The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New kind of RP

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I was browsing the role play section, and came up with the idea, if we have character role plays, why not have war role plays, where players control factions, and find ways to overpower their enemy, like a real time strategy game. This is just an idea, so tell me what you think.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
That sounds kind of complicated for a game, though I love playing strategy games.  It'll take a lot of rules, set "pieces" with specific stats, a scoring and point system, and an unbiased "Dungeon Master" in charge.  I think it could be turn-based rather than real-time, especially on the forums.

But I am intrigued for this to be debated further.

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,Aug 2 2012 on  03:52 AM
That sounds kind of complicated for a game, though I love playing strategy games.  It'll take a lot of rules, set "pieces" with specific stats, a scoring and point system, and an unbiased "Dungeon Master" in charge.  I think it could be turn-based rather than real-time, especially on the forums.

But I am intrigued for this to be debated further.
Yeah its turn based, but there will be a guide at the top of every game. Basically, there are 5 units you can choose from, Artillery, Infantry, Armor(Tanks), Aircraft, Navy. Vehicles are able to take down infantry, but if their is a full army of them(15 pieces) then they can get overwhelmed, albeit with heavy casualties to the infantry, so it is a good idea to make integrated armies.

You can also add 3 divisions of pieces in a turn, and either amass them in armies, or use them as small strike forces. The maximum army can include 15 divisions. Strategy is a good way to win a battle with few casualties.

Their are rules that they must follow though:

If an entire army is destroyed, and the opponent has a direct route to their capital, and they take it, then the player is out of the game, and can't rejoin, but can join other games.

Here is a list of countries to choose from

United States(Chomper98)
Great Britain
France
Spain
Germany
Japan
China
Confederate States
Russia(f-22 "raptor" ace)
Athens(Mirumoto Kenjiro)
Sparta
Italy
Assyria
Babylonia
Egypt
Netherlands

There's no specific timezone, so all these countries exist at the same time, and can conquer eachother.

This is still just a possible version of the game, so let me know of ways to improve. Thanks.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
You got my interests even further...

Also, there needs to be a scoring system for the chance of success or failure in combat, damage on one type against another, critical damage, difficulties of one type against another (i.e. like what you said with infantry against tanks), distance, range & accuracy.  Like if our Game Master should use a dice or some other random scoring piece to do all of that.

As for the 5 unit categories, should there also be sub-categories, since there could be different types of each unit?  Infantry, for example, could come as Riflemen & Anti-Tank (with better chances against Armor), and Armor or Navy could come with units that specialize against Aircraft.

Oh. and don't forget terrain and weather.  Those are big deciding factors in strategic warfare.

All that aside for now, I want the Athenian faction, and I could find ways to make them from ancient Greece to 2100's era... :smile

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,Aug 2 2012 on  05:54 PM
You got my interests even further...

Also, there needs to be a scoring system for the chance of success or failure in combat, damage on one type against another, critical damage, difficulties of one type against another (i.e. like what you said with infantry against tanks), distance, range & accuracy. Like if our Game Master should use a dice or some other random scoring piece to do all of that.

As for the 5 unit categories, should there also be sub-categories, since there could be different types of each unit? Infantry, for example, could come as Riflemen & Anti-Tank (with better chances against Armor), and Armor or Navy could come with units that specialize against Aircraft.

Oh. and don't forget terrain and weather. Those are big deciding factors in strategic warfare.

All that aside for now, I want the Athenian faction, and I could find ways to make them from ancient Greece to 2100's era... :smile
Okay, thanks for giving me more information, and I'll integrate those, so here are the sub-classes

Infantry: Rifleman, Officer, Anti-Tank soldier, Machine Gunner

Tank: Light Tank, Medium Tank, Heavy Tank, Flame-thrower

Aircraft: Fighter, Bomber, Naval, Helicopter

Navy: Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship, Aircraft Carrier

Artillery: Mortar, Heavy Artillery, Multi Rocket Artillery(shoots many rockets at once)

And each player is in control of a single nation, and that is for all the games unless you want to change.

Weather is determined by season.

Summer is hot, with little rain, so is good for invasion, but not campaigns, Spring is rainy, and temperate, so its good only for certain battles, Fall is temperate, dry, so best time for campaigns, Winter is cold, and so is not good for any type of warfare.

The percentage of who wins must be considered by a moderator, or game-master, who takes into account the number of tanks, troops, artillery, weather, and terrain to decide who wins, he must be unbiased!

There are also types of battles that can be chosen, trench warfare, guerilla, and maps. But its not just a war-game, you can form alliances with other players, or trade routes.

Tell me how I can improve this.

But here's a list of what we can do:

WARFARE
Declaration of war, you can declare war on other players, although it's recommended that you prepare for war.
Planning, form a plan for how to subdue the enemy.
DIPLOMACY
Ask for a trade route
Send an embassy in
Sign a non-aggression pact
Form an alliance
Colonization
Colonize unclaimed territories
Take over enemy territories

MAP

This is something that is added everytime a major event occurs, the main map is on the very top of the game, and changes when someone does something important. Ex: America sets up a colony in North Africa, or, Germany declares war on Sparta. When wars occur, the two sides with all participating belligerents in two colors, to show the different size.

LEADERS
Leaders are the players in control of the nation their playing as, and incharge of their country's ingame affairs.

United States(Chomper98)
Great Britain
France
Spain
Germany
Japan
China
Confederate States
Russia
Athens(Mirumoto Kenjiro)
Sparta
Italy
Assyria
Babylonia
Egypt
Netherlands

Just let me know what country you want to be. This role-play will start as soon as we find a moderator or game-master. I will also make a map of this.

Sorry for the badly drawn map, I don't have a scanner, and I will try to make a better map for the game later. But here it is right now.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Here's a couple more to talk about:  Logistics and resources.  No nation can ever manage an army without food, oil, ores, and money.  So we also have a set-up of what resources our countries have, plus the income out of trade with other nations.  And for logistics, you can add non-combatant units such as medics, supply trucks, transport aircraft and ships.  Also, should we have the set-up of bases, fortresses, and other installations with obstacles and defenses, like mines & towers?

As for weather, it's not really that simple to generalize weather by season alone.  Where I live in the west USA, summers are hot and stormy and winters are cold, dry, and windy for which many other regions in the USA alone can be completely different.

For another option in warfare, we could add "Influence the progress of a lesser nation", like what went on in the Cold War between NATO & Russia, to today.

ONE MORE THING!  I have a few more countries to contribute:  The Norse (Sweden, Norway, & Finland), Brazil, Mexico, and India.  Maybe we should add an African nation in there too, like the Zulu tribes.

Just one more question.  What's to be the time-era of these wargames?

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Thanks Mirumoto, I will add that, and so that weather occurs, we should have the moderator control the weather. For the logistics, every 2 turns you get 10,000 ingame dollars to spend, so that no one emerges as a world power super fast. The logistics unit is good, and basesa are, so we'll add those. I'll make a list of all the major parts of gameplay, and we need a moderator. The era is cold war technology level, hence battleships, tanks, aircraft, and so on, but civilizations arise when a player joins in.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
OK, so we can have accounts to use to buy new stuff from our own countries or perhaps from other countries?

I'll be getting to work on my list of Athenian units!  I guess that means my territory would be southern Greece, maybe Crete and the other islands?

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,Aug 2 2012 on  09:48 PM
OK, so we can have accounts to use to buy new stuff from our own countries or perhaps from other countries?

I'll be getting to work on my list of Athenian units!  I guess that means my territory would be southern Greece, maybe Crete and the other islands?
Aye. I guess we could start the rp soon, just need a moderator.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
That, and a few more players.

And how do we set up our unit stats?  Defense, movement, range, strengths/weaknesses against other unit types, and all that jazz?  

I play Axis & Allies miniatures, so forgive me if I go 200 questions on you.

EDIT:  I made a mistake in territory.  I found Sparta to be southwest of Athens.  So instead, I'd like my territories to be east Greece, Macedonia, and the islands of the Aegean Sea.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,Aug 2 2012 on  11:32 PM
That, and a few more players.

And how do we set up our unit stats?  Defense, movement, range, strengths/weaknesses against other unit types, and all that jazz? 

I play Axis & Allies miniatures, so forgive me if I go 200 questions on you.

EDIT:  I made a mistake in territory.  I found Sparta to be southwest of Athens.  So instead, I'd like my territories to be east Greece, Macedonia, and the islands of the Aegean Sea.
Some units, such as flamethrowing tanks, Machine Gunners, and Anti Tank soldiers are add-ons to main units, so they cost less to build.

Here are the units and their stats

100$ Rifleman: Strong against Rifleman, Weak Against Tanks, Artillery, Bomber
50$ Officer: Strong against Rifleman, Weak Against Tanks, Artillery, Bomber
25$ Machine Gunner: Strong against Infantry, Weak Against Tanks, Artillery
50$ Anti Tank: Strong against Tanks, Artillery, Weak Against Infantry

800$ Light Tank: Strong against Infantry, Weak Against heavier Tanks, Artillery, Anti Tank
1200$  Medium Tank: Strong against Lighter Tanks, Infant, Weak Against Artillery, Anti Tank
!400$ Heavy Tank: Strong against Infantry, Lighter Tanks, Weak Against Artillery, Anti Tank
1000$ Flamethrower Tank: Strong against Artillery, Infantry, Weak Against Tanks

500$ Mortar: Strong against Infantry, Weak Against Tanks, Heavier Artillery
100$ Heavy Artillery: Strong against Infantry, Tanks, Weak Against Bombers, Flamethrowers

2000$ Frigate: Strong against Aircraft, Frigate, Aircraft Carrier, Weak Against Destroyer, Battleship, Cruiser
3000$ Destroyer: Strong against Frigate, Cruiser, Weak Against Battleship
3500$ Cruiser: Strong against Destroyer, Weak Against Battleship
5000$ Battleship: Strong against Frigate, Cruiser, Destroyer, Aircraft Carrier, Weak Against bombers
6000$ Aircraft Carriers: Strong against Aircraft, Weak Against Battleship, Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser
Submarinehttp: Strong Against Navy, weak against Aircraft

300$ Fighter: Strong against Fighter, Bomber, Naval, Weak Against Frigate
500$ Bomber: Strong against Navy, Tanks, Infantry, Artillery, Weak Against Fighters
600$ Naval: Strong against Navy, Weak Against Fighters
700$ Helicopter: Strong against Infantry, Weak Against Frigate, Fighter

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Aug 3 2012 on  12:10 AM
hmm I might take part.
Okay, just tell me what nation you would like to be, although United States and Athens have been taken, choose another country. We won't be ready until I have the complete gameplay and unit functions.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chomper98,Aug 3 2012 on  12:46 AM
hmm I might take part.
Okay, just tell me what nation you would like to be, although United States and Athens have been taken, choose another country. We won't be ready until I have the complete gameplay and unit functions.
Russia

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Aug 3 2012 on  12:51 AM
Quote from: Chomper98,Aug 3 2012 on  12:46 AM
hmm I might take part.
Russia
Sorry about that, I was writing that when you posted choosing Russia, so I know you chose it.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
It's easy for you two to come up with Cold War-era stuff for your countries, since they've actually been around at that time.  I have to make my army up from scratch.  But I'm going along OK so far.  Is it OK to display my list of units when I'm done?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
i noticed you didn't put submarines on the list of units chomper 98.

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Aug 3 2012 on  12:57 PM
OK I'll add that.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chomper98,Aug 3 2012 on  01:21 PM
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Aug 3 2012 on  12:57 PM
OK I'll add that.
and though it's cold war era I think nukes should not be allowed since it would be god modding because the countries you and I are doing are pretty much the only ones who have them. and it would be too easy to have them anyway it. power source wise it would probably be alright but not attack wise.