The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Big Monitors

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Something that has been on my mind for a while, but I haven't found answers good enough.

I was wondering about big monitors, like the size 20 inch to 24 inch.
How does those big monitors work with resolution?
I'd say something between 1440 x 900 and up to 1900 x 1200?
Will a picture look better on ex. a 24 screen with high resolution, rather than a 20 with not as good? And would one have to stretch a picture out for it to fit, and thereby lose quallity, making the picture look like crap?
My question summed up would be something like; "the relationship between monitor size and screen resolution?"

Would be great if someone could shed some light on this for me! :)

(Sorry if this is somewhat... unclear. I didn't know how to format the question!)  :p
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Sableye

• Spike
    • View Profile
I have a 24" monitor. The resolution is 1900x1200. You can have a lot more programs running without the task bar looking cluttered. Also, because the resolution is better, you'll be able to get a good view of website layouts that require good screen resolutions. Going from a 17" or 19" monitor to a 24" is a big change. It'll be weird a little bit at first because everything will look so big, but eventually you get used to it. Plus, it'll make that 17" monitor look so puny.  :lol

The only thing that I see as a disadvantage is that it's hard to find the 1900x1200 size desktop wallpaper. Sure, you can stretch out the wallpaper that is smaller, but then the picture loses quality.

To answer that one question of yours, the bigger the monitor size, the bigger the resolution can go. If you don't plan on using the top resolution, I see no point in going for a bigger size monitor.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I run a 22 inch for my master machine but frequently connect it to my 32 inch tv.  Larger resolutions do require larger images.  For example, if you have an 1024768 image, that will take up the entire screen on a non wide screen 15 inch monitor, but put that onto a 22 inch and the image will be MUCH smaller.  Try to put that as a background and it'll be blurry as crap.  Higher resolutions and larger monitors are better, but if you've been living with a 15-17 inch for quite a while, it'll take some time to adjust to the higher resolution.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I can bet the GOF doesn't look too good on one of those huge monitors...I do all my work off of a widescreen laptop at 1280x768. :p :o

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I can bet the GOF doesn't look too good on one of those huge monitors...I do all my work off of a widescreen laptop at 1280x768.

Let's just say that the background repeats 4 times on my 22" and 6 times on my 32" :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've noticed with higher resolutions the text seems to look smaller and the same with icons.  I guess any jump in monitor size and resolution takes some getting use to for some folks.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When you want/need more than a 22" display, currently it's smarter to just go buy yourself an HDTV.  You'll get about an extra 10 inches than if you just bought the monitor and you'll get a TV out of the deal as well.

For example, a decent 26" LCD monitor is in the upper range of $800.  When you can get a 32" HDTV from Walmart for only $549, which is the better deal?  It's a no-brainer. :rolleyes:

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 15 2009 on  03:23 PM
I run a 22 inch for my master machine but frequently connect it to my 32 inch tv.  Larger resolutions do require larger images.  For example, if you have an 1024768 image, that will take up the entire screen on a non wide screen 15 inch monitor, but put that onto a 22 inch and the image will be MUCH smaller.  Try to put that as a background and it'll be blurry as crap.  Higher resolutions and larger monitors are better, but if you've been living with a 15-17 inch for quite a while, it'll take some time to adjust to the higher resolution.
the image would only be smaller if the bigger monitor is set to a higher resolution. otherwise, if you had a 26" monitor set to 1024x768, the image will technically be the same size, but the screen will stretch it due to the inch difference. and as LBTL said, it will look horrible.

@ Lillefot: basically the way montiors work on a size-resolution scale, is the bigger screen size you get, the higher native resolution it is going to have.

example, a 17-19" monitor will have a native res of 1440x900, a 22-24 is typically 1680x1050, and 27+ will be 1900x1200.

regarding things like pictures, it will depend on what resolution they were taken in and what resolution your montor is running in. and the higher in res you go, the smaller things become.

for example. say you took a picture at 1440x900, and your monitor was set at that res with 1440x900 as its native. the picture on your PC will fill up the entire screen with no quality loss, as the picture is in exactly the same format as the monitor. on the flip side, if you took one at 1440x900, and your monitor was set to 1900x1200. there would be no quality loss, but the image on your PC would be much smaller, due to the picture res vs montior res. if you then lowered the monitor's res to 1440x900, the image would become blurry and distorted, because the monitor would not be running in its "native" resolution, therefore stretching the image.

"Native" resolution is a specific res set for monitors that LCDs typically only look good in. hence why different size monitors have different native resolutions. you can run a monitor in something other than its native, you will just get a stretched, distorted and bigger image.

CRT monitors do not suffer from this. they will look good in almost any resolution. the downside though is CRTs are huge and bulky, hence why they have become unpopular in favor of LCD/Plasma screens.

and regarding HDTVs. the average HDTV under 40" will run in a native res of 1366x768, unless it is a 1080p screen. this is much smaller than the majority of monitors out there. but it is a much bigger screen size running at that res, so it is quite desirable to use HDTVs as PC monitors.

sorry for the long post. felt like explaining it as best as i can xD

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
and regarding HDTVs. the average HDTV under 40" will run in a native res of 1366x768, unless it is a 1080p screen.

Yeah, but they're trying to stop selling HDTVs with less than 1080p nowadays. :p My 32" has an absolutely gynormous resolution.  I can't remember the exact resolution, but I remember thinking "Holy s***!" :lol