The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Added smilies.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
My first images with the green backgrounds are technically animated. However, they don't loop, and there appear to be speed issues and pausing with the original ones. And, of course, they aren't transparent. Anyone who has a program that can check the speed and pause numbers for the original images can do so with my images and make them transparent, as well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Your images are not animated at all.  They have one frame in them.  You can't make multiple frames from one frame!  Just because it's a gif doesn't mean it's animated.  It just is the standard animation format because it only supports up to 216 colors and is easier on the computer.  This is a gif image, but it's not animated, just like your smilies:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
If you open my images in any standard GIF program (besides MS Paint or Photoshop), you'll find that they are animated and have multiple frames, but they just don't loop. Put the image URLs into your broswer and constantly refresh the web pages after they finish to see what I mean.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
when I open it in image ready (a very expensive program mind you), it only shows one frame.  I can't open the image in any other program either.  It says it's not a valid or supported format.  Strange. :huh:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Well no matter, tails did what you asked for Manny.  They match fine on my screen.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry, I think I've been confusing y'all with my yabberin'. I'll try to explain. With all of the attempts I've seen to clean up the originals, including Tails_155's attempt, the white pixels were removed. Doing it like that still leaves some rough edges that can't be removed, but what I did was create a completely blank smiley face from the  <_<  :)  -_- smilies and put the stuff from the originals onto my blank faces, which results in zero white edges. And, about my GIFs not working, I just uploaded the original BMP files, organized and numbered in order of their frame appearances.
http://cbastudios.profusehost.net/in_smilies.zip
Mabey those will work, landbeforetimelover.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I don't get what is wrong with tails' contribution.  Unless you're using tv resolution on your computer, there's nothing visibly wrong.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
yea I dunno what you mean... and LBTL your new sig is rather large

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tails_155,Nov 1 2007 on  04:14 PM
yea I dunno what you mean... and LBTL your new sig is rather large
The edges still look a little rough, probably from manually removing the pixels or by running the frames through a program of some sort to automatically remove them.

Right now, I'm trying to string something together so I can animate my versions to the exact specifications of the current versions. I'll let y'all know when I'm done.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
go for it, if you can get them to work, more power to ya!

what'd you think of my would-be envelopes for the fora?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tails_155,Nov 1 2007 on  04:31 PM
what'd you think of my would-be envelopes for the fora?
I'm assume you're addressing me and that you made those yourself. I actually think they look real spiffy. The also remind me of treestars (this was probably done deliberately by you, though :lol: ). I don't know what they'd get used for on this site, but they still look good.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have all the necessary ones, they are Treestars, I made them, and I took the idea from the background, the ones with water are "new" posts

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Huh. I've never seen them in use on the site.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Right now all images are fine the way they are.  We'll keep the treestars in mind if there's ever a need for something like that (who knows).

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I'm going to post it off, anyway, just to see how they compare. Here are my finished ones next to the old ones.
 :)

:yes  :bang  :cry2

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have several more, that's not a full set :p they were kinda fun to make (I made them from scratch, probably one of my bests)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I reuploaded them with higher quality, but you may need to refresh your browser windows to get the new pictures.

Now, I've came across a problem. I downloaded the Adobe Fireworks trial to make these. These smilies look absolutely great on Firefox (or, really, any image editing program I've loaded them into), but the nodding yes and crying smilies have an issue on Internet Explorer where the entire far-right column of pixels appear transparent. This doesn't show up on Firefox or any other image editing programs I load them into. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, if anything?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@ tails:  If you used the fireworks trial, you made second generation png's/gif's.  These are not supported by browsers IE6 (which a lot of people still have, including me.) and before.  It will work in most firefox and other browsers, but IE6's lack of support for the second generation images is a real concern for web designers like me.  I have to do almost all my work in photoshop CS2 instead of CS3 in order to make my website images compatible with IE6.  Images made in any programs newer than the year 2003 save in a second generation of the image, making it incompatible with IE6.  The only image formats that are made in newer programs that are still compatible with the old IE6 are JPEG, BMP, and TIFF(who uses that anymore? :lol )

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 3 2007 on  07:16 AM
@ tails:  If you used the fireworks trial, you made second generation png's/gif's.  These are not supported by browsers IE6 (which a lot of people still have, including me.) and before.  It will work in most firefox and other browsers, but IE6's lack of support for the second generation images is a real concern for web designers like me.  I have to do almost all my work in photoshop CS2 instead of CS3 in order to make my website images compatible with IE6.  Images made in any programs newer than the year 2003 save in a second generation of the image, making it incompatible with IE6.  The only image formats that are made in newer programs that are still compatible with the old IE6 are JPEG, BMP, and TIFF(who uses that anymore? :lol )
Erm... landbeforetimelover, I think you meant to address me. :blink: Anyway, the deal where the entire far-right column of pixels dissapear actually happens on IE 7, as well, but not on Firefox 2 or on any image editing program I load them into.