The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

HP Pavillion dv2000, dv6000, dv9000 Series Laptops

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've known about this defect for at least two years now, but I thought I should bring this up here in case a member has one of these laptops or finds a used one for an incredible deal (they're out there like crazy right now).  This is my brief explanation of the defect with the models:

The issue with this series of laptop is the Nvidia chip becomes too hot due to the fact that both the CPU and the GPU are sharing the same heat sink and fan!  This was a VERY bad idea.  The processor is an AMD and the CPU is an Nvidia.  Both are the hottest type of CPU and GPU on the market and require very good cooling systems.  The reason why the laptops eventually fail to turn on at all is because the thermal paste on the processor and GPU wears off leaving the components without the necessary cooling agents to properly cool the chips.  The heat causes the GPU to become slightly loose in the board so you must heat it again and let it solidify once it's properly seated.  It's a terrible, terrible issue and it was all done to save a few dollars for HP.  That's why there's such an uproar about it.  And on top of it they pulled that shit with the "recall" (or so they like to call that BS they pulled).

The "recall" was a terrible thing that HP did to its loyal customers.  They put a limited recall out on the laptop series.  Unfortunately they never contacted the owners of these laptops (not even the registered owners!) about the problem and didn't directly link to the page about the recall on ANY page of their site!  It was just a hidden page deep in the HP website and they limited the time you had to redeem the recall.  The limited recall lasted a few months before they ended it.  Now if you call them up they tell you too bad and offer to fix it for you for $400.  HP will never be getting a penny of my money due to this crap.

Now it is possible to fix, but it's a board level repair.  The procedure is high risk and still experimental, but I've successfully repaired both a dv9000 and a dv2000 and destroyed another dv2000 (the dv2000, dv6000, and dv9000 were all affected by this recall).  I haven't tried it on a dv6000 yet, but it should be fairly similar to the dv2000 and dv9000 models.  This is board level repair with a high degree of difficulty.  Computer repair places don't even do this.  They send them out to specialized centers for repairs like this or just replace the board (which is usually cheaper).  But I fixed the dv2000 and dv9000 over a month ago and they're still both working great.  Unfortunately I cracked the Nvidia chip on the other dv2000 because it got too hot under the hand torch (this happens quite often in this type of repair which is why it's classified as high risk).  

The procedure is fairly simple in theory.  Take apart the entire computer down to the last part and locate the Nvidia chip.  Heat the chip to around 210 degrees to weaken the solder joints then push down on it and wait for the chip to cool.  Then apply a new copper conductor on top of the CPU and GPU and put Arctic Silver to each side of the copper conductor.  Then place the heat sink on top of the CPU and GPU and wait.  Push on the back of the board where the Nvidia chip is with approximately 5lbs of pressure for 10-15 minutes.  Let the laptop sit for an hour to let everything settle.  Then check to see if it will power on and operate normally.  The process should take around 4 hours in total.

If you have one of these laptops, STOP USING IT.  Take it in immediately and see if your model is affected.  It's easy to tell because the thermal paste will be gone/almost gone and there will be other symptoms.  There's a class action lawsuit against Nvidia regarding this issue (though from what I've seen I believe it's all HP's fault because they were being cheap with the cooling systems) and you may be entitled to compensation.  Visit this website for more details:

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Even HP makes mistakes. Just like those hondas. :rolleyes: I don't have any of these notebook computers but wouldn't installing a small watercooler or having a ventilated cooling pad be the best way to keep em' cool? I prefer Gateway anyday. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Gateway has had more failures than any other computer brand (excluding eMachines) since they partnered with eMachines back in 2004.  They've went the way of the cheap and their computers are absolute garbage now.  I have a top of the line Gateway computer from 2004 right before they partnered with eMachines and it's been the best computer I've ever had.  But now I see more Gateway and eMachines computers than any other.  Acer is partnering with eMachines (if they haven't already) so watch out for those too now.  Every computer is just crap.  The only two brands that have stayed strong are Sony Vaio and Toshiba.  Dell would be the next best choice, but stick away from their "bargain" laptops.  When the crappy WD Scorpio Blue drive fails on you in 6 months that "bargain" laptop isn't such a great bargain anymore. :rolleyes: Gateway is even making their hardcore systems crap now.  I've seen three top of the line Gateway systems come in this past week.  Each of them were over $1,500 new.  And they're all like a week out of the 1 year warranty period and the owners are understandably pissed.  I'm soldering so many Gateway capacitors my mind is going blank.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I have a Dell computer at the moment and, so far, it's worked well for me, with very few problems. It hasn't even slowed down enough for me to notice, and I've had it for over a year now.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
There's a reason I'm keeping my four year old Dell until it dies.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My clients are lucky I even do board level repairs.  No repair shop does them and I didn't used to.  But I want to offer my clients a solution that won't cost $200 for a desktop and $300-$400 for a laptop to fix.  I really don't care how much the client spends so long as I make at least $100 off them.  So if I spend $100 on a board and charge $100 or installation (charging them $200 in total), my profit is $100.  If I solder on some new caps or replace the USB ports on a motherboard and charge the client $100, my profit is $100 and the client saves $100.  We both win.  And as an added bonus I don't have to wait for a new board to be shipped in from wherever.  

Since I started doing board level repairs I've started picking up dead G5 Imacs off Craigslist for $50 and $100 apiece and just repairing the PSU's or Motherboards.  Then I resell them for $400 or more depending on their condition and specs.  4x and 8x profit isn't bad either. :lol

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Toshiba is debatable in my opinion. The Toshiba notebook my mom bought was about $599 and got fried when a thunderstorm fried the Motherboard. Both my moms Toshiba, my dads Dell minitower and my Gateway notebook were in the same power strip and the only computer that got fried was the Toshiba. Sony can be a bit expensive. I have this 4 yr old Gateway notebook computer and it still works like a charm.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I've had had a HP Pavillion dv6000 Laptop, bought it 3,5 years ago. It worked great and I was always satisfied with the performance.

The main board has to be repaired 1 or 2 years ago. The HP service repaired it immediately and everything was fine... until now.

My laptop shuts down and restarts automatically after 10 seconds. This won't stop until I cut the energy supply. The screen is black all the time. I'm sure it's totally broken. However, I fortunately saved a lot of money so I can buy me an efficient computer.

Even tough with the problems landbeforetimelover mentioned in the first post, I can't say anything negative to the HP dv6000 laptop. It worked perfectly all the years, and the HP service was great (well, in my case).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Both my moms Toshiba, my dads Dell minitower and my Gateway notebook were in the same power strip

That's your problem right there.  #1, don't plug three computers into one outlet.  $2, don't use surge protectors.  They're useless.  Use UPS battery backups instead.  Any computer can die from a power surge.  Whether or not it does is just luck of the draw.  The Toshiba likely got the largest jolt and/or had the lowest rated PSU.  Neither would be the fault of the manufacturer.  

And like I said, not all Gateways are bad.  Hell, I've seen perfectly good working ten year old eMachines computers, and everyone knows what piles of junk they are.  But the vast majority of Gateway and eMachines computers are going to have severe problems sooner rather than later.  You can't build a computer on the cheap and expect it to work well for you.

As for Sony Vaio's yeah they're expensive but well worth it.  Besides if you always buy used like I do, the brand really doesn't matter much to the price.