The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Spam that passed G-Mail filter

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I got an e-mail that strangely got around the G-mail filter.  The interesting thing is that it is the kind of e-mail that would've been either blocked or put into the Spam area.  I decided to take a look at it.

The e-mail at hand was offering me an online deal.  It asked me to subscribe and so that I could get the full information.  Now, this looked suspicious to me so I decided to look up the following address it gave me on Google Maps.

2360 Skylane Blvd. Santa Rosa
72103 Canada

After some research, I found that Skylane Blvd. Santa Rosa Canada is real, but the zip code it gave me was FAKE.

The real zip code for Skylane Blvd. Santa Rosa Canada is actually 95403.

I immediately knew that this was the kind of thing I should just ignore.  I understood how important it was to look for even the smallest detail that was off.  This alerted me and I not only marked it as SPAM but dumped it as well.

I suspect it to be a cracker with some sort of talent for getting around the G-mail filter.  If he knows how to get around the G-mail filter, this could be trouble for us all.

Just giving you guys a heads up.  You'd best stay away from this one.  It could be worse then you think. -_-

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
What's wrong with you?  NEVER open a suspicious email no matter where it's stored unless you like wiping your computer every 5 minutes. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Its pretty easy to spot the fakes.  I wouldn't have opened that.  Every now and then one gets through.  Select it and "report spam" and that's the last time it gets through.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
After some research, I found that Skylane Blvd. Santa Rosa Canada is real, but the zip code it gave me was FAKE.

The real zip code for Skylane Blvd. Santa Rosa Canada is actually 95403.
If it's actually in Canada, it won't have a zip code. :p
We have 6-digit postal codes in Canada. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Is it like the British use, or a different system?  I've no idea what the British use.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is it like the British use, or a different system? I've no idea what the British use.
Every address in Canada has a unique postal code in the format of

X#X - #X#

Letter, Number, Letter - Number, Letter, Number.

For Christmas, kids can send letters to Santa Claus at
H0H - 0H0 and they get letters back. :p It's kinda cute. :lol  :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Seriously, if ya have no idea who the email came from, or if it flat-out looks suspicious, DO NOT OPEN IT!

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Wait, can something happen just by opening an email? I figured it'd be a bad idea to open the attachments or to reply, or to follow a given link, but can you get stuff just from opening it?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Oh yeah.  They can embed active script into emails so the instant you click on it, it can download a file or open popup windows.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Dang. Glad I've got your AVG you recommended. It's been working nicely, by the way. I've gotten nothing but clean bills of health.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Feb 17 2009 on  08:18 AM
Is it like the British use, or a different system? I've no idea what the British use.
Every address in Canada has a unique postal code in the format of

X#X - #X#

Letter, Number, Letter - Number, Letter, Number.

For Christmas, kids can send letters to Santa Claus at
H0H - 0H0 and they get letters back. :p It's kinda cute. :lol  :D
6 digits too eh ?

We got like..

number, number, number, number, letter, letter :p

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Yeah, spam does get through sometimes.  I have a Gmail account but don't use it.  I primarily use Yahoo, and spam occasionally gets through there, too...  No big deal, I can easily spot the fakes since hardly anybody e-mails me.  No problemo. ;)
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I delete suspicious email I also delete email from folks I know online but that have odd subject names or see to be no reason why they emailed me.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, I feel so stupid right now.  Can we just have a mod erase this topic and so that we can pretend it never happened?

Now, if you don't mind, I'll continue doing this: :bang

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Don't do that, it'll give you a headache.  Don't look at it in a negative light, look at as something you learned and you are now wiser then you were before.  As for having an admin erase or lock it you can wait and see if one will notice this thread or you can pm one of the 4 in charge of this section to ask if they will.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Yeah dude, I agree with Kor, 100% on this. ;) All of life is a learning lesson, Pokeplayer. :) There are no stupid questions when all we're trying to do is learn. :yes
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I think others can learn from this if its kept here.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Feb 17 2009 on  10:59 AM
You know, I feel so stupid right now.
I would have made the exact same mistake. You're not alone. :oops

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ran all my scans.  Found some Adware and some bugs.  That's pretty much it.

Looks like I got lucky. :)