The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

In number 5---Topsy acting overly sensitive?

Guest · 11 · 2028

Bruton the Iguanodon

When Topps says, "This is all your fault longneck---my daughter is gone and I blame that boy of yours!" And grampa is like "Littlefoot---wha?!" And then topps looks seriously offended and is like "Well...I have to blame somebody, don't i...?"

Why the heck did he react like that? Grandpa didn't get mad, all he showed was surprise that Topps is scapegoating Littlefoot...is he more sensitive then he lets us know, or was something edited out? Darn, I wish I knew about the sequels' deleted scenes!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I doubt there was a deleted scene giving any explanations. It is part of his character to always look for someone responsible for anything (in LBT 6 we got another example same as previously in LBT 3). Add to that that the nerves of everyone were likely to rather down at this point (after a long time of walking through wastelands parched and starving and with the prospect of death) so this too may have heated up tempers. He is not a character whose actions are based on moderation and logic.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Topsy didn't look offended. He looked ashamed. That's how I see it. If he were offended, he would have gotten angrier, but he did not. He did look a little guilty and the "I have to blame somebody, don't I?" statement was just a feeble attempt to explain himself, not an expression of anger.

As Malte said, Topsy is the type of person, or dino in this case, who tries to find someone he can blame. Perhaps Topsy is insecure; perhaps he is worried that if he can't find someone else to blame, others will blame him instead and expect him to fix the problem he supposedly created.

I don't believe Topsy was angry when he said "I have to blame somebody" to Grandpa Longneck. He was pretty much admitting that he had a blame game problem to him, and admitting you have a problem is not always easy to do.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Sorry, I guess I meant ashamed, not offended. But Grampa didn't do any serious shaming to Topps, which is why I'm surprised Topps gave the response he did. I would have expected something like, "Yes, Longneck, I'm blaming your grandson. You gotta problem?!"

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
rewatching that scen again during the marathon, I was expecting him to say something like "Yeah, I'm blaming him. He's always getting the other kids in trouble!" His response sounded really odd to me too.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I didn't really find Topsy's response to be strange. Whenever I watched it, not at one time did I ever think "That was an odd response for him". Topsy basically still acted like himself, blaming Littlefoot for what happened. He may have realized that he didn't have a legitimate reason to blame him, no proof, thus he stammered when Grandpa Longneck questioned him on why he thought it was his grandson's fault.

I think by this time, Topsy respected Grandpa Longneck, even if he did not show it, and may have felt guilty, even just slightly, over his brash blame game on Littlefoot. The way he reacted, the way he spoke, suggests to me guilt, perhaps even shame, may have been involved. Even his facial expression leads me to conclude this.

I may decide to rewatch the scene sometime to make sure I didn't overlook any detail.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I doubt there was a deleted scene giving any explanations.

How the heck do you know there wasn't? For all we know there could have been a line where Grampa got angry and shamed Topps. I didn't mean to say, overly sensitive, I meant why was he acting ashamed? Nobody got mad at him or blamed him!! The fact that no one is responding is very frustrating because this is something that bugs me about the film

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Malte said he doubted there was a deleted scene; he never said that he was 100% certain there wasn't. It is hard to say if there is or isn't.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
How the heck do you know there wasn't? For all we know there could have been a line where Grampa got angry and shamed Topps. I didn't mean to say, overly sensitive, I meant why was he acting ashamed? Nobody got mad at him or blamed him!! The fact that no one is responding is very frustrating because this is something that bugs me about the film
With all due respect it can also be frustrating to get snapped at by you if one does respond but not whatever you wanted the response to say.
There is not the tiniest shred of evidence for a cut scene there which is why I take it for more likely that such a scene did not exist than to presume that there was just because you would like it to exist.

Bruton the Iguanodon

On close observation Grampa does look snappier in this scene then usual. Here's a shot of him:

Beware the nice ones, Topps.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Nov 4 2011 on  06:12 PM
When Topps says, "This is all your fault longneck---my daughter is gone and I blame that boy of yours!" And grampa is like "Littlefoot---wha?!" And then topps looks seriously offended and is like "Well...I have to blame somebody, don't i...?"

Why the heck did he react like that? Grandpa didn't get mad, all he showed was surprise that Topps is scapegoating Littlefoot...is he more sensitive then he lets us know, or was something edited out? Darn, I wish I knew about the sequels' deleted scenes!
It sounds like you misheard what he said. He said, "Littlefoot? Why?"
He knew he had no real reason to blame Littlefoot other than to put the blame on somebody. His response was still gruff, however you can tell he was just worried. He is known for handling situations the wrong way.