The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mysteriousness in the land before time

Kristalla

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Thanks! ^_^

I just saw The Stone of cold fire.. o.o The aliens were awesome. XD;

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
A matter of opinion I suppose. In my opinion it would have been better to keep the rainbowfaces more mysterious rather than let them have this obvious Star Trek departure which I consider part of a genre the land before time does not belong to.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
A matter of opinion indeed.

I actually loved that surprise ending. It leaves one wondering about things. Alien involvement with our world in history for one which has always been a fascination to me.

But that doesn't mean my opinion should conflict with Malte's here, I totally respect his opinion and understand the level he's coming from.

LBT is more historical fantasy based than anything, adding science fiction elements could disrupt that pattern

oh, and once again, welcome to the forums, Krystalla! Glad you could come and join this little happy family on the web!

this is the true Great Valley that exists on the internet!

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I actually think it's a nice quality of the film. It adds a bit of mystery into the LBT world, working to separate it from ours. It's one of the reasons I like the film.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I enjoyed the mysterious quality to this film, a thing most LBT movies lack.  Though I don't think they all should be mysterious, having some now and then would be nice.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In my opinion (once again just one opinion among many different other opinions ;)) the ending of LBT 7 actually disrupted the mystery of the movie. In case of LBT 6 the mystery was maintained as a mystery (though I was told the myth of the lone dinostaur too was demystified as a plain fact in the TV series) while in LBT 7 the mystery of the lone dinosaurs was solved while the stone of cold fire turned out to be nothing but a usual meteor (with no explanation whatsoever on why it looked and sounded different to Littlefoot). There was still the fact that apparently stones of cold fire were supposed to exist somewhere but this alone leaves a somewhat slim rest of a mysteriousness in the movie.

I shall clip this mysteriousness discussion from the welcoming thread and move it to a section for LBT discussion. This could be an interesting discussion, especially if we expand it to mysteriousness in all LBT movies in general :yes

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One thing about LBT is that they are really not thrifty with the word mysterious even in places where there doesn't seem to be much of a mystery.
The mysterious beyond is where many of the Great Valley's inhabitants used to live before they came to the Great Valley. What makes it so mysterious? And would migrating dinosaurs find anything mysterious about it?
Not much of a mystery in case of the mysterious island either as far as I can see.
The German title of "The Secret of Saurus Rock" is "Der geheimnissvolle Berg der Saurier" which translates "The mysterious Mountain of the dinosaurs". In a sense there is some mystery about that place. Are those teeth around the rock's neck real teeth? How much substance is there to the legend of the lone dinosaur? I have not watched the TV series episode which apparently disenchants the mystery of the lone dinosaur (identifying Doc as the one without any doubt), but there is not really too much of a mystery about the lone dinosaur anyway. A lone dinosaur who does what other LBT dinosaurs had done before...
Come to think of it this last statement is not quite true. In the original movie Littlefoot's mother payed with her life for defeating the sharpooth in a one to one fight. In LBT 2 Littlefoot's grandpa was defeated and only saved by the intervention of a flyer (presumably Petrie's mum) when he took on a sharptooth all by himself. Chomper's parents were defeated only when they were outnumbered. In LBT 3 it is again a large group of leafeaters against a smaller group of sharpteeth rather than a one to one fight. So LBT 6 in fact was the first time a single sharptooth was defeated by a single leafeater (sharpteeth began to degenerate from there on).
Anyway, I'm straying from the topic.
It seems that the German translations make more frequent use of mystery and secrets than the English original versions. LBT 11 is "Das Geheimnis der kleinen Saurier" ("The secret of the little saurians"). I don't see a big secret in the story except perhaps that they are hiding from the larger dinosaurs for reasons that were never explained. There was not exactly an invasion in that movie either though  :lol

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 But I admit that I like much more the german translation for the 11? movie.
 I have watched a lot of Star Trek so it was easy for me to figure it out about the Rainbow faces, and it is my opinion that the final of the 7? movie had a good twist for me, and for Littlefoot it is very like OMG.... (cannot post the entire thing :D ). Those dinos knew too much from the beginning so it was obvious they came from "other place", maybe they could have gone in another way, but I don't think they teleportation would disrupt too much for the movie in general, becasue as I said, it was a good twist and useful to add something different to the saga.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
aond likely a one shot.  I doubt they'll be appearing in any tv series episode.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Me neither, I think they came, did what they have to do and then they went back to their home.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yet without that Star Trek departure there would have been a lot more room for interpretation ranging from the Rainbowfaces as mere show offs pretending to know about stuff they only guessed about (though I admit that such an interpretation would have been unlikely because of the exchanges between the Rainbowfaces), to the rainbowfaces as some kind of spirits from wherever cloud images originate that lead little dinosaur kids to the Great Valley.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
LBT seven didn't get into my top 5 movies because quite frankly, the characters looked really bad and the alien thing was a bit much.  I would have much rather had the rainbow faces just disappear than have them get "beamed up" by Scotty. :lol

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
First of all, I like a good, sound ending that reveals a little about the movie itself, where it reveals enough to let the viewer know at least a part of what was going on, but manages to leave or create more questions than it answers to keep me curious and wanting to see more (unless, of course, it's the final or finale movie. I would definitely want a full resolution in that case). The ending of LBT negated the whole idea of the stone bearing any magical powers, but it also created more questions than it answered about the identity of the rainbowfaces. What in blue bologna where they doing there!? Are they extraterrestrials? I look at the ending with great satisfaction, leaving me to wonder who they were, are what they are doing on that planet.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I agree, it was like an open ending, open to make yourself questions, even now there are tons of mysterious things happening, so why not then?
 What are the Rainbow faces? not because they were beamed out that means they are aliens, maybe they are spirits from the skies; or maybe they were aliens disguised and that can help understand how they knew so much, like the even t near the ending that helped the Gang to reach the top of the mountain sooner. There is no really a way how to know that. They were here to fulfill a mission and they succeded.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Any mysteries maintained by the rainbowfaces seem to be very far apart from LBT though. What was their mission, where were they coming from, what does their vehicle look like etc. All these are questions I wouldn't really want to know about as all of these doesn't seem to fit to LBT. Perhaps it is more like the nature of the mystery revealed that makes me unhappy with LBT 7 rather than the fact that it was revealed. It is a matter of opinion of course.