The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Some unanswered questions about LBT 2

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
A lot has been debated about the LBT reviews by Marzgurl and in the respective discussion I pointed out my view that she provided some points which detached from the criticism are really worth some discussion for those who are interested in LBT. I'll just make a start with some of the stuff she pointed out about LBT 2 and in the end we might end up with several more threads on some of the other episodes. Whatever else one may think about her reviews I think it may be difficult to argue that the provision of topics for speculation or discussion was a bad thing.
Also I must say with her review I was mostly surprised about one thing that she did NOT point out if I was to give a critical review of LBT 2, namely the fact that apparently Littlefoot doesn't have any problems whatsoever (the very short initial fright hardly counts) to befriend a sharptooth after what may be mere weeks from the day that a sharptooth killed his never even mentioned mother.
Anyway, as for the stuff she did point out it is indeed interesting to ask about some events that must have taken place off screen during the events of LBT 2. How did Ozzy and Strut ever manage to get away alive and unhurt from the volcano? The last we see of them is them falling / jumping into a canyon of undetermined depth with lava pouring into that canyon from above. Based on what we did see what we did not see must have been a possibly unlikely but in any case very narrow and possibly spectacular escape from a situation that may have been more perilous than most of what the main characters got into during the movie.
Another not quite so spectacular but nevertheless noteworthy off screen matter would be whatever Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike were doing during the final part of the movie. It is arguably simply poor script writing that from the moment Ducky announced the likelihood of "big trouble" to the farewell to Chomper we didn't see anything of them, presumably because they wanted to focus on Littlefoot and Chomper only in that scene. The matter of the difficult relationship between everyone but Littlefoot and Chomper was therefore kind of abandoned as an element of the plot. But what exactly WERE Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike doing during that time?
Obviously the did ignore the grownups order to stay where they were and they even managed to get to the gap in the wall before the grownups did (who by the laws of time and likelihood probably ought to have been there even before the eggeaters and Littlefoot). They showed up at a convenient time apparently knowing about everything that had happened till then but all that leaves a lot of room for speculation.
Points that were not mentioned by Marzgurl, but that I find interesting topics to talk about would be the fate of Ozzy and Strut (were they those Ozzy- and Strut-like-looking eggeaters we saw at the head of an eggeater stampede in LBT 4?) and also something about how much Littlefoot's grandparents may or may not have figured out about what Littlefoot had been doing (about Chomper).
Listening to the dialogue between Littlefoot and his grandpa at the gap in the Great Wall I do wonder how much Littlefoot's grandpa may have figured out and how much was left to guesswork for him.

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
You do make some valid statements about this sequel. Not only did the film leave a few unanswered questions, but there were also a couple of errors in the animation.

And about the lava; yeah, I would've just loved to see of how Ozzy and Strut were able to get themselves out of that mess...

I've always found it kind of funny of how Strut stupidly jumped off of the cliff after his brother fell; either he's stupid, just a follower, or that he does deeply care about Ozzy...

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
How did Ozzy and Strut ever manage to get away alive and unhurt from the volcano? The last we see of them is them falling / jumping into a canyon of undetermined depth with lava pouring into that canyon from above.

Oh, I don’t think the writers and artists were as careless here as they are often made out to be. I think one picture answers the question of their survival quite nicely. You see, I disagree that the depth was undetermined, and escaping the lava flowing down is merely a matter of gravity of saving the day. The image I am referring to is this:

As you can see, the depth is shown rather clearly. Furthermore, the lava is flowing down from the right side of the log. Looking at the ground, you can see that it is at a sharp decline, and the downward slope is also going right. Therefore, it makes sense that when the log collapsed, they avoided the lava entirely, because it was flowing downward, not filling up an area, and the flow was far enough away from the log’s dropping point. Now, just before the log collapses, we see that it is starting to flow below the log, but it starts so soon before the log breaks, and the flow is so slow, that it still makes sense for them to hit the bottom long before the lava reached the point where they landed. The drop really isn’t that large for a dinosaur, especially an adult, to fall into. Several adults fell from a much larger cliff in III and had no apparent injuries at all. So surviving the drop itself makes sense. Avoiding burns makes sense. They clearly just ran up the incline to get away from the lava.

Another not quite so spectacular but nevertheless noteworthy off screen matter would be whatever Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike were doing during the final part of the movie. It is arguably simply poor script writing that from the moment Ducky announced the likelihood of "big trouble" to the farewell to Chomper we didn't see anything of them, presumably because they wanted to focus on Littlefoot and Chomper only in that scene. The matter of the difficult relationship between everyone but Littlefoot and Chomper was therefore kind of abandoned as an element of the plot. But what exactly WERE Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike doing during that time?

The kids knew at this point that they were in trouble after what happened, so they probably did not want to get on the bad side of their families any further. When Littlefoot ran off, Cera explained why they stayed. “Your grandpa said to stay here!” The kids don’t ALWAYS disobey, as we can see, at least, not at first. I’d wager they did as they were told for a while, then decided in the end that they really should help Littlefoot after all. Remember VI? Littlefoot decides to fix things and they stick around, then they suddenly realize how big of a deal it was what he had in mind, so they went after him. “You came for me!” “Don’t we always?” So as far as I can tell, they knew the thin ice they were on so obeyed at first, but their concern for Littlefoot won over and they went after him. It is possible that they even went after him fairly quickly after he took off, and the reason their meeting took so long was simply that they could not find Littlefoot very quickly. I can see one of them shouting, “Hey, I finally found Littlefoot! He’s up on that ledge with Chomper. Let’s go see him off.”

Obviously the did ignore the grownups order to stay where they were and they even managed to get to the gap in the wall before the grownups did (who by the laws of time and likelihood probably ought to have been there even before the eggeaters and Littlefoot).

The Great Valley is large. The adults did not even notice the hole until the kids said so. Furthermore, after the grownups learned of it, they never asked the kids where it was, so they clearly went off searching for this hole on their own with no guidance, so it would make sense for those who knew where they were going to get there before those walking aimlessly.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I just call it either lazy writing or a messy plot. Ultimately, I think Ozzy & Strut was just either a plot device or just a weak excuse for villains. It is true that Littlefoot out of every all of his other friends took the little sharptooth lightly. But here is a question that I have about Chompers parents. Where did they go? Why was Chompers egg left in the Mysterious Beyond without any supervision?
And I highly doubt that Ozzy or Strut would survive a jump from a cliff. And why would Strut jump to his doom along with Ozzy?

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
Quote from: oogaboo,Jun 1 2011 on  07:03 PM
But here is a question that I have about Chompers parents. Where did they go? Why was Chompers egg left in the Mysterious Beyond without any supervision?

They were looking for food? :huh: