The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time: Journey of the Seven Heroes

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter XVIII: Death on Two Worlds

In which the prophecy is understood.

“I see them,” Littlefoot announced before yawning. “They’re outside- of the desert- near a large pond.”

“Are there a lot of plants growing out of it?” Ace inquired.

“Yep.”

“I see. So they’re at the Protruding Pond.” The kids looked at Ace curiously who sighed, understanding. “Protruding means sticking out of. There are a lot of plants sticking out of this pond, hence its name.”

The kids nodded in reply. Ace was started to wince from moving so much with an injured foot, so Cera ordered, “Stop.”

“Ugh, what’s the matter now? Why are we stopping?” Ace moaned.

Cera grinned deviously. “You’re the problem. I can see the pain you’re in. We’re stopping so you can rest whether you like it or not.”

Ace was so dumbfounded by her bluntness and determination that he couldn’t find the words to argue. He promptly sat down. This time, it was Cera who gave the massage. She gently rubbed her two front feet on his ankle. Ace tried hiding how pleasurable that felt, but he couldn’t hold back a smile.

“Thank you.”

“Hee. Of course!”

“Littlefoot, have they left the Protruding Pond yet?”

“Surprisingly enough, nope. They’re still- sitting around- waiting. It’s almost like- they want to be- found.”

“Odd… Oh! Maybe they’re illusions trying to fool us again,” Ace guessed.

“Good point. They did it before, so they could do it later too,” Ruby cut in, hand on her chin.

“I guess we will found out when we get there, yep yep yep,” Ducky added.

“Yeah, we don’t- have a choice. There is no one- that looks like Dusk’s group- anywhere near- another source of water,” Littlefoot told them. Then he turned twice and laid down to take a nap.

A few minutes later, Ace arose. “I’ve had enough of a rest now. Let’s head out and see what happens.” Ace resumed using Cera for support, and the group finally got out of the desert. Littlefoot released his power, returning to normal as they continued towards the Protruding Pond. Little did the Leaf Eater group realize, they weren’t the only group closing in on Dusk…

“There they are!” Littlefoot shouted. He and the others ran up to Dusk’s group.

“Took you guys long enough,” Dusk commented, slowly getting to his feet. “Here’s the stone,” he offered, handing it to Littlefoot.

“What kind if fools do you take us for!?” Ace wanted to know. “This is clearly an illusion. You guys wouldn’t hand over the stone just like that. You must have just made solid illusions this time, which is why there are shadows. Come on, guys. The real ones can’t be too far away.”

Dusk rolled his eyes. “Why must you kids always make my life so difficult? I can prove we’re real. You all must understand how illusions work by now. They can operate with limited intelligence and can be directly controlled. Ask Chomper a question that only he would know. Sure, if we were illusions, the illusionist would hear the question, then could ask Chomper the answer, then relay it through his handiwork. However, that takes a bit of time to pull off. If Chomper here answers your question correctly immediately after being asked, you can know that we’re real, okay?”

There was a temporary silence, then Ace finally said, “Okay, we accept your terms. Littlefoot, ask him something.”

The Long Neck stepped forward, thinking of a question to present. Eventually, he asked, “When was the first time I ever called you ëbuddy’?”

Chomper immediately replied, “Back on my island after you were scared by my mom.”

“It’s really them!” Littlefoot exclaimed, nuzzling against Chomper’s head.

“And they’re willing to just give up the stone…?” Ace wondered aloud. Then he realized something. With Chomper, Dusk’s group was now of seven. “Does this mean, you made your wish?” The others froze.

“Yeah, but don’t worry, Littlefoot. It turns out that his wish wasn’t bad at all like we had thought. Look at my teeth,” he said, giving a toothy grin.

“Dusk wished that Sharpteeth would have flat teeth?” Petrie asked in confusion. “Why he wish for something like that?”

“No, silly,” Chomper said with a laugh. “His wish was that Sharpteeth would be built to live off of green food like Flatteeth. That way, there’d be no more fighting and deaths just to get food.”

“Wow!” Littlefoot exclaimed. “That sounds great. If I’d only known what he’d wanted, I’d’ve helped him make that wish in the first place.”

“Yeah, me too,” Cera chimed in. “Why would Rey think that trouble would come of a wish like that? That kind of thing will actually stop a lot of it.”

“Alright, well, we have the stone back so let’s all just go back to the king’s castle so you all can go home,” Ace said.

Cera look dismayed. “But, Ace, aren’t you coming back with us?”

“This world is my home now. I left Earth to turn my back on my horrible past.”

“Ace,” Cera said gently. “Don’t think of going back as returning to the past, but instead, preparing for a future. There are no Three Horns here. You could never settle down if you stay.”

“Is that your only argument?” Ace asked, not moved.

“No. I- I just don’t want you to leave me. I want a future- with you. Please come home with me.”

Ace was at a loss for words at first, but before he could reply, someone else spoke up nearby.

“Finally, we meet again,” a familiar voice said. “This time, you won’t be saved by a group of Drain Mice.”

“The Red Dragon Tribe!” Dusk exclaimed. “Everyone, get ready to fight!”

Dusk’s group posed for battle, but Littlefoot and the others didn’t move.

“Come on, guys!” Chomper called out. “We can’t let Dusk and his friends get hurt. He just did our world a huge favor, so let’s fight by his side.”

For a reply, Littlefoot shouted, “Water, flow with my mind!” He and his friends stood beside Dusk as an army of Red Dragons flew overhead.

“Step aside, friends of Rey,” their leader ordered. “Our quarrel is not with you.”

“Dusk and his companions are with us now!” Chomper replied defiantly. “If you fight them, you fight us too!”

“Very well. You have sealed your fate! Attack, my brethren! Feast on their flesh!”

The beasts shot flames from their mouths but Coaley yelled, “Negate Field!” A barrier surrounded the dinosaurs, blocking the fire. They finally landed and charged the group. The field finally faded, and Dusk started to form an energy ball. He threw it at the Red Dragons who all scattered and avoided the explosion.

Littlefoot fired a bubble from his mouth which enveloped one of their heads. He blew flames but they didn’t dissolve the bubble. He then reach up, slashing at it.

“Uh oh,” Littlefoot thought. “His sharp claws will…”

The bubble burst from being scraped by the dragon’s claws, and he caught up to Littlefoot, slashing at him now. His hand went right through him, as Littlefoot’s body had become like water itself. Two dragons were running single file at Menta, so she shouted “Stop!” The first one froze and the one behind him bumped into him, causing them to fall to the ground.

Agu closed his eyes and focused. He was cloaked in a puff of smoke, and when it lifted, he looked just like a Red Dragon. One of the beasts was coming right for Ali. Agu rushed at her too, but instead of striking her like her pursuer thought, he rammed into him hard. Unfortunately, Agu may look like a Red Dragon, but he certainly didn’t have their body mass. He fell to the ground, and his illusion faded. Another dragon took a deep breath and was about to blow Ruby away. She quickly lifted up a stone on the ground, becoming like a rock herself. The flames didn’t phase her at all, and she put her hands together and clobbered him on the head.

A dragon was chasing after Chomper, but he kept dodging the dragon’s blasts. He quickly led the dragon to a tree, turning at the very last second, and the beast slammed right into it. Petrie raised his wing and shouted, “Come forth, Water Nymph!” A blue, fluid-like beast emerged. A Red Dragon shot flames at her, but she sidestepped the attack. Icicles shot from her hand, puncturing the dragon in numerous places.

Dusk released energy through his hand, hardening it into extensions for his claws. He slashed into a dragon’s chest, but didn’t notice the one coming up behind him. Dusk was hit head on with a flame attack, burning him severely. Spike rammed into the dragon that hit Dusk, knocking him down.

“One moment, sorry,” the child interrupted. “I know that Dusk has used his power a lot, but I’m still just not fully sure what exactly he’s doing.”

“No need to apologize, son. I suppose that the story isn’t as clear about that as it could be,” his father replied. “Dusk can take the energy inside of himself and manipulate it outside of his body in various forms, like solidifying it into claw extensions or making an explosive bomb.”

“Ah, I get it now. Okay, continue please.”

“My lord!” Menta screamed, rushing over to him. “Rewind!” Shortly, Dusk was healed.

“Who should I Fuse with?” Ali wondered aloud.

“Fuse?” Cera asked back.

“Yeah. I can combine with someone to boost their power.

“Perfect. Fuse with me.”

“Fuse, Cera!” she called out, and she became one with the Three Horn.

Another dragon came at Ace. He laid an Explosive Trap, but the dragon saw it and flew over it. With his hurt foot, he couldn’t get away in time. The Red Dragon came forward, slashing down hard. He cut into Ace’s throat, causing him to start gagging and coughing out blood.

“Nooooo!” Cera screamed in a rage. She raised a foot into the air so she could keep eye contact with herself, and yelled, “Grow!” With Ali empowering her body, Cera became enormous, standing even taller the trees. She looked down, still keeping her front foot in eye’s view, and stomped on every last one of the Red Dragons. A pool of blood filled the area. Cera immediately released her power and ran to Ace’s side.

“Menta, can you heal him?” Ceit asked.

“No good. I used my Rewind cool down on Dusk already.”

Ace was gasping for breath as blood continued to squirt out.

“Cera…”

With tears streaming down her face, she replied, “Yes, Ace?”

“About your cough offer of a future with cough with you. I would- I would have cough taken it. I’m sorry I- I can’t come back with you now. But know that I cough cough appreciate what you’ve done for cough done for me, and- I- love you.” As those words left Ace’s lips, he closed his eyes and embraced death.

Continuing to sob, she buried her horn into the dirt and began to dig. One by one, the others understood and joined her. When the hole was big enough, Cera lone gently nudged him into it, and they helped pile soil back on top.

Everyone present lowered their heads in reverence. The dinosaurs stood in silence for a long time as Cera wept bitterly. Ruby eventually stepped forward and placed a hand on her shoulder. Cera looked up, and Ruby held her close in a warm embrace. They stood there for a while as Cera started to compose herself. Finally, the Three Horn broke away and said, “Let’s just go home. Petrie, think you can carry us all?”

“Me no think so. Sorry.” Then he noticed the Water Nymph he still had out and ended the summoning.

“Actually, he should be able to. Ali is still inside of you, so you can make Petrie a lot bigger than before.”

“That true,” he replied.

“Okay then,” Cera said. “Grow.”

Petrie took on a gigantic size as everyone piled on as they returned to Rey’s castle. During the entire flight, no one said a word, but Ruby continued to have a hand on Cera, and Littlefoot nuzzled against her as well. Cera noticed that she still had the bandage on her burnt foot and started to pull it off, as it wasn’t hurting anymore. When they arrived, they were welcomed back by Rey warmly, and he and his wife heard each group’s story in the dining room as they ate a meal, though Cera didn’t touch her food.

“Chomper, dear, would you please come here a moment?” Reina asked him gently.

Chomper got out of his seat and walked over to her. Reina then preceded to lift an arm- then slapped him across the face.

“You idiot! You absolute fool! Do you realize what you’ve done!? The seven of you could have saved your world, but now, thanks to you, you’ve doomed it to utter annihilation!”

Littlefoot quickly got up as well. “Don’t hit him and talk to him like that!” he exclaimed.

“You defend him now, but perhaps you won’t be so eager to when you learn what Dusk’s wish has really done. The population of Earth has survived thanks to a balance of life. Flatteeth eat the plants, and Sharpteeth eat the leaf-eaters. Your world worked like that for a reason! If Shartpteeth didn’t feast on other dinosaurs but instead ate green food as well, the world would become so overpopulated that the plants would eventually all be consumed, then everyone would starve to death. It’s thanks to meat-eaters that your world has strived so well. The prophecy clearly stated that when a group from your world came to possess the stone, it would be used for a dark end. That foretelling wasn’t a joke. With Dusk’s wish, I fear the worst for the fate of your planet. When we teleport you all back home, there may be no one left.”

“I get what you’re saying about why we’d run out of food,” Littlefoot began, “but I can’t imagine everyone having already starved to death. We’ve not even been here three full days yet. A dinosaur can go a while with no food at all.”

Rey took a deep breath. “There is something that my wife and I neglected to tell you. Time passes differently on various worlds. One day here is- three years for Earth.”

“What!?” Cera shouted, quickly getting to her feet. “You mean to tell us that our families haven’t seen us in nearly nine years!?”

“I’m afraid so. And with Dusk’s wish, there may be no one left alive,” Rey said gloomily.

“Take us home. Now!” Cera demanded.

“As you wish,” Rey replied quietly.

He led them all down a flight of stairs into a large room. There were several tubes of colorful liquids sitting on shelves and many other strange looking devices. In one of the corners stood a tall machine with a large, clear platform in the center.

“Everyone in,” Rey instructed. There was another Rainbow Face standing nearby, and Rey motioned for him to come over. “Take us to the Great Valley on Earth.”

“Yes, your highness.”

Everyone piled in, including Rey and Reina, and the Rainbow Face pressed a few buttons, flipped a few switches, then turned a few knobs. There was a flash of light, and suddenly, everyone was gone.

Fifteen dinosaurs appeared near the Thundering Falls. Such a thing would have shocked many, that is, if there was anyone around. There wasn’t. Everyone looked around, and their mouths dropped open in horror. The entire valley was like a huge graveyard. There were bones everywhere.

“What have I done?” Dusk thought to himself.

“Grandma, grandpa!” Littlefoot shouted, running to his nest.

“Littlefoot, wait!” Rey called, trying to stop him.

The little Long Neck finally arrived at his family’s spot. Two huge skeletons lay sprawled out, side by side.

“They were waiting for me,” he thought dejectedly. Littlefoot couldn’t fight back the tears.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter XIX: Consumed by Darkness, Loved by Friends

In which Littlefoot is involved in a horrible predicament.

“You guys are all welcome to live with us on our world,” Rey offered.

No one said a word in reply.

“I understand how traumatic this must be for you all, and I can’t claim that we’d make the best parents for you kids, but Reina and I will do everything in our power to give you all a good life. The teleporter operator is a psychic who keeps a telepathic link open between my wife and I while on another world. I’m going to contact him now, because I feel that the sooner we leave this world behind, the sooner we can all stop focusing on it and start focusing on the future,” Rey told them.

Still, everyone was too upset to speak. A flash of light shone from above, and everyone appeared back in Rey’s basement.

“I was going to ask you guys to finally let Ali go, but I think that suddenly learning the truth would be too painful for her now,” Littlefoot told Dusk’s group.

“What do you mean?” Ali asked.

“It’s nothing. Forget it,” he replied. With that, Littlefoot walked over and nuzzled against Ali’s side then turned and began heading up the stairs, leaving her with a very perplexed look.

Several months later…

“Ah! I’ve done it!” a Rainbow Face declared. He ran up the stairs, seeking an audience with the king. Entering the throne room, he bowed and said, “Your highness, I have finally made the Stone of Cold Fire adaptable to other dinosaurs. It will no longer shrink adults to child form, they will all keep their original colors, and furthermore, those outsiders should regain their original powers while keeping the new ones they got.”

“Excellent work,” Rey complimented. “I’m only glad that our guests didn’t keep losing and gaining new powers over all this time. After they lost their first powers, their bodies seem to have finally gotten used to it, so they stopped losing and getting new abilities after their second ones.”

“Why is that good news?” the Rainbow Face asked.

“Well, if they had kept losing then getting new powers, fixing the stone this way would have given them every power they had ever had, and that could be disastrous. Too many powers and a body could stop working right. Two is already pushing it, but anymore might cause a problem. Okay, feel free to release the stone so its power fills the land once more.”

“Yes, your highness.”

Dusk lay comfortably on a warm beach. His body was stretched out and his eyes were closed as he rested peacefully. Suddenly, he was covered in water from a large splash. He quickly sat up, sputtering.

“Agu, one more time and I’ll-”

“Sorry, my lord,” Menta interrupted with a laugh. “That was me this time.”

“Can’t a dinosaur get any rest anymore?” Then he sighed and reclined on his side.

Everyone else was splashing in the water and laughing. After a few minutes, Dusk, Menta, and Ceit started to feel odd. Their bodies started trembling, and they felt sore all over.

“What is wrong with you guys?” Ducky asked in concern.

The two Sharpteeth and the Flying Sharptooth suddenly started getting bigger and bigger until they were back to their original size. All of them regained their original coloration as well.

“Whoa!” Coaley exclaimed.

“I- I’m finally back to my old self,” Dusk stated, patting his body over. “What happened?”

“I can answer that,” Rey replied, having appeared seconds before he had asked.

“The stone has been modified to adapt to other dinosaurs now. At first, it was only designed to effect Rainbow Faces, though it ended up being compatible with beasts as well. For other dinosaurs, it would alter the size of adults and change the coloration. Now, it will work the same way for everyone.”

“Why go to the trouble of doing that?” Dusk asked. “Much as I like being my old self again, everything was fine before.”

“The main reason was to return you adults to your original size,” Rey replied. “I saw your change way back, so I knew that some of you were adults. My kind is planning several projects, like building more towns, clearing more roads, and planting more farms. With giants around, the work load would be a lot easier.”

Dusk sighed and he hung his head. “Very well. It’s the least we can do for your hospitality.”

“Wait a minute,” Cera said. “Dusk, seeing you in your adult form again, well, there’s just something familiar about it.”

“F-familiar? You must be mistaken,” he replied.

“Maybe. Are you sure we’ve never run into you before that Stone of Cold Fire adventure?” Cera pressed.

“Hold on,” Littlefoot cut in. “Cera was right about you being familiar. I remember you now. You’re the Sharptooth who attacked my mother long ago! If it wasn’t for you, my mother would still be around!” Tears of both anger and grief flooded his eyes.

“Wait, Littlefoot,” Cera said. “That Sharptooth drowned, remember? We pushed him off that ledge into the water, and he never came back up.”

“I know what happened, but there’s no mistaking it. He’s the one responsible for my mother’s death. I’m sure of it!”

After ridding the Earth of life, destroying all their families, Dusk felt that he at least owed them the truth.

“Yes. I recognized you kids the moment I saw you way back. I am sorry about your mother, but back then, Sharpteeth had to survive, and meat was all that would sustain us.”

“How is that possible?” Cera asked. “We thought you had drowned.”

“He did drown,” Menta cut in. “It plagues my dreams to this day. After he never returned from a hunt, I went out looking for him. I found him floating in a pool of water. I buried him under some trees, then suddenly, he came back to life. I was terrified at suddenly seeing him move again, but I quickly switched to feeling relieved.”

“Was there a large earthquake some time before he died?” Rey questioned.

“Yes. There was an enormous one that split the land,” she replied.

“That must have been when the stone first entered your world,” Rey concluded. “The power of the stone is massive. When we first created it, we had to slowly let the energy out to stop there from being an outpour big enough to provoke a natural disaster. The atmosphere must have been horribly unstable when the stone first arrived in your world. It’s anyone’s guess what all could have happened. One of the effects of the distortion must have been bringing Dusk back to life. Did anyone else see anything unusual around the time of that earthquake?”

“I was guided to the Great Valley by the spirit of my mother,” Littlefoot told them.

“I see. So the massive release of magic allowed Dusk to return to life and Littlefoot’s mother to exist in spirit form. Incredible,” Rey marveled.

Littlefoot, head down, approached Dusk. “I’ll never forgive you for what you did to my mother.”

“I understand how you must feel,” he replied, looking down at him.

“No, you don’t. You have no idea how I feel!” With that, Littlefoot ran off into the distance.

“Hey, daddy, I just realized something. You remember how in part one of this story, when Dusk first saw the kids, how he started acting all nervous? It’s been bugging me for a while. I’ve really wanted to know why he had acted like that, and you read it so long ago that I was afraid it would never be explained. Well, this part finally explained it.”

“You got that right. I’m pretty sure that this story leaves nothing to question but explains everything that gets left unanswered at first. At least, I haven’t noticed any plot holes. If you notice any, I’d be curious to hear them.”

“Alrighty, you got it. Feel free to go ahead now.”

Chomper started to run after him, but Cera got in the way. “He just needs some time. You’ll only make things worse if you chase after him now.”

“Okay.”

“I’ve been thinking,” Cera went on. “You guys remember Doc, the lone dinosaur? Well, I bet that the reason he’s alive after all this time was that he came back to life from the stone’s power too. It makes perfect sense.”

“That good idea is a really good idea,” Ruby complimented.

Suddenly, Rey had a troubling thought. “Oh no! I just realized. We need to find Littlefoot and fast. He may get hurt.”

“What you mean?” Petrie asked.

“I completely forgot that Littlefoot has gotten two sets of abilities each time the stone has empowered him, so now he has four.”

“Yeah, so? Having all of our powers at once is awesome,” Cera stated.

“You don’t understand. A body can handle one power just fine. Two, eh, it’s a bit much, but the body can still handle it. Right now though, Littlefoot has four powers coursing through him. His body might have a terrible reaction to the overload any minute. We have to find him right away!”

Everyone, including Dusk, quickly hurried off to find Littlefoot.

“I can’t believe I’ve come face to face with the one responsible for mother’s death. Grrr, if he wasn’t so big now I’d show him a thing or two.” Littlefoot looked up the sky in contemplation. “I’m sorry, mother. I just can’t avenge you.” He then plopped down onto the ground and lied on his back.

As he reclined looking up at the clouds, he couldn’t help but notice one that looked like a Long Neck. It drifted along through the sky. Then he saw another one, this one appearing like a Sharptooth. The two clouds came closer and closer and eventually merged. The end result still looked like a Sharptooth, only bigger. Littlefoot groaned at how that reminded him of his past and sat up.

“What would mother want me to do right now?” he wondered aloud. Then he remembered something of long ago.

Flash Back

“Look, mother, look! He’s so cute!” Littlefoot exclaimed, gazing down at a buzzer on a flower.

“Careful, little one. They sting.”

“Aw, don’t worry. I’d never do anything to make him want to do that.”

The buzzer finally flew up and started to leave. Littlefoot followed him as he came to land on yet another flower. He lowered his head to eye level with the plant and gazed at the insect curiously. Part of the flower broke off from the wind, and it went up his nose. He sneezed twice and the blasts shook the flower back and forth. The buzzer angrily took off and landed yet again- on Littlefoot’s nose. He tried holding very still, but his nose had one sneeze left to get out. With a loud achoo the buzzer frantically stuck his stinger down, and the Long Neck yelped in pain. The buzzer took off and left the boy alone.

“Mother! It hurts.”

“Aw, there, there, my little one.” His mother lifted him up and set him on her back.

“I hate that buzzer.”

“Oh, you shouldn’t hate him. He only thought you meant him harm.”

“I don’t care what he thought. He stung me, and it’s really painful!”

“It’s never good to harbor bitterness in your heart, dear Littlefoot. When someone hurts you in any way, the right thing to do is to forgive and forget. Staying angry only makes you miserable.”

“Well, if you say so. I guess I forgive him.”

“That’s my boy. Oh, look. This tree has some lovely tree stars growing from it.”

End of Flash Back

“Maybe- maybe I should forgive Dusk. It happened so long ago, and that’s probably what mother would want.” He then got to his feet. “I’ve decided. I’m going to stop being mad at Dusk and forgive him.” With that, he started to head back to where the other were. Suddenly, he began to feel very strange. “What- what’s happening to- me?”

His body started changing all on its own. He took on his fire form, then his water one, then light, then darkness, then back to fire. His powers were out of control, and he couldn’t stop transforming.

“Littlefoot!” Chomper screamed as everyone caught up to the Long Neck.

“Guys! Help- me!”

“Rey, what do we do!?” Cera asked frantically.

“We need to get him back to my castle and put him in a dungeon cell to block his power. I can figure out the next step from there.”

“Coaley, can you Negate his power for now?” Dusk asked.

“I’ll try. Negate!” she called, holding out her hands. Littlefoot stopped transforming for about two seconds, then his form changed again. The force of his changes knocked Coaley on her rear.

“Ow,” she moaned.

“I’ll carry him back,” Dusk offered. He stooped down to pick Littlefoot up, but suddenly, there was a black flash of light and he stopped changing. He ended up in his dark form.

“Littlefoot?” Chomper began. “Are you- okay?”

“Oh, I feel- marvelous. My dark powers have been fully realized. Who will fight me?” he challenged.

“Oh, great. Figures he’d get stuck in his dark form. All it cares about is violence,” Cera said with a sigh.

“No one will fight me, eh? Fine. Then I’ll give you a reason to come at me.” Littlefoot glowed and he took off quickly towards Rey’s castle. Chomper’s speed ability made him faster, so he took off after him.

“Littlefoot, what are you doing?” Chomper asked him.

In reply, Littlefoot opened his mouth and a dark beam shot out. It hit the ground right in front of Chomper, and the explosion sent him hurdling through the air. Littlefoot laughed deviously and continued to Rey’s castle.

Chomper got up and put a hand on his head. “Ughhh. That hurt.” He turned to see Rey and others appear beside him.

“Are you injured?” Rey asked.

“I’m okay.”

“Good. Now let’s get to Littlefoot before he does something he’ll regret.” Tapping everyone present, he called out, “Transport!”

In less than a minute, everyone was back at the castle. Being so large, Dusk and Menta waited outside. Ceit probably could have squeezed through the doors, but decided not to bother and waited with his friends outside as well.

Rey opened the doors, and everyone’s mouth dropped open. Guards lay scattered about the hallway, dead. Blood was everywhere. Suddenly, they all heard a loud groaning and rushed to the throne room. Reina was lying on the floor.

“Reina!” Rey exclaimed, rushing to her side.

“Don’t worry about me. He had to keep me alive so I could give you the message. Littlefoot took the stone, and he said that if we don’t find him and fight him for it, he’s going to destroy it. Furthermore, as we look for him, heës going to be practicing his fighting prowess on anyone he comes across, be they beast or Rainbow Face.”

“I hope that we can catch up to him before he hurts anyone else,” Cera said. “And about destroying the stone, you guys can just make another one, right? Oh, and also, won’t he just run out of power and pass out like he did before?”

“It’s not that simple. There is so much power condensed into that stone that, were it to be destroyed, the explosion would be big enough to destroy the entire planet,” Rey explained. “About him running out of power, that is a definite no. I’m sure his body has long grown used to his power, so his magical reserves are endless. Furthermore, possessed by an evil power or not, Littlefoot has murdered several Rainbow Faces and has threatened to continue. The law of this world is that, death is punished by death. I hereby declare Littlefoot a menace to this world that must be stopped at all costs.”

“Now wait just a minute!” Chomper cut in. “Littlefoot is my best friend. He would never hurt anyone if he was in his right mind. You can’t punish him for what the stone’s power is making him do.”

“I’m sorry, but the law is the law. When my remaining guards and I find him, he will be put down.”

“Then we’ll just have to find him before he’s found by you!” Ruby said defiantly.

Rey sighed. “And then what will you do? Live your entire lives as fugitives, being shunned by everyone else? Don’t throw away your lives for one dinosaur.”

“Sorry, Rey, but that’s just the kind of friends we are. Come on, guys,” Cera told the others as they left the castle. The kids told Dusk, Menta, and Ceit what had happened, and to their surprise, they agreed to help find him.

“I will use my Mind Seek ability to guide us to him,” Menta offered.

“Perfect,” Cera replied.

Half of the land walkers got on Dusk’s shoulders, and the rest boarded Menta. She focused for a moment then started to head for Littlefoot- and a terrifying encounter indeed.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"A nice chapter you made here. Nice work."

Thank you for your kind statement. I do appreciate it.

Side Story: The Origin of Dusk’s Group

In which it is learned how Dusk came to meet his companions.

“Wake up, sleepyhead,” a female Sharptooth said, gently shoving the one sleeping beside her.

“Ugh. Not now,” he replied, turning over onto his side.

The female grinned. She wasn’t giving up that easily. She bent over him, hands extended, and started tickling his belly.

