The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sequal Quality

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I really think that the quality of the sequals is getting better.  The old stories were more meanngful and such but the newer one's are just more entertaining.  I'll have to say that the quality is increasing with every sequal.  Keep them coming!

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i think they're quality is getting better. They're also switching up the moral of the stories, like in lbt 11 with the consequences of lying and things like that, not just sticking to teamwork as the moral of the story.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well now, This is interesting!  4-1 saying they're getting better. ;)
First of all, let me say I'm the one vote (currently) for "decrease".  I will admit that the later sequels have been generally more *entertaining* (more action, prettier effects, fewer dull moments) but there seems to be generally less care in handling dialog and character behaviour and less focus on what was the essense of the LBT sequels (mainly in 2-4).  It's difficult to pinpoint but I just don't feel the same things toward the later sequels as I do for the earlier ones.  I won't usually say to myself "Do I want to watch LBT 2 or LBT 8?"  Instead I'll say to myself "Do I want to watch an old LBT (1-4) or a new LBT (5-12)?"  then I'll break it down from there.

To keep this relatively short (I've mentioned a few points comparing the sequels in other threads such as this one...), I think the sequels are in such different eras that comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.  LBT 2-4 and 5-12 (currently) were developed using completely different styles.  I just feel that LBT 2-4 felt more genuinely true to the LBT I felt had developed throughout the series' progression.  As of LBT 5, the rules began to change and LBT became not "LBT" but "NEW LBT".  "LBT" as I knew and loved had disappeared.  Enter "New LBT" with its own set of rules, which it seems to make up as it goes along (earlier sequels contradict later sequels and vice versa), and everything changes.  A Good change?  I think it's less structured and less organized, so No.  That's the basics behind why I'm saying "decrease".

Don't get me wrong; I like the new ones.  I just miss the old ones.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well now, This is interesting! 4-1 saying they're getting better.

Yeah.  That surprised me too.  I thought I was the only one and that everyone else would think like you Action9000.  I agree that more thought was put into the older ones.  If they remade the older ones using the great animation they have now, I would probably like them more, but in all honesty, I don't think that the stories are getting worse.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
but in all honesty, I don't think that the stories are getting worse.
I agree, I don't think the stories are getting worse.  I just don't think they are being executed as professionally as they used to.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The old stories were more meanngful and such but the newer one's are just more entertaining.
As far as I'm concerned meaningfulness makes up for too much of the entertainment to take the decreace of meaning lightly.
They're also switching up the moral of the stories, like in lbt 11 with the consequences of lying and things like that, not just sticking to teamwork as the moral of the story.
There are morals beside teamwork in every single one of the land before time movies. They used to be more subtle in the earlier sequels (excepting LBT 3) and I have to say I prefer sequels coming as good stories allowing the audience to make up their own conclusions rather than having the morals drummed in the way it was the case in most of the recent sequels.
I will admit that the later sequels have been generally more *entertaining* (more action, prettier effects, fewer dull moments) but there seems to be generally less care in handling dialog and character behaviour and less focus on what was the essense of the LBT sequels (mainly in 2-4).
I must disagree even on that one. What worth is any action if the Sharpteeth involved are harmless toys? Or what worth is the action if it is exaggerated or implausible (e.g. Ducky being pushed from a cliff by Spike accidentally). Are there really dull moments in the earlier movies which the newer sequels don't include? I fail to see any change about that one. It may depend on our definition of "dull moment". How do you specify it?
Overall I think LBT is decreasing as they are focussing even more on the younger audience not just as the main but as the exclusive target audience :(
Keep them coming!
This at least I agree with. I hope for the sequels to get better.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I'd say they're about the same, but in actuality, each sequel should be looked at on a more "sequel to sequel" basis, rather than "old vs. new". Some of the sequels are pretty dang good, some of them are horrible beyond belief.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
They get worse the longer they try to come up with new ideas that don't fit what they've already explained (I won't forgive the tickling sharpteeth trick when its plainly obvious that shouldn't work: see LBT 1).  And they do need to learn, songs are not necessary for a good kid's film...I don't see kids whining about Finding Nemo not having songs and its Pixar's most profitable film to date.  Go figure.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would say that the quality has decreased from the the first few sequels to the more recent ones. I agree with Petrie, the songs need to be pared down, because none of the recent songs have been very memorable imo. I don't like Character's breaking out into song like a Sullivan and Gilbert routine.. perhaps its just me but I'd like to see an contination of plot from one sequel to the next. Each sequel seems less attached to the previous one theb more sequels come out..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I can say with confidence that the stories are actually getting better, however I would also have to agree with many of you and state that the songs aren't really nessesary for the sequels and even more so for the Television series....

AND I VOTED  :DD

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Some of the sequels afterlbt 4 were a bit disappointing, and lbt is becoming more childish. Maybe it's also because I've grown up after watching lbt for the first time, but still I miss the pre-charles grosvenor period.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay here's the way I see it..............

