The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Co-op or Competitive Multiplayer?

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey gamers!

Just another pointless thought that passed my mind and figured I'd open the floodgates to the GoF gaming community. When (if) you play multiplayer for games, do you prefer to play co-operatively with a partner or competitively (in a team or otherwise) against other human players? If so, any given reason as to why you prefer one over the other. Maybe you don't like multiplayer games at all and choose to avoid them. Either way, would be great to hear your T&Vs on the subject.

For the record, I've always preferred co-op games rather than competitive games. I play Resi 5 constantly because I just like the feel of you and you partner against the world and helping each other to survive. Granted you can get some numpties who don't know what they are doing and things can go to pot (e.g. the infamous Leroy Jenkins incident. If you haven't seen this YouTube video I suggest you check it out. Awesome comical value! :lol ), but I've always liked helping others out and working together to overcome the challenges the game throws at you.

Over to you guys! Whad'dya think? ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd always go for co-op games. If you play on your own, it's simply not as interesting to show your best side. The only downside of co-op games is the community, as sometimes gamers can be complete asses :p

Also I'd say it depends on the game and how well you know the game. If you're still a new player I'd never go PVP, but would play against NPCs first. ^^

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
TEAM FORTRESS 2

As I live and breathe this game, so I would have to say competitive. It's just more satisfying to defeat other human beings; you know that every person you defeat had the skills and potential to defeat you, unlike bots.

On the other hand, I have a select group of friends where we compete in TF2 tournaments, and I'm the team Medic, so maybe I play kinda cooperative to.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm really into co-operative games because you must work with each other to complete the objectives or die. Left 4 Dead is a great game to play with friends but if you’re playing with people that have not played the game before it's never fun. So I and my friend always find our self-leaving them behind to die because there keep leaving the game, team killing and other reasons. And because of how we work together and not with other people we never die and we always have a great time.

I never like this on any other game know.  :lol

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The only multiplayer game I've played so far is World of Tanks, a team-based competitive game.  You can play as a tank (light, medium, & heavy), self-propelled gun, or tank destroyer, from any of four countries in the era from WW1 to the opening years of the Cold War (currently USA, Russia, France, & German.  There are also UK tanks w/ Soviet marks, and a Chinese Type 59.  More countries to come soon.)  Once you select your vehicle, with upgrades that you gain by playing, you get into an equalized random match on random terrain, and either destroy the opposing team or capture their flag.  Because the teams are generally equal, victory depends solely on your skills and your teamwork.  What you earn in experience and credits depends on your team's victory or defeat, and what you've done in detecting, damaging, and destroying your enemies.  It's free to play, but you'll have to pay to get "premium" tanks, gear, and ammunition.

So far, the majority of my gear are American vehicles of Tier 3 & 4 (Tiers are level types, the more powerful the vehicle, the higher the Tier, from 1 to 10), with a Tier 3 Soviet M3 Stuart which was a prize I gained for completing the tutorial.  Sometimes the matches get weird, as I end up taking a Tier 4 light tank to go against Tier 7 & 8 heavy vehicles.

I also heard that the company that made this game will also be making World of Warships and World of Planes.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Co-op! Without a doubt. Someone always ends up turning into a jerk whenever I tried competitive multiplayer. At least Co-Op FORCED us to get along.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Sometimes you'll find jerks in competitive matches on World of Tanks, but mostly you'll just recognize them off the sight's chat room.  Most of the time, everyone's nonchalant and focused on the game, and you'll find out their personalities from their actions.  Some players go on solo suicide missions, others "camp" in the back of the map, trying to avoid encountering larger opponents, and the majority actually work together to try and win.  Once in a while, you'll have a teammate attacking you and the others of your team at the start of the match, forcing us to dispatch him.  I've been shot intentionally by a teammate once at the very start of the match, but those incidents are recorded, and those kind of people are banned from playing.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Though I enjoy playing competetively, like in SoulCalibur 5, I'll always prefer the co-op games. There's something really satisfying about working as a team to beat a tough game, like Left 4 Dead 2 on expert mode. Though usually if I'm playing a private game with friends I'll end up betraying some of them at one point or another  :rolleyes:

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I am definitely 100% all for Co-op. There is really nothing better than going through a game killing baddies with your friends :smile I am actually one of the least competitive people you will ever meet, and I avoid all PvP-oriented games like the plague. Competition of any sorts is not something I enjoy, so I simply stay away from it.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I prefer co-op over competition. Loved playing games like Gauntlet Legends and Diablo 2 when i was younger. Though I do like playing competitive to a degree. Games like Smash bros, mario kart, soul calibur can be really fun with friends. NSMB Wii's 4 player "co-op" was a good frantic mix of both.