The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why does everyone like Pterano so much

Guest · 16 · 2041

Bruton the Iguanodon

Why is it that so many fans seem to obsess, or even worship Pterano? For example:

What would Pterano (the most beautiful and graceful flyer ever smell like.

I find it sad that Pterano is practically what the Backstreet Boys were in the late 90's, and yet no one seems to give a damn about his sister, Petrie's mom---a character who's appeared far more and is far more amiable. I, for one, am proud to say thay I really like her and definitely consider superior to her brother. If you're gonna love an adult flyer in LBT, why not love Petrie's mom? I think she's extremely underated---she doesn't even appear in this video that shows the gang's relationship with their parents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6aTEWUdSOg

We've actually seen her going near a sharptooth in 2, wheras...we haven't seen Pterano being brave enough to distract one, not even in that flashback.

I'm not making this topic to bash Pteranolovers, but I just don't understand why he's as popular as he is. Sure, it's a celebrity voicing him, but Pat, Bron and Sue are voiced by well known actors and they certainly don't have as huge of a fanbase as Pterano---which is really sad in Sue's case, seeing as she's one of my faovirtes!  :wub

At first I thought that everyone liked him cause of his "color change"---how he's one of the few grey characters in LBT, initally kind of bad but turning good in the end. I mean, I thought the topic "Pterano's color change" was about this! But I think I've been proved wrong:
?
QUOTE (LettuceBacon&Tomato @ May 24 2010, 01:01 AM)
What is it with Pterano that makes some of our users so obsessed with him? .

Even The Guys Want Him.

Although I think Serris may have been sarcastic there...? (But to be perfectly honest, I can relate to anyone who considers an LBT character attractive, even if it's a little weird.)

My point is, I don't see why he gets all the accaim he gets, going as far as being turned into "God Pterano" and given a whole dramatic death, which I thought was pretty sick, and becoming practiacally getting as much attetion on this forum as Britney Spears and Justin Beeber have gotten.

My point being, it seems Pterano gets too much attention.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't think he gets "too much attention". If anything, he gets about the same attention as many other LBT characters I've seen. I don't see why it bothers you that a lot of fans like him.

Also, Sue and Pat did not have a lot of appearances in LBT10 as opposed to Pterano in the 7th movie. Sue and Pat were not really main characters; they were more of supporting/side characters. But the 7th movie was largely about Pterano, so he is more focused on it, and we get to know more about him than we do Sue and Pat. That may influence how many people like him as opposed to some other characters.

And I wouldn't say that "nobody gives a damn about Pterano's sister"; I see no evidence of fans really ignoring her.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I became a fan of Pterano when I was seven years old. He became one of the first characters I did fan art of and came up with stories for. Heck, he was the first character I did a "fan child" for. Granted, she was a great big enormous Mary Sue then, but I've kept her and developed her...majorly. She was just a frightening mess all those years ago XD .

I like Pterano because, in a way, he was something of an influence for what I do personally, what I like doing. He's a character where I've "clung" to him long enough to see differences in why I like him compared from then and now.  

Like DH said, Pterano has more limelight than Pat or Sue or his sister.

Bruton the Iguanodon

His sister has appeared wayyy more throughout the series.

And what about the raibowfaces? They were awesome too.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm a fan of Pterano because I found him to be the most complex "antagonist" of the franchise. Besides Michael York voicing him, Pterano had a very troubled past with what had happened with the herd. He learned the hard way that you have to be accountable for your actions, even one as drastic as getting half of the herd killed under his lead. While his intentions for finding the stone were selfish, although I would argue not anywhere near as selfish as Rinkus and Sierra's, he never wanted to harm any of the children. He may have been blinded by his ambitions, but he was not an entirely lost soul. Sure it's a bit cliche how he becomes good in the end, but because the franchise isn't supposed to be built on entirely strong film motifs, it fit perfectly for the story.

Why does Petrie's mother not get the same attention as Pterano? Well, in my opinion, she's not really that developed of a character. Yes we have seen her go up against a couple sharpteeth, but she really doesn't do much of anything. This may be because in terms of adults in the herd Threehorn, the Longnecks and Tria seem to have more appearances throughout the sequels and TV series. If you ask me, the franchise wouldn't be at much of a loss if Petrie's mother never got a single line of dialogue because she just isn't that important of a character.

What would happen if the other three adults I just mentioned weren't featured as much or at all. We would lose the words of wisdom from the Longnecks to Littlefoot as well as the overall voice of reason for the herd. Threehorn is usually the one to start the dissension among the herd, and Tria is pretty important as a stepmother for Cera.

I'm not trying to bash anybody who likes Petrie's mother as a character. I'm just giving my opinion as to why Pterano is so loved over her.

Bruton the Iguanodon

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 22 2012 on  09:24 PM
I love her over Pterano. Isn't that okay!????!!  :cry
Well who told you it wasn't okay? If you like her more than Pterano that's fine. Why do you act as if the people who love Pterano would hate you for liking someone else more? I don't know of anyone here who would condemn you for saying you liked Petrie's mom more than Pterano.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, that's perfectly fine! Please don't get upset about this just because I liked a character that you don't and vice versa. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, and getting mad or upset about them is not going to make anything better.

So yes, it is okay that you like Petrie's mother so much. Just don't try to force people to believe in your opinions.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Um...didn't she try to ward of one of Chomper's parents when they came crashing into the Great Valley?

I like Petrie's mom, too. However, she seems to be a bit "flatter" than Pterano and really only seems to stand out in the seventh and eleventh movies (ESPECIALLY the eleventh). But she's still just "Petrie's mom" and we don't see her outside of "mom mode". Unless it's permanent =P . She just doesn't "do" as much, which is probably why she doesn't have a ton of limelight.

Though, from her behavior, I can make a ton of implications on her character, particularly about Pterano. She hates his guts, but she loves him because he is her brother (older brother, I think). She knows that he won't intentionally hurt anyone and doesn't mean it if it does happen to occur. And she was probably just as pained to see Pterano banished as Petrie was - and not to mention when he was kicked out of the herd.

Bruton the Iguanodon

(ESPECIALLY the eleventh).

You mean the 12th, I assume.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Jan 22 2012 on  09:44 PM
Um...didn't she try to ward of one of Chomper's parents when they came crashing into the Great Valley?
He did mention that in his post.

Yes we have seen her go up against a couple sharpteeth

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 22 2012 on  08:45 PM
(ESPECIALLY the eleventh).

You mean the 12th, I assume.
Yeeeessss, that is what I meant.

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
I like both of them pretty much equally. Petrie'm mom is nice, and Pterano's cool.  :)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Quote from: Duckia,Jan 22 2012 on  09:48 PM
Because Terrano is great
You spelt Pterano wrong.  :lol And yes, I agree. Personally I prefer him over Petrie's mom because he has more of a back story than she does and that he is quite the adventurer. Eeeyup.  :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol