The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fear of the Future

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
A few fan fictions I've read have addressed the issue of what awaits Chomper when he gets too big to be sustained off of insects alone and will have to eat dinosaurs to survive. However, I have yet to find a poem about the issue. I therefore took the liberty of writing a short piece about what Chomper may feel at some point.

Fear of the Future

Fear is welling up in me.
The future, I don’t want to see.

Just for now, it’s bugs I eat.
Boy, they sure are quite a treat.

But soon a time will surely come,
When meals aren’t such a measly sum.

To live on, it’s meat I need.
May such a time come without speed.

I can’t imagine what my friends will think.
My terrible dilemma does really stink.

For what awaits, what can I do?
My life here is surely through.

When my friends leave, my life is gone.
I can never again embrace the dawn.

I’ll have to live with my own kind.
I’ll have to accept my carnivorous mind.

Oh, my heart aches with pain.
All my worries are made in vain.

My darkest fear will come to light.
Someday, I will have to fight.

Soon my life will fill with blood.
I will battle in the grass and mud.

To all my friends, I’ll wish them well.
My time with them was surely swell.

So for now, I can only wait.
Though life is cruel, I accept my fate.

Fear is welling up in me.
My future is sadly going to be.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting TFS, it does capture what Chomper's thoughts might be quite well.

One thing I'd recommend, not as a complaint, but as a suggestion, for your next poem, try something besides an "AA BB CC" rhyme scheme, I'd be interested in seeing how that turns out

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Really quite an interesting poem indeed and a question which is very difficult to deal with in the land before time. We know that even grownup sharpteeth are not so much driven by instinct that they would be in a permanent state of having to attack everything edible within range, but there are also scenes in LBT 2 and 5 which suggest that there just might be moments in which instincts might take over which in case of a grownup sharptooth could be a lot more fatal than in case of a very young one.
In any case it is unlikely to work out for everyone else in the Great Valley to have him as a grownup around. Even if we assumed him to scavenge, which may be tolerable for many Great Valley dinosaurs given the presence of small scale dinosaurs known to scavenge it is unlikely that a constant supply for him could be provided that way or that everybody was capable of suppressing questions (and resulting dilemas) if he was to go on hunting trips in the vicinity of the Valley.
You really did pick up a very interesting topic which you have dealt with quite artistically. I share brekclub's curiosity about what you could do with other rhyme schemes. I would enjoy to read more poetry from you  :yes

Jim Gamma

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I guess he'd have to leave the Valley... probably to fight Redclaw. At the point where he could defeat Redclaw he'd be too dangerous for the Valley - likely even before then. Doc was right in The Lone Dinosaur Returns - the friendship will end. Hopefully not badly though.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I can't believe I didn't review this already. :slap

As I've said before it's a very nice poem. And it really deals with how hard the future will be for Chomper. When he'll have to leave his friends, the great valley, and start fighting for food. I love the line; 'I'll never again embrace the dawn." That just really sounds like a beautiful line in a sad, but very enjoyable poem. Reminds me of something in the novel, The Outsiders Nothing gold can stay. A very well done poem. I enjoy reading your works. :yes