The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What would you like to see in a LBT sequel?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
As the title says: What you would likw to see in a LBT sequel? Heck, what plot would you like to see used?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I guess this is one of those topics we've discussed over and over =p I'd love to see a reappearence of Ali, and that this time she staied in the great valley, and that they enhance a possible "love" relationship between Ali and Littlefoot, I'd think that would be cool... Maybe it has already been done, in LBT 4 Ali acts like she has a crush on him (it's so cute  :rolleyes: ) but I'd like to see it more developed than in lbt 4
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
*removing my rose colored glasses that say "I hate sequels" for a moment to answer this question*

The one thing I most certainly would do, is keep out songs.  The original worked fine without them.  I'm not even in favor with the Dreamworks method of putting in pop songs instead of having characters sing--while better in some cases, I think an instrumental score would be the best.

Plotwise, I'm not sure what else can be done.  Let's put it this way--this film was never meant to have a sequel.  Never.  The ending tells all:

And they all grew up together in the valley.
Generation upon generation.
Each passing on to the next, the tale of their ancestors journey to the valley.
Long ago.

I guess the only sequel that could theoretically work and not discredit the original film's ending, is to have all the characters grown up, and their offspring somehow follow a similar plotline, to therefore have some sort of story that can be related to, and why certain actions shouldn't be taken (Threehorns never play with long necks, etc.).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I really like most of the sequels and I don't have a problem with most of the songs either. It is probably almost impossible to create another movie of the original movies quality (if it is really impossible we won't know because they don't try), but there are still lots of plots possible. Plots that do not contradict the original movie and that stick to the limits given by it. I'm planing / writing on five fanfictions at the moment all of which fulfill the critereas named above.

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Yeah, Littlefoot still needs to get a girlfriend. LOL. You know, with the first movie and all.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are other characters who would fit well into another sequel too. Pterano for example. I was not too enthusiastic about LBT 7 as a whole, but he is an interesting character and I think there could well be a story about him either earning his reputation or (less likely) looses it for all times. When I heard about the title of the upcoming sequel (the day of the flyers) I thought it might indicate a return of Pterano, but it as already been said that he won't be around.
However, new land before time stories need not necessarily revolve around a returning characters. There are still quite a few possibilities that have not yet been exploited.
Personally I don't like the frequently mentioned idea of letting the characters grow up, have their own children etc.

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: JojotheIncredible,Jul 30 2005 on  05:51 PM
Yeah, Littlefoot still needs to get a girlfriend. LOL. You know, with the first movie and all.
It could be argued that Ali was a good girlfriend, hence all the cliched fanfics about the two reuniting. I wouldn't care for a "character X gets a mate" story, as I find kiddie-friendly romances to be somewhat mushy.

EDIT: Cut out some inappropriate innuendo.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There is only one thing that I feel should be in a sequel. Something unexpected and never thought of before.

I personally have two plots that I would like to see. One of them is showing how not only the planet is changing, but also how the gang is. Both physically and mentally. It would be good to see how an argument could destroy their friendship, and then a life-threatening situation resulting from that argument would bring them together again.

Another plot I would like to see is one that a villain takes advantage of a flaw in one of the five's beliefs.
For Littlefoot, someone who abuses his trusting nature. He would not believe the rest of the gang because of his trust, and that it would take a lot of evidence to prove his trust wrong.
For Cera, someone who uses her pride to his/her advantage. She would be too proud to ask her friends for help.
For Petrie, someone who uses his fear to manipulate him. He would be too scared to not listen to the puppetmaster, and would not ask his friends to help out of fear.
For Ducky, someone who takes advantage of her gullibility and good-heartedness. She would be too believing to listen to her friends, if the villain has shown enough to her to make her think he/she is a good friend.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Spike is missing from your list. :lol: Not much to say on him, eh?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I would love to have a sequel where Littlefoot to make some sort of mistake and his competance as a leader is questioned because of it.  Then, another dino of some sort (I really don't care what kind) steps in and temporarily takes his place but then the gang gets into some sort of trouble and Littlefoot steps in and shows them why he's their leader and redeems himself and is reinstated as leader again by the gang.  Of course other things can happen.  This opens many possibilities.  The gang could get in trouble many ways and there are many mistakes Littlefoot can make.  I think it'd be a great idea for a sequel, unlike the plot for LBT 13 that seems very weak. <_<

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Littlefoot made a mistake in LBT 11, but no one else really "took over" (more on that later). The leader replacement occurred in the TV episode "The Big Longneck Test." Shorty messed that one up big time. :lol

However, I don't think that Littlefoot is a formal "leader." He just kind of keeps things going. He's not really in much of any sort of control at all, at least in my opinion. He's presented as the main character in the series, which probably heightens the leader sensation. He does seem to make a lot of big decisions, though....

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 21 2007 on  06:44 PM
Spike is missing from your list. :lol: Not much to say on him, eh?
He's the silent one. His personality is as of yet mostly a mystery. There are no observable flaws in his personality because is has not been expressed.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 21 2007 on  07:08 PM
He's presented as the main character in the series...
This is another thing I would like to see in the sequel. Littlefoot is not portrayed as the central main character. Just a side main character.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover,Nov 21 2007 on  06:39 PM
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 21 2007 on  07:08 PM
He's presented as the main character in the series...
This is another thing I would like to see in the sequel. Littlefoot is not portrayed as the central main character. Just a side main character.
Wow. That's a statement you don't hear everyday.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Seeing some of the characters who were shown living in the valley, or heading to the valley who do the usual poof and gone would be nice.  Perhaps getting in some new writers who can write some better scripts then some, since some seem not to pleased with certain movies, some being better written then others.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Here's what I would like to see: Chomper and Ruby's presence, or even the first time Ruby came, into the Valley, and how Chomper got off that Mysterious Island in the first place.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Those would be good scenes in a movie.  We've only seen bits of her jouney to the Great  Valley in a tv episode, not the whole story.  Nor how Chomper's parents knew Ruby's, or how, out of the many options, they got off of the island.

They should do it soon, unless the series is set in another universe, like an earth 2 type of place or after the movies.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
We seem to have some similar ideas lbt/cty_lover.
It would be good to see how an argument could destroy their friendship, and then a life-threatening situation resulting from that argument would bring them together again.
This is an idea which I really think could be turned into a good story, but I see no need for the characters to mature to realize such a plot. The first fanfiction I ever wrote was titled "The Big Quarrel" and it was based on the fact that we never ever actually heard Cera take back her offense of Littlefoot's mother. When for false pride she refuses to do so when coincidentally the long past event is brought up again the result is a fight which threatens to destroy the friendship between Littlefoot and Cera once and for all and the same goes for their friendship with Ducky, Spike, and Petrie. That story involved a reappearance of Ali too. I guess I made the plot a bit too simple, but still the basic idea could be turned into something better.
Another plot I would like to see is one that a villain takes advantage of a flaw in one of the five's beliefs.
Yes! And in the best case a villain whose evilness is not obvious from the first moment. You could tell Pterano was bad from the moment he first appeared on the screen. A cunning deceiver would be really interesting, but it is not easy to think of plausible motives for the villainy of dinosaurs who usually should be just happy when there is enough food and water.
One such cause for villainy which I think could be more elaborated in a story is racism. Cera in particular is prone to fall for such a deceiver though I doubt it would be easy after all the experiences she made with "hornless" throughout her life. The misleading of one character could of course put the friendship on a very difficult test.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like you have some story ideas in mind, some interesting ones.

Bruton the Iguanodon

For characters, I'd definitely like to see Ali, Mo, Archie, Elsie, and Ichy and Dil. I also think Chomper's parents should be brought back. I'd also like to see the land of mists and the big water again. It's appearence in movie 9 was to brief and it didn't even appear in the f***ing TV series!!!