The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wow! LBT 10 was like that?

Bruton the Iguanodon

But why can't someone do a huge analysis of the more interesting LBT films, like 5 and 9?

And why can't you start doing them rather than demanding for others to do them for you? Most of the analysis of LBT 10 came about as a result from discussions partly based on the fact that it is one LBT movie which is more polarizing than many others.

Heck, I think I will. I don't like how this film is regarded so highly above the first 9 films, ALL of which were superior in my opinion. but I'm not gonna try to change other people's opinions. I'm just gonna show my own, and be proud of it!   :smile

I have to disagree with you about the song "Adventuring". Yes, Littlefoot has gone on many adventures where he has left the Great Valley. The thing is though, he's always left the Great Valley with his friends, in every single movie. Yes he wanders off by himself in movie 6, but before that he had left with his friends again. Movie 10 is the first and only movie where he does not leave the Great Valley with his friends ever. True, he leaves with his grandparents, but because he has shared all of the adventures with his friends it is different.

Also, this is the first time he has left the valley just for the sake of leaving. Every other time he has left the valley he has had a goal or destination in mind: To find the stolen egg (2), to find the missing water (3), to find the night flowers (4), to find a new place to live until the Great Valley is suitable to live in again (5), to find Dinah and Danah at Saurus Rock and then to find the sharptooth tooth (6), to rescue Ducky and find the Stone of Cold Fire (7), to find Ducky who went after Spike (8), to bring Moe back to the Big Water (9). What's the reason for going on the adventure in movie 10? He doesn't know where he is going and why he is leaving. He just feels like he needs to go.

Those two reasons are why this particular adventure is different from all the others.

I prefere the old formula. If they were so keen on making an adventure like this they would have done it long ago. I also like it better when he goes with his friends...it's more fun then with his boring old grandparents---don't get me wrong, I adore the grandparents, but I think the advetures are more fun when he goes off on them with his friends. The fact that they switched it up to this, and didn't give Littlefoot a goal for where he needed to go,  made it clear that Universal was running out of ideas and suddenly going into crazed scriptwriting.

Oh, and they had the nerve to bring Daddy-dearest into the freaking picture after all this time---all this time in which I've accepted the fact that Littlefoot is an orphan who lives with his grandparents, learned to live with it, gotten used to it, and basically become so used to things the way they are that this sudden intrusion is like the whole world turning upside down.

November 1988-November 2003: The "Littlefoot being an orphan and living with his grandparents era, the era of my childhood."

December 2003- The "Littlefoot suddenly having a dad the first 9 films never gave any indication existed and suddenly nothing is as it was before and ever will be era".

Seriousy, I've been looking at things this way! Like what albums came out in what era, etc!

Bruton the Iguanodon

I still am not gonna go back on what I said about wanting 9 to be the end. It was special in that it had similarities to the first film, and the ending sequence felt more touching and conclusional then previous ones had. When I watch the characters go home, I feel like I'm seeing them go home for the last time. And then, of course, we see have a touching scene of them reuniting with their families, like at the end of 1, and the supposed former middle film, 5. Didn't see that in 10 anywhere. The whole sunset feel gives it a good finale feel to it. And the ending line, "This adventure was at an end. Still, Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike knew in their hearts that there would be many more adventures...yet to come." It's a perfect ending line to the series, promising they'll have more adventures, even thoug this one, and the whole series, has finnished.

And finally, you've got the sparkles which close the screen before the credits and the credits song being a pop song instead of the usual beautiful score, which was new.

Movie 10 isn't underated or misunderstood. Someone actually thought it would be "the one kids would watch over and over"  :blink:

Are they seriously trying to say this is gonna take the place of beloved "Journey Through The Mists"? I think I'm gonna be sick!  :x

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Who's they you're referring to?

And what do you mean by "Are they seriously trying to say this is gonna take the place of beloved "Journey Through The Mists"?"

And why would that make you "sick"?

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wow I haven't seen ten in a long time and I need to again. My thought's are I thought it was a alright movie. The plot wasn't that good and the story wasn't great either but I did enjoy it.

Bruton the Iguanodon

And what do you mean by "Are they seriously trying to say this is gonna take the place of beloved "Journey Through The Mists"?"

And why would that make you "sick"?

Because 4 was the film I grew up with and I consider it underated for how good it was. The thought of 10 being the one kids would watch over and over makes me sick because I have trouble seeing myself doing that---I can't imagine myself seeing 10 as a little kid and having the joy I did seing 4.

I thought it filled a hole that was in the series. Finding out what happened with Littlefoot's father and why he never was there for Littlefoot did fill in a huge hole that had been wide open since 1988.

The time in which that hole was open made up the better part my childhood.  In other words, I spent my whole childhood with the image of Littlefoot living with just his grandparents. Don't get me wrong, I wondered who his dad was. But couldn't they just leave that to fanfiction?!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well I don't really see a problem with that. There's nothing wrong with kids seeing movie 10 over and over again if they enjoy it. If you don't like movie 10 that much, you don't have to watch it. But just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean that it's a bad thing for kids to watch it. It's not something I feel is worth "getting sick over". There's certainly worse things kids could watch (like R rated movies).

It's best to be fair with kids. If I had to choose between showing them LBT4 or LBT10, I'd just compromise and show both. Kids have every right to see both movies if they desire to; it wouldn't be right of me to show a movie simply because I like one and hate the other (I don't hate either LBT4 nor LBT10 though).

As for LBT4 being "underrated", you said the same thing about LBT3 as well and I don't really why you feel they're underrated. I don't really see any evidence that they're underrated, nor do I see any for LBT10 being preferred by the majority over them.

Bruton the Iguanodon

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Well it's like I said earlier. TLBT 10 was one of those sequels that basically filled in some of the missing loop holes that were prevalent in the first movie. If there are ever more sequels or a remake of some kind I do hope they cover the missing loop holes that took place in the first movie. Like for example Spike's parents or like how did the adults managed to form some sort of bond with one another and travel together as a heard of mixed dinosaurs instead of separate species.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Personally I always felt LBT 10 tore up a lot more loopholes than it ever filled. I consider it very unfortunate that the makers of LBT 10 obviously didn't bother at all to make it harmonize with the original movie it was refering to. For me the many implausible points I refered to early (both about the messed up references to the original movie as well as some matters making no sense within the time frame of the plot of LBT 10) really killed of a movie which I believe could have been grand if the makers had put some more effort into making it so.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have a motto that is I'd watch anything once if I liked it I would watch it again. And this movie was not in the category. I mean the animation was eh the story confused me a lot I didn't see how this was gonna work. There was so many holes that needed to be filled that where not filled at all. They left them wide open. I did like some parts of the movie. The song was good but didn't fit the whole movie title. And made it a bit more confusing to me. But overall I can at least say I can call it a movie even tho to me it wasn't one at all.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Something else to consider, too:

The LBT series is Not known for its detailed or even specifically Accurate storytelling and recollections of previous events. The earlier films (1 through 4 especially) were able to keep a good level of consistancy in character and story, I thought, and I have no issues with how they were done.

LBT 4: All we know of Ali is that she is in a migrating herd who recently came from the Land of Mists. Later on, we learn that she spent all of her social life with longnecks, which adds more detail. Still, her background is quite sketchy.

LBT 6: The story of the Lone Dinosaur is told in some level of detail, through the opening's story and the song "Lone Dinosaur" (most of which in the song is fiction, but that's besides the point). Overall, the story of the Lone Dinosaur is one of the better-developed historical stories in the series, and it is Meant to be sketchy for the sake of mystery. Ironic, isn't it?

In LBT 7, there is a well-known discussion between the Gang about who crosses the vine first (when chasing after Pterano's posse). A comment is made that Cera is always at the back of the line whenever the Gang had left the Great Valley previously, yet in earlier films, we clearly see that Cera has never Once been at the back of the line when crossing any sort of gap.

Also in LBT 7, when the gang finds Ducky in the cave. The story of how ducky got there was kept extremely short (under 10 seconds). While this isn't as important of a story as Bron's, I believe this trend continues in LBT 10's Bron story.

LBT 8: Thicknose's story, told in his song. Most of the song is about the theme of never being too old to learn. A few seconds of the song tells the story of his life, but this detail is kept Very minimal. The story of where the Spiketails came from is also kept very sketchy. All we really know is they are from "The cold lands", likely on a more polar point on Earth than the Great Valley but possibly a mountainous area (though the lack of food in mountainous regions would suggest against that). Anyways, that's a different topic altogether.

LBT 9: The background of where Mo came from is kept very simple. We know nothing of his family except from what we see of how they act around him at the end. The story of how he got to the Great valley was kept very short and simple.

We need to know some of this stuff. I think it matters just as much as what was missing in LBT 10. Like Ducky's story. Couldn't she have said more?

In LBT 7, there is a well-known discussion between the Gang about who crosses the vine first (when chasing after Pterano's posse). A comment is made that Cera is always at the back of the line whenever the Gang had left the Great Valley previously, yet in earlier films, we clearly see that Cera has never Once been at the back of the line when crossing any sort of gap.

I'm gonna be makin' a topic on this!  ;)

Bruton the Iguanodon

With what I heard, he got back just as "The Great Earthshake" hit. From that perspective, I can not blame Bron for not finding them, especially with the fact the nest was gone. That earthquake was HUGE! It even beats the one in LBT 9

But isn't that the same earthshake from LBT 1?!

I'm trying to understand what you meant by being amazed by it...we'd known about the LBT 1 earthshake long before the LBT 9 one.  :huh:

Bruton the Iguanodon

I have to disagree with you about the song "Adventuring". Yes, Littlefoot has gone on many adventures where he has left the Great Valley. The thing is though, he's always left the Great Valley with his friends, in every single movie. Yes he wanders off by himself in movie 6, but before that he had left with his friends again. Movie 10 is the first and only movie where he does not leave the Great Valley with his friends ever. True, he leaves with his grandparents, but because he has shared all of the adventures with his friends it is different.

Also, this is the first time he has left the valley just for the sake of leaving. Every other time he has left the valley he has had a goal or destination in mind: To find the stolen egg (2), to find the missing water (3), to find the night flowers (4), to find a new place to live until the Great Valley is suitable to live in again (5), to find Dinah and Danah at Saurus Rock and then to find the sharptooth tooth (6), to rescue Ducky and find the Stone of Cold Fire (7), to find Ducky who went after Spike (8), to bring Moe back to the Big Water (9). What's the reason for going on the adventure in movie 10? He doesn't know where he is going and why he is leaving. He just feels like he needs to go.

Those two reasons are why this particular adventure is different from all the others.

Alright, it's just that it felt he was acting as if his previous adventures had never happened. 9 was the last movie I really saw as a kid(although I did leave the room for some parts), although I saw parts of 10. This song though feels like I'm seeing Littlefoot dismissing every adventure he's been on, several of which I'd consider superior, a few I consider inferior. Nonetheless, they were a part of the LBT I grew up with.

If they wanted to include a song like that in the first sequel, it would have been awesome. In the 10th? I don't think so.

But anyone else can.  ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
While I see your point I don't quite agree with it. One thing we should keep in mind is that no part of the song "Adventuring" suggests that he or anyone else had not been on adventures before. In one respect the situation in LBT 10 differed somewhat from the situations in preceeding movies for here we had the first case in which Littlefoot was sort of setting out on a deliberate, planned adventure rather than being forced into it by circumstances and against the intention of his grandparents or other grownups. Even in case of "adventures" taking place in the close surroundings of the Great Valley it always took some emergency (stolen egg, missing water, lost twins) rather than mere adventuresomeness to get them on their way.
I also think that in many cases the songs stand somewhat apart from the story and are often even in conflict with the rest of the plot. "Adventuring" is an extreme example with the others declaring their firm intention that littlefoot will have to take them all allong, just for them to watch him depart without them in the very next scene without any indication of them even making the slightest attempt to accompany him. Persoanlly I like the tune of Adventuring and have more of an issue with the generally rather flimsy basis of the dreams as a basis for perilous whims of so cautious characters like Littlefoot's grandparents.

Bruton the Iguanodon

With what I heard, he got back just as "The Great Earthshake" hit. From that perspective, I can not blame Bron for not finding them, especially with the fact the nest was gone. That earthquake was HUGE! It even beats the one in LBT 9

I'm trying to understand what you meant by being amazed by it...we'd known about the LBT 1 earthshake long before the LBT 9 one, I thought we'd already taken it for granted that it was huge. And it's not like it's the only earthshake in the series---there's one in 3, one in 5 (yeah, a tsunami sorta counts) and one in 7.  

Something else to consider, too:

The LBT series is Not known for its detailed or even specifically Accurate storytelling and recollections of previous events. The earlier films (1 through 4 especially) were able to keep a good level of consistancy in character and story, I thought, and I have no issues with how they were done.

LBT 4: All we know of Ali is that she is in a migrating herd who recently came from the Land of Mists. Later on, we learn that she spent all of her social life with longnecks, which adds more detail. Still, her background is quite sketchy.

LBT 6: The story of the Lone Dinosaur is told in some level of detail, through the opening's story and the song "Lone Dinosaur" (most of which in the song is fiction, but that's besides the point). Overall, the story of the Lone Dinosaur is one of the better-developed historical stories in the series, and it is Meant to be sketchy for the sake of mystery. Ironic, isn't it?

Also in LBT 7, when the gang finds Ducky in the cave. The story of how ducky got there was kept extremely short (under 10 seconds). While this isn't as important of a story as Bron's, I believe this trend continues in LBT 10's Bron story.

LBT 8: Thicknose's story, told in his song. Most of the song is about the theme of never being too old to learn. A few seconds of the song tells the story of his life, but this detail is kept Very minimal. The story of where the Spiketails came from is also kept very sketchy. All we really know is they are from "The cold lands", likely on a more polar point on Earth than the Great Valley but possibly a mountainous area (though the lack of food in mountainous regions would suggest against that). Anyways, that's a different topic altogether.

LBT 9: The background of where Mo came from is kept very simple. We know nothing of his family except from what we see of how they act around him at the end. The story of how he got to the Great valley was kept very short and simple.

Why aren't people upset about this stuff? I think a lot of it deserved to be explained in greater detail, like Ducky and Mo's stories. Why are we reseving LBT 10 as "the special one that needs explanation"? It shouldn't be. These were just as needed.

Once again, I look at what Bron was going through after he learned about his wife's death. When you lose someone you care about, you don't tend to be thinking straight; your mind is clouded. Even things that are so obvious seem to alude you. And losing a partner is one of the most devastating things that can happen. It is a life-changing experience, in a negative way.

Bron probably fell into depression, just like Littlefoot did. Perhaps Bron forgot about asking directions because of his loss and his guilt about leaving in the first place. And when you don't think about something for a long time, it can disappear from your mind, or be pushed far back into your mind. This probably happened to Bron.

From what I can tell Bron was apparently crappy husband because he left his preganant wife and couldn't eve couldn't even remember what color she was, apparently. And if this is true he doesn't have the right to feel grief over her death, let alone fall into a depression. Part of the reason I'm saying this is it's hard for me to picture him falling into the same depression Littlefoot fell into because...

1. He's an adult and knows how to take care of himself, not a lost kid who's now motherless.
2. He wasn't there with her when she died.
3. We've never seen him cry.
4. We never saw the relationship between him and her like we did with her and Littlefoot...at least not to that extent.

Do you think Littlefoot's grandparents fell into a depression over the possible loss of their daughter and grandson? I don't think so, otherwise they wouldn't have made it to the valley before the kids did. No one really considers how they felt upon learning about their daughter's death. Bron on the other hand is apparently coldhearted, as well, seeing as TrulyFantasticMe could see him humiliating Pterano for no reason.

I guess what I'm saying is that you're portraying Bron as more sensitive then I typically think of him, DarkHououmon. I mean, can you actually picture him crying?  :huh:  

One more thing.

DarkHououmon, you said this:

When you lose someone you care about, you don't tend to be thinking straight; your mind is clouded. Even things that are so obvious seem to alude you. And losing a partner is one of the most devastating things that can happen. It is a life-changing experience, in a negative way.

This was really well worded, and I'm just curious if it comes from personal expierience, or simply from watching enough movies, reading enough books, and basically knowing about people who have suffered it? If you don't want to answer that's ok. I'm just curious.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I learned it from conversations I had with people who did suffer a loss like that, as well from stories and movies involving the same thing.

Bruton the Iguanodon

OK. Again, not trying to get personal or anything, I just thought it sounded really well written, but I'm glad you have't suffered a loss like that. As for the people you've spoken to who have, I hope they're ok.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Why aren't people upset about this stuff?
Most people are not eager to get upset if they don't see anything to get really upset about.
There are some matters in LBT where the sequels are in conflict with others sequels or the original movie, but not everyone is getting so worked up about them as you (no offense meant) seem to require them to be.
LBT 10 went the farthest when it comes to presenting a story that doesn't sound plausible respectively clashes with what had been established in the first movie. Therefore there may be somewhat more reaction there than for example about Ducky in LBT 7 not taking a longer time to tell her friends about the events which the audience has already seen.
What would people achieve by getting upset about this kind of stuff?

Bruton the Iguanodon

5. Speaking of taking care, let's take a look at how much Bron cares about his herd. He says he cannot accompany Littlefoot and his grandparents to the Great Valley as he has to go back to his herd. Now that's noble, isn't it? He would so much like to come along with his son, but he will sacrifice his personal luck for the wellbeing of his herd which apparently cannot survive a day without him...
But wait a second, is not the herd supposed to be right there, at the crater where the solar eclipse occurred? All longnecks were supposed to be there!
We know that all longnecks were not there. Ali and her herd was missing and so was Doc. There must have been quite a few who either didn't have that dream or didn't get there in time. But how is it possible that Bron and a part of his herd was there, but another part wasn't? There is no doubt that not all of Bron's herd was there, as he told Littlefoot he was looking forward to introduce him to the rest of the herd. Now can you give me a reason why Bron would leave what must be a considerable part of the herd rather than leading all of them there? I have a theory and as you may expect it doesn't cast a positive light on Bron, but I beg you to give me a better reason.
It appears that Bron left behind the part of his herd that was too slow to make it to the crater in time for the solar eclipse. If he really did, doesn't that mean that he must've left the old, the weak, the too young kids etc. behind? Not the kind of herd members a good leader should leave to their fate! I just hope he left some strong longnecks behind to protect them. Bron must have something that makes other dinosaurs follow him, but he doesn't show any of the responsibility true leadership demands!

I originally thought that was where Bron and his herd lived (in the crater)...but waitaminute...where do they live?  :confused

As for Ali's herd and Doc not being there, do you seriously think the producers would have the heart to satisfy us by reuniting characters from other films? I bet that as far as whoever made 10 is concerned, Ali and her herd, and well as Doc, do not exist.

Oh yes, and then there was this I'd like to discuss:

Once again, I look at what Bron was going through after he learned about his wife's death. When you lose someone you care about, you don't tend to be thinking straight; your mind is clouded. Even things that are so obvious seem to alude you. And losing a partner is one of the most devastating things that can happen. It is a life-changing experience, in a negative way.

Bron probably fell into depression, just like Littlefoot did. Perhaps Bron forgot about asking directions because of his loss and his guilt about leaving in the first place. And when you don't think about something for a long time, it can disappear from your mind, or be pushed far back into your mind. This probably happened to Bron.

From what I can tell Bron was apparently crappy husband because he left his preganant wife and couldn't eve couldn't even remember what color she was, apparently. And if this is true he doesn't have the right to feel grief over her death, let alone fall into a depression. Part of the reason I'm saying this is it's hard for me to picture him falling into the same depression Littlefoot fell into because...

1. He's an adult and knows how to take care of himself, not a lost kid who's now motherless.
2. He wasn't there with her when she died.
3. We've never seen him cry.
4. We never saw the relationship between him and her like we did with her and Littlefoot...at least not to that extent.

Do you think Littlefoot's grandparents fell into a depression over the possible loss of their daughter and grandson? I don't think so, otherwise they wouldn't have made it to the valley before the kids did. No one really considers how they felt upon learning about their daughter's death. Bron on the other hand is apparently coldhearted, as well, seeing as TrulyFantasticMe could see him humiliating Pterano for no reason.

I guess what I'm saying is that you're portraying Bron as more sensitive then I typically think of him, DarkHououmon. I mean, can you actually picture him crying?

Anyways, I still think all the things that weren't explained should have been; not just the ones in 10. Never mnd that they aren't important---not caring that some things don't get explained in other movies while bashing 10 for not explaining things is wrong, I think.

I still don't understand this:

I'm trying to understand what you meant by being amazed by it...we'd known about the LBT 1 earthshake long before the LBT 9 one, I thought we'd already taken it for granted that it was huge. And it's not like it's the only earthshake in the series---there's one in 3, one in 5 (yeah, a tsunami sorta counts) and one in 7.

Honestly, by giving Littlefoot a dad it killed the LBT I'd known.

I thought it filled a hole that was in the series. Finding out what happened with Littlefoot's father and why he never was there for Littlefoot did fill in a huge hole that had been wide open since 1988.

I just want to say, while I initially was curious about what happened to his dad, that hole was open for so long---from November of 1988, throughout the 90's, to December of 2003---that it was simply too long for it to suddenly be closed. I think it was so much better off closed, left to fanfiction, and 9 being made the end.

By the way, why do people feel 10 would have made a good end if Littlefoot chooses to go back to the valley?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't agree that it was too long for it to be closed. Just because something has been open for so long doesn't mean that it's too late to be closed. I also like the idea of giving Littlefoot a father. There's really nothing wrong with that; it doesn't "kill" LBT in any way. I don't see why you're so bothered by it. Just let it go. They gave Littlefoot a father in LBT10. Nothing you say can change that.