that Chomper began to drift in and out of consciousness, until he finally collapsed.

Thick branches swung down and clutched Littlefoot tightly, but he quickly broke free. Spike hardened his entire body and rushed at Littlefoot. He braced for impact, but Spike stopped short. He then opened his mouth and began licking his neck. Littlefoot was perplexed at this, but he managed to regain his senses and recognize who his friends were so shouted, “Release!”

Littlefoot quickly scanned the area, and seeing Chomper down, he rushed over to him. “Please,” he began, “Please say I didn’t do this to him!” None of his friends said a word.

“Of course you did this!” a familiar voice rang out. “That’s what happens when you don’t heed my warnings.” Reina walked over to Chomper and lifted him up. “Eh, no fatal injuries. You got lucky. Thanks to the increased healing capability of the stoneës power, his wounds won’t be around too long.” She glanced over to the bloody Dusk and pried away the stone he was clutching tightly. “Good work, all of you. Thanks to your efforts, the stone has been recovered. I’m a bit too tired to transport you all home, but I’m sure you’ll make it back just fine. You’ll lose your powers eventually with the stone gone, so maybe have some fun until then. See ya.” A light shone down from the sky, and Reina vanished.

Dusk saw the Rainbow Face vanish, and a tear formed in his eye. His dream was over. Life would remain hard for Sharpteeth. He managed to get to his feet, and helped his comrades up.

Littlefoot was in shock after hurting his friend so badly, but Chomper told him not to worry and pointed at a female Long Neck. Littlefoot quickly turned. “Let Ali go. Now! The stone is gone, so you have no more reason to use her.”

“Use her? Ali is our friend,” Agu argued.

“Friend!? You’re changing her thoughts so she’ll like you!” Littlefoot yelled, outraged.

“You’re just confused,” Ali told him softly. “Dusk and the others are my family. They always have been.”

“No, they have not!” Littlefoot shouted all the more.

“Coaley, let’s get going,” Dusk told her. “I don’t care where, just away from here and not the Great Valley.”

“Okey dokey Dusky. Warp.” Dusk’s group vanished, leaving behind a warp hole, as usual. Littlefoot immediately began to follow, but a groan from Chomper made him instead rush to his friend’s side.

“It- it hurts,” he said, starting to cry.

“I am so, so sorry, Chomper,” he told him.

“It’s okay, buddy. That wasn’t really you. You were just taken over by your power. I’m not mad,” but he quickly clutched his bleeding shoulder in pain. “But don’t worry. Reina said that the stone’s power makes us heal faster.”

“Not good enough!” Littlefoot exclaimed. “Light, shine within my heart!” After a brief glare of light, a white Littlefoot stood before his friend. He rested his front foot on each of Chomper’s gashes and burns, and in seconds, they were gone, save one. Littlefoot focused harder on the final one, but while it healed, it left a small scar.

“I offer my sincerest apologies, dear friend. After donning the force of darkness for so long, my powers are diminished. I had not the strength to heal the last wound properly. It will forever be a mark on your body.”

Chomper touched the scar on his shoulder gingerly. “That’s alright, Littlefoot. I am glad to always have a part of you with me.”

Both of them started to tear up, and they embraced. Littlefoot then released his power, returning to normal.

“Oh no! The warp hole is gone!” Littlefoot exclaimed. “We have to save Ali. Cera?”

“No good,” she replied. “They aren’t near any plants. They could be anywhere, so looking around probably won’t do us much good. I will check often to see if I can locate her. For now, let’s all get home. Petrie, could you fly another log back to the Great Valley for us?”

“Sure thing!”

The gang hopped on, though Littlefoot did so reluctantly, and it lifted into the air. As they flew along, “Think we should tell our families what happened?” Littlefoot asked.

“Eh, a stone that grants wishes, magic powers, Rainbow Faces from another world, and so on I think would be a little too much for my dad,” Cera admitted.

“If mom knew me go on such dangerous adventure, she may never let me out of her sight again,” Petrie said.

“Yeah, same with our mom,” Ducky said. Spike nodded in agreement.

“Okay, then this will all be our secret,” Littlefoot told them. “Our greatest adventure of all time.” The log finally landed in the Great Valley, and the children returned to their families. They had all agreed to say that they went to visit Chomper’s parents, which actually wasn’t a lie. They were all scolded for not asking permission, but that was all. The kids returned to their normal lives as they waited for their powers to fade. Or at least, most of them returned to normal living.

“See those tree sweets, Tria?” Topsy asked her.

“You mean the ones way up top? Yes, they look especially delicious.”

“Well in a few moments, they’re all yours.” He stepped back then started to charge. He hit the tree with an intense force, but the fruits didn’t do so much as to shake. He repeated this three more times with no results.

“Watch and learn, dad,” Cera said slyly, emerging from behind a bush. She ran back a short distance, hit the tree head on, and all of the tree sweets fell to the ground.

“That was amazing, Cera!” her father complimented.

“Oh, you just gotta know how to work with trees,” she replied, and grinned deviously.

“I can’t believe it’s over,” Dusk said quietly. “Now the lives of all Sharpteeth won’t improve at all.”

Menta sat next to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. “I am glad things turned out this way. A life without you is no improvement at all, no matter what changes.”

“Thank you,” he replied with a smile. Then he recalled his dream and began to wonder if this really was for the best. Ceit could alter her memories, but with the stone gone, Ceit was lose his powers. When he did, Menta would remember everything and may just kill herself. Dusk cringed at the thought of her dying like that.

“Menta,” Coaley began, “You said that the stone doesn’t take a life if used in their world, right?”

“Yes, but why do you ask, Coaley?”

