The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Triva

Zenoah · 17 · 1889

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thought of putting this in brain food, but it said for non-LBT related things, so I hope here is okay.

I love looking up trivia/mistakes/ect of movies I like. Here are some interesting things I did'nt know and thought you'd all like to read.

1.) During development, Cera started out as a male triceratops called 'Bambo'. It was George Lucas's idea to make Cera a girl triceratops.

2.) Steven Spielberg and George Lucas originally wanted the film to have no dialog, like the Rite of Spring sequence in Fantasia (1940). But, to make the film appealing to children, they abandoned this idea, and got actors and actresses to do the voices.

3.) The role of Ducky was Judith Barsi's favorite of her own film roles.

4.) Originally planned for release in fall, 1987. Production was delayed by a year due to the relocation of Sullivan Bluth Studios to Dublin, Ireland.

5.) The Haunted Mansion thunderclap is heard right at the beginning of the first storm, when it frightens Baby Cera.

6.) 29 species of animals were featured in this film. 5 of them were already extinct by the time the movie was set.

7.) The film's theme song, "If We Hold on Together", was sung by 'Diana Ross' and became a huge hit in Japan. It did so well there that it became a karaoke standard.

Do you guys have stuff to add?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
1.) During development, Cera started out as a male triceratops called 'Bambo'. It was George Lucas's idea to make Cera a girl triceratops.
I had no idea that she was to be called Bambo. Where did you find this piece of information?
I heard that Littlefoot was originally intended to be called "Thunderfoot" (the outdated speciesdecription "Brontosaurus" translates to "Thunder lizard") but Littlefoot was considered less intimidating.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
With Cera male could it be that Littlefoot was a female dinosaur at the early stage of the production?
Tiny Ducky as the only female would be a bit strange and Littlefoot is the only male character with eyelashes.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wow this is some pretty interesting information here. Nice work.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I just looked up LBT trivia and picked out what sounded good.

The Thunderfoot bit, I read, was because there was another dino in a book (I think) with the same name.

I did'nt come across Littlefoot being female. Only that Cera was supposed to be a male. Which may have left Ducky to be the only female.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
I already knew much of this, but it's still pretty interesting to read some of the other ones.

Here's another bit of trivia:

At its time of release, The Land Before Time was the highest grossing animated feature of all time, the previous record holder being An American Tail, Bluth's previous work.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
Quote from: Allicloud,Jun 17 2011 on  03:09 PM
I already knew much of this, but it's still pretty interesting to read some of the other ones.

Here's another bit of trivia:

At its time of release, The Land Before Time was the highest grossing animated feature of all time, the previous record holder being An American Tail, Bluth's previous work.
and won from Oliver & company which premiered on the sam day,

did you guys BTW knew that itchy held binoculars on the cover of LBT 4?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ I didn't know that, I checked and you're right! Really funny.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I did but I don't remember seeing them. But I knew he did hold then.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
i had to look it on internet too as i didn't saw it o  the cover back in the day.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I remember seeing that when I first got the film (I still have it).  I had to blink hard, and when I saw they are indeed binoculars, I was like, "WTF?!" :lol.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
i just read that during the production of the original the producers hired some psychologists to analyse the movie to see if it was terrifying in some parts, did anyone knew that?

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I did read that bit some place.
That's the main reason why a lot was cut.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
That is why they added Rooter to the movie.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm afraid there is a certain risk for this thread to become a brooding pit for rumors. I know that stuff posted here has been found on Wikipedia too, but in all honesty the Wikipedia article on the land before time does NOT meet the high quality standards found in other articles. I recommend that we should give the sources to the information we find.
For my own embarassment I must confess that I haven't yet tracked down where I first read about the information according to which Littlefoot was originally meant to be named Thunderfoot. I did post about this many years back in the old N54 land before time board and I am postive that I did read it elsewhere before. Unfortunately I was very vague back then not pointing out WHERE I read it. I have been leaving through my land before time press files and Don Bluth's Toon Talk magazine which have often been the source for information on land before time which I posted, but I didn't spot that particular peace of information anywhere. So until I track down where exactly I did find this piece of information it's status of reliability is to be considered pending.

I ask everyone to tell where exactly you did find the information you are posting here and take everything that comes without a better source than Wikipedia or random fan pages with a grain of salt. Do not trust land before time fans with what they write about the land befor time :confused  :oops  :smile

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
"Thunderfoot" and "Bambo" are also mentioned on page 138 of the Animated Movie Guide by Jerry Beck