“Ha ha ha! Fine, you win.” He sat up and stretched, yawning loudly.

She suddenly hugged him tight, starting to tear.

“Hey now, what’s this about?”

“I’m sorry, it’s just, I’m so happy you’re alive again. When I found you dead, I just wanted to fall over and die myself.”

“Really, Menta, you cling to me too much. When I die, if it happens before you, I want you to find the strength inside to press on for the both of us. Dying as well wouldn’t be doing either of us any favors.”

“Dusk, my brother, we’re all that’s left of our herd. If I lose you, then I’ll be alone with no reason left to carry on.”

“Come on. You’re a pretty Sharptooth. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard for you to find a nice, strong male to start a family with. Now enough talk of this. I’m going to get us some breakfast.” With that, Dusk arose and walked off into the distance.

“That sister of mine… When will she realize that life doesn’t revolve around me? Hm, what’s this?” he asked to himself as he saw a Flying Sharptooth nestled in a tall tree. He snuck up quietly, making no noise, then snatched him right out of it.

“Ack!” he screamed, flapping hard trying to get away.

“It’s no use,” Dusk said aloud.

“Please, don’t eat me! I’ll do anything!” he screamed.

“That’s odd. I’ve never met a Flying Sharptooth that could speak for a land walking one to understand. They usually just know squawks.”

“I’ve been around and picked up on your dialect,” he replied. “Now please, find someone else to devour.”

“Do you have a wife and/or kids?” Dusk questioned.

“Much as that information may save me, no, I am alone.”

“Impressive. You’re an honest one. Even knowing I might let you go if you have family, you made it clear that you did not. I wouldn’t think of harming such a noble creature. I’ll be on my way now.”

“Wait!” the Flying Sharptooth called.

“Mm?”

“I must repay you for sparing me. Let me come with you, and Iëll help until you feel weëre even. I have nothing else to do anyway.”

“What could you possibly do for me?” Dusk wanted to know.

“I can scout out prey over a great distance and report back to you. That would greatly reduce hunting time.”

“Very well. I will accept your service to me. Now if you don’t mind, you can start right away.”

“As you wish,” the Flying Sharptooth replied. Before he took off though, he added, “I’m called Ceit.”

“Dusk.”

With that, Ceit flew off. In a matter of minutes, he returned with news.

“Two adult Swimmers are grazing nearby.”

“Good work. Lead the way.”

It wasn’t long before Menta heard footsteps in the distance. Dusk was back and carrying two small dinosaurs, a Flying Sharptooth accompanying him.

“Made a new friend, did you?” she asked him.

“I suppose, yeah. Here, you can take this and I’ll split this other one with Ceit.”

“No, Dusk. You’re bigger than me. You need a whole one more than I do.”

“If I may interrupt,” Ceit cut in. “I’ll hunt for my own meal. You two enjoy these.”

“If you insist,” Dusk said.

“I do,” he replied.

After Ceit had left, Dusk explained what had happened.

“How long do you plan on keeping him around?”

“Eh, whenever I get tired of him. Endearment is not something to give up lightly. Anyway, I think I’m going to go for a walk.”

“Mind if I join you?” Menta inquired.

“Not at all. Nothing really for you to do around here.” With that, the two adult Sharpteeth took off for a relaxing stroll. Little did they know, however, that their walk would be anything but relaxing…

“I hate being an only child. I hate it! Why won’t you give me a brother or sister!? I’ve been asking for months! You’re the worst parents ever!” a child shouted.

“I’m sorry, son. It’s just- complicated,” his father replied.

“Tell me why or I’ll keep shouting!”

Both of his parents sighed.

“It’s not easy raising a son that’s so disagreeable,” his mother told him.

“We have our hands full with you, and besides that, with the way you treat everyone, we don’t think it would be a very happy environment for a new child,” his father added.

“Grrr, I hate you all!” That said, the child stormed off in a huff as his parents sadly watched him go. His mother started to follow, but his father stepped in front.

“He’s too angry to listen to reason. Let’s just let him cool off.”

“Alright.”

“How dare they not give me a sibling! They don’t deserve to be parents!” The child was kicking a rock as he stomped along. Each time, he kicked it harder and harder. Finally, he kicked it so hard that it went soaring threw the air. As he saw where it would land, he tensed up. The rock hit a grown Fast Biter squarely in the head.

“What the- Why you little-” he snarled, having seen the boy.

“Uh, I’m really sorry.”

“You’ll be even more sorry when you wind up in my belly!” he growled, starting to chase him. Agu ran as fast as he could go, but the Fast Biter caught up quickly. The child turned at a clump of trees and looked back to see the angry adult nearly upon him. However, since he wasn’t looking where he was going, he ran into something- someone, to be precise. He fell onto his back from the impact and looked up to see two grown Sharpteeth gazing down at him.

“Don’t let him eat me!” he exclaimed, hiding behind Dusk’s foot.

“Give the little brat to me, strangers. He’s my prey, not yours,” the Fast Biter declared.

“Aw, Dusk, we can’t let him eat this cute little boy,” Menta whispered.

Agu heard her and smiled innocently at them.

“Very well. Leave the boy alone, Fast Biter,” Dusk told him.

“How dare you steal my lunch!” the boy’s pursuer yelled. But knowing he could not overpower two full-grown Sharpeeth, he went on his way.

“Thanks, guys,” the boy said appreciatively.

“Our pleasure, dear,” Menta replied with a smile.

“Where are your parents, son?” Dusk questioned. “We’ll take you back safely to them.”

“My parents? Uh, right. Well, you see, they’re- dead! Yeah, that’s it! They were killed in that big earthshake that happened not long ago. I don’t have a family anymore.”

“Oh, Dusk, we have to take him in! We can’t let such a young boy face the world alone.”

