The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Donkey Kong Country (1-3)

Simba King Of Pride Rock

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://madagascarpalace87.proboards.com/
Ok, before the mods get to this, I went through the video game area and saw an existing Donkey Kong thread, but it has not been posted in in seven years and this is for Donkey Kong Country  specifically. That said, here we go. I like all three games equally, and my favorite areas are the snow area, Gorilla Glacier, in DKC 1, the lava area, Crocodile Cauldron, in DKC 2 and the later water area, Cotton Top Cove, in DKC 3.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've seen some footage of the GBA versions of that.  I think they are the games where DK has Didley Kong, or whatever the smaller ape's name is with him.  If one is hit then you can play as the other one till you get a chance to free them from a barrel?  Looks like it may be easier then one where you have just 1 character like the Super Mario Brothers games.

Simba King Of Pride Rock

• Spike
    • View Profile
The smaller ape's name is Diddy Kong ("Diddy" being a British slang term for small). I have only ever played the SNES versions, and I have them on my Wii as well (I got them from the Wii download store).

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I recently bought an SNES and Donkey Kong Country at MAGfest. It was a big part of my childhood, being one of the first games I played whenever I visited my aunt's house on my cousin's SNES. I beat the game this weekend in fact. It's one of the best platformers of all time in my opinion. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Simba King Of Pride Rock

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Jan 19 2014 on  04:18 PM
I recently bought an SNES and Donkey Kong Country at MAGfest. It was a big part of my childhood, being one of the first games I played whenever I visited my aunt's house on my cousin's SNES. I beat the game this weekend in fact. It's one of the best platformers of all time in my opinion. :)
I totally agree with you there.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Why one of the best?   Something about the gameplay?

Simba King Of Pride Rock

• Spike
    • View Profile
That, they were fun (if hard in later levels) and the graphics were revolutionary for a game of that era (the first DKC was released in 1994).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The first 2 games were awesome and fun as heck! I liked the third one, too, but it was just a bit too strange for me at times, and I didn't like that Donkey was KIDNAPPED again and that the sidekick's sidekick had to come and save him and Diddy. It should have been Donkey and Dixie coming to save Diddy.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like a Super Princess Peach sort of game, where She has to go and rescue who is usually the main character.

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I played a lot of Donkey Kong Country. Mainly cause my dad got me an SNES when I wanted  an NES. The character I really thought was neat was Dixie. I LOVED having do the spinning, hovering technique she could do. I'll admit, though, I wasn't very good with the barrels (I canNOT aim to save my LIFE), but I absolutely SUCKED at the mine cart stages. I didn't care, though, cause I had a lot of fun with it, even though there were times I got frustrated.

Simba King Of Pride Rock

• Spike
    • View Profile
I want to express my feelings on my favorite levels of the DKC games. I will be doing these in batches.

DKC 1:

Jungle Hijinx- The very first level of the game. Very easy, but still fun.

Reptile Rumble- The first cave level. I enjoyed this part quite a bit, apart from the gaps.

Mine Cart Carnage- A mine cart level. I have so many fond memories of playing this part with my family.

Snow Barrel Blast- A very hard arctic level, especially toward the end when the snow effects become near-blinding.

Slipslide Ride- An ice cave level that follows the previous level. It is very hard, especially with icy ropes and bees.

Honorable Mentions- I also like the levels in the KremCroc Industries area. The levels there are hard, especially the one entitled Blackout Basement. There, the lights flicker on and off, obscuring the villains.

So, those are my current favorite levels. My next one will be about DKC 2.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Dixie King is Diddy's girlfriend, shes a trophy in super smash brothers melee m thats how i found out about her. never played any of the dkc games.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Simba King Of Pride Rock

• Spike
    • View Profile
^ You can find videos of all three on Youtube. There were these guys that did a commentary on three games as they played through each level.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
thanks. simba. its appreciated.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Watching a let's play can be fun and informative.

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jan 23 2014 on  11:33 PM
Watching a let's play can be fun and informative.
Indeed it can. Any new game I get, I immediately go find a Let's Play. I'll probably find one if I get another DK game.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
For those of you who don't know me, I was very much on the Sega side of the 90s console battles so I didn't get to play much of DKC until much later. That being said, being hugely into platformers, both DKC 1 and 2 were awesome and I really enjoyed Diddy Kong's Quest. DKC3 was in the same cannon but it just didn't capture it for me like #2 did. Maybe coz I didn't really enjoy playing as Kiddie Kong. He kinda just seemed like a pseudo-Diddy replacement without the charm. Also, gotta say, David Wise is an orchestral genius with his music. Lockerjaw's Saga (underwater level) is edgy and exciting and I absolutely love Stickerbrush Symphony and constantly listen to it like it a modern day chart topper (that the music for the Bramble Scramble styled levels).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think they should have had Donkey Kong in the 3rd game instead of kiddie or whatever his name was.   An interesting mix may have been Donkey & what'shername from the 2nd game.    Then each of the 3 would have been in 2 games each.  

Then there is the dkc returns game.  I've seen some let's play of that.  Diddy Kong is really just a accessory for Donkey Kong, lets him hover for short periods of time, and gives DK extra hit points.  2 in classic mode and 3 in new mode.   New mode, I think, DK has 3 hit points with Diddy providing another 3.   & he spends the whole time on DK's back.  Falling off if Diddy runs out of hit points.