The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My attempts to make an LBT flash game

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I've done video/website work in flash for a long time, and recently I've wanted to try to make a game in Flash. I've done some of the basics on other projects, but I figure a simple LBT platformer will make for a good learning basis. So here's the start of my little game (this is only a few minutes' work)...borrowed some code from an earlier script. In ActionScript 3, getting the character to move without a key delay was tough but I did eventually pull it off, only to find that there is some kind of lag that I can't immediately diagnose. Here's the link to it (if uploading a swf to the forum is somehow possible let me know! :))

http://megaswf.com/view/cf7855fc5166574c77...458235c802.html

If anyone knows actionscript and can offer help or just has a suggestion or just wants to remind me that it's terrible, please comment! :)

EDIT: Goodness am I silly! Control with the arrow keys.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
There was a flash tag for forums, but I think the forum had to have a patch or an update, or something like that, I can't remember.

[flash width=468 height=60]http://www.URL_TO_SIG.swf[/flash]

Something like that. I don't know, I got it off of some tech forum.

P.S. Make him jump next. :]

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Looks pretty good for just a single character in a white void. Reminds me of the Gameboy games, which actually weren't that bad. Keep up the good work!

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 4 2009 on  10:01 PM
Looks pretty good for just a single character in a white void. Reminds me of the Gameboy games, which actually weren't that bad. Keep up the good work!
Thank you! :) I think the sprites I'm using are from the first GBA game.

@Alex Jumping is definitely on the to do list. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm going to be studying flash website making but I might take this up too.  It's all time and work.....both of which are commodities I don't have in abundance anymore. :(

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Haha cool! :p

I stopped with Flash stuff before I ever got to coding in it (just did a few silly videos back in high school as assignments).  I hope you're having a good time with Flash and I'd just like to say, I don't feel any input lag at all on my computer in your game. :)  And believe me, I'm pretty sensitive to input lag. :p

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replys. :) The lag only starts if you make Littlefoot run all the way across the screen 3 or 4 times. I added some onto it already, but as with other flash projects the mundane process of trying to fix every bug created by ActionScript is starting to wear on me. I fear that my flash ambitions will soon be replaced by more rewarding projects.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've noticed the lag too but that's okay, awesome job so far haha :)