The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Windrider Valley Quest

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
I've had the idea for this story in my head for literally ages (dating back to my big Guido phase several years ago), and recently I finally started working on it. I had been thinking I'd save it for a fanfic prompt somewhere down the line...but meh, I don't want to wait that long. :p It's a story centering around everyone's favorite glider, with some self-discovery/coming-of-age happenings planned--yes, Guido's mysterious origins are about to come into focus! Here goes the first chapter...

The crisp, cool breeze wafting through the Great Valley made tree stars twirl through the air and trees dance in the wind. Everything seemed to be lighter than air today – including the little green dinosaur who was soaring through the clouds.

“I can’t believe it!” Guido exclaimed to himself as the wind whipped through his feathers. “All this flight practice has really paid off – I’ve never gotten this high up before!” He laughed happily. “Plus, I’m not even scared!”

But then he made the mistake of looking down at the valley below him, at the dinosaurs who seemed no bigger than ants, and he gulped.

“Yikes!” he cried, closing his eyes. As he took a deep breath, he shakily muttered, “Alright, one triumph at a time…”

BAM!

“WHOA!” he shouted when the unseen force smacked into him. Shaking the dizziness from his head, he woozily muttered, “Okay: flying with my eyes closed, bad idea…”

Then his eyes came into focus. Whatever else he had been about to say took flight from his mind as he laid eyes on something he had thought impossible. With wide eyes, he gasped.

There, right in front of him, was a creature with his broad wings, his long tail, even his covering of feathers. He and she were the same, two-of-a-kind. The only major differences between them were her bluer plumage, her longer head feathers, and her shorter stature.

As she up floated alongside him, she quickly smiled. “Hi there! Nice day for a little flight out, right?”

“Y-y-you…” Guido stammered, his mouth unable to keep up with the rush of thoughts that were flooding his mind right then. “You’re…just like me!” he finally blurted. “This is, a-ah, I-I don’t believe it! I always thought, I mean, u-uh…oh boy!”

“I know,” the other creature laughed, looking at Guido a little uncertainly. “Low air pressure takes a toll sometimes, doesn't it?”

Too busy with his nervous yammering to realize that she thought he was just losing his mind, Guido rambled, “Thi-This is such a surprise, I can’t even think straight! I mean – oh my gosh, I’m so dizzy right now, I-I feel like I’m falling –”

“You are falling!” the other creature exclaimed, astonished at his cluelessness.

“What?” Guido whipped his head back, and that was when he realized that the valley appeared to be growing larger and larger. Worse yet, the wind screamed in his ears as he plunged through the clouds.

“HELP!” he shrieked, frantically flailing his arms in a desperate effort to right himself again, while the only effect it had was to make him look even more ridiculous.

“Hey, don’t panic!” his companion tried to reassure him as she continued to soar at his side. “You see that tree down there, right?”

Guido forced himself to look at the ground, which he found was rushing at him even more quickly that before. Quickly turning away again, he yelped, “W-What tree??! There’s a ton of trees!”

“The tree that you’re about to get flattened on if you don’t stop freaking out and get a grip!” the girl laughed. “Come on, this is basic flight.”

“But I-I’ve only been flying about a few days!”

“Oh!” the girl exclaimed, shocked. “Now I see why you’re panicked! Just listen, then – grab the tip of that big leaf and use it to slingshot yourself around, alright? GO!”

“Wait, what??!” Guido shrieked, but she was already swooping away to the ground.

It was a good thing that adrenaline had taken full hold of him, or there was no way Guido would have been able to even process, let alone pull off, the girl’s advice. Hollering in pure terror as he took hold of the largest leaf on the tree he’d been about to smack into, he gripped it with all his might and swung himself in a circle at breakneck speed. Letting go once he’d whipped all the way around, he launched back towards the sky, doing a series of clumsy flips through the air before his wings opened with a sudden POOF!

Breathing in and out rapidly, Guido saw that the girl was waiting for him on the ground below, and he managed to veer towards her. But after all he had been through only in the last minute or so, he felt as if his brain had been shattered by an earthshake. That was why, after tumbling onto the grass, Guido promptly fainted.

Not long afterward, he was awakened by a frigid SPLOOSH!

Coughing, spluttering, and soaking wet as he came to, Guido realized the girl was setting him down on the banks of the fast water, having just dunked him in.

“So, now that you’re awake: question. How in the world are you a windrider who only just learned to fly?!” the girl inquired.

Guido blinked. “I’m a windrider?”

The girl spread out her arms in disbelief. “What is with you?? It’s like you were born yesterday!” She didn't sound irritated so much as dumbfounded.

“I-I’m sorry,” Guido said. “Really sorry, it’s just – I don’t remember anything about where I came from, a-and hardly anything about who I am! And, I mean, I’ve been that way all my life! Or at least, all my life as far as I can remember…” He scratched his head. “Oh – uh, I guess I should mention my name’s Guido.”

“Zephyr,” the girl introduced herself, extending her hand to him.

After Guido placed his hand in hers, the energy in Zephyr’s handshake made it clear that she was a powerhouse. Guido’s hand, in contrast, had no choice but to remain passive and limp while it was taken along for this ride, seeming just as awkward as its owner.

“Well, get ready for some life-changing news,” Zephyr declared in a tone that dripped with feigned drama. “Just like every other windrider there is, you had to have come from Windrider Valley!”

“Windrider Valley…” Guido repeated. “We have a whole valley?!” he gasped in amazement.

“Mmm-hmm,” Zephyr confirmed. “Don’t be too impressed, though. I was actually just leaving – I can tell you that, now that I know you aren’t some scout my parents sent or something.”

“You left?” Guido asked. “But – why? All I ever wanted was to find someone out there like me, who could understand me – and you had a whole valley of them, but you left?”

“Hey, just ‘cause you’re the same species as somebody sure doesn’t mean they understand you!” protested Zephyr. “Once you enter your teens, they expect you to jump on board with all their silly coming-of-age traditions – and I’ve had it.”

“That’s it?” Guido asked. “W-Well – traditions don’t scare me,” he announced. “I’m going to Windrider Valley!” he cried joyfully. He tried to thrust his fist into the air to make his point, but he ended up banging his knuckle against the branch above him instead. “Ow…!”

Zephyr stifled a laugh. “Are you okay?”

Guido flushed red as he held his sore hand in his mouth. “Yeah…I-I’m fine.”

Zephyr shook her head. “Oh, man, they’re gonna eat you alive…”

“I don’t care! Now that I know they’re out there, I can’t just not go!” Guido insisted. “Unless – unless you literally meant that about the eating, that they would literally, actually eat me. I’d care about that…”

“Of course not,” giggled Zephyr. “So, what do you want, directions?”

“Yeah, yeah, definitely!” Guido shouted.

“Fine, then,” Zephyr agreed, “but don’t say I didn’t warn you. The second you set wing in that place, they’ll want you to –”

“Found you!” a voice called from behind the two windriders.

Zephyr suddenly jerked back, and Guido turned around, too, as a windrider larger than both of them landed on the ground, stirring up a rush of air as he brought in his navy-blue wings. He raised his eyebrows as his gaze fell on Zephyr.

“Hey, Eddy,” Zephyr quickly greeted him, immediately putting on a casual attitude that would have had Guido convinced. “What's up?”

“Zephyr…” the larger glider scolded, shaking his head as if he was talking to an amusing little kid.

“What’s the matter? A girl can’t go out for a nice, long flight on a sunny day?” Zephyr asked defensively.

“You’re not fooling anyone, little sis,” lectured Eddy. “Your rebelliousness was never a secret.” His eyes fell on Guido next. “Who’s your partner-in-crime?”

“Okay, I’m being honest this time – he wasn’t with me,” explained Zephyr. “We just sort of – BOOM! – ran into each other, you know?” She smacked her hands together to illustrate.

“Yeah, really!” Guido added, rushing forward. Then, in one breath and lots of excited hand motions, he blurted, “Hey – my name’s Guido, I’ve been wandering around on my own all my life, I had no idea what I even was until now, and I really-really-really want to meet the rest of my kind!”

“Whoa,” Eddy said, frowning in amusement at Guido’s motormouth, “hold on a moment. What are you trying to say?”

“I want to go to Windrider Valley!!” Guido cried, practically diving at Eddy in his excitement.

Zephyr made a dismayed face.

Eddy chuckled. “Good news, then – you have to!”

“Alright!” Guido whooped, jumping for joy. But then he suddenly stopped as he fully absorbed the sentence. “Say what, now?”

“Windrider Valley is home to the only windrider colony in the world,” Eddy explained. “It’s the perfect place for us – that is why it’s called Windrider Valley. Come on, it’s time to take off!” He began nudging Guido and Zephyr forward, towards the wind, then set about unfolding his sister’s wings.

Zephyr quickly pulled away. “Alright already. If you’re going to make me go home, at least let me open my own wings.”

“Fine,” Eddy nonchalantly agreed, rolling his eyes as he moved to help Guido instead.

“But – wait! I didn’t really mean leave right this second!” Guido protested. “I didn’t even get to say goodbye to Petrie!” he yelped. There was nothing he could do, however, as his wings caught the wind, and the group was off. “Aw…”

For a minute, there was no sound but the wind whistling by as the windriders soared towards the horizon. Guido felt too awkward to know what to say, Zephyr was too annoyed to speak, and Eddy had been born a flier of few words.
However, it was Eddy who finally broke the silence.

“So…” he wondered, sounding puzzled, “what’s a Petrie?”

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
The story has only just begun and we're off with a rather fast pace, not that there's anything wrong with that, but take into account that usually too fast paced stories tend to bore the reader to an extent. Fortunately, none of that happened here. I'm glad you picked Guido for this one, because his story in the canon is largely undone and incomplete, so it is up to us fanfiction writers to fill in the gaps. Another fanfic author, Sovereign, did a similar story not too long ago, but the difference here is that Guido never met another of his species while in the Great Valley in his story. We've only just met Zephyr so we can't really judge her character yet, but I kinda like her already.

You would expect that someone like her, who knows all about the ins and outs of being a windrider wouldn't take kindly to someone so inexperienced as Guido, but thankfully their first encounter was the exact opposite. Did you come up with the species name yourself or did you find it from somewhere/did someone help you with it? In any case, it fits Guido's kind very well. I'll be looking forward to what lies for Guido in the future. Shame he didn't get to say goodbye to any of his friends, though. I'm sure he's not going to be happy about that. :(

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
@Anagnos Thanks for your review! As someone who usually drags out the beginning of her longer stories more, I know exactly what you mean about a fast pace. I had thought about allowing for some more exposition, but I realized that LBT 12 basically was the exposition to Guido's story as it was (and unfortunately, it never escalated much beyond that). I didn't feel like there was much I could add about Guido's feelings towards being one of a kind without being redundant. I'm glad to hear this didn't get too rushed or boring for you, so I hopefully made the correct choice. But rest assured things are definitely going to go at a more leisurely pace as Guido adjusts to life in another valley.

Yeah, soon after I joined the forum, I read Sovereign's Guido story and enjoyed it. In fact, it was probably part of what moved me to finally put my own ideas for a Guido story onto paper.

I'm so glad to hear that Zephyr has made a good first impression, because I spent a while tweaking her dialogue and actions in the hopes of achieving that. In my earlier drafts of this chapter, it was easy to end up writing her as the stereotypical know-it-all or the mean-spirited snarker, but I definitely didn't want her to be that kind of unlikable stereotype, so I kept rewriting until I was satisfied with how she turned out.

I'm happy that Guido's species name fits into the LBT world, because yep, I came up with it. (At least, I'm pretty sure I did--if I subconsciously picked it up from somewhere else, anyone's welcome to let me know!) As for Guido's feelings about leaving behind his friends, that's something that'll be talked about in the next chapter. To be continued! Thanks again for the feedback!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Windrider Valley Quest:  https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16977.msg519352;boardseen#new

This initial chapter is a clear example that pacing can clearly shape a narrative and the feeling behind character interactions.  In one chapter we have had:

Guido having a near-death experience (not uncommon, but still...  :bestsharptooth)
Guido colliding with another of his kind
The other wind-rider telling him that others of his kind live in one place
The news that this other wind-rider was trying to escape from their valley
Guido going off with them without telling his friend

Now, normally this would be way too much in one chapter, but here it works well.  It clearly establishes that things are developing at a breakneck (pun intentional considering Guido's luck  :facepalm  :bestsharptooth) pace.  It also puts us clearly in Guido's confused state of mind.

I do look forward to seeing how this story develops. :)  I am also curious to see if the gang might get involved in searching for wayward Guido.  If so, we might see what happens when two valleys collide.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I initially had a hunch this was some kind of concussion-triggered flashback, given that Zephyr acknowledged him so casually though their kind is something of a rarity.  Of course, I couldn't be more wrong, but I very much prefer the route you took.

'Windrider'?  That's a pretty cool designation for his species.

A 'scout' her parents sent?  Hmm.  Is she some saurian equivalent of a princess?  I doubt they'd go to the effort for a less 'important' member of their society.

Zephyr may not have had the chance to give details, but I'm guessing these coming-of-age traditions would be particularly brutal for Guido, whose strength and flight capabilities would be subpar in comparison to most of his species.  Throw in a Darwinian element and he's in serious trouble.

Great start!  Kinda brings to mind Rio and its sequel.  We've only had a taste, but the characterisation is quite good.  Can't wait to see the world building you employ with this new valley.

The Mr E

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Merry Christmas @RainbowFaceProtege!  I've decided to surprise a few fanfic writers with some art of their stories!  Not really sure if this is allowed, but I decided to drop this here as well as here https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17064.msg523019#msg523019.  To the admins, feel free to remove this post if this isn't the place for it.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:33:39 PM by The Mr E »