The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 78399

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Without collision, players will be able to walk right through trees.  This will both make the game feel pretty weird, as well as limit the functionality of trees in the game.  I would really like to have it possible to let players touch trees, use them as tactical cover, allow flyers to crash-land (or land properly) in them, etc.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
yeah,but some of the best MMOs don't have collisions with their trees you could just walk right through them.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Yeah well, "all the best MMOs" are all carbon copies of Everquest. Which means they're boring.

Adding collision will increase gameplay quality. It'll add more functionality to the game, more interactivity. Make it more interesting overall. Small things like that all come together in the end to make up what's fun about a game.

And if I'm not mistaken, the game won't be about killing sharpteeth over and over and over and over and over and over and over, then get a quest to kill sharpteeth over and over and over and over, and if I'm not mistaken again, that's all you do in "the best MMOs", so comparing the game to "the best" isn't a good way to decide what should be in the game, and what shouldn't. And, if I'm not mistaken for a third time, the game will rely heavily on the enviroment to do puzzles, challenges, things of that nature (lol, you get it? trees? nature?), like the gang does in the movies and TV episodes.

The point of making the LBT game isn't to be another one of the "best MMOs".

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Right you are, Alex.  We're trying to reinvent the MMO genre with this game, taking it in a direction away from the stereotypical boringness that MMOs have always been (and remained, for strange reasons :p).

It seems like the technical problems never end for this project but I'm sure we'll work out a way around everything eventually.

Oh..and rest assured, the goal of the LBT game isn't to be the "Worst MMO" either. :p  :lol

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well I think it is going to be the best. It has the potential. It's just that, as of now, the "best" (most popular) MMO's are like..click something..watch your guy kill it..click on something else..and on and on and on.

Not only best in terms of gameplay and such, but community, also. Instead of 13 year olds calling each other "idiot fags" every few minutes, if it has a community like the GOF does, it'll actually be pleasent to play with other people.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I completely agree.  As long as we don't get physically stopped by technical stuff, our game looks like the most entertaining online game I've ever seen, in theory.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
to tell you the truth its gonna be the best that is if you and mumbling get passed the collison bug.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not a programmer, so I cannot help Tim with the bug. Maybe if I sit next to him and look at the code for a long time I can come up with something genius again like I did with the underwater one.. But I doubt it :p

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The Wikipedia Computing Reference Desk may help. It's a place where you can ask questions about programming, computers, and tech stuff in general. Some very smart people are regulars on that desk, and they can probably help find your problem, if you ask.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, that was really posted 3 days ago? Where'd the time go? :p

Anyway, thanks for the link, LB&T. :) I did some searches on it and there isn't anything that relates to the code packages I'm using for our game's development, sadly.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It's Wikipedia, so you post your own question. Go to the top, hit "Ask a new question by clicking here", and type in a heading that sums up the question, and fill in the big box with everything you want to tell them. Within the day (sometimes in minutes) responses will start coming in, to help you.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all!

Mumbling sent me a little Adventures window graphic so I thought I'd try and make it start doing something. :p

It's not very interesting yet but we have some big plans!  

As you can see, the text appears properly in the window, no matter where it appears on the screen.

Also, I replaced the Health/Stamina meter with some nice graphics, also from Mumbling.  Thanks! :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It looks pretty good and doesn't block the central vision.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Glad you're liking it so far!

I've been doing some more interface stuff today, such as:

1) The addition of the abilities bar across the bottom.  The ability button that's there on the left is not yet functional but it will be soon.

2) The addition of the ring of buttons on the bottom right.  These buttons can be toggled visible or invisible by pressing the large center button.  The small buttons open up various windows/functions of the game, such as inventory, stats, ability information, etc.  They're just an alternative to using hotkeys to open these windows for those who prefer.  The large, inner button works perfectly fine right now but the outer ring of buttons do not do anything yet.  Also, the graphics are placeholders for now.
Again..thanks to Mumbling for the grey button of awesomeness. :p :angel

I will also create some options later on for how visible the interface elements will be (transparency level, on/off, etc.) for players who prefer more interface stuff on the screen for easy access, or for players who prefer to have less clutter.

Anyway, screenshot time!

With the full ring of buttons showing:

And with the ring of buttons turned off:

Getting that button to work without breaking any of the camera control was a royal pain, but it finally works so I'm excited and felt like posting up some screenshots. :p :lol

Also, the new transparent area in the bottom left will hold an Experience point progress meter, showing your % completion to the next level.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
WOW! It's starting to look better and better every day.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hehe that's awesome tim! I really like what you get done in those 2 days that you're off! :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Amazing what I can do when I'm not sleeping all day! :p :lol

Thanks everyone, it's going awesome! :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile