The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

So, what's your take on CGI?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Whenever you get a bunch of film buffs together for a discussion, this always happens: Someone states that they think film is took a wrong direction when Computer Generated Imagery was impremented as a means of SFX, and that it destroys the integrity of the movie competely with its very presence. Others just don't find it realistic. Well, I wanna know what your take on it is.

Personally, speaking, I think that CGI is one of the best things to ever happen to the Special Effects in films. If its used correctly, it can very much enhance the story, but that's only, and only if its used right and kept in its place, and the filmmakers use the actors, and given material of the script to tell the story. If used wrong, well...you've seen what happens when a filmmaker just lets the CGI tell the story. You get crap.  :mad

Anyone agree or disagree.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I agree. The LOTR Trilogy is a prime example of CGI at its best. THe CGI is breathtaking but it also compliments the story being told.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
CGI is pretty good overall for effects.  The only really bad time I saw it used was in LBT 9 when they attempted to make computer water with everything else 2-D....that stuck out like a sore-thumb.  LBT 10 and 11 lessened the difference, but the first attempt was pretty noticeable.

arrogantrex

• Chomper
    • View Profile
CGI is nice and all...I just hate what Disney did with the whole "We're no longer doing traditional animation." So now, all of their films are nothing but CGI so they can spit them out every year or so and basically make a quick profit...

I'm not saying CGI is bad, it did wonders for some films and made quite a few memories for me when I saw Toy Story... But nothing can really compare to a sketchy background for me like in Bambi or the first LBT...

Even on television it's starting to bother me. Alot of children shows are becoming Computer generated...

I dunno, I think it's just too much of a good thing at times.

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile
its crap i think cos most film's now are made from nothing but CGI like shrek which was crap, boring and annoying. CGI should only be in sic-fi film's like star wars and inderpendants day

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are advantages to each, though it seems most are going the way of cgi.  I guess one reason may be that once it's drawn and in the computer it is easier, maybe, to keep using the same models and background.  I don't lean really either way towards hand drawn nor cgi.