I feel the stories have gotten a little bit worse but it depends on what the sequel is. Take LBT 10 for example I love that one. Now, 11 and 12 not so much. I do happen to like most of the Land Before Time songs and the more I think about it the more I think I wouldn't be as much of a fan of LBT without them. They are a part of the story. And part of the many reasons I love LBT to begin with. Perhaps this is just me being biased because I am so into Broadway Musicals. But what I would say instead of taking them out completely to just sing 1 song every movie or just have a movie without a song. That way they can concentrate on the story. But I can't really picture LBT without singing. Something would be missing from the film and I really wouldn't like it as much IMO. Once again this is just how I see it.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Quote from: Dash The Longneck,Jun 17 2007 on  11:25 AM

I feel the stories have gotten a little bit worse but it depends on what the sequel is. Take LBT 10 for example I love that one. Now, 11 and 12 not so much. I do happen to like most of the Land Before Time songs and the more I think about it the more I think I wouldn't be as much of a fan of LBT without them. They are a part of the story. And part of the many reasons I love LBT to begin with. Perhaps this is just me being biased because I am so into Broadway Musicals. But what I would say instead of taking them out completely to just sing 1 song every movie or just have a movie without a song. That way they can concentrate on the story. But I can't really picture LBT without singing. Something would be missing from the film and I really wouldn't like it as much IMO. Once again this is just how I see it.
okay, taking a page from Tim's book, it depends on the situation :p

if you'd never heard the songs to begin with you may have never had a problem, however I totally agree that the songs are part of the story

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tails_155,Jun 17 2007 on  11:30 AM

if you'd never heard the songs to begin with you may have never had a problem, however I totally agree that the songs are part of the story
However I also agree that there are songs to be left out. That really add nothing to the story Those can go far away. As of LBT without songs I just don't know I guess it's been with good songs for so long I really can't say whether I'd love or hate or dislike it. But truth is if it was like LBT 1 I probably would have grown accoustomed to it. I'm just a fan of animation in general so if that were the case I probably would have thought it would be great. But if they took them out now it would just feel empty.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Quote from: Dash The Longneck,Jun 17 2007 on  11:38 AM
Quote from: Tails_155,Jun 17 2007 on  11:30 AM

However I also agree that there are songs to be left out. That really add nothing to the story Those can go far away. As of LBT without songs I just don't know I guess it's been with good songs for so long I really can't say whether I'd love or hate or dislike it. But truth is if it was like LBT 1 I probably would have grown accoustomed to it. I'm just a fan of animation in general so if that were the case I probably would have thought it would be great. But if they took them out now it would just feel empty.
(is that ^ excessive?)

I agree, I think Creepy Crawlies/Stupid Stompers was totally just lowering the age demographic for the series =\ =/

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Lets see...

The acting has become a little pitiful lately, the colors are FAR too bright for my taste, and the storylines have become a little iffy. So I'd say they've decreased.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 8 2007 on  08:24 PM
I really think that the quality of the sequals is getting better.  The old stories were more meanngful and such but the newer one's are just more entertaining.  I'll have to say that the quality is increasing with every sequal.  Keep them coming!
I thought you were insane until I realized the first quote came from June 2007.

The later sequels are all right, not terrible, a bit kiddy, but nothing I can't handle. LBT 13 is the only one I have to say I all around pretty much didn't like.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
With the exception of the 13th movie (one of my least favorites BTW) the sequels really seemed to have increased in picture quality. My two favorites for the quality are the 10th and 12th movies.

Bruton the Iguanodon

To keep this relatively short (I've mentioned a few points comparing the sequels in other threads such as this one...), I think the sequels are in such different eras that comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. LBT 2-4 and 5-12 (currently) were developed using completely different styles. I just feel that LBT 2-4 felt more genuinely true to the LBT I felt had developed throughout the series' progression. As of LBT 5, the rules began to change and LBT became not "LBT" but "NEW LBT". "LBT" as I knew and loved had disappeared. Enter "New LBT" with its own set of rules, which it seems to make up as it goes along (earlier sequels contradict later sequels and vice versa), and everything changes. A Good change? I think it's less structured and less organized, so No. That's the basics behind why I'm saying "decrease".

Don't get me wrong; I like the new ones. I just miss the old ones.

I agree with you totally. LBT 2-4 were so fun, mysterious, magical and overall amazing, (not to mention, while not as dark as the original, they were edgier then the later ones) whereas starting with Grosvner (who then began to direct the sequels, hence the huge change) it changed from "LBT" to "NEW LBT." I really miss the old ones too; back when they first came out it looked like the series had an interesting future ahead. With 5, however, the films feel not just lighter and softer then the original but overly kiddish, and it was clear where they were going. REally disapointing, in my opinion. I don't really like the new ones at all---it's been years since I've watched 2-4, though, so I might be forgetting some things about them. Either ways, we'd have to go back to the style of those flms if LBT was ever to be resurrected.