The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Slow Computer Problem

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is becoming a REALLY big concern of mine because my computer is getting quite the lag problem.

I've got over 30GB of free space, so I doubt that is the problem.  What else could it possibly be?

Of course, we all know who the real experts are around here, and I'll be waiting paitently for the answer.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I heard that too much stuff on the computer can really slow it down.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe to many windows open, or not enough ram, could be one thing.  Or maybe programs open that you normally can't see since they are in the background.  Have you tried doing alt control delete to see what the processes tab shows what programs are taking a lot of percentage load and the performance tab to see the overall total cpu load, and ram load?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is it mainly slow when the computer first boots up, for the first 5 or 10 minutes, or is it still very slow after that?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
If its slow on startup, a good cleaning of the prefetch directory in Windows might work pretty good.  If its slow after that, there's a possibility that something's running in the background that you don't notice.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Microsoft computers have only one real solution when they get really slow during everyday activities......a complete format.  You could go muck around with registry programs, programs like zoom that are supposed to speed up startup, and screwing around in msconfig, but there's nothing like a good format.  The best computer advice I can give anyone is:  Format at least once a year, if not twice a year.  Perfect solution to get rid of viruses and slowdowns.  If it is just during startup though, you should mess around with msconfig.  That'll solve a world of problems, but from what you've told me personally, I think it's well time for a format.  If your computer is over 1.4ghz with 512+mb of ram and less than half your hard drive full, it should start up in about 1-2 minutes if it's healthy.  If you use cable/dsl 1.2mps+, then most pages should come up almost the instant you click on them.  If it's not like this, there's something wrong.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Microsoft computers have only one real solution when they get really slow during everyday activities......a complete format. You could go muck around with registry programs, programs like zoom that are supposed to speed up startup, and screwing around in msconfig, but there's nothing like a good format. The best computer advice I can give anyone is: Format at least once a year, if not twice a year. Perfect solution to get rid of viruses and slowdowns.

You have got to be [kidding] me!!! :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some like to reformat their hdd at certain intervals, I personally never do, but it is up to the individual.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would recommend you get one of these:

http://www.target.com/Magic-External-320GB...%20drive&page=1

You can back up your data onto one of these things so you can format as often as needed.  It is a headache to format your machine, but if you've got everything you care about and need on one of these, you can usually totally restore your computer in an hour after installing the operating system for a total of about 2 hours of work.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I would only bother reformatting if you totally screwed up your copy of Windows, otherwise there's no real need.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm, I just went through a series of what I usually do with the computer and found it to work just fine on all things.

It was going rather slow for the last few days, but today, it's just going at a nice speed.  I wonder if my brother had anything to do with it.  He was on the computer last night when I got home.  Then again, he's not into computers, so I doubt it.

Maybe my dad or my big brother. (He comes over from time to time.)

Oh well, nothing that can be done about it now.  Anyways, thanks for the advice guys.  I'm sure it'll come in handy in future situations. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm glad everything is working well, but like you said, the suggestions may help for next time, if it happens.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Were you downloading torrents?  If this happens again, it might be the result of someone hacking into your computer.  I wouldn't imagine an experienced hacker using those old hacking programs that slow down the computer they're hacking, but you never know.  If you have frequent problems, I'd say more than one every two weeks, I'd just format it.  Your computer should be running perfectly, and if it's not running perfect or almost perfect, there's something wrong.  Rather than spending dozens of hours trying to figure out a problem I just format it if the fix will take more than an hour.  It saves lots of time.  The only computers I don't format twice a year are the ones I don't use. :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It definately wasn't a loading torrent problem, since my last one finished over a week ago. :P:

So, you're saying it might've been a hacker?  Geez!  Can't the bad ones just leave ya alone? -_-

Well, if it was, I most likely temporarily kicked that guy out a bit ago.  I had run a FULL restart of my computer (Which mainly consisted of a shut down and turning it back on.) and then checked it for any bugs, viruses, spybots, etc.

Of course, doing all this meant logging back into all the forums I'm registered to, but it'll be worth it in the end. :)

I just really hope it wasn't a hacker.  I've got enough problems in my life at the moment.

Well, see ya later! :^.^:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ugh!  After a week and a half more of lag, we found the problem.

Turns out, something is going wrong at the internet company and we're getting weak signals because of it.  The company at hand has been having a slew of problems and its making many customers who use it get a number of problems.

As such, my dad is thinking of changing internet companies.  So I might be off even past my vacation.

Just letting you guys know that I might be off for some time when this comes into play.  I promise to be back on ASAP.

This is unfortunate, but at least we can get a better signal when it's all over.

Well, see ya later! :^.^:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck on having better luck with the new internet company.