“I don’t want Dusky feeling sad forever, so I followed that Rainbow Face into that light, and got taken to her world. I quickly warped back before she could notice. So if you really want to get your wish, Dusky, I can now warp us all to their world where we can get the stone back.”

Dusk’s face brightened and he gave her a big hug. “I love you,” he said, and Coaley blushed.

Two days later…

“You’re it!” Cera called out as she tagged Littlefoot.

“Maybe, but not for long!” he called back. Littlefoot started running towards Spike, but a Rainbow Face appeared in his way. He screeched to a halt to avoid a collision. “Reina? What are you doing here?” he asked her.

“I have no idea how, but Dusk and his group have gotten into our world. They have stolen the stone and we can’t find them. We really need Cera’s plant ability to find them again, and the rest of you would be a big help as well.”

“I would think that they probably came back to our world by now,” Littlefoot reasoned.

“No, I am sure that they have not,” she replied. “The stone was designed so that if it ever left our world, it would require a life to be taken, so it was certain that no one would steal it and flee to get a wish granted. It requires five dinosaurs to make the wish, and the one who would die must be predetermined. Dusk, to our surprise, wasn’t shaken by the cost. However, in its original world, the cost is different. It instead requires two extra wishers, but no life. Dusk’s group is only of six, so they’ve reached a stand off. Our denizens have been warned of Dusk’s intent, so he is unable to get anyone around to help him. However, I fear that he’ll find someone at some point to give him aid, and if he does, as I’ve said, this world will be in grave danger.”

“Do you know yet what he wants to wish for?” Littlefoot asked. The little Long Neck just couldn’t shirk the fact that he had his doubts about Dusk really being evil. He saved Chomper, after all.

“No, but as the prophecy warned, it spells doom. My kind cannot bear the thought of our project damaging another source of life, so we are doing all we can to stop him. Will you kids help us again?”

“If Dusk’s gets his wish, we’re all in trouble, so we don’t really have a choice. Guys?” Littlefoot asked, and all of them nodded in agreement.

“Thank you,” Reina told them, and she focused as a large beam of light enveloped them, and then they were gone.

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Okeeey...still not used to the gang having magical powers... :blink: But it's your style, your story and I'm okay with that. :yes Sorry I didn't review your last chapter, I tend to get lazy sometimes.  :p Though it is a good chapter.

I liked the part when Cera rammed into a tree and all the treesweets fell off. That sure made Topsy proud.

So anyway, excellent chapter...as usual. :rolleyes:  :lol Can't wait for the next!
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Okeeey...still not used to the gang having magical powers...  But it's your style, your story and I'm okay with that.  Sorry I didn't review your last chapter, I tend to get lazy sometimes.  Though it is a good chapter.

I liked the part when Cera rammed into a tree and all the treesweets fell off. That sure made Topsy proud.

So anyway, excellent chapter...as usual.   Can't wait for the next!

Thank you for your comments. They are very nice and appreciated. The part with Cera is a subtle joke. You see, she didn't have the stength to get those tree sweets off either. She was only able to because she has power over plants, so she used her ability to get them down while making it seem to her father like she was just ramming it. As for what's next, only the epilogue remains for part one of my trilogy. Your interest is enjoyed, and I'll see you around.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Epilogue

In which the duo come to a temporary stop.

“Why are you stopping?” a small child wanted to know. “That isn’t the end.”

“It is waaay past your bedtime,” his father announced. “Your mother will have my head if I keep you up any longer.”

“But mommy isn’t here,” he argued.

“Exactly. The point is to get you to bed before she catches us, otherwise, there will be trouble. I know that there is a lot more to the story, and that there are many unanswered questions you must have, but I’ll have to pick this up tomorrow night.”

“How much more is left?” he asked his father. “I didn’t see before you closed the book.”

“’Legend of the Seven Heroes’ is divided into three segments: ëDawn of the Seven Heroes,’ then ëJourney of the Seven Heroes,’ and finally, ëStruggle of the Seven Heroes.’ I just finished the ëDawn’ segment. I’ll read the second part tomorrow, and if we run out of time again, I’ll read the last part the next day.”

“Ooh, I can’t wait!” the child said, getting fidgety. His father laughed, then froze as a new shadow entered the room.

“What, pray tell, is going on?” a voice called out.

“Erm, well I, you see-”

“Save it, dear. It’s plain to see that you’re breaking your own curfew rules. I think I’ll give one of the servants a day off tomorrow. Can you guess who will be filling in?”

“Yes, sweetheart,” he replied solemnly.

“Now, off to bed, son,” she said, giving the boy a kiss on the forehead.

“Night mom.”

His mother blew out the candle lighting the room and marched her husband straight to bed while he hung his head sorrowfully. The child fell back against his bed. He could barely sleep. His thoughts were on the next installment of Littlefoot and company as he tried to imagine what adventures they would have next.

The End

To be continued in “The Land Before Time: Journey of the Seven Heroes.”

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Well that was a good read. Excellent work, Micheal. You REALLY know how to write fantasy!  :yes

I know, short review is SHORT!! But that's just the way the rock rolls. :lol

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well that was a good read. Excellent work, Micheal. You REALLY know how to write fantasy! 

I know, short review is SHORT!! But that's just the way the rock rolls.

Thank you again for your kindness. I appreciate your opinion of my ability. Small things can be very well received though. A giant box can contain a pile of poison ivy, while a small envelope can be holding a check for one hundred dollars. Wouldn't you rather have the small option? Size is not a reflection of quality and emotion. Short replies shouldn't be undervalued when they can contain just as much heart as ten pages. Your responses could not be anymore pleasing to me, and I am grateful for them.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Nice work here. I thought you did a great job. I liked how you made this. I also liked how you made Cera have magic powers. It was a nice touch.