The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land Before Time: Twilight Valley

Serris · 237 · 31904

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Okay, I ran into a little problem.

I have no idea what Excidium would call the dinosaurs who were enhanced by the Stone of Cold Fire. I already came up with a name for the resurrected heroes (no spoiler).

I was going to call them "Diamond Claws" but I realized that a hero (who will appear later) already has that name (Diamond-Claw).

I also considered the name "Crystal Claws" after their most prominent feature: crystalline claws that can tear through rock. I really do not like this name, though

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The dinosaurs reincarnated by the Stone of Cold Fire are called Reborn.

I just do not know what to call LIVING dinosaurs who were enhanced by contact with the stone.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I don't know if this will be a good one, but how about Shadow Claws for the Claw Valley dinosaurs that are enhanced by the Stone of Cold Fire. I was wondering if some of the Great Valley dinosaurs will also be enhanced by the Stone of Cold Fire before the final battle and they could be called Silver Claws.

(Here's a few names that sould be enhanced by the Stone of Cold Fire?!)

Littlefoot

Excidium

Strut

Ozzy

Pterano

Sierra

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Hmmm...not sure if these will be good suggestions or not, but what about Fire Skins? Cold Fire Claws? Or perhaps Super Scales?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Elite?  Crystal (or Diamond) Squad?  Claw Warriors?  I dunno, just a couple of ideas :unsure:.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the replies. I still have not decided on the name yet but I narrowed it down to 6 choices:

Shadow Claws

Shadow Battalion

Elite Cadre (a shout out to Tiberian Sun)

Fire Claws

Crystal Battalion

Diamond Battalion.

I will let you all know the choice when I finish this chapter.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
2nd Anniversary of TWV!

Now standing at 32 chapters and 140,383 words!

Expect a new chapter sometime tomorrow or even today!

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh dear, it looks like 'today or tommarrow' turned into an entire week  :lol

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes! It's here! Chapter 33 is online!

Chapter 33

--------------------------

Caustizer, I am reading your latest story Far Away Home and I want to ask permission for the Wingtails' artifacts to make an appearance in the story or an allusion to their glassworking prowess.

I am not sure how I will do it yet.

--------------------------

Author's Notes

Credit to CT for naming the "enhanced sharpteeth". Her name: Diamond Squad.

The title comes from the Lyrics of Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins. Listen to it (with lyrics) here.

Cirrus's first flute melody "Beyond the Skies" is actually an imagined flute rendition Sky Tower from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue. Listen to it here.

Cirrus's signal melody is actually Dialga's Fight to the Finish from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Tijme/Darkness/Sky. Listen to it here.

An alternate for Cirrus's signal melody is Sacrifice (Through the Sea of Time) from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Tijme/Darkness/Sky here.

Parachuting Raptix is directly lifted from Falcon88's War of the Worlds.

Caustizer gets all credit for naming the resurrected dinosaurs. His name: Reborn.

(EDIT - 20:19 - 2/7/10 = additional author's notes added.)
(EDIT - 2:46 - 2/27/10 = fixed broken link)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Of course you can do it!

There is still a lot more to the whole glass story though, and at some point we encounter a decendant of the Grand Creator who creates actual figurines from glass.

It's nice to see your reading my story as well  :smile

Now, let's see what you have for us this week...

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I was truely impressed with this chapter... with the pattern things had been going I wasn't expecting so much to happen in a such a short amount of time, but I suppose thats how war is.

This may seem like a terrible thing to say, but you certainly cleaned things up pretty good with the OCs.  To be honest I didn't remember who half of them were, but one of the greatest plot devices to garner sympathy for an unknown character is to kill them and you made great use of this to keep the entire chapter interesting.

I also loved the bit with the Reborn & Diamond Claws at the very beginning, as it reminded us readers that Excidium is still out there and still has visions of conquest that go far beyond just the Great Valley.  The division of the main enemies between Ms. Maia and Excidium really proves to be like a Sauron-Saruman thing from Lord of the Rings and really adds a nice touch to the story.  One way or another, the reckoning will come for both villians - but next on the list is likely going to be Excidium.

Also, I couldn't help but think of this song during the first bit :Red Dusk

EDIT: make sure you answer my question on your Ask Me thread as it's quite important to my FW plans.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Feb 5 2010 on  02:10 PM
Of course you can do it!

There is still a lot more to the whole glass story though, and at some point we encounter a decendant of the Grand Creator who creates actual figurines from glass.

It's nice to see your reading my story as well  :smile

Now, let's see what you have for us this week...
Thank you for the review.

-----------------------

I'm thinking that the group, en route to Claw Valley, stumbles upon the remains of an old Wingtail glassmaking site close to the Valley. The glassmaking site will appear to have been ravaged by battle. I will not spoil the rest of the allusion.

But 1 question, do Wingtail artisans actually harvest the lava from these vents with long sticks or do they use the vents as a "furnace"?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wingtails would collect special rocks they called 'lyestones' (aka Obsidian) and melt it by placing it near a lava vent.  Once it was hot enough to be maleable, it would be removed and shaped into the desired shape using metal rods rolled in a similar process.

As per the Wingtail part in the war, Claw would have to pose a significant threat to their society as a whole to rise up.  Remember if you are planning anything major regarding this you will have to let Sky know, because they are after all his creation  :smile

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That was an interesting development, Wingtails have metal tools. Thank you for the information.

As I said, no Wingtails will appear in the story, only their artifacts and tools.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Glad to see ya liked Diamond Squad :D.

This has to be the bloodiest chapter yet, with the number of protagonists that got whacked.  I had an "Aw, s***!" moment when Rytho died :cry.  Good aim on Ducky's part, though.  That takes care of Procella :p, and now it looks like the countdown has narrowed down to Ms. Maia.

EDIT: I wonder how Ms. Swimmer will take Ducky telling her of Saurolo's fate :(.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea on  
Also, if you weren't planning to already, I think you should have Mo play a further role in the next chapter. Despite being given a scouting assignment, he didn't really play an active or independent role in the rescue, and sort of comes off as just having been inserted into the chapter for the sake of a cameo.

I really have no idea how to involve Mo in the next chapter. All I could think of was a "naval" battle with some of the Cloud Island dinosaurs trying to kill them before they get to High Tree Island but that sounds rather...bizarre.

So any suggestions for me?

-------------------------

Also, at Pangaea's suggestion, I revamped Chapter 33.

Nublar's fate is revealed (give you a hint, it is NOT pretty). Ed's death is acknowledged. Ms. Swimmer's fight with the sickleclaw is modified somewhat.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Feb 12 2010 on  12:54 PM
I really have no idea how to involve Mo in the next chapter. All I could think of was a "naval" battle with some of the Cloud Island dinosaurs trying to kill them before they get to High Tree Island but that sounds rather...bizarre.

So any suggestions for me?
Well...since they've recruited him as a scout, perhaps he could swim upriver to the Great Valley (reversing the path the gang took to the Big Water in LBT IX) to spy on Styracus's herd for them.

EDIT: Good revisions, especially the one involving Ed. :yes

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.