The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Our LBT 12 Reviews

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
US Release date confirmed!

It comes out Feb. 27th. I got the information from a commerical when I was watching TV earlier this morning. So for everyone in the US, that is the official date.
Bought it!
Watched it!

Now, what can I say about it....
First, let me say I've only watched it once so my review here is somewhat generic due to my lack of recollection of detailed facts about the film.

First of all, if you saw LBT 11, you may find that this movie feels quite a bit like LBT 11.   Littlefoot's new voice actor is reasonably good, with no complaints from me.  Honestly though, Littlefoot doesn't get a heck of a lot of lines in this movie, which mainly focuses around Petrie (as one would expect).

The story seems to focus on a "bar-mitzfah" so to speak, for the Flyers.  The young ones are to demonstrate their maturity and skillfullness in the air by flying a routine with their fellow flyers. The story contained a couple of sub-plots:

One focused on our new character, Guido, a creature who didn't know who or what he was.  After some experimentation, he was adopted into Petrie's family (temporarily or not, I don't think is certain), despite the fact that he didn't believe he was a flyer.  

Another focused on Cera's relationship with her family after Trisha's egg appeared on the scene.  She felt excluded and unimportant until the end where she discovered that she had a special place in her family, despite her younger sibling.

The main plot appears to be Petrie's preparation for the Day of the Flyers.  Overall, this story seemed fairly typical for a modern LBT film; quite black-and-white (Petrie couldn't do it, then suddenly he could do it perfectly) and with simple themes involved, such as being who you are and being proud of being unique.

While there were a couple of amusing lines (Grumpy Tria: "Did you lay this egg?? :rolleyes: "), the dialog was kept to a minimum between most of the gang.  Petrie and Guido were the main focuses, which is great if you're a Petrie fan.   One thing that came up in this movie that has never been mentioned before now, was that Guido actually took note of Petrie's unique speaking in one scene. Guido was giving advice to Petrie and Petrie repeated the words of wisdom back to Guido, in "Petrie-speak".  Guido nodded with a simple comment, "Close enough!"

One thing that I just have to mention:
Remember back in LBT 11 when we reached a general consensus that "thou shalt not have plant eaters tickling sharpteeth"? :P:
Well.....let's just say that fell through. -_-

After an epic (aka long....) sleepwalking scene starring Guido, the gang ends up in the Mysterious Beyond, of course running into a sharptooth species that none of them had ever seen before.  Guido gets slurped into the sharptooth's mouth almost immediately.
Oh no!  How does he get out of this one!?
Well...he gets the brilliant idea to pluck one of his own feathers (yes, we have another feathered character now) and use them to tickle the mouth of the huge ferocious sharptooth, who proceeds to open his mouth wide (and Keep it open!) allowing his dinner to run free.

While it is *perhaps* in the realm of possibility, this scene does certainly seem questionable.  I will admit though, that the number of questionable scenes were kept significantly lower than LBT 10 or 11, unless somebody can point out some that slipped past me on a first viewing.

LBT 12 didn't have any serious continuity errors.  Everything seemed to make sense with regards to earlier films.  The film, while fairly accurate and dynamic (many characters changed their outlook on their situation and their lives), some characters were kept quite static.

Spike's character was barely used at all in this film.  He blunders a couple of times, forcing the Gang into awkwward situations, but other than that, his role in the movie is very trivial.  Spike seems to almost be disappearing from the series, losing his identity as the "strong silent type" and being used as a more gluttenous dumb-dumb.  I find this to be a bit disappointing, as Spike's character could be made to be very mysterious and interesting, if given the chance.

