The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Character dicussions?

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I was beginning to wonder if there could be a sub-board for character discussions, with each topic title being a character name. I don't know where to ask this question, but I thought I might as well throw the idea out there in this board, as there are quite a few movie-specific characters (like Bron or Pterano) or groups (all-around discussion about Sharpteeth or like my topic about Pachycephalosaurus) we could talk about. Just an idea.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I suggest for character descriptions to be put here in the sequilitis board rather than creating own boards for them. Of course the discussion of characters can and should include their actions etc. from the original movie and the TV series too, but most of our "source material" for the time being comes from the sequels. While I suppose the discussions can be quite active I'm not sure if they will be lasting enough to justify the creation of an own section for them. Perhaps we can make such discussions sticky topics here in the sequilities section and if indeed the discussions there continue over a longer span of time we could still consider creating an own section for them.  :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmmm.....That would be very interesting!
I very much like this idea but we may have to group a few 'side characters' together because there are so many of them now!  We'll see how it goes.  

If we put it to a vote, I'll say Yes! B)

As for where to put something like this....perhaps a subforum to "The Land Before Time" section

What does everyone else think of this idea?

The fact is, each character could attract a very deep, long, complex discussion.  Grouping them together within other boards would get confusing.

While I suppose the discussions can be quite active I'm not sure if they will be lasting enough to justify the creation of an own section for them.
If each character is given a sticky, that would amount to a very large number of stickies, which would proceed to take over the forum's real-estate.

I actually like the idea of a separate forum.  it would be a way to catalogue and database our discussions.  Once we have a few good responses, the forum will contain a massive amount of data about each character, and can be used as an easy reference in future discussions ("see Littlefoot Discussion topic, 2nd post for details about this topic" for example).  

I will agree that it would expand the number of topics in our forum, and these posts may not see a lot of activity after a short time, at least the data will be there, and it will be easy for any member to add their input whenever they choose, almost like an LBT wikipedia.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279 on  
I suggest for character descriptions to be put here in the sequilitis board rather than creating own boards for them. Of course the discussion of characters can and should include their actions etc. from the original movie and the TV series too, but most of our "source material" for the time being comes from the sequels. While I suppose the discussions can be quite active I'm not sure if they will be lasting enough to justify the creation of an own section for them. Perhaps we can make such discussions sticky topics here in the sequilities section and if indeed the discussions there continue over a longer span of time we could still consider creating an own section for them. :)
Mm, I see your point. Usually, for movie-specific characters, or what I like to call "Dinosaurs of the Day," there won't be a long discussion involved as we just have one movie with them in it, but character depthness varies, and then there are ones like Doc and the Rainbow Faces who are meant to be shrouded in mystery.

EDIT:
Quote from: action9000 on  
As for where to put something like this....perhaps a subforum to "The Land Before Time" section. What does everyone else think of this idea? The fact is, each character could attract a very deep, long, complex discussion. Grouping them together within other boards would get confusing.
I guess all the Sticky topics would make everything a bit crowded...maybe topic 'groups,' such as The Gang of Five, Movie-Specific Characters, TV Show Characters, ect....I don't know. There ARE quite a few characters in the LBT series...

EDIT2:
Oh, that would make sense, about the alternate forum.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I would like to see a unique topic for each character simply because they could get very complex.  The confusion would be a lot heavier if more than one character was being discussed within a single topic.  I have no problem with setting up a subforum in the LBT section for character discussions...with the other admins' approval of course. B)  It seems to me that there isn't a forum dedicated to the characters yet, and a character post just doesn't really *belong* in any of the existing LBT subforums, from a logically-grouping point of view. m Then, of course, you can have too many subforums, I am fully aware of that.  It doesn't feel to me that one more for character discussions would be "too many".  If you disagree, please feel free to post back!

Malte, staff, anyone, do you have any additional thoughts?

Oh, that would make sense, about the alternate forum.
Actually, I was thinking to simply make a subforum in the LBT section of this forum, for character discussions.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I like it...you convinced me to say the least because I didn't think a discussion on a character could go long enough to warrant separate topics.  I'll get us started then any other character can be added.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Actually, I was thinking to simply make a subforum in the LBT section of this forum, for character discussions.
Definitely the best solution :yes
I should have thought of it :slap
Let's see how the threads develope.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
It may be a little late for my imput, but I'm for this idea all the way.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf