The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The origin of HIV

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A recent study has apparently traced the origin of the human immunodeficiency virus to the city of Kinshasa in the 1920s.  This finding was made by using archived samples of HIV's genetic code to trace its source.  They monitored mutations in HIV's genetic code and used those as markers to trace its history.  The currently accepted theory on HIV's jump to humans, that it is a mutated version of a chimpanzee virus, is not contradicted by this evidence.  The original virus which still exists, simian immunodeficiency virus, probably made the species-jump through contact with infected blood while handling bush meat.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
interesting that they could trace it back that far to the start.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
To be honest, I am not all that surprised. Bushmeat consumption has been responsible for quite a number of zoonosis.

In fact, I would have been surprised if the research showed otherwise.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ Indeed.  The recent spread of Ebola is yet another example of a virus spread in part through bush meat handing.  Recent attempts to restrict bush meat consumption has failed miserably in Liberia and several other western African countries.  The main thing that surprised me is that they were able to supposedly trace HIV to a city with some degree of certainty.  I did not expect that level of precision.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is interesting they could trace it to a specific city.   I guess bush meat will be a permanent problem, unfortunately.  

Another big thing with disease getting started, mostly flues I think, is people who live in close proximity with pigs and chickens.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
And the moral of the story is, there is a reason why we don't handle bushmeat. There is a reason why bushmeat is technically illegal!
Heck, it seems like a good number of our viral diseases of horror come from bushmeat!

I want to think there's an economic reason for it, but then again, shouldn't there be alternatives that are much more sensible?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ A major problem for the region is that many of the people who consume bush meat (and it is a sizable portion in Liberia) is due to the desirable taste and the ability to make money selling the product, which is rather enticing in a poverty-stricken area.  In a recent Vice Guide News Documentary on the subject of Ebola and bush meat, a Liberian doctor who was working with potential Ebola patients even admitted that he did (and would continue to) eat bush meat.

The documentary can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XasTcDsDfMg

Another major issue is the lack of trust in governmental institutions and the lack of capacity in regional governments.  Even after imposing a ban they could not enforce it.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This gives me an eery feeling... what if they actually find out who exactly the first human to be infected with HIV was? Just think about it... basically, he or she is responsible for millions of people dieing and even more suffering from HIV. Of course it didn't happen on purpose but due to not knowing about the risks...
Inactive, probably forever.