The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Do you own a portable player?

Petrie. · 10 · 1350

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I have too many for my own good.  They all work and I often rotate through them all just to make sure they still do work.

Sony CD player (forgot model #, from 1988 and it can only do four hours on four AA batteries!!! :lol: )
Panasonic SLS262 CD player
Panasonic SL-SX420 CD/Mp3 player
Classic MP480 CD/Mp3 player
iriver IFP-795
Creative Zen MicroPhoto

Primarily I use my Zen these days, but I'm fretting over the day I need to replace the battery (which you can do yourself) but I've heard horror stories of how the player acts up with a new battery.  :blink:  They don't make these darn things to last anymore.  That first cd player I listed is practically made with metal and is heavy, but has survived the test of time.  Could a nano hold up to such a test?  Disposable plastic garbage....my iriver will be dead before long and its only about two years old.  I already need a flathead screwdriver to turn it on.  :rolleyes:  Can't complain about the convienence or the fact these devices sound really good but they are simply not durable.

So who else is on the portable music scene?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Don't have one, never will (not for casual listening, anyway). The closest thing to a portable music player at my place is a portable casset tape player/recorder.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I used to have a portable CD Player, but I don't care for it anymore. I'm not a fan of portable players.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Creative Muvo V100, 1GB

Not the most durable thing in the world but it doubles as a flash drive and works great in the car, connected to a cassette adapter. :D

I don't like how Creative markets this player though:
"500 songs" can supposedly fit on the 1GB version...though in the fine print it states that assumes 4 minute songs at 64 kbps.  I wonder how many people actually fill their mp3 players with 64 kbps files...even portable, I'd go with 128. I have been able to fit about 160 songs, each with a minimum quality of 128 kbps and length varying from 1:30 to 10:00

"Listen up to 18 hours of continuous music playback from a single standard AAA battery."
This is actually very accurate.  From a good-quality battery, this thing will literally go over 18 hours.  I was very impressed considering that's just a single AAA.

For your information: Batteries from the dollar store last 7 hours in this same player. :lol

A quick tip for those with Creative-brand portable players:
Protect your hearing with this chart.
http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/howto...ome.asp?c=6&t=4

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
If the MuVo took AA batts instead of AAA I would've considered that one.  That's why I went with the iriver.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Oh god.  I have every single player I could get my hands on.  I have an tape player, about 12 CD players, 5+mp3 players, 2 mp4 players, several weirdo players I've found at school and no one's claimed so they let me keep them, and 2 Ipod clones.  I only use the ipod clone though.  The ipod clone is a 4gb player that will play both video and audio and is almost indistinguishable from the original ipod nano.  It only costs around $60 and can hold all the LBT sequals and about half of the tv series.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the 8gb, which is $90.  It compresses the videos into a very small format, but the image and sound are still good.  A 702mb LBT movie (a dvd rip) will turn into only 80mb using the supplied converter.  It does lose a lot of quality, but you can only tell when you play it on a large screen.  The screen of the ipod clone is 150% bigger than the original nano.  It also comes with encryption technology.  You can make several partitions in it, making one of them encrypted.  Very handy to hide LBT stuff. ;)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Sep 15 2007 on  06:25 PM
Oh god.  I have every single player I could get my hands on.  I have an tape player, about 12 CD players, 5+mp3 players, 2 mp4 players, several weirdo players I've found at school and no one's claimed so they let me keep them, and 2 Ipod clones.  I only use the ipod clone though.  The ipod clone is a 4gb player that will play both video and audio and is almost indistinguishable from the original ipod nano.  It only costs around $60 and can hold all the LBT sequals and about half of the tv series.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the 8gb, which is $90.  It compresses the videos into a very small format, but the image and sound are still good.  A 702mb LBT movie (a dvd rip) will turn into only 80mb using the supplied converter.  It does lose a lot of quality, but you can only tell when you play it on a large screen.  The screen of the ipod clone is 150% bigger than the original nano.  It also comes with encryption technology.  You can make several partitions in it, making one of them encrypted.  Very handy to hide LBT stuff. ;)
These are all of the reasons why I want to stray from portable players. :P:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
The only portable player I've got is my 30Gb Video iPod. Got it as a Xmas pressie so can't really complain. Pretty much got every track I own on it and still got plenty of room.  :D I have to admit, I've kinda neglected my old CD player as a portable device, but I still use my stereo for my CDs and they'll probably migrate to my car........once I get one :P:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't own a portable player. I don't like using headphones so usually when I listen to music I'm either at home or singing / humming / whistling myself ;)

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Sandisk Sansa e130. Works great. Came with 512MB embedded, but I added a 2GB SD card, and it now holds almost all of my music and comedy.