“Sister, be reasonable. We’ve never parented before.”

“No one is prepared to parent before they try,” Menta argued.

Dusk let out a heavy sigh. Ceit had just been added to the scene, now his sister wanted another addition.

“I suppose we can look after him for a while.”

“Alright! Thanks!”

“Yeah, yeah,” Dusk replied. “So what’s your name, kid?”

“Agu.”

“Dusk, and this is Menta. Anyway, let’s head for home. I’ve walked enough for now.”

The three Sharpteeth turned and began to return to the mountain that Dusk and Menta lived on.

“So, are you two mates?” Agu asked them.

“If we weren’t siblings, we probably would have ended up getting hitched,” Menta said with a laugh. “We’re very close.”

“I see,” Agu replied. “Whoa, look at that! There’s a big fight over there!”

However, Dusk and Menta had already noticed it. A single, female, adult Sharptooth was fighting against two Three Horns. Her mate was already dead, killed by the sharp horns.

“Dusk, we have to help her!” Menta exclaimed.

“On it!” Dusk replied. They started to run over, but they were too late. The two leaf-eaters had her corned, and the male finally gouged his horns into her chest, killing her as well.

“Mommy!” a little girl screamed.

The Three Horns were about to kill the child too, but Dusk and Menta overpowered them, killing them quickly. Menta stooped over and picked up the sobbing child.

“Mommy… Sniff hic!”

“Oh, Dusk…” Menta trailed off.

“No, no, no! Ceit has moved in with us, and now we have little Agu as well. We aren’t switching from two to five in one day.” Then Dusk took a good look at the little Sharptooth in his sister’s arms. She gazed up at him with a the most pitiful look he’d ever seen.

“Ugh! Fine.”

Menta hugged her brother right away then set the girl down.

“Don’t worry, dear. We’ll take care of you. What’s your name?” she asked her.

“Sniff it’s Coaley.”

“Well, Coaley, I’m Menta, this is my brother Dusk, and the little one here is Agu.”

“Thank you so much,” she replied, hugging Menta tight.

The group arrived back on the mountain and were greeted by Ceit.

“Who’s that guy?” Agu asked.

“Ceit, a friend,” Dusk answered.

“Have an interesting walk?” Ceit marveled.

Menta giggled. “You could say that.”

Dusk plopped onto the ground. “I’m so tired of my kind being killed off just because our diet is meat. If everyone could live off of plants, there wouldn’t be so much trouble in the world.”

Menta rested a hand on his shoulder. “That’s a nice thought, brother, but it’s only something that could happen in dreams. Best not trouble your thoughts with things that could never be.”

Dusk sighed. “You are right.” Then he suddenly put a hand on his head.

“Dusk, are you alri-” but Menta immediately felt odd as well. Ceit, Agu, and Coaley felt unusual too, and Agu groaned loudly.

Suddenly, Dusk, Menta, and Ceit shrank exponentially. Dusk and Menta were barely bigger than Agu, and Ceit was small enough to perch on one of their shoulders. Everyone let out a cry of surprise. Next, everyone’s coloration changed. Dusk was the first one to speak.

“This- power. I don’t understand it, but, I feel great!” He turned to a small ledge overlooking a cliff. He gazed down at the shadow it left and shouted, “Shadow Pull!” The ledge quickly gave away and plummeted down to the ground.

“I feel power too,” Menta added. “Do you think it is what shrunk us?”

“Has to be. We suddenly became like kids again as soon as we got this power. I wonder, is this a dream?”

Menta came over and pinched him.

“Ow! Couldn’t you have pinched yourself?” Dusk asked. Menta only giggled.

“This is so awesome!” Agu exclaimed. “Copy!” Out of nowhere, two more Agus came into view.

“What can the rest of you do?” Dusk asked.

“I can move things with my mind, hear thoughts, and scan for knowledge in other dinosaurs,” Menta said.

“I can create things that aren’t real that can act on their own, alter how things seem, and change someoneës memories,” Ceit added.

“I can move things anywhere I’ve already been,” Coaley concluded.

“Greetings,” a voice suddenly rang out. Everyone turned to see a Rainbow Face. “You all must be a little confused right now. Allow me to explain.”

“Hey, you’re a leaf-eating dinosaur!” Agu pointed out. “How come we can understand you?”

“You’ve all been given a gift. Part of that gift is universal speech. In other words, you can understand any form of communication. But that’s not what’s important. You now all have abilities thanks to the Stone of Cold Fire. Itës power has finally spread enough to reach this spot.”

“How can a stone that is cold be on fire?” Menta questioned.

“It isn’t really a cold, burning stone. It’s a symbolic title. For something to be cold and on fire at the same time means that it must defy nature. The stone defies the boundaries of all that is natural by giving dinosaurs special abilities- magic. Of course, there are a few side effects in most kinds if dinosaurs, as you can see from the new sizes and colors.”

“Fascinating. Is there anything else we need to know?” Dusk inquired.

“I’ve told you all that you need to know about the stone. What I will add is, I could use your help finding it. It was recently hidden somewhere on this mountain.”

“It’s hidden on this mountain?” Dusk asked. “I’m sure there’s some long story involved, but we’re not interested. I’ve had a very busy day, and I’m not up to go searching for some rock. Maybe some other time.” Dusk turned to Menta and thought to himself, “You said you can hear thoughts, right? Blink if you heard that.” Menta blinked. “Good. Now, he seems to be withholding information about this stone. Scan his mind for what he’s not telling us, then tell me in my head.”

“Okay,” he heard in his thoughts.

She then did so, and Dusk’s eyes widened.

“Very well,” the Rainbow Face replied in a disappointed tone. “Do you have a psychic in your group?”