We see very little of Littlefoot and Ducky in this film, mainly because Petrie and Guido are taking most of the screen time.  When they aren't on screen, Cera's side story is being developed.  I accepted the side story of Cera's family, but I still feel that the idea of an older sibling being ignored while a younger sibling gets All of the attention, was blown a bit out of proportion.  Cera was Literally completely ignored for over half of the movie, unless she was asked to babysit Trisha.  This seemed out of character for both of her caretakers. Even dispite the egg and the newborn, it seemed that some excessive "artistic licence" was used in this side-plot to emphasize the point that Cera was feeling relatively unwanted or unimportant.  I feel that perhaps he friends could have been given a larger role in this side story, to comfort her or help her.  Unfortunately, this side story basically resolved itself in time, when Cera was able to rescue Trisha from a Huuuuuuuge fall from the sky....which brings me to another unrealistic moment:

This fall took many seconds to complete.  I have, as a child, dropped things off a 12th story balcony which landed faster than trisha fell to her impending doom.  Trisha must have fallen a good 100m or so, making even a perfect catch a pretty rough landing.  Both Cera and Trisha walked away from this disaster, completely unharmed.  This again, I think was taking 'artistic licence' a bit too far.  They could have simply made the fall shorter to resolve this one.

Overall Story
The story seemed to reach a bit farther than the last LBT film, bringing in a few side-plots.  I must admit though, for the amount of time this took to produce compared to the last few films, I expected more.  The development was very different from LBT 11.  Instead of using a series of gradual incidents like LBT 11 (the multiple encounters with the tiny longnecks, the multiple encounters with Tria, etc.), LBT 12 seemed to work on using fewer events, each of which had more effect on the storyline.  LBT 12 seemed to be, for the most part, an "all or nothing" kind of story line.  Cera's caregivers wouldn't listen to her, then suddenly they did.  Petrie felt like he Had to be part of the group, then suddenly (near the end)felt it was best to be himself.  Either the problem was solved, or it wasn't.  Petrie couldn't fly his routine, then suddenly he could.  Guido wasn't asked to fly by Petrie in a VERY opportune moment (when they were being chased by the sharptooth) for Whatever reason.  The writers could have developed Guido's flying in this scene as well but chose not to.

New characters
Trisha's character created a unique situation in Cera's family, but unfortunately, this scenario was carried a bit too far.  Cera's relationship with her caregivers struggled throughout the entire film because they simply didn't talk to her or listen to her for most of the film, except when they wanted her to babysit.  I liked the idea of the new baby, but it could have been more interesting than simply "We're focusing all of our attention on the baby and none on you".

Guido is a unique addition; a character who doesn't know who he is, where he came from, or what he's doing there.  I suspect he simply sleepwalked into the Great Valley after many months of drifting away from his birthplace, where he was abandoned in some form or another.  

Sound and Music
The theme music (the opening piano theme) from LBT 11 is used a couple of times throughout the film, as is music from various films, mainly from LBT 5 onward.  The music from LBT 3's fire scene was used a fair bit in this movie in disaster situations.  Overall the music seemed mixed a tad sloppily and there were actually a couple of sound glitches (about 2/3 the way through, you can hear a *click* of the sound turning off and coming back on, as though a new audio track is playing - almost as bad as the timing *beep beep beep* heard in one scene transition on the LBT 4 DVD :p).  No elements of the If We Hold On Together theme were used in the movie.  I think perhaps this music may no longer be licenced to the LBT Development team (but then, the theme was used very briefly in a recent LBT TV episode...).  it's probably too expensive to pay royalties to James Horner to use his 19-year-old music that only the most dedicated fans will feel nostalgia and connection to.
The DVD box claims 5.1 sound but I dont have the setup to prove this at the moment.  It all seems to work fine in 2-channel mode, with no missing dialogue or other problems.

The songs were okay though nothing especially memorable or spectacular.  Flip Flap and Fly is sort of a Theme song for the film, which suits well enough, based on the recent trend that LBT films are taking.  The songs in the series follow suit nicely with the TV series.

The first song, however, I found exceedingly long and not especially interesting.  This is probably my new least-favorite song in the series.  I can't remember what it's called now.

Overall Impression
Did I like the film?
Well, I thought it was marginally better than LBT 11 but it's redeeming qualities were only satisfactory.  The animation was as good (or poor, however you want to say it) as any other LBT film in the past 5 years.  Most of the liquid effects seemed very out-of-place (the title screen iwith the lava is a very clear example of liquid flowing over seemingly nothing, and being pasted into place).

The new ideas, while unique (sleepwalking dinosaurs who repeatedly wander aimlessly to their doom, I couldnt' help being reminded of the classic "Lemmings" games :p) were, again, merely satisfactory.  Everything in the movie fit into what can be accepted as a modern LBT film, however whether that's good or not is up to you.  To me, all the elements were there, but nothing had much of the emotional impact, uplifting spirit or feelgood-ness, found in the earlier films.  I suppose this movie was basically what I expected, deep inside, but it didn't have the individual character or immersive emotions to really hold my interest.

To me, it's more unsatisfactory than good, but if you liked LBT 11 and the new LBT films more than the older LBT films, you may very much enjoy this one.  I would say it's better than LBT 11, but it's in the same realm of movies.
Physically, I'd say better than LBT 11, but I would probably be more likely to watch LBT 11 simply because I enjoyed it more in general.  LBT 12 was good but I couldn't warm up to it very much.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I'll add more to this later, but in the time I have now, i want to mention a few things:

1. Tria is very protective of the egg (to a comical extent), but not as protective when Tricia actually hatches.

2. There appears to be some sort of conflict with Cera here; on onehand, she resents the fact that neither her father nor her stepmother pay much attention to her because of Tricia, but on the other hand, she actually loves Tricia and receives attention from her.

3.Petrie has some impatient, annoying siblings, who I can only hope are his full siblings, not half-siblings like Tricia is to Cera; we never see Petrie's father and when Petrie mentions a "new addition" to the family (a temporary visit by Guido), Petrie's mother says that she is usually the one to make that announcement. So, she's said that to the family at least once before? I know we see her with an egg in the second movie, so it's possible that... well... not everyone in Petrie's family may have the same father. We know that this isn't beyond the realm of possiblity for the series; Cera and Tricia don't have the same mother. Oh, and from the screenshot for chapter 17, we can conclude that Petrie's mother has nine children.

EDIT: It's possible that that egg in the second movie, or some of her children could have been adopted; this would make the situation more... acceptable. I also noticed that many of her children look very different from one another, so much so, it's almost as if they weren't fully related...

Okay, i'm back, now, for the problems:

1. The sleepwalking squence went on for way too long.

2. For some reason, Petrie's siblings have no problem with his individuality at the end of the movie, during the big day, but they have every problem with his individuality during practice, when it isn't as important not to break formation.

3. Not exactly a problem with the movie, but in the 5th episode of the tv series, Cera ends up almost going off of a waterfall, in almost the exact same manner her half-sister did (copied the predicament.)

4. Not really a problem with the action, but they spell Cera's father's name "Toppsie",     in the subtitles, which is inconsistent with the previous film in which it was spelled "Topsy."

5. There isn't much depth to anything in the movie past a certain point. There's some depth involved with Petrie's inability to fly in a perfect formation (but no depth in what has got to be the on of the lamest parent-child conversation in any of these movies.) Compared to Littlefoot's hatching in the first movie, Tricia's hatching is a joke. How can one compare the lameness of "cute hatchling" to "child thrust into a world of danger and death, with the possibility of starvation always hanging over his head." Unless they plan on killing off Tria in the next movie (which would give the series much of it's depth back), there is no way that we will get a sense of the fragility of life and of the inevitability of change, which is, in part, what the first movie was about. Here, we are in an atmosphere in which there is no real danger; we are practically guaranteed of everyone's survival. I know this sounds harsh, but they really should consider killing someone off. Death is as much a part of life as birth is, and it would be one-sided not to show it. That's one of the elements that made the 1st movie so good;it showed that life and death are aspects of the world in which we live, and there's no point in trying to avoid that inescapable fact.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've reviewed this sequel before, however I have some questions about the DVD itself.
What are the extras?
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll let you know when I find my DVD player remote and can actually get to the "Extras" menus :p

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I would have to agree with action9000 here. To be perfectly frank, the latest LBT sequels haven't been up to snuff at all. You want my thoughts on the film, just reread action's post, it doesn't get any closer to my thoughts than that.

Perhaps its time for the LBT series to have another change in filmmakers.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf