The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Great Gatsby

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Personally, I think the movie was overdone. There were ALOT of unnecessary things in the movie that didn't need to be there. I remember reading the book my junior year of high school for my English class. We watched the original movie that was made in the 70s, and I quite liked it. However, I was more than aggravated  :anger by the fact that they played RAP music at Gatsby's party in the 1920'S!!!!!!!!!! GRR MADE ME SO MAD!!!!!! >.<  :bang However, I didn't mind the classy jazz remake of BeyoncÈ's "Crazy In Love" and the songs that actually DID sound authentic and stayed true to the time period of the film.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Frankly I found both the book and the movie from the 70's to be so boring I wanted to kill myself.  I mean honestly they could have made the movie 10 minutes long and the book 30 pages and it wouldn't have lost anything.  Sometimes I think they intentionally pick the WORST books ever written and make them part of the required curriculum in school.

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
Quote from: OllyDirectioner,May 27 2013 on  10:07 PM
Personally, I think the movie was overdone. There were ALOT of unnecessary things in the movie that didn't need to be there. I remember reading the book my junior year of high school for my English class. We watched the original movie that was made in the 70s, and I quite liked it. However, I was more than aggravated  :anger by the fact that they played RAP music at Gatsby's party in the 1920'S!!!!!!!!!! GRR MADE ME SO MAD!!!!!! >.<  :bang However, I didn't mind the classy jazz remake of BeyoncÈ's "Crazy In Love" and the songs that actually DID sound authentic and stayed true to the time period of the film.

As much as I love Beyonce and Jay-Z, with the exception of the Crazy in Love rearrangement, contemporary rap and R&B had no place in this movie. What was Baz thinking?? The only music remotely resembling "period correct" was Rhapsody in Blue but that wouldn't be composed until 10 years after the story took place. The 1920s is a fascinating period musically and to use a modern R&B/hip hop score is IMO totally disrespectful of the jazz and blues artists of the time. What? Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong weren't good enough for this film?
Call me a traditionalist, but at least Leo's performance was worth my time and money. Otherwise, I should've saved those $$$ and waited for the $1 Redbox rental.

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I understand exactly what you mean. That Baz Luhrmann guy seems like one of the worst directors ever!!!!!!  :bang He ruined Romeo + Juliet by placing the time period in the 1990s (when the film was made) yet making the characters talk like they were in the 14th century. It was just stupid. If you're gonna modernize Romeo and Juliet, make it more like West Side Story (one of my favorite movies ever!!!!! <3). He should have just let the characters speak normally. Moulin Rouge kind of annoyed me as well. My sister loves it, but for some reason I just never really got into it..  :neutral