The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Into the Black

Serris · 1584 · 100168

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Don Stracci paused here, his eyes shifting from left to right as they remained narrowed in that squint he so often wore. "Are you implying..." He began, "that I should somehow assist in your search for this fugitive? Agent Lupis... you should know me better than that. I never mix my family business with government affairs... it's too messy!" he said, waving an unlit cigar in his paw now as he paced through his office. It wasn't anything new though... Lupis was always trying to pressure him to do something or other for the government. "While I provide indirect support... I can't in any good conscience lend my family's extensive resources to something like this. I mean if I were ever linked to you... think of the implications of that." he said, tsking now as he shook his head. "That just won't do! You have my house for one night for your... people. After that, they're on their own. Of course... if I do find anything on this... what did you say her name was? Lily North? I'll be sure to send it your way." he said now.

"Of course..." he paused here, deciding to play the card. "I might be induced to more effectively cooperate if I knew exactly why you're hunting this woman. You know as well as I do your targets aren't always... legit, shall we say? If you could provide me with some details... then maybe I could be persuaded." Bribes were below him. He knew the government's promises weren't worth shit half the time anyway. Lupis didn't have direct authority to give him anything substantial he'd really want, after all, and thus, the don considered his hints of further assistance as empty for the moment. Sure he might be able to deliver on some things, but Don Anthony Stracci didn't trust the government any further than they trusted him.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
There was a pause. "There are only three people other than myself who know the full story behind Ms. Lily North," Lupis said slowly. "I cannot in good faith tell you much. But for your own safety, I can warn you why she is dangerous."

He chose his words very carefully. "Ms. North is unknowingly developing psionic abilities. Until this occurred about a week ago, she was a completely normal housewife, so she has no training and no idea what is happening to her. We've witnessed her possess the minds of others and get them to do her bidding. As we speak, one of your housemaids might be unlocking the back door to your kitchen to let her in, without even realizing they are doing it. She can also predict danger before it occurs; she receives a flash of insight that informs her of her future killer's whereabouts and thoughts, letting her react accordingly. Every time she uses this ability, she gains a little more psionic power and a little less of her sentience. She might have developed new abilities since we were able to study her, I can't say."

He paused. "Anthony...speaking as a friend. Even if you don't help me...keep an eye on Tony. He's trying to get himself involved in all of this, and I don't want to see him get hurt. He's a good kid and he's got a great future ahead of him. But when I found him, he was in an abandoned factory having a shootout with some Purifiers in a biological cleansing hit. I got him away safely, but that isn't where a boy of his stature should be hanging out."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Don Stracci listened to the information relayed to him, committing to his memory all the important details. "I know full well what my son's been doing." he said, looking from left to right again. "I agree fully with you. I intend to keep him close from now on. I thought a little life lesson couldn't hurt... but he's back now."

He smiled to himself, taking a pen from his shirt pocket and clicking it as he wandered over to his desk. "Well Agent Lupis... I do believe we're making progress, as they call it. However... I'd have to say, with all due respect... Ms. North sounds like something your government 'friends' have no business possessing. No one should possess her in fact... that sounds like it would give whoever does... an... unfair advantage, should we say? And you know I'm all about maintaining our status quo." he said kindly.

"However, with that said, you've piqued my interest. Something stood out to me that you mentioned. You said something about her being a housewife... if I'm going to start my own inquiries, I'd like to start with the husband. What can you tell me about him?" Don Stracci asked, his pen hovering over a notepad he had on his desk now.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Mine not to reason why," Lupis replied dryly. "I'm just following orders. And I'm sure you have the resources to find Denny North on your own." Lupis knew that, at least as far as he could tell, Denny was a dead end, so he didn't mind revealing this information. "Thank you for agreeing to house them for one night. They'll be on their best behavior and will keep to themselves. You shouldn't have any trouble at all."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Don Stracci scribbled the name down, interested, but noting that Lupis didn't exactly say he agreed with him, even for "old time's sake." Well that was precisely why Don Stracci was a family based ferret... and not government based. He couldn't rely on these assholes... and Lupis had just proven it, which was the don's real motivation for talking to him anyway. A true friend of the family would've agreed about Lily's condition being too dangerous to merely hand over to the government... oh well. On top of that... he'd gotten his son "out of there?" Bullshit! If that were so, why was it these strangers delivering his son... and not Lupis?

"I'm sure." Don Stracci murmured to Lupis's last bit, and inhaled. "Right... well, I think that about wraps up the initials. Good speaking to you Lupis." the charm was back in his tone. "I'll be in touch. And if you ever get bored pushing pencils... my offer to you still stands!" As he hung up, he gazed at his phone for a moment, then dialed Max. "Mr. Fontana, get me everything you have on a Denny North... spelled like it sounds on both names. No, he's not someone I wish to ice... just get me info on him." He then hung up, and looked up at the ceiling.

Finally... he'd been wanting to fuck with that stiff-assed agent for years. It was a game they'd always play... feigning concern for each other... but Don Stracci's family always came first. Always. Maybe now he could seriously screw with the government... and perhaps even unlock the secrets to Lily's ability himself, in time. But first things first. He'd need to inform his son of the developments, and also let him in on his intentions. Oh this would be good... Lupis's goons wouldn't even realize she was right under their noses! It would be rich when he could finally rub that wolf's nose in that little detail! Right... to business then!

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Always good to talk to you, best wishes," Lupis hung up the phone and rubbed his temples. "Why did the damn Straccis have to get involved in this?" He muttered bitterly.

"Sir?" Agent Extasis had entered the room and was waiting politely for the call to end.

"It better be good news!" snapped the wolf.

"The tracers indicate our marks have split up. From analysis it appears Echo has abandoned Bhat."

"Hmmm. Honestly, she stuck with him longer than I expected. Where are they both headed?"

Extasis handed him a printout of their movements starting with the moment of departure in the Pelvanida parking lot.

"You'll need to fill in for Echo, go find Mr. Bhat," Lupis ordered. "Then head to Stracci manor. I suspect they know more than they're letting on."

"Me?" Extasis looked uncomfortable. "But that means I'll get--"

"It wasn't a request! I don't have time for this!" Lupis tuned his fellow agent out and concentrated on the printout, trying to gauge where Officer Echo was most likely headed.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
'well its a good thing I get to contribute to this little adventure' Marita said , waving off the prause. whatever was going on, she was too involved in it now to back out, same went for Marie And Rose. '' same what item are you going to 'give' to them?" she asked.the others..
- thids sounds like something out of a movel' Marie said ' nah in moveels theres always a dues ex machina to get folks off.. here not so much" marita replied.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Don Stracci showed up a few moments later, Tony noticing his father approach. "Oh... sir." he said, bowing his head a little.

"Got off the phone with Lupis." the don informed them.

"And?" Tony asked hopefully.

"I still don't trust him. But never did to begin with. He told me some things about that woman you're trying to protect though. Things which may or may not be true." He regarded the group now as if he were sizing them up for... something. "First off... she's apparently a latent psionic with the power to control others' minds. This alone sounds incredibly dangerous... and NOT something I'm keen on the government getting their hands on. She can also detect danger to herself before it happens, and can take measures to prevent her own death, but loses more of her sentience every time she does this."

Tony thought a moment about these things. "So... that kind of matches up with what I heard with her. I mean... she was more growling when I last left her... she didn't say anything." Tony shook his head here. "So what did you tell Lupis?"

"I ain't revealing nothing to him. Family first, son." he cracked a slight smile at Tony here. "But I wonder... is this... Lily North even worth protecting? Or even worth keeping alive, for that matter? Control others' minds? That doesn't sound very... safe... though of course, he didn't really comment on her personality. If she's an OK individual... the ability to control others' minds isn't so dangerous... is it?" he asked now, spreading his arms. "But if she can't control it all... then... who's to say what could happen? Provided of course his story's true. It's hard to separate the bullshit from reality a lot of the time." he grumbled.

(runner up)
(runner up)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
When Tony told them what condition Lily was in, Axel sagged back, feeling like someone had just punched him in the stomach. "She's that bad..." he whispered, mouth suddenly dry as sand. Then this plan has to work... there's no time left...

Axel's head raised when he heard footsteps approaching, and his tail curled nervously when he saw it was Don Stracci. As the Don talked, his stomach tightened. He couldn't care less if she's okay or not, he realised sickly, but at least it sounds like he won't just hand her over...

"Don Stracci," Axel said, trying to fight the panic in his voice, "You said it yourself, you can't trust this Lupis guy... If you'd spoken to Lily just yesterday you'd know she's a good person! I mean... yeah, she can tell when something bad's going to happen, but I've never seen her control anyone's mind, and... and even if her body's changing," he glanced at Tony, "She's still in there, Lily wouldn't just lose control! We just need to find how to... reverse it somehow!" Axel looked pleadingly at the Don. "Please, just don't... do anything to her. If anything happens I'll take full responsibility for it and... and if there's anything I can do to repay you for protecting her, I'll do it!"

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The don regarded Axel with a steely gaze, not flinching as the rat plead his case before him. He remained stone like, frowning slightly as the rat outlined his thoughts. He didn't say anything at first, merely standing with a contemplative look on his face.

Tony at least gave Axel a sympathetic look the few times the rodent glanced in his direction. He knew what Axel was thinking... they wouldn't get another chance at this thing. Lily's condition wouldn't allow it.

His father finally spoke, reanimating himself after a moment's thought. "You care for this woman... don't you?" he asked. "It doesn't take a genius to see that. You're willing to do whatever it takes... aren't you? If anything DOES happen... you'll take full responsibility... I like that. You aren't afraid of owning up and doing whatever it takes. I'm afraid if my family is threatened... I'll take whatever steps necessary to protect them, though." he said, glancing at Tony. "You just make sure it doesn't come to that. Do you have an idea on how you can reverse this process? What do you need?" he inquired, raising his brow.

"Sir... we were thinking of getting those answers from Lupis. But..." Tony glanced at Axel now. "Do we even know he knows what's going on with her, or is he just seeking her for her abilities? He might not know, after all." the ferret pointed out.

"Then you're going to have arrange a meeting with him... either willingly or unwillingly on his part. What's your plan?" Don Stracci queried.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena came puffing up to the manor. She raised her hands in the air as she approached the guard station. "I'm a friend of some visitors you may have had recently!" She announced, trying to look nonthreatening; she'd hidden her gun somewhere in the forest. "Adrian...I don't know his last name, Soren Almaya, and Lily North? I need to find them!"

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Hold it!" One security guard shouted as several rifles leveled at Emelina. "Check her out!" Another guard stepped forward and began scanning her while the first one watched her. "What's your name, miss?" the first one asked, ready to radio the name through.

(runner up)
(runner up)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"I... I don't know," Axel admitted. "I don't have a plan. Well, we thought if maybe we could somehow bug one of his guys, we could find out where he is when they go back to him. But even if we managed to pull that off, Lupis isn't... I mean, I doubt he'll just come out to us in the open, not if it isn't to his advantage. So either we need to lure him in somehow, or give him a reason for coming to meet us that he can't refuse..."

He shook his head in frustration. "I didn't even know this guy existed until a couple of days ago, I've got no idea how he thinks... From what Tony said, it's pretty clear he doesn't care about the two he's sending here, so they can't be used as bait. The only thing I can think of is... What if we forced one of his people to say that they'd found her, somewhere secluded, and that for some reason she couldn't be moved? Might... is there a chance he'd come out himself?" Even as the words left his mouth, Axel knew how feeble it sounded - this wasn't exactly a situation he was used to being in. His ears twitched. Dammit, there has to be something...

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Emilena Echo," she replied unflinchingly. "They know who I am." At the moment, she had only her clothes and the water canteen in the backpack, so she didn't fear trouble with the scans. "I don't need to come in if you can direct me to where my allies have headed."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"All right, you get that? Emelina Echo, here for Adrian.. Soren Almaya... and..." the guard paused as he couldn't remember the third name. "Lily North!" he finally said. "Wait here, miss. We'll get confirmation in a few seconds." he reassured her. "What's your business with them?"

"That's not going to work." Don Stracci shook his head now. "You need to move fast... best tag those agents immediately, then send them on their way. I'll refuse them access here tonight... apologize and tell them I'm far too busy for them tonight. Then follow them to wherever they go... you can't waste time with..." He paused here suddenly, as he received some information via a small earpiece he wore. He looked at them now. "There's an Emelina Echo at the gates asking for Soren Almaya, Lily North, and an Adrian. She... someone you know?" he inquired of the group. She certainly knew their names at least.

It didn't immediately click with Tony. He hadn't met Emelina, and hadn't really remembered all the details at the factory of who had been abducted. "That name sounds really familiar..." Tony said, trailing off.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
(Pelvanida Parking Lot)

Sanjay cursed as Emilena was nowhere to be found. He slithered into the ambulance...and cursed as he realized that it had not been modified for use by Snakes.

"Emilena, you motherfucker," he muttered.

He was stranded in a factory parking lot and in the middle of the night. He was going to be in deep shit come morning.

------------

(The Heights)

"So we agreed to go with bugging the gifts, right?" Soren asked.

Anne scratched the base of her horn. "I suggest we don't bug the gifts until they leave. Once they're ready to go, I could pose as domestic help and bug their gifts while their eating breakfast."

Soren smiled as he looked at the "putty tracers" that Marita had procured. He handed them off to Anne.

He then turned to Axel. "Truth be told, I'm not sure what's up with Lily but if everything I'm hearing about her is true..." He trailed off, not wanting to finish the statement.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Then what?" Axel said, rounding on Soren. "What, you want to just... kill her? And what if they're wrong and she can be helped?! Come on Soren, how long have we known each other? You've got to have my back on this..."

He paused and turned halfway towards Don Stracci. "Hang on, Emilena's here?" Axel looked back at the group. "I thought some guys... took her back at the factory? She got away?"

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena didn't bother to answer; she had no interest in trading pleasantries with the hired hands. Instead she rifled around in the backpack, trying to find something to entertain her while she waited to get cleared.

She paused and her eyes went wide as she noted something in the smallest pouch.

Oh. Oh my. I can work with this...

--------------------------------------

Elsewhere in the parking lot, a flare lit up. "Sanjay!" a voice called out. "Sanjay Bhat! I have a message from Lupis Wing!"

A hulking rhino was doing a fantastic job of being noticeable to anyone in the surrounding acre.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony closed his eyes, feeling both sides were right. Axel was clearly deeply invested in Lily's well-being but... Soren had a point too. What if what Lupis said was true?

"She's outside right now." Don Stracci said. "Waiting."

Tony looked at the others. "I don't know if I like this guys... OK... why don't I go up there to meet her? One of you goes with me... just so sees a familiar face, and... we don't let anything on right away, but first determine what she wants." Tony suggested. "Sound good?"

(runner up)
(runner up)