The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anatomy

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was recently watching the original Land Before Time movie when I got to the scene where Littlefoot, Petrie, Ducky, and Spike were covered in tar (or whatever it was). I noticed that Cera grabbed Littlefoot's tail to get free. The way she grabbed was exactly how a human would grab. This completely contradicts the natural anatomy of any quadruped. I am wondering why this was done instead of Littlefoot just releasing her? I might be complicating this thing far too much, but I just want to see what everyone here thinks.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could have been an animation mistake that wasn't caught.   One would think most toes are to short to grab much of anything, assuming said being could wiggle or move their toes at all.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My point is that the way she grabbed was too much like the way a human hand would work. All quadrupeds lack opposable thumbs, which give bipedal life-forms the ability to grab.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think a couple of anatomy errors have been made in LBT :slap.  Where the devil are Cera's other horns, even bony stubs of them? Spike has no stubs on his tail, either.  Petrie, at times, resembles a bat-like anatomy :o :blink:.  I think it makes the animators' job easier by omitting some of these "complex" features.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah. However, I think that Cera freeing herself shows her attempts at independence.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Likely they do take shortcuts, and make some mistakes also.  There is a thread on here talking about, and showing, some animation mistakes.  

Simplying things does make things easier, like human animated characters often have one less finger then real humans.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are many scenes in LBT in which dinosaur anatomy is somewhat "adapted" to the requirements.
Not only does Ducky have four fingers but also an opposable thumb (I'm not sure if even Iguanodon's thumb was opposable).
We have many scenes in which the quadruped characters perform movements which they couldn't realistically do. They could never grab the vine the way they do in LBT 7 when it snaps.
In LBT 3 we have Littlefoot rear up on his hindlegs and spreading his "fingers" to signal uncertainty (about why the Thundering falls are gone).
In many movies (e.g. Cera in LBT 4) we have quadruped characters sit in a very human manner. This would require their shoulders to have very exposed ball and socket joints, same as a human arm, a theory that is also suggested by the fact that the knees of the character's front legs sometimes point forward and sometimes backwards.
There are countless other examples, but they are really something that I consider fun to discuss but not a point of real criticism. Dinosaurs couldn't talk to begin with :lol

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I don't see the problem here. LBT series is cartoons after all. :)

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As I said, I might have been complicating this thing too much. However, my question was answered by Malte best. Adaptations to suit the situation would make a lot of sense.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That does seem pretty much a bad animation mistake.  My toes look longer then Cera's, but I doubt I could grasp Littlefoot's tail with them, a pencil yes, but not unlikely anything as thick as Littlefoot's tail.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
It's just a children's series... and you are right to assert that the quadrupeds limbs were unable to grab things...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In rewatching some of the movies and such I've noticed there are sometimes other, perhaps, animation mistakes where briefly Cera looks like she has an opposable toe on at least one or both of her front feet.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are similar scenes for Littlefoot too. And Ali also sports and opposable toe in the scene right after her head hit the trunk during the rescue of Cera. Her foot really looks like a hand in that scene.
There is nothing wrong with pointing out such examples and listing them, but I want to reassure everyone pointing out that it is just a cartoon for children, that I totally agree with them in thinking of these adaptations of anatomy as no point of criticism. The range of creative freedom is already limited within the boundaries provided by the setting of the land before time. Being too strict about the characters possibilities with regard to their lack of real hands etc. would further limit the authors' liberty.
Nevertheless there is no harm in pointing out these scenes.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 19 2008 on  04:43 AM
Not only does Ducky have four fingers but also an opposable thumb (I'm not sure if even Iguanodon's thumb was opposable).
Ducky is not an Iguanodon.

Also, Strut and Ozzie are shown moving their fingers. Struthiomimuses can only use their "hands" as a hook to pull foliage close to eat.

Still, you know what I say, "Please leave your science at the door."

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've said something like in another thread, taking a line from a series likely forgotten today, mst3k.   Talking about this or that in LBT can be fun, but you  have to remember to say to yourself once in a while

"It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ducky is not an Iguanodon.
Thanks for reminding me, I wasn't aware :P:
I just brought in the Iguanodon as this species is known for their prominent thumbs.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if they'd be called something like spikethumbs, or something like that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In one fanfiction I referred to them as thornthumbs.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Something odd I've noticed about threehorn anatomy(and perhaps other quadrapeds) is that they did not have a rotator-cuff joint(aka ball-and-socket joint) at their shoulders :huh:.  My first thought was that the upper rotator-cuff joints are not built for bearing a full weight load.  Don't know; just a thought... :unsure:.