The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

help with viruses

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
If its just for downloading to try stuff, you shouldn't need top of the line stuff if its going to be a target for viruses.  I would use a lesser system for such a task and leave your good stuff for things that actually work.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well a lot of the stuff is many gigabytes in size.  Not that it matters much.  My master is by no means my best machine.  The $1,000 one I had in the video I posted earlier could beat it at more advanced tasks.  The point is that I don't really care if I get viruses or not.  I run 99% of my stuff off my server.  I consider that my only computer and my other computers to just be a way of communicating with it.  My moms macs are the only computers that are entirely separate from the system.  I don't want a mac mucking with my server and such.  The function of individual PC's in my house are to access information from the server and download potentially dangerous files.  If I like the file and it's clean, it gets sent to my server.  I still have a lot of stuff stored on my master computer but that's just because I haven't gotten around to deleting stuff yet.  My main master only has a 320gb hard disk as its main disk.  Then it has a bunch of others ranging from 500gb-1,000gb.  I don't like to have large main HD's because the main ones are the first to go.  320gb is an absolute minimum for me though when it comes to main drives.  My main HD was completely full a few days ago but I just cleaned it up of stuff I sent to my server.  Here is its current status:

I like to keep my main disk as clean as possible.  It makes your computer faster when you've got a clean main disk.  My others are pretty much 100% full though.  I need to do some cleaning.  It's such a pain in the butt.......