The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The internet could fail in 2010

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Nov 26 2007 on  12:49 AM
I guess there will be "internet rationing" in which people can only go on for a few hours a day in order to relieve the strain on the system. Not that this is likely to happen...
That's believable.  Can't meet demand, so limit how much each takes of the internet pie.  Did that in the 70s for gas.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I could see that.  Folks did that in the 70's as the person ahead if me said.  Don't they do that in California, or did, for electricity?  At least till, if possible, they are able to bring in more tech to help with the problem.   I read in a magazine, a while ago and forgot which one, about one guy who's idea for internet 2.0 was having a satellite in geosynchronous orbit above each major city in the world.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I just read the article and that is a scary thought, I enjoy the internet far to much to see it crash due to a lack of space, but I am glad to hear that they are changing the way the servers work and operate for the better!

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wait, so what's the issue here? People are downloading too much or there isn't enough space to put stuff in?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would be in quite some trouble if the internet suddenly went down.  I mean, there's tons I do on the net.  My gaming skills owe alot to the internet.  I really don't think I'd be so good at the games without it.

Not to mention the millions of people who write the billions of stories on fanfiction.net would have little to do. (There are many "good" stories on there that I enjoy reading in my spare time.)

For me, it would be back to playing games for hours upon hours when I have nothing to do all day.

On-line companies would be in the biggest of trouble if this happens.  I bet they're doing everything possible to either find a way around it or make the possible money investment to keep the internet going.

I'd hate to see the internet go.  It's helped shape the person I am today.  I would sorely miss it. :(

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Nov 26 2007 on  07:56 AM
I would be in quite some trouble if the internet suddenly went down.  I mean, there's tons I do on the net.  My gaming skills owe alot to the internet.  I really don't think I'd be so good at the games without it.
I'm actually in this position, as well. GameFAQs has bailed me out on a lot of nasty situations. I would lose a valuable resource, but, like I said, I made do without it for years and I could do so once again. The whole rationing thing, however, might no go over well with students who go to college online....

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
They won't ration it, they'll just jack the price up so freaking high and charge you per minute you're on.  That'll get a lot of strain off the system. <_<