The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rise of the Video Game

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Has anyone seen this documentary that premiered last year? I've seen it, and thought it was quite interesting. What are others' thoughts on it?

If anyone is interested in watching it, the full 5-part documentary can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9E7FDB42CC8F5859

Um... does this belong on this part of the board or does it belong in Gamers Zone?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
it looks interesting, i've only seen the first 3 parts because for some reason, Youtube isn't opening for me now, i dunno iif its the site or something wrong on my end, but it kinda sucks that i have to wait now to finish the last half.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does look interesting, though I am watching the parts slowly so it may take a while before I see all of it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Rise of the video Game was a biased piece of propaganga that only concentrated on the most violence aspects of video gaming, and left out all the most famous video game titles in history for its own purposes (likely because they'd work against their message). I will have nothing to do with it. I wouldn't surprised to see Jack Thompson's name here somewhere.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't really know what you're talking about, WR. What makes you believe that it's propoganda?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Because they only showed one kind of game, war games, making sure to show us every violent detail and mentioning parent concerns in great detail. Its obvious they were trying to alienate us from gaming.

They left out every other kind of genre in gaming. Where's Mario? Donkey Kong? Metroid? Zelda? Pac-Man? Final Fantasy? Sonic? Sure, Pong was there, but that's about it for the most famous.

Nope, all overly violent war games that concentrate on utter destruction. No nevermind the less extreme titles of the spectrum.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
They left out every other kind of genre in gaming. Where's Mario? Donkey Kong? Metroid? Zelda? Pac-Man? Final Fantasy? Sonic? Sure, Pong was there, but that's about it for the most famous.
I finished watching both episodes (There are 2 parts in case anyone never realized) And the second one deals with Donkey Kong, Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Pac-Man was in the first ep. i think.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There's 5 parts of the documentary.

Level One: birth of video games, talks about classic arcade games like Pong and Space Invaders, and Atari
Level Two: stories, emotion, and recognizable characters are introduced, video game icons like Zelda, Mario, and Sonic appear
Level Three: games go 3-D, first person shooters appear
Level Four: simulation games appear, giving players control, and talks about how Red VS Blue came to be
Level Five: the newest genre of video games, PC games, appear, and the future of video games is discussed

This is from memory so I might have left something out, or made a mistake.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I must of missed them then. I only saw the first 2 on youtube, i'll have to look later and watch the rest of them.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Alright, so I can be wrong, but I gotmy opinion fromt he opening episode, which I saw on your link, and Level Three, which was basically about first person shooters. See where I got the idea if I didn't see Level 2, because my computer is so slow I hardly had time to allow Level 1 to load.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've watched level 1 and started on 2, things do seem interesting.  I didn't know there was a video game system before the Atari and Pong.  I'm old enough to have actually played Pong.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I did hear of the Odyssy (Sp?), the console before atari but never really new much about it. It was kinda cool to see how video games were first created.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, I learned quite a bit watching this, and I'm still not finished watching it.