The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Silent Hill

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So has anyone seen it, or has plans to see it? We just bought it the other day, and I'm definitely planning on watching it! :yes I loved the games so much :D

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I only have one thing to say: Please tell me you kept the receipt. You will be wanting it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Gah...well everybody likes different things. You sure though, it looks so good :unsure: But I guess you can't judge a book by its cover. I'm gonna see it anyway.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Alright, but just make sure you don't eat anything while trying to watch it. It goes WAY overboard with the blood and gore.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Sep 11 2006 on  07:39 PM
Alright, but just make sure you don't eat anything while trying to watch it. It goes WAY overboard with the blood and gore.
I can stomach it.  I've rented the unrated version of "The Hills Have Eyes" where there's mutated, back-counrty savages cutting dogs open, shooting women in the head and burning people alive.  There's also a lot of pick-axes to the head and mutilated bodies with plenty of blood and guts.   :lol

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I wasn't talking to you. Littlefoot Fan might have a different level of tolerence to such things than you.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I've seen quite a bit of that stuff (There were some movies where it was just ridiculous). But even if it is real bad, it won't effect me like stomach wise (I'm not gonna throw up!) it's just...nasty that's all lol

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I know you weren't talking to me, WR.  I was just saying that because I wanted too.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I wasn't saying you'd outright puke, but after "Silent Hill", you will probably will want to. Its really nasty.

Okay, cool, cyber. No prob.

I survived "The Passion of the Christ", so I can handle icky scenes, but I doesn't mean I want to, though.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Haha, that movie was awesome :D It stuck to the games quite a bit, so I'm happy. You are right though, there was ALOT of gore in it, but it wasn't that bad.

Yowzaa :wow What a creepy movie! I can't see why you didn't like it though :blink:

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Now go rent the unrated version of "The Hills Have Eyes" and see what you think of that.  :lol

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Because I hate it when filmmakers think that they can only be cinematically effective by putting so much blood and guts into the film that the audience actually wonders if any of the blood is getting on them.

That's a reason I prefer any films by John Carpenter, M. Night Shyamalan, and Alfred Hitchcock to anything by Wes Craven, Victor Salva, and whoever directed "Silent Hill". The first three know how to be effective without pelting the screen with excessive carnage. Resorting to ridiculous amounts of blood and gore to get a reaction out of your audince is just lazy as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I understand that there are many war movies and other true story films filled with blood and guts, but that was for authenticity, not for thrills.

Also, the leading actress was, by far, the least talented person in the entire movie, and the husband character, played by the very well-respected and celebrated British actor Sean Bean, got way too little coverage.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Then you most definatly will hate "The Hills Have Eyes" which is a more gory remake of the 1977 original by Wes Craven.  This remake has got to be the best remake of a classic horror film to date.  It doesn't matter if you get the rated or the unrated version, there's still lots and lots of gore.  The unrated version is what was originally going to be released in theatres, but it got the NC-17 rating.  :lol The edited for the movies version still has lots and lots of gore.  There's on part where a guy bites the head off a parakeet and drinks the blood squirting from the body.  The first victim is one of the two german shepherd dogs that gets attacked, killed and gutted.  And there's a part where the father gets tied to a tree and burned alive and the mother gets shot in the stomach and the sister in law gets shot in the forehead and the only survivors are the son, the daughter, the other german shepherd and the geeky brother in law.  I love that movie because of all the gore.  A lot of people scream while I laugh at the next unsuspecting mutated freak that gets a pick-axe in the head.  :lol  :lol

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmmm, never heard of that movie. Do you even pay attention to the storyline or is it just like a Friday the 13th movie? :lol: (Never actually saw that movie, but I heard it was just nothing but slaughtering :p).

I do have to some-what agree with WeirdRaptor on this though, I know what he's talking about. Adding some blood to spit out of a stab wound is fine, but now-a-days movies really do go way overboard with it. We know that the person just got split in two by a pendulum, now no need to show the intestines on the floor :lol.

Don't get me wrong, it IS fun to watch some overloading gore occasionally! :lol: But sometimes it just gets tiring, and you can't help but think that the people making the movie were in fact trying to get a higher score just by putting all that stuff in. (Like WeirdRaptor said :p)

I don't think Silent Hill went too overboard with it (A few scenes were kinda ridiculous), but you also have to take into consideration that the games were just like that. All the Silent Hill games were never really aimed at suspense, it was more just pure grossness.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh, yes I did pay attention to the story line.  :lol:   "The Hills Have Eyes" is a remake of the original 1977 movie by Wes Craven, it's about a family who is traveling to California and are lost in the New Mexico desert and a kraggy old gas station attendant gives them directions, which lead them to a dead end.  Their car runs over a spike strip and is broken down in the middle of the desert which used to be a nuclear testing site.  Some residents refused to leave their land that was being nuked, so a half century later, this family gets lost in the desert and is preyed upon by mutated savage cannibals who pick off the family one by one.  First starting with one of the two dogs, which is attacked and cut open, then the father, who they capture, tie him to a tree, and burn him alive which distracts the son, mother and the brother in law while the mutated miners sneak into the trailer and try to molest the daughter and sister in law.  The daughter in law winds up getting shot in the forehead and has her baby taken away, and the mother gets shot in the stomach.  And the Son in law goes to rescue his baby from the cannibals.  Overall, I'd give it a 10/10.  Plenty of suspense and gorey secnes of pick-axes in the head, shotgun pellets to the chest, and lots of dismembered limbs. Not for the squeamish.  :lol

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I do have to some-what agree with WeirdRaptor on this though, I know what he's talking about. Adding some blood to spit out of a stab wound is fine, but now-a-days movies really do go way overboard with it. We know that the person just got split in two by a pendulum, now no need to show the intestines on the floor .
Dang strainght on that one! That is one of the reasons why I'd rather not go to another "Indiana Jones" movie if Spielberg is really intending on making it. Anyone who got killed by traps in a new one would be horribly mutiliated onscreen. I can handle gore, blood, and guts just fine, but does it have to be in every film, it seems?  

Don't get me wrong, it IS fun to watch some overloading gore occasionally!  But sometimes it just gets tiring, and you can't help but think that the people making the movie were in fact trying to get a higher score just by putting all that stuff in. (Like WeirdRaptor said )
I know that, I watch the "Evil Dead/Army of Darkness" trilogy and have a ball. Anyone here seen it? Bruce Campbell at his best!

Yeah, now that I've heard Cyber's description of "The Hills Have Eyes", I will never be watching it.