The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Petrie's Birth

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The timeskip doesn't have to be a very long, though. They all could just have a few days separating one another's "Hatchdays". We really don't know what the timeframe of the events we see in the opening is.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Somehow, I had always interpreted Ducky as being quite a bit younger than Littlefoot and Cera. If this is what Bluth & co. intended, than either her hatching scene is temporally misplaced (actually taking place some time after Littlefoot’s hatching), or the hatching swimmer shown in that sequence is not actually her (although you certainly get the impression that it is). However, there is the possibility that, being different species of dinosaurs, the characters mature at different rates. Perhaps, in the LBT universe, swimmers simply grow more slowly than other kinds of dinosaurs (though ironically this is the exact opposite of reality; hadrosaurs are believed to have been nine feet long by the time they were a year old :p), which might also explain why Ducky is so much smaller than the rest of the gang (excluding Petrie), even though she will be about the same length as Cera or Spike when the gang is grown up.

This brings me to Cera’s statement in LBT V on being the oldest of the gang. It could be that LBT threehorns grow more quickly than other dinosaurs (although if that is the case, then it’s strange that Cera has not yet shown the slightest indication of brow horn growth), and the gang do not yet comprehend the aging differences between their respective species, so Cera just assumes that she is the oldest because she is the furthest along in her growth. Though I strongly suspect that the real-life reason for the inconsistency is that the makers of LBT V either did not check the first movie to make sure they weren’t contradicting it (I even wonder if they forgot that the gang had not known one another their whole lives), or just didn’t consider the logic issues with the line (the gang needing to know their exact comparative hatching times) when they put it in the script. Possibly both. :rolleyes

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
How much you wanna bet the missing footage provides a few answers?

Those are all very good points. I hadn't taken different rates of majoring in the dinosaurs into consideration before as they're...very humanized by being able to speak. For all we know, Ducky could chronologically be the oldest, but because she grows at (perhaps) the slowest rate she's physically and mentally the youngest. This would make for interesting character study.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
In my opinion the birth scenes at the beginning do not show a chronology. They where arranged to show some characteristics of the main characters in order of their relevance for the movie.

It starts with a funny scene that shows Ducky. Then you can see Cera, which pretends to be brave but deep inside she is an afraid creature. At last and as climax you can see the main "hero" Littlefoot, which has to master adverse circumstances during his whole live.

It would also be a daunting introduction for children if the movie would start with the relative brutal scene of the egg stealer combined with the flashes of the thunderstorm

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Another question would be what different the age difference (which I suppose most will agree to be a rather small one) would make. Apart from Cera's deducting a greater claim to food or the like (which I daresay she would rise no matter her real age) the difference may be much less in the perception of the LBT dinosaurs than it would be to some humans. I still doubt LBT dinosaurs to be able to figure out their age precisely enough to be able to tell the difference of a few days.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
So Cera claiming to be the oldest could just her own perception of the situation shown in LBT5, then? That's...perfectly in character for her. I suppose who is the oldest doesn't matter in some ways, since we all mature differently. Littlefoot could very well be the youngest and still be the only one with a single lick of common sense.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Gosh, finally. I’ve been trying to come up with something to add to this thread for weeks now. I was just about ready to hang up the towel. Yet, I decided to give the movie one more viewing to see if anything came to mind, and low and behold, I finally found something to add. It’s not profound or anything, but it is something I didn’t see mentioned in this thread yet. I hope I can say this clearly. This is my opinion of why Petrie’s birth was not aired like the others:

At the end of the movie, Petrie exclaimed to his family that he was a flyer. He was indicating that he had gained the ability to fly, not informing his family what species he was. This is made evident by his showing off of his flying ability after he said that. Therefore, when Petrie was with his family before the separation, both he and they knew that he could not fly. In short, if he was shown with his family like the other kids were, viewers would have already known he could not fly, making the discussion he had with Littlefoot and Ducky pointless to viewers. That scene would have lost significance since the information would have already been known.

Now, why didn’t they simply just not make that scene where the kids talked about Petrie’s flying and had his life with his family shown instead? If not for that scene, they may not have bumped into Cera, and bumping into her was a big plot development. Littlefoot started running to help Petrie start flying, then ran into her. Therefore, the scene where Petrie explained his problem needed to be there in order to lead up to that run. Now, the writers probably didn’t want the discussion of Petrie’s inability to fly being repetitive, but needed the scene to exist, so simply did not add his association with his family prior to that scene. Without Petrie’s explanation of being unable to fly, Littlefoot would have had no need to start running off when he did, which is how all formed a group.

Now, you may be thinking, “Hey, it takes a while for any flyer to learn to fly. They could have easily shown his birth without getting into the time period where he should know how to fly.” Well, this takes me into further speculation about the song during the ending credits of The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure. The scene shows several hatchlings moving about. Baby three horns, baby swimmers, even a baby spike tail. Now, as they are showing these off, they show tiny flyers flying into the distance. They must be babies too, because why would they show babies of three species then show older flyers? The flyers must be babies too. Based off of this, I believe that flyers learn their aerial movement ability just shortly after hatching in the Land Before Time universe. Therefore, were baby Petrie given air time of his hatching and shortly afterwards like with the others, his inability to fly would have surfaced quickly.

In conclusion, I feel that they just needed a scene to get the kids together in one group and wanted to make sure it didn’t have anything in it that viewers already knew. Well, I hope weeks of brainstorming hasn’t produced stupid fruit. This post is my best effort of trying to analyze this, so if this explanation is out of place in any way, I’m clueless, sorry.

Bruton the Iguanodon

At the end of the movie, Petrie exclaimed to his family that he was a flyer. He was indicating that he had gained the ability to fly, not informing his family what species he was.

Why would he be telling him that? I thought what he was trying to say was clear

Now, you may be thinking, “Hey, it takes a while for any flyer to learn to fly. They could have easily shown his birth without getting into the time period where he should know how to fly.” Well, this takes me into further speculation about the song during the ending credits of The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure. The scene shows several hatchlings moving about. Baby three horns, baby swimmers, even a baby spike tail. Now, as they are showing these off, they show tiny flyers flying into the distance. They must be babies too, because why would they show babies of three species then show older flyers? The flyers must be babies too. Based off of this, I believe that flyers learn their aerial movement ability just shortly after hatching in the Land Before Time universe. Therefore, were baby Petrie given air time of his hatching and shortly afterwards like with the others, his inability to fly would have surfaced quickly.

What was with all those hatchlings at the end of movie 2? I mean, we all know Ducky had a bunch of unhatched siblings, but what's with the baby threehorns? It looks like Cera's sisters somehow made it to the valley after all but never grew up!  :lol  And the baby spiketail? What was with that? MarzGurl, in her review, is like, "Are u seriouly insinuating that Spike has a younger sibling?!?!"  I know, it makes little sense.

As for the flyers flying off into the distance, they are almost certainly babies, I believe we even get a close look at them in the final shot as everyone runs forward. Plus, we know baby flyers can fly already, from the scene with some fighting over a cherry in 1, and 3 who make a cameo in "Grandma's lullaby" (I like the think the one who didn't go home immediately, but just looked sad, was the one who offered Littlefoot his cherry in 1), as well as the one in "Flip Flap and Fly", who, I believe, flies just moments after his birth.

The big question is, if there's a bunch of hatchlings around who theorectically aren't siblings to Cera, Spike and Petrie, where are the baby longnecks? Oh well, we see some in movie 9.  ;)

By the way, if we ever do get the extended cut of the film, I hope Petrie's birth is in it!  :D

Even in the books, Petrie's hatching is never mentioned.

Wait I've never read the books and have no method of doing so unless I buy them but I'm not going to but does that mean it's was definitely never in?

Well, the "Great Migration" piece doesn't have any cuts in it so I suppose it never was.

Bruton the Iguanodon

How much you wanna bet the missing footage provides a few answers?

Oh yeah.  :smile

Here's what I hope it would answer:

Why Spike seems so big when he steps out of the grass
Why Petrie was left behind
What happened to Petrie's dad
Why Petrie was a black flyer in his first moments onscreen
How Littlefoot and his mom got seperated in the earthshake
How they escaped from the tar
How Petrie escaped from the sharptooth
and, of course, what happened to Cera's mom and sisters.

