The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Virus protection

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nimrod,Nov 17 2007 on  10:16 AM
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 17 2007 on  10:46 AM
Yup, Final Fantasy XI is an MMORPG so it's also on computer. Final Fantasy XI is also on PS2 and Xbox 360. If you probably heard of Final Fantasy XI I'm a bit surprised you didn't know it's also on computer XD

Sorry lbt lover. I just read the text on the second side :lol This was adress to Keni.
??? I never made that post today. :blink:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I think that was meant for another topic and he accidently copied and pasted it here.  I dunno for sure though. :unsure:

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Moment, you don¥t understand right. Take a look at the second page of these topic. There Keni and I talked about that. That will explain you.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
But your post said that I made that quote. I think Keni said that, not me. Your post said "Manny Cav @ Nov 17 2007, 10:46 AM."

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Oh yes, I know. I just clicked the quote buttom at the last post. Was my fault, sorry.  :bang

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
My XP computer turned up a lot of junk, but all of it seemed to be stuff that related to ads. What does that mean?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think it'd be obvious.....ADWARE!!!!! :P: Good thing you got that crap off of there. ;)

Companies put software onto your computer without your knowledge which produce annoying popups and slow down the computer, along with increasing your chances for getting viruses. :angry: If I could, I'd stop them, but I'd need an army of knowledgeable programmers. <_<

I got a really bad one one time.  The program was called "adsite".  It produced a popup about every 20 seconds, and when the internet was offline, it just gave me the stupid page saying "this page cannot be displayed" :angry: God that pissed me off! :P:  Spybot took care of it though.  Windows vista has built in spyware/adware protection, and it's pretty good right now, but that won't last, I can assure you.  Soon, it'll be as useless as the windows xp firewall is now. :(  Everyone learns how to crack it and microsoft never comes through with better protection.  They care more about preventing software piracy than protecting their customers. <_<

My point is that you don't need spybot for vista computers right now, but you will soon.  I'd give it 6 months before windows vista's built in spyware/adware protection goes to crap and every company knows how to bypass or crack it.  I already know many hackers who can already do that, so my estimate is probably way off.  Maybe like 4 months. <_<

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
My laptop doesn't get pop-ups. What is it, again, that adware does?

EDIT: I think "adsense" is Google's thing.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think "adsense" is Google's thing.

Oh right!  I've been working a lot with that lately so I must have gotten those two confused.  Not sleeping for a few days doesn't help much either.  It was "adsite".

Just because the popups don't come up doesn't mean anything.  Your browser probably blocks them, but it still uses up resources.  Also, adware and spyware can collect personal information about the sites you visit and record your usernames and passwords to sites you visit (such as GOF, Gmail, ebay ex.).  These things can also collect all your personal information and record your surfing and shopping habits.  Just crap! :angry:

Oh, and adware can download advertising programs onto the computer and start them sometimes so you get odd icons on the desktop.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have something similar to that happen to me on an older computer. It was called "SpyFalcon." Have you ever heard of it?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Actually, spyfalcon was quite famous for it's ability to quickly screw up people's lives a long time ago.  What was it like......6 years ago that it was really bad?  I'm not sure.  I think it's still around though.  I hope I never get it, but I'm sure spybot will be able to take care of it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I had a SpyFalcon fiasco a couple of years ago. It was horrible. Not even Spybot Search & Destroy could fix it (a computer tech recommended downloading it for free). Norton found it, but couldn't fix it.

Anyway, here's my vote on Spybot Search & Destroy. I think it's a very good adware and spyware remover. I'll give it that. However, like I said, I need a all-in-one, and Spybot just isn't that. I need something that can get it all. I hear Consumer Reports recently did a deal on what the best antivirus/spyware remover was, so I might check by them to see what they recommend. Again, if Norton's not the best, then I'm not beyond getting something better, but Spybot doesn't get it all, and AVG's got it's bad points, too.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
From my experience so far with Panda, it automatically plots spyware/adware. You don't even need to scan. In just one week, Panda has disinfected 10 viruses and blocked over 3,000 spyware/adware, and also stopped 2 hacking attempts.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Sounds like my kind of program. :D I'll have to look into it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Another feature I like about Panda (not sure if other programs can do this) is if it finds a virus it cannot remove, it will rename the file , putting a .vir at the end of the filename, so it's easier to find. And yeah, it'll give the location of the virus as well (it does this with anything it finds I believe).

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Nov 18 2007 on  03:29 PM
And yeah, it'll give the location of the virus as well (it does this with anything it finds I believe).
Norton does this for me, but not the extension thing.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Nothing will "get it all".  You will need to run multiple programs to increase your chances of detecting more items.  I wouldn't put faith in using only an "all in one" solution....even Panda.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not going to use multiple programs. I need to pick one program and stick with it. be it AVG/Spybot, Norton, Panda, whatever.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 18 2007 on  08:44 PM
I'm not going to use multiple programs. I need to pick one program and stick with it. be it AVG/Spybot, Norton, Panda, whatever.
Not good....what Lavasoft finds, AVG anti-spyware doesn't, what Spybot can find, doesn't show up in a-squared.  Are you getting my point?  I have four different programs here and their "searches" aren't overlapping.  That is why I would not trust my computer to only an "all-in-one" solution with all the crap flying around on the net.  These are adware/spware scans which can be just as deadly as viruses.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I see where you're going, but I just can't afford (double meaning) to use more than one program like that. One program for me. And Norton might not be it.