“I am,” Menta replied. “Why do you ask?”

Dusk mentally sighed. He didn’t want this guy knowing what all they could do.

“Excellent. Well, if you ever come across an unusual stone, just contact me telepathically. Well, good-bye for now. Transport!” And with that, he was gone.

“So now what do we do?” Agu asked.

“Well, I-” but Dusk was interrupted by thundering footsteps down below. A large herd of Long Necks was passing by. They came to a stopping point near a clump of trees and started to eat. Two small children came into view and started running away from the others.

“What should we play this time?” the girl asked.

“Rescue,” the boy answered.

“Again? Can’t we play something else? You always say that.”

“”It’s decided then. I’ll run a little bit away then you scream for help. Then I’ll come and pretend to fight off Sharpteeth.” With that, the boy ran back into the herd and waited for a bit. The girl, being so fed up with rescue, started to walk off.

“I’m curious about that memory changing ability of yours, Ceit. Despite what I told that Rainbow Face, I do hope to find this stone, and we could use as much help as we can get. Ceit, do you think you could alter that little Long Neck’s memories to think we raised her from a hatchling?”

“As you wish,” Ceit replied, flying off. He flew to a moderate distance over her head, then closed his eyes and concentrated. Finally, he opened his eyes and landed right before her.

“Hey, Ceit,” the Long Neck greeted him. “Where are the others? Sorry about wandering off like this.”

“Don’t worry,” he assured her. “Dusk and the others are this way.” Ceit then lead her back to the other Sharpteeth.

“Ceit, may I speak to you in private please?” Dusk requested.

“Of course.” Then the two of them walked a small distance away.

“Even with our powers, I don’t want to risk that herd worrying about their lost one and coming to find her. That many Long Necks are a serious threat even with our powers, especially now that I’m so small. You also mentioned being able to make things that aren’t real. When you were in her head altering her memories, were you able to see her old ones?”

“Yes.”

“Then, would you be able to make a fake version of her that would act normal enough to stay with that herd?”

“Not a problem.” Ceit took off and flew near the Long Necks. Again, he closed his eyes and focused. A dinosaur suddenly appeared on the ground looking just like the girl. Ceit then hastily flew away and watched what she did.

“Where’d you go?” the boy from before called.

“Sorry, Rhett! I just walked a little bit too far. We can keep playing now. Ah, I’m being attacked by Sharpteeth! Save me!” she acted.

Rhett rushed over and started whipping his tail into the air as if he was fighting. Ceit grinned then returned to his friends.

Dusk looked down from above and thought to himself, “Eh, her color is slightly different, but maybe no one will notice.”

“Mission accomplished, Dusk. Her name is Ali, by the way,” Ceit whispered.

“Excellent job, Ceit. Attention, everyone,” Dusk continued. “There is a special stone somewhere on this mountain. I want us all to spread out and start looking for it.”

“What does it look like?” Agu asked.

“No idea. Just look for a rock that’s unusual.” As everyone started to scatter, Menta approached Dusk.

“There is another interesting thing I found in his mind as well. There seems to be some prophecy that someone from this world will try making a wish that will cause trouble, and it would take the combined efforts of seven diverse kids to stop the wish from happening.”

“What do you mean, ëSomeone of this world’?” Dusk inquired.

“Oh, right. It turns out that that Rainbow Face comes from another world.”

“Fascinating. You did very well, Menta. And by the way, I would appreciate it if you didn’t read my mind again without permission.”

“Thank you, and I promise that I won’t. Well, I’ll start looking for this stone now too.”

The six dinosaurs searched for hours but had no luck. Everyone finally met back up, and Dusk had more to say to them.

“I want all of us occasionally looking for a group of seven kids, each different and living in one place.”

Menta raised a brow, but knew that he would explain when he was ready.

“I don’t see how my wish would cause any trouble, but there’s no harm in being careful,” Dusk thought to himself.

Days passed as the group switched off between looking for the stone and looking for those kids. They had no luck with either search. Finally, a familiar face approached Dusk.

“Hello,” Rey said to him, who was alone.

“We meet again.”

“I noticed that you’ve been scouring this mountain. I presume you’re trying to find the stone now?”

“I don’t see how my activities are any of your business.”

Rey chuckled. “Then you must be. If you weren’t, you’d’ve surely just said no.”

“Perhaps.”

“Listen, friend, I don’t want any trouble with you. But that stone is property of my kind, and I will see to it that it comes back into our possession.”

“I don’t recall any forming of a friendship between us. And surely you’ve heard the saying, ëfinders keepers’?”

Rey let loose an abrupt chuckling. “So that’s how it’s going to be, eh?”

“In any case,” Dusk said, changing the subject, “what do you think about this world being free of meat-eaters?”

“That would be catastrophic. Why do you ask?”

“Just curious. Now if you don’t mind, I have things to do.”

Dusk met with Rey and eventually Reina as well on numerous occasions after that, each time growing more and more hostile towards each other. One night, as everyone was gathered around, Dusk had something to say to his companions.

“I have a plan to make this world a better place. For now, I only ask that you trust me and follow my orders.”

“I’m with you, Dusk,” Menta replied.

“I’ll follow you anywhere,” Ceit added.

“I’m with ya too, Dusky,” Coaley chimed it.

“Dusky, huh?” Duck thought, not amused with that nickname.

“I remain loyal to you, Dusk,” Ali told him.

“I guess, whatever,” Agu concluded. Menta gave him a light but abrupt smack on the head.

“Show some respect,“ she ordered, and Agu grimaced. Turning to Dusk, she continued, “You make a fine leader. Therefore, I believe that you deserve a title worthy of your position. I will help you achieve any goal you set out to accomplish, my lord.”

“Lord, eh? I like the sound of that.”