Can't believe these are still mysteries after all these years!

Could it be that he's much older than the others, or maybe just a hatchling like Spike?

Is Spike a hatchling? Cause from the looks of it, when he stepped out of the grass, he grew up to the age of the rest. Or maybe he just looks bigger then and the real size change comes in the next scene, which could take place days later for all we know.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm...I think you might be looking a bit too deeply for meaning in some of those scenes;

How Petrie escaped from the sharptooth
I doubt this is a missing scene; it's an old film cliche, a character making a miraculous escape at the last minute - same thing happens in Indiana Jones 3 when the tank goes off the cliff. You think Indy must have died, then without any indication how, he climbs up the side alive.

To speculate, Petrie's dripping wet when he climbs back up, so we know he got out when Sharptooth fell into the water. Come to think of it, the large rock falling onto Sharptooth's belly in the water probably knocked the wind out of Sharptooth, and as such caused him to loosen his grip on Petrie; who was forced to climb back up since he wouldn't be able to fly with wet wings.

Why Spike seems so big when he steps out of the grass
Why Petrie was a black flyer in his first moments onscreen

Nah, that'll just be a continuity error - more likely, the animators intentionally sized Spike up quickly lest he be very tiny for the whole film. As for Petrie being black in his first appearance, it's more likely they intentionally did that so it wasn't clear what Petrie was when he fell on Littlefoot, so he could seem scary, and then be "unmasked" (alternatively, it is an old cartoon; and the colours aren't always consistent).

Why Petrie was left behind
You might as well ask why/how Ducky or Spike were left behind. We don't need to know; Ducky sums up that she "lost her family in the big earthshake", and that's all we need to know; we can assume the same applies for the others. It is odd that Petrie's mother wouldn't come looking for him, but this is probably just a mistake in the story that nobody thought about.

When you consider all of the parents on the other side effectively abandoned their kids and continued on to the Valley, it's likely that she thought he was dead (we know they were working together not long afterwards; why didn't they get the flyers of the group to go across the divide and search for their lost kids?). In fact, I think there was a post about this somewhere else; I know I speculated he could have fallen from his nest in the earthshake and become lost, and his mother could have returned after the earthshake and failed to find him, and was forced to move on, meaning that by the time Petrie found his way back to his nest - the tree - he had little other option but to climb it and hope his mother would come back.

What happened to Petrie's dad
Since he's never mentioned in the story at all, I doubt he was ever meant to be a character. It was probably just an idea someone came up with that he didn't have a father at the end. Besides, the only way you could work this in without having a scene at the end where his mother tells him his father is dead would be for him to have died during the earthquake; perhaps protecting Petrie. But there's no indication for this in the story or the soundtrack, it would add little to Petrie's character and it takes away from the emotional impact of the death of Littlefoot's mother.

How they escaped from the tar
There could have been a scene for this, but there's no indication for it in the music - this bit is the same on the CD and in the film. Besides, it's likely that it's intentional; to show the characters escaping from the tar means the audience doesn't get the emotion of shock when the "Tar Monster" arrives and is then revealed to be the main characters.

How Littlefoot and his mom got seperated in the earthshake
Hmm...that is an odd one, but again, there's no indication for it in the music. And besides, why would they have cut this or a scene where they get out of the tar? We know they only cut scenes considered too disturbing (and potentially that bit in the story with the two racist groups of duckbills); what would either of these scenes have done to warrant a cut? Likely the audience is just meant to think they got additionally scattered when the earthquake continued.

and, of course, what happened to Cera's mom and sisters.
I don't think this was a scene in the original film; for one, where would it fit in to the story? They'd either have to show part of the parents' journey (which wouldn't suit the film's story), show them dying in the Earthquake (which we know didn't happen) or being found dead later on (which would have changed the last scenes of the film completely), or awkwardly work in a line when Cera finds her father, which would have killed the scene.

I think we can blame the sequels for this one. It's not said in the original film that any of Cera's family are dead; we simply only see her reuniting with her father (with another Threehorn visible nearby when we cut to Littlefoot), and so it could be that when the second film was made, the story-writers didn't bother to work Cera's mother (aside from potentially a brief cameo when the parents rush to rescue them from drowning) or siblings (again, also potentially shown at the ending), and by the time the third film came around, they decided to abandon those characters completely and continue without explanation. Compare how Ducky's father vanishes after the fifth film; presumably since he didn't add anything to the story, the storywriters decided to drop him and make Ducky's mother a solo parent (then the fans come along and conclude he could have died on the way back to the Valley after the events of the fifth film).

Bruton the Iguanodon

Is there a gap for when Ducky and Spike fell into the lava? We never saw how that happened either?

Your explanation of why Spike is suddenly so big is just odd. What's wrong with him being a baby when Ducky and Petrie are that size?

And Petrie being drawn a black flyer was intentional?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Is there a gap for when Ducky and Spike fell into the lava? We never saw how that happened either?

No gap; Track 6 (The Rescue/The Discovery of the Great Valley) opens with Cera leading the others, then after Ducky's line "Spike, we must stick together!" cuts to Littlefoot being led by his mother's spirit to the Great Valley, before there's a different track of music (Littlefoot turning back for them; a cut scene), and then it goes back to Cera, and Petrie falling into the tar.

It would seem then that we didn't get to see Ducky and Spike get stranded; in both the original and final versions of the film, we're simply supposed to figure that they both got stranded at some point.

On the other hand...didn't one person suggest (or have a line from the storybook suggesting) that Ducky and Spike became surrounded by lava after stopping?

Your explanation of why Spike is suddenly so big is just odd. What's wrong with him being a baby when Ducky and Petrie are that size?

It is odd, but there's no evidence of another scene there; Spike's birth appears to be the same in the storybook, except afterwards Littlefoot and the others find Ducky, and she introduces Spike to them, only for Cera to suggest they leave him behind as he'll eat a lot; the others ignore this, and they wake him and lure him with berries on a stick, which then fades into the "There had never been such a herd before" scene. Annoyingly, the music from this scene (and quite a few scenes from this one to Littlefoot and Cera's fight) is not on the soundtrack, so we can't use that as a guide.

Perhaps the animators just got the scale wrong, or they drew Spike smaller than normal for the hatching so that Ducky would fit in the scene, and then hoped people wouldn't notice the size change (or perhaps they hoped people would assume he got bigger from eating all the food around his nest; which is what I always assumed). Either way, there's not really any scene that would fit between the hatching and the eating to explain the size differences, so it's either a goof or an intentional error.

And Petrie being drawn a black flyer was intentional?
Yup. Either a goof or an intentional error, or a stylish colouration. Characters do change colour throughout the film; Littlefoot is orange for parts of the film, Mr. Threehorn is pink at the end, etc. I still think it was done so that the audience wouldn't know what Petrie was at first.

Bruton the Iguanodon

There's only about 2 minutes of cut music on the track though, compared to the 30 that didn't make it into the film, so we shouldn't base it all on the soundtrack.

And what did happen to all that missing music?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
True, a soundtrack doesn't always match the film - look at the Titanic soundtrack (also by James Horner); there's plenty of stuff there that got cut from the film that doesn't appear to fit at all - but it's the best guide we have so far; that and the book.

As for the "Lost Track", as I call it, it might have been recorded at a later point? I know there's a mention in the credits about "additional recordings". In any case, some of it is edited versions of other tracks. However, some things - such as the horn that plays for scenes involving Spike - are completely new.

For a guide, see this page;
Lost Track Analysis
Complete Soundtrack Analysis

Bruton the Iguanodon

So is it possible it originally did show things like the gang escaping from the tar, Littlefoot and his mother being seperated in the earthshake, and Ducky and Spike nearly falling into the lava?

Perhaps the animators just got the scale wrong, or they drew Spike smaller than normal for the hatching so that Ducky would fit in the scene, and then hoped people wouldn't notice the size change (or perhaps they hoped people would assume he got bigger from eating all the food around his nest; which is what I always assumed).

Nope, we see him as he eats it after poking his head out and doesn't grow any bigger.

So it's possible the size Spike's been all this time is actually the size a baby spiketail should be, and he only looked smaller when he hatched? Doesn't seem likely.

I want to know what went on in the grass  :anger Why did they have to shoot it from outside for the 7 seconds before he came out? Obviously something important happened in those 7 seconds!!

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
So is it possible it originally did show things like the gang escaping from the tar, Littlefoot and his mother being seperated in the earthshake, and Ducky and Spike nearly falling into the lava?

For the reasons I stated above, I consider it highly unlikely that they were scenes.

Compare Littlefoot's birth; his egg gets scattered some distance from his nest, and yet his mother and herd are able to catch up with him (admittedly, they are insanely huge, so the egg wouldn't be too far away for them). We don't see them going after him in the film, but we assume they did (and there's no place for an extra scene in the music at all; Track 1 is the only track which is the exact same in film and soundtrack), and that's enough information.

This sort of thing is likely what's going on with the scenes you mention. We don't see Littlefoot and his mother get separated, but we see throughout the whole scene the land shifting constantly, so we can assume they were affected by that (or it could be like Bambi, where the kid keeps running and doesn't realise the parent isn't following). We don't see Ducky and Spike getting trapped, we just see them trapped, and assume it happened offscreen during the last scene. We don't see the Gang escaping from the tar, but we see them covered in tar and awkwardly stuck together when they rescue Cera; so we can guess they eventually managed to free themselves.

I want to know what went on in the grass Why did they have to shoot it from outside for the 7 seconds before he came out? Obviously something important happened in those 7 seconds!!

Again, I think you're looking too deeply into things. Spike's size change must be a mistake by the animators and not the leftover of some cut scene; how could they work such a change into the story on such short notice? For him to grow that fast realistically, he'd need to eat lots of food for several weeks, and to do this inbetween the hatching of his egg and his emerging from the clearing, there'd have to be several scenes where Ducky left and foraged for him; at the same time the others looking for her. Such a scene would be far too long, too much of a deviation from the plot, and unnecessary.

Bruton the Iguanodon

For the reasons I stated above, I consider it highly unlikely that they were scenes.

Compare Littlefoot's birth; his egg gets scattered some distance from his nest, and yet his mother and herd are able to catch up with him (admittedly, they are insanely huge, so the egg wouldn't be too far away for them). We don't see them going after him in the film, but we assume they did (and there's no place for an extra scene in the music at all; Track 1 is the only track which is the exact same in film and soundtrack), and that's enough information.

This sort of thing is likely what's going on with the scenes you mention. We don't see Littlefoot and his mother get separated, but we see throughout the whole scene the land shifting constantly, so we can assume they were affected by that (or it could be like Bambi, where the kid keeps running and doesn't realise the parent isn't following). We don't see Ducky and Spike getting trapped, we just see them trapped, and assume it happened offscreen during the last scene. We don't see the Gang escaping from the tar, but we see them covered in tar and awkwardly stuck together when they rescue Cera; so we can guess they eventually managed to free themselves.

But does the lack of gaps in the score mean those scenes don't exist? Because there is only about 4 minutes of extra score, and about 11-30 minutes (sources vary; it was most likely 11) minutes of footage were cut. So it is possible. I mean, despite no gap being present in the soundtrack for it to take place, people have suggested in this topic that Petrie's hatching was part of the original opening sequence...

Bruton the Iguanodon

It starts with a funny scene that shows Ducky. Then you can see Cera, which pretends to be brave but deep inside she is an afraid creature.

Hey...DON'T...CALL CERA...COWARD! She had only just hatched, and was doing her best to be brave. Really, I'm sure her dad is just like this too at times!

At last and as climax you can see the main "hero" Littlefoot, which has to master adverse circumstances during his whole live.

Well don't look at anyone here, you can blame God for that. I didn't force him into any of that.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^But Bruton, Dilopho wasn't refering to you at all. You weren't even a member of this forum when that post was made.

BTW, it's good to have you back. Just relax. Don't be angry.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Thanks. I just don't like that he called Cera a coward.