The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Most underrated sequels?

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Also, I'm not sure if people usually lump The Big Freeze in with the lesser liked ones, but I always assumed so since I remembered disliking it as a kid. But I rewatched it for the first time not too long ago and it definitely bumped up on the list for me, I can't even remember why I didn't like it now! I also really like Great Day of the Flyers but I don't know the general consensus, I'm way out of the loop on fandom. And I'm biased because I just really like pterosaurs.  :petrieLOL
I do feel like people don't talk enough about The Big Freeze. Its exploration of Ducky and Spike's sibling relationship, and Spike's place in a family of Swimmers, was just so heartwarming and relatable. It's definitely something that adopted kids would latch onto, and the film needs more credit than it's being given right now because of it.

I also like The Great Day of the Flyers because of the subplot with Cera and her new family, which really marked a turning point in the development of two characters (Cera and Topps) whose personalities seemed as if they would be relatively static throughout the franchise. Tria's presence and Tricia's birth really revealed a different side to Topps that I would've never expected pre-LBT 11, and it's refreshing to see Cera try and catch up with all the changes that are suddenly happening around her. Outside of that, I thought the animation and flying sequences were among the best animation stuff to come out of the sequels. I don't know about everyone else, but to me, it felt like the animators put their all into that movie.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Honestly without the Yellow Bellies The Wisdom of Friends probably would have been very boring. And I genuinely believe that.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I rewatched Invasion of the Tinysauruses and can absolutely abide by the idea that it's underrated, and it's largely thanks to Cera's arc in the film. Maybe it's just me, but she really does act like a kid dealing with a new step-parent and suddenly not being the center of her dad's world. Her anger coming out at her friends, and her keeping the tinysauruses a secret initially out of spite before finding that she really likes them and especially Lizzie.

It just feels like a really good movie for feelings talk. Topps trying to have a heart to heart with Cera especially. He really feels like he's come a long way, and it seems to me like a direct follow-up to Time of Great Giving. I really felt the line "This is so much harder than yelling" and just the acting in that scene really gets me. Topps is trying so hard to explain to Cera that his relationship with Tria could be a really good thing for all of them in a way she'll understand, and God, I feel like the whole "Someone to help [your dad] worry about you" could be a really good thing to help kids going through the same thing process a step-parent. That it's okay to feel angry and sad and hurt, but that a new parent isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, another shout-out to the scene where Littlefoot asks his friends to explain why they're mad at him, and it's very clearly explained that they're all having trouble with it, but they still manage to be clear about why without being entirely unreasonable. It's clear that they're still friends, but they need to be mad for a while and can't really talk to him in that state. Then, once that's done, they're able to realize how much they miss him being around. All of this is normal and a fine thing to do, even if it hurts Littlefoot and his friends in the moment. It's just a really good thing, I think, for kids to see and hopefully understand those kinds of feelings better. Just a really good movie for feelings and emotional development. Not quite as adventurous as say, movies 4, 5, 7, or 9, but still surprisingly good.

Excellent post. I couldn't have said it better myself. :yes

I also like The Great Day of the Flyers because of the subplot with Cera and her new family, which really marked a turning point in the development of two characters (Cera and Topps) whose personalities seemed as if they would be relatively static throughout the franchise. Tria's presence and Tricia's birth really revealed a different side to Topps that I would've never expected pre-LBT 11, and it's refreshing to see Cera try and catch up with all the changes that are suddenly happening around her. Outside of that, I thought the animation and flying sequences were among the best animation stuff to come out of the sequels. I don't know about everyone else, but to me, it felt like the animators put their all into that movie.

Another great point.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Another great point.
Thank you. I try, I try. :)

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Edit: Message retracted.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 08:14:17 PM by LittleDas75 »

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
To be honest, I feel like the 14th movie doesn’t get much attention.  I honestly loved it despite it’s weak points throughout the movie.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I've noticed 14 seems to get forgotten about a fair bit as well. I think because it's such an odd one in that it came out 9 years after The Wisdom of Friends and nothing has come out since. It just sort of came and went again. There are some things in there that annoy me, but not nearly as much as some of the other later sequels.

It seems a lot of people think Secret of Saurus Rock is underrated and I'm inclined to agree, probably because I watched it so much when I was younger.  :p

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

NatsnCats

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Confession time: when I feel down, I like to watch XIII just for a good laugh.  :PLoofah

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Confession time: when I feel down, I like to watch XIII just for a good laugh.  :PLoofah
Welcome to the party. :PLoofah

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I've noticed 14 seems to get forgotten about a fair bit as well. I think because it's such an odd one in that it came out 9 years after The Wisdom of Friends and nothing has come out since. It just sort of came and went again. There are some things in there that annoy me, but not nearly as much as some of the other later sequels.

It seems a lot of people think Secret of Saurus Rock is underrated and I'm inclined to agree, probably because I watched it so much when I was younger.  :p
Yeah, I think 14 should be talked a little bit more. Some of the creative choices may not have been great, but the production team seemed to know their stuff and did the best they could.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile

Definitely agree on Saurus Rock. I think folks get hung up on Dana & Dinah too much (but we’ve got some good songs + Doc, lol :DocSerious)

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I consider VI and XII underrated. I always liked them very much, VI has interesting storyline, good new characters, and XII I liked Guido, Ceras issue of being no longer an only child, and it was interesting to watch struggle of Petrie to fit in with his siblings, even when he has problems to do collective things, which others do easily, but he struggles a lot, because he is probably somewhat autistic. Close to home by me.

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Journey To Big Water is a favorite of mine. I think it it was reworked a bit it would be pretty much perfect.

00not_nathan00

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • instagram
Mhm That's a hard one. I would have to say IX  :Mo or III :threehornmad for me.
both of them for me where pretty good sequels but it seams that on the internet a lot of people dont really like them which is a bit sad :duckysad
cause I mean both of them had pretty good one off characters in Moe and the builles. aswell as pretty good plots so yeah     
Still waiting for the bluth cut

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Mhm That's a hard one. I would have to say IX  :Mo or III :threehornmad for me.
both of them for me where pretty good sequels but it seams that on the internet a lot of people dont really like them which is a bit sad :duckysad
cause I mean both of them had pretty good one off characters in Moe and the builles. aswell as pretty good plots so yeah   

It’s interesting you say that, since those are my two favorites, along with 5 and 14.