The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Traveller's Journey

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Hello. Sorry I haven't been active lately, I had a lot of stuff going on. However, I've finally found the time to work on some writing. Without further ado here is my latest land before time story.

Prologue
I held my breath as Valens flipped the switches one by one. Great, just great. Another experiment. Dr Richard Valens was an eccentric, crazy scientist who took me in after my parents died in a car accident. Apparently it was so he could get to the family fortune. Of course, being their third and last cousin, he had access to the fortune only if he had custody of me.

Originally, I would go to my aunt Rebecca, but she to died from an infection. Apparently, it was a completely new organism, one that had no evident relatives.  I only realized it was one of Valens' creations eight years later, on my sixteenth birthday.

From then on, he used me as a Guinea pig. He gave me what he called the next step in evolution. These were needles that were filled with concoctions that gave me the strength, speed, and endurance of some of earth's most powerful predators. He used this to make me an assassin. I learned how to fight, how to kill, how to sneak past the most attuned senses.
Often, he would dump me in the wilderness to test my survival skills. I

He also had a fascination of going back in time. He was always building time machines, and testing them on me.

Usually, it ended with a massive electric shock and me getting my hair standing on end for the next ten hours. But this time, it went differently. I suddenly was thrown through a swirling vortex.
Finally, all was still. I opened my eyes. Instead of the black lab ceiling, a clear blue sky, dotted with white puffy clouds filled my eyes. I got up, and looked around. I checked the time watch. It showed time, but also the whole geologic span of time.

It was precisely 65,956,233 BC, April third, 9:12 P.M

Wow, when I left, it was 2016 AD, February 15th, 7:22 P.M. I was out of Valens' reach now. The coward would never follow me now, he would never use an invention unless he was 100% sure it was 100% safe. He was fine with risking my life, but he was to much of an asshole to test his hair rained schemes himself.

That meant I was free. I would never have to kill in his name again. I was completely and utterly free, with my own life. Then I realized something, I was in the time of the dinosaurs. I would always have to worry about whatever predators were in the area. I had seen enough movies to know precisely how dangerous these animals were.

But I had survived in the African Savannah, Alaskan Wilderness, and the Amazon. I could survive here.

Smiling, I checked the supplies I bought. I had snuck one of his hyper cubes(a device that could hold a house worth of items, while only the size of a pocket). I had enough food, water, and medical supplies for a month. I also snuck an AK-47, a Desert Eagle, and even one of Valens' Electro Swords. I was perfect.

With a smile, I began to head off to explore my new home. As I moved, I looked around at the beautiful scenery. It seemed cycads and ferns were the dominant form of plant. But I also saw conifers and other forms of plant life.

But there was something I was even more interested in finding. I wanted to see a dinosaur.
Then I heard something rustle in the leaves. I stopped, but continued to move. I heard another rustle, and a rock roll. I knew that sound. I had experienced it with lions in Africa. I had a plan. If this was a predator, then I needed to set a trap.

Pulling out a combat knife, I continued to walk as if I hadn't noticed. Then, the pounding of feet on the ground. My attacker charged out of the jungle, and leapt at me. I spun around, and my fist
made contact with its face, knocking it to the ground.

I put my foot on its throat and raised my knife. Then I saw my attacker. A baby T-Rex.

I stopped. I couldn't bring myself to kill a baby. Even a predator.

With a sigh, I let go of him, and backed off. "You're not going to kill me?" It asked.

I stopped in my tracks. Did the little guy just talk?!

Shaking, I raised my finger. "Did you just talk?!"

The little Rex nodded. I felt like I was about to faint. "Hey, I was hatched by flat teeth, you don't need to act so surprised." He said, trying to calm me down. "Flat teeth?" I asked.
The little guy looked at me strangely. "Um, I'm a sharptooth, aren't you a flattooth?" He asked. I shook my head. "What are you then? A no tooth?" He giggled.

"I'm a human, I come from..." I stopped. I could never say I came from a different time. "I come from across the sea. Far away from here."

"Sea?" The T-Rex raised a brow.

"That." I pointed to the ocean. "Oh, you mean big water." He realized. I shrugged. "Whatever you
say."

"So, what's your name?"

"Call me Jack." I replied. "Chomper."
I chuckled. This little dinosaur, no matter what he'd grow into, was adorable. He was so tiny, only two feet long. It was hard to believe what he'd grow up to be.

"What?"

"Nothing, I just expected a dinosaur to be less...adorable. I expected something fearsome and powerful."

"Hey, I could be fearsome and powerful!" Chomper protested. "Oh really, show me this ferocity."
He bared his teeth, sucked in some air, and let out his best roar. He then looked at me expectantly.

"Well, you scared that lizard away." I sighed. Then my instincts kicked in. Twirling around, I swung my electro sword through a dilophosaurus. It yelled in pain as it fell to the ground.
Another dilophosaurus ran out. It was bigger then the first, about 15 feet long. It had a blood red crest. I held my ground. The predator began to circle me. "Get behind me." I ordered to Chomper.  Chomper ran up to me.

The Dilophosaurus growled, and charged. I brought my sword through the air, colliding with the head of the predator. It roared in pain. It fell to the ground and died. I raised my sword.

"Surrender or die!" I snarled. The Dilophosaurus growled and attempted to bite me. I dodged it and drove the Electro-Sword into its chest.

It roared for a minute, before going limp.

"You just killed Red-Crest!" Chomper cried. I immediately felt nervous. Did I kill one of Chomper's friends? "Whose Red-Crest?" I asked. "You've never heard of Red-Crest?" Chomper cried in surprise.

I shook my head. "He was a friend of Crusher. He was his deadliest hunter. He constantly tried to kill me. Not even my daddy could defeat him!" Chomper replied.

"If Red-Crest was here, then..." Chomper went silent.

"Is this Crusher guy going to attack us?" I asked. I had a feeling I knew what was coming. "Red-Crest was Crusher's scout. If he came here, then Crusher's not far behind!"

"I got to tell Mommy and Daddy!" He cried.

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Chapter 1: No Matter What

I followed Chomper in the direction of his parent's nest. As we ran towards it, I got more and more worried. Yes, I saved his life, but I also nearly killed him. If he told his parents, they would no doubt rip me to shreds. Hopefully he didn't.

Finally, we rounded a corner, and two large Tyrannosaurs were lying on the ground, sleeping.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Chomper called, trying to wake them.

I watched, until my instincts took over. "Chomper! Get back!" I cried.

Chomper looked at me, then a Raptor leapt on top of him. Wasting no time, I fired my AK-47. The bullets killed the raptor instantly. I ran over, and helped Chomper. He had a deep gash on his chest.

It would probably leave a scar.

Then our worst fears came true. A massive grey Tyrannosaurus stepped out of the foliage, and stalked towards us. Blood was on his mouth and claws. Only then, did I realize what happened. It was a trap all along. This monster killed them in their sleep, while he sent his best hunter to kill Chomper. It was a systematic attempt to wipe out a family.
He smiled evilly, and roared. "Run." I told Chomper. The little sharptooth looked at me nervously. "I said run!" I roared. The T-Rex charged. Chomper ran, and I just barely dodged out of the way.

I slashed through his eye, and ran. The Rex roared in pain, and I hoped it would buy us enough time to escape. Finally, I caught up with Chomper near a land bridge. "We have to cross." I realized.

"We only used this once, three cold times ago." Chomper muttered. I nodded. It was risky, and it would take a long time, but it was the only way out. "Come on." I said.
In the end, we made it. After an hour of walking, we made it. We kept moving afterwards,  trying to get as far away from Crusher and his minions as possible.

Finally, as night fell, we began to set up camp for the night. I built a fire, and set up a tent.

Chomper didn't really know what that meant, but he was to subdued to care.

As he looked at the setting sun, I could see tears falling down his face. I walked over, and sat next to him.

"I know what you're going through." I said. Chomper looked at me. "Yes, my mom and dad died when I was very young."

Chomper looked down. "Will it always hurt like this?" He asked. "Yes. No one can ever truly replace your parents. Gradually, you will heal, but you will always miss them." I sighed.

"I can't say I'm much better then who took your parents." I growled. "What?! How could you say that?! You saved me twice! You didn't kill me when I attacked you!" Chomper protested.

I chuckled. "The reason I'm here is because..." I paused. "Because I was the henchman of a monster."

"This guy, Valens. He was my parent's cousin. He experimented on me. It's why I am so strong and fast. He used me as a living weapon. He threw me into the wilderness to teach me to survive. I killed so many people for him. I was no better then Crusher."

Chomper looked at me in shock. Then his eyes narrowed.

"That may be the past, but I know that you saved me. You are a good person at heart." He declared. I laughed. "I wish. How can I atone for all of the death I've caused? You're probably no safer with me, then with Crusher."

Chomper sighed. "I have friends. They're leaf eaters. Yet they trusted me."

"They're the only ones we can go to now."

I looked at Chomper. He was wise beyond his years. He reminded me so much of a kid I babysat when I was twelve. So kind, so nice, so trusting. I refused to break that trust.

"Chomper, I know I can't substitute for your parents. Heck, I don't want to try. But I promise, I will always be there for you. No matter what." I declared.

"No matter what?" Chomper asked. I nodded. He smiled, and hugged me. I was surprised by this.
But I returned the hug. "No matter what."

After that, Chomper slowly fell asleep. But I couldn't. I needed to keep watch. I knew there were many animals that would prey on a young Tyrannosaur, and I needed to make sure that none attacked us in the middle of the night.

So I took the opportunity to play a little on my computer. I got it for my seventeenth birthday, the only present Valens ever gave me. And it was because, he insisted, I pursue knowledge. He demanded that no games be installed, and that I only use under his supervision. But now I could actually use it.

Of course, there was no internet, but Microsoft Word still existed, and I did have some of my favorite games that I smuggled past Valens available. I began playing one of my favorites, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis. Based on the hit book by Michael Crichton, the game was awesome. I swear they should have made a movie out of the book, but with no director interested in doing so, it never got off the ground.

I had a lot of mods on there, and began to build a park. Then, when a T-Rex attacked a goat, Chomper woke up.

"What's that?" He asked, rubbing his eyes. Then he saw the game. It took thirty minutes to explain to him the concept of video gaming. But he seemed intrigued by it. Especially one about dinosaurs.
He asked if I could show more of it to him tommorow. With a smile, I said yes. After Chomper went back to sleep, I slowly tried to fight back sleep myself. Finally, after a long battle, I gave in, and sleep took me.

The next morning, I woke up to see Chomper trying to play the game. He had some trouble with pretty much everything, so I had to show him what to do. But when he figured it out, he got really good.

He wasn't that interested in opening the park, and more interested in the dinosaurs. We built a size able Site B of wild dinosaurs. But Chomper was of course sad that the dinosaurs couldn't get along. Nevertheless, he found the behavior extremely accurate to how dinosaurs actually behaved.
Soon after that, we began to continue our trek. Chomper continued to talk about a great valley, where all herbivores could live free of carnivores. I asked why they would let him in then.
"We'll cross that river when we come to it." He replied.

I shook my head. I really saw no way they would let us in, unless we did something courageous.

And unless Crusher invaded the valley, then I had my doubts.

As we moved, I saw that a large amount of the area was desert. There were some patches of forest and grassland, but the vast majority were desert canyons.

We continued to move over the next few days, until we reached the walls of the valley. Suddenly, the ground began to shake.

"Earthshake!" Chomper cried. "We need to find cover!" I realized. However, just as suddenly as it began, the earthquake ended. It was only fifteen seconds. However, something even worse soon
became apparent.

Crusher, and a huge pack of raptors and dilophosaurus walked out of the mountains.

"Finally." He growled. "What do we do Crusher?" A green raptor asked. "We march in, and we drive the herbivores to the other side, and then we kill them all." Crusher growled.

"And it's not Crusher anymore. It's Redclaw."

With an evil grin, the mighty predator led his pack. "Spread out and take the valley systematically. Drive the sap suckers to the other side, and we'll stick them off one by one."
Redclaw let out a great roar, and the pack charged.

Me and Chomper looked at each other in horror. The valley would be no match. "What do we do?" Chomper asked nervously. "We have to fight. I have some weapons we could use. Just make sure you don't miss." I handed Chomper my desert eagle, and belt with a holster, and an electro dagger.

"Attack from the right, I'll go on the left." I decided. Chomper nodded. Then he gave me a salute. I chuckled. "Alright little soldier, let's move out." I declared.

We charged after them.

They were a good half mile in front of us, so we had to pursue. After half an hour of chase, we reached the northern part of the valley. The whole valley was trapped in a small canyon.
Redclaw ordered a stop. "Alright boys, take your pick." He smirked. I fired a gunshot into the air. "Hey, missing something you colossal fossil?" I asked. Redclaw's eyes narrowed to slits. "You." He snarled

I pulled out my AK, and opened fire. Two raptors fell. I through the rifle away, and activated my electro-sword. The pack surged forward. I met them. Any other human would be dead, but I had a brilliant reaction time, and was able to slowly whittle the pack's numbers away.
Redclaw watched the battle with interest. Then a gunshot rang out. We turned, and Chomper charged in. He bit a raptor's tail, and drove the dagger into its neck. We continued to slash and cut through our foes. Until they began to run in a headlong rout.

Finally, only Redclaw was left. The three of us circled each other. Redclaw lunged forward, and I charged at him. I dodged is initial bite, and swung my sword, grazing his jaw.
Chomper meanwhile grabbed his pistol and began to launch cover fire into Redclaw's side. The continual slashing and hail of bullets finally drove Redclaw to the brink. Finally, he ran. Ran from the valley, deep into the mountains. We were victorious.

I grabbed my rifle, and began to fire, hoping to get a lucky shot. But no such luck. He escaped.
After he was out of sight, me and Chomper looked at each other. We had done it. We had won the battle. We then turned back to the valley. They looked at us in shock. We had just killed or chased off over a dozen sharpteeth.

Finally, a large, blue-gray apatosaurus stepped forward. "Thank you for saving us. Who are you?" He asked. I already began to feel safer. This dinosaur had an air you instantly could trust.

"My name is Jack, this is Chomper." I introduced. Chomper waved sheepishly.  I saw some dinosaurs narrow their eyes at this. Instinctively, I prepared to defend him. Just incase some leaf eaters tried to harm him.

"Well, Jack, the Great Valley would like to thank you for defending us. Is there anything we can do for you?" The Apatosaurus asked.

"Well, me and my companion are looking for a safe place to stay..." I began. "No, no sharpteeth are going to be aloud here." A hadrosaur declared.

I narrowed my eyes. "Even one that saved your pathetic life?" I spat. "I could crush you with my
eyes closed." The same dinosaur snarled. "Prove it." I snarled, pulling out my sword.

"Enough both of you! It's clear that we are in their debt. We should at least honor that by voting on whether or not to allow them in." An old female Apatosaurus declared. Nods of approval by a number of dinosaurs occurred. "Very well, we'll vote on it." A Triceratops grumbled.

In the end, the result was...