The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Great Valley Isolation Syndrome.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Do you think there is a danger that the Great Valley residents could fall victim to isolation syndrome, where they are so disconnected from the outside world that they would have great trouble if they had to leave it for a long time (we do see this in 5 and perhaps in 3, cant'recall which, probably both.  But, so far, it hasn't happened again, and if the short time between 1 and 3 or 5 is enough to do that, the time between 5 and who knows when it will again, then they could be even more ill suited to it.

I did have a scenario where things got so isolated in that sense that, by the time the Gang of Five was near adulthood, the younger kids, about half the age of the Gang of Five, hadn't seen Sharpteeth and thought they were fictitious and made up by the grown-ups to scare kids into line.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This would definitely happen in isolation, not quite as fast as in one generation, but rather over 4-5, if humans are anything to go by. Look at our own society for example. If people had to suddenly start living and working the way their ancestors lived a mere 100 years ago, it would be quite a shock to them. Or when most immigrants no longer know anything about the culture of their ancestors after 2-3 generations. That said, as fast as people forget, they learn even faster. Already the first generation born after the transition (descendants of those who survived) will be completely adapted to the new situation. For a historical example, consider how the English language came to dominate the area of England. When Roman Britain, after two centuries of turmoil, finally collapsed in the wake of the Justinianian plague in the mid-500s, the area where the Germanic dialects that would later turn into the English language were spoken suddenly expanded from a narrow area hugging the eastern British coast to almost touching the border of present-day Wales and Cornwall. Within two generations this shift was complete, with barely a trace of the Celtic languages left in the area now occupied by the emerging Old English language. The reason for this rapid shift is not because the Germanic settlers (the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians) had the numbers to flood the British population (in fact, the population of Britain, the Romanized Celts, outnumbered the Germanic invaders more than 10 to 1), but because they had a simple, autarkic, yet militarily competent society that could function on very meager resources, which the sophisticated society of Roman Britain, dependant on a surplus of food and labour, Roman know-how and trade with the rest of the Roman Empire, no longer had at its disposal. The Romanized Celts found themselves under Anglo-Saxon lordship, and eagerly discarded their collapsing social model for the social model of these new elites. This went so far that not only they forgot their Celtic tongue, they also discarded their religion, Christianity, in favor of Germanic paganism (later on the English were baptized by Irish and Welsh missionaries).

So, the grandchildren of the Gang of Five would have a hard time without the Great Valley, but after a very nasty beginning they'd be living like the Gang of Five's parents did in the Mysterious Beyond rather quickly.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think they're forced out of the Great Valley too often for that, and also traveling herds come by too often for them to just forget what the outside world is like. Droughts or event like the 'leaf gobblers' coming and wiping out their local food supply would occasionally force them to leave the valley for a time. They might be a little unprepared, or 'rusty' in some areas, but they'd be able to adjust, like they did in movie 5, which you mentioned.

For whatever story you have planned, you could have them stay in the valley, with no visitors for awhile, if you wanted to, Littlefootandalitogether, it just seems unrealistic to me.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Jan 4 2015 on  03:05 PM
I think they're forced out of the Great Valley too often for that, and also traveling herds come by too often for them to just forget what the outside world is like. Droughts or event like the 'leaf gobblers' coming and wiping out their local food supply would occasionally force them to leave the valley for a time. They might be a little unprepared, or 'rusty' in some areas, but they'd be able to adjust, like they did in movie 5, which you mentioned.

For whatever story you have planned, you could have them stay in the valley, with no visitors for awhile, if you wanted to, Littlefootandalitogether, it just seems unrealistic to me.
The Gang of Five might venture outside the Great Valley, as they often have as much regard for the rules as some of our politicians.  

However, doesn't mean younger kids won't always stay in there and follow the rules.  Having lived their whole lives in the Great Valley, they may have heard of Sharpteeth from their parents, Far Walkers, or the Gang of Five, but some may be so stubborn like Topps that they won't believe it till they see one.  

For instance:

Littlefoot:  Yes, Sharpteeth are real.  
Young Clubtail:  I'll believe it when I see one.
Littlefoot:  Oh, you'll believe it when you see all right!
Ducky:  It may well be the last  thing you ever seeded, but you will believe it then, yep, yep